30 Minute Sections? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kkklick

Silver

Re: 30 Minute Sections?

Post by kkklick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:50 am

niederbomb wrote:Because, if I do have to retake, I will already have been studying for three weeks prior to receiving the score and deciding I definitely need to retake.

I only got through 19/22 LG on the real thing, rushed through the Bach passage in 8 minutes, and had erasure problems at the end of one of the LR sections, so it's highly possible I will be rewriting the d*mn*d thing.

In fact, I started over today with the LG's on PT's 1 and 2--and only got through 2.5 games each time.
1. LG are way different than the early PT's much harder before, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.
2. I wouldn't exactly call spending 8 minutes on an RC passage rushing, you're allowed 8:45 per passage to finish in 35 minutes.
3. 19/22, there were 23 questions by the way, but still not bad.

I doubt I will be re-writing, but if I do I'll be starting Nov 1st and not a day before.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:03 pm

3. 19/22, there were 23 questions by the way, but still not bad.
Not on my test. :wink:

moxiepostulate

Bronze

Post by moxiepostulate » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Time (aka 2wks or so) will tell how much it helped, but for me the difference of re-training PTs under 30 minute conditions really helped with the stress level on test day.

I had always finished in about 33 minutes, but for the June test I wound up guessing on several sections, and having not been used to rushing it threw off my mojo bigtime. This october, I killed the first LR and that set the tone for the rest of the test. Every section had a tiny cushion which was really nice. I didn't ever find the few questions I know I got wrong, but reviewing a few questions I knew I had gotten right kept the confidence level high- Why not?

I'd agree that accuracy has to come first, but once you've got your untimed 180 under your belt and you're scoring in the 170 range timed, it's probably a good idea to get rid of the extraneous hemming and hawing as others posters have pointed out. Additionally, I think there's some value to giving yourself a few minutes of checking questions and re-group time on test day. I felt like I could restart each new section with a clean slate (and or pee if I absolutely needed to) because I'd had time to look over my work and bring it back down a notch.

It's the one big thing I did differently between June and October, and it's the reason why I am happily not canceling my score this time around. No matter what I get, I think it's a wise way to prep yourself. Probably the best thing I've taken away from these boards so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”