The STUPIDEST thing I did with this LSAT was...

JJDancer

Re: The STUPIDEST thing I did with this LSAT was...

Postby JJDancer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Wrote down rules properly. Didn't remember it after the first question - GENIUS.

aquasalad

Postby aquasalad » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:50 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:For that rule, I just wrote down "at least" in front of it, with a double underline... Its not so much that I needed to see it as it is that writing it down helps you internalize it.

I'm pretty sure I wrote that but not sure I actually used it or remembered it in the questions though. Didn't get to the last 3 so hopefully it was not needed for the others

This post has been removed at the request of a third party alleging copyright infringement.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:55 pm

ocplaytime wrote:To be honest I'm a little more concerned about the driver/car game. The last two rules could have been easily mistaken into something else.

I hate you lol.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:56 pm

The last rule with the runners sorta stumped me. I hope I didn't mess it up. It was just weird, I felt. Oh well.

ocplaytime

Postby ocplaytime » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:00 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
ocplaytime wrote:To be honest I'm a little more concerned about the driver/car game. The last two rules could have been easily mistaken into something else.

I hate you lol.

sorry man I wish I was fucking with you guys. I'm sweating too this sucks ass. my highest pt was 172 and I got a 170 the daybefore on one of the later PTs but I'm feeling less comfortable each day. already signed up for dec....

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:08 pm

ocplaytime wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

I hate you lol.

sorry man I wish I was fucking with you guys. I'm sweating too this sucks ass. my highest pt was 172 and I got a 170 the daybefore on one of the later PTs but I'm feeling less comfortable each day. already signed up for dec....

I think I'm going to wait until Feb or June if I have to retake just because I don't have enough energy to study as hard as I did for the Oct test again right now. Plus that way I could save up some money for a class or tutor or something (had to keep like 2 grand for apps and seat deposit). What really gets me is that I had just started doing really well on games too.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:29 pm

If I'm going to write a third and final time, I would definately be writing in December, wouldn't want the stress to continue any longer than necessary.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:35 pm

kkklick wrote:If I'm going to write a third and final time, I would definately be writing in December, wouldn't want the stress to continue any longer than necessary.

You don't worry about the December administration being during the exam period?

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
I think I'm going to wait until Feb or June if I have to retake just because I don't have enough energy to study as hard as I did for the Oct test again right now. Plus that way I could save up some money for a class or tutor or something (had to keep like 2 grand for apps and seat deposit). What really gets me is that I had just started doing really well on games too.

I wouldn't suggest it. You just don't need to study as much. I took the Feb. test and then only studied for four weeks before the Oct. test. I am hopeful for a very high score.

Deep Trench

Postby Deep Trench » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:18 pm

The reason I misread this rule at first was because the game resembled another game from PT59. After repeating various LG sections so many times during practice, I developed a bad habit of not reading the rules carefully when the game feels similar to something I have done before. I spent the next few minutes identifying all possible hypotheticals (the same strategy that I used for the game from PT59) based on the misread rule, but none of the answer choices on the first question matched my hypotheticals, and I realized my mistake at that point. I murmured the f-word, but the proctors do not seem to have heard it. Luckily, the hypotheticals that I drew were still helpful for solving the game when you treat them as special cases of a more general rule, and I was able to finish the game with maybe a minute and half to spare. Even though I won't know how I did on this section until I get my test back, I cringe when I look back on my near-miss.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:25 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:
kkklick wrote:If I'm going to write a third and final time, I would definately be writing in December, wouldn't want the stress to continue any longer than necessary.

You don't worry about the December administration being during the exam period?

Already graduated Uni, taking a year off, although studying again for the LSAT would definately put a wrench in my plans to sit on my couch wit hpotato chips and hibernate until August 2011.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:43 pm

JJDancer wrote:Wrote down rules properly. Didn't remember it after the first question - GENIUS.

Called 5 min at the beginning of the game. Still not worried I usually go -3 to -4 on the rest of the test. Plus

58932ugahoige

Postby 58932ugahoige » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:47 pm

I don't know how I got a POE wrong either, my god. sorry for all the posting, i'm just in absolute shock and disappointment right now.

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:17 pm

3|ink wrote:
incompetentia wrote:
Sorry, I think you want the jungle for that.

Where do we go now?

I just wanted to post and let you know that someone Got your RefereNce, incomp!

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:25 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:
3|ink wrote:
incompetentia wrote:
Sorry, I think you want the jungle for that.

Where do we go now?

I just wanted to post and let you know that someone Got your RefereNce, incomp!

We all got it. That band isn't that old.

58932ugahoige

Postby 58932ugahoige » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:50 pm

With the nursing game if a person thought the rules said "There are EXACTLY 2 spaces between X and Y it was impossible to get the first--process of elimination question? Did I hear that right?

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Shmuckluk wrote:With the nursing game if a person thought the rules said "There are EXACTLY 2 spaces between X and Y it was impossible to get the first--process of elimination question? Did I hear that right?

This would most likely be true of any game where there was an "at least" rule.

58932ugahoige

Postby 58932ugahoige » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:59 pm

90% of my fear comes from not remembering this one at all, and I feel like I should. But I know I got the Process of Elimination question--unless they had a trap question for people who read "exactly" instead of "at least."

Deep Trench

Postby Deep Trench » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Shmuckluk wrote:90% of my fear comes from not remembering this one at all, and I feel like I should. But I know I got the Process of Elimination question--unless they had a trap question for people who read "exactly" instead of "at least."

I can't tell for sure because my memory is blurry at this point. Is it possible that you eliminated the correct answer by using the "exactly" rule, eliminated three other wrong answers using various other rules, and assumed that the remaining answer choice was correct by process of elimination without trying to eliminate that answer choice as well?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:02 am

Deep Trench wrote:
Shmuckluk wrote:90% of my fear comes from not remembering this one at all, and I feel like I should. But I know I got the Process of Elimination question--unless they had a trap question for people who read "exactly" instead of "at least."

I can't tell for sure because my memory is blurry at this point. Is it possible that you eliminated the correct answer by using the "exactly" rule, eliminated three other wrong answers using various other rules, and assumed that the remaining answer choice was correct by process of elimination without trying to eliminate that answer choice as well?

Shit. Caca.

I might have done this, giving me -5 on just LG. Ohh emm gee.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:07 am

On the upside, if enough of you guys did this, it might trigger the entire game being removed from scoring...

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:08 am

incompetentia wrote:On the upside, if enough of you guys did this, it might trigger the entire game being removed from scoring...

haha.
now that would be a "test change signal" :)

58932ugahoige

Postby 58932ugahoige » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:11 am

I may well have done that, but a few people said that without the "at least" rule the POE question failed. How did you not get the POE using the "exactly" scenario?

Deep Trench

Postby Deep Trench » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:27 am

Shmuckluk wrote:I may well have done that, but a few people said that without the "at least" rule the POE question failed. How did you not get the POE using the "exactly" scenario?

Yes, I am aware that there are people who said that the first question can be solved even when you have misread the rule. That's why I am also doubting myself whether I got that question right.

Right or wrong, the following is why I had to abandon the "exactly" rule to get to my answer choice: When I used the "exactly" rule at first, I determined that there are only very few possibilities that can satisfy all of the rules. I wrote down all the possibilities before attacking any question. However, I noticed that none of the answer choices in the first question matched my pre-diagrammed possibilities. At that point, I re-read the rule and found out my mistake, which allowed me to find the answer that I ended up selecting. However, it is plausible that I did not cover all possible outcomes that satisfy the "exactly" rule when I was drawing the diagrams.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:42 am

Deep Trench wrote:
Shmuckluk wrote:I may well have done that, but a few people said that without the "at least" rule the POE question failed. How did you not get the POE using the "exactly" scenario?

Yes, I am aware that there are people who said that the first question can be solved even when you have misread the rule. That's why I am also doubting myself whether I got that question right.

Right or wrong, the following is why I had to abandon the "exactly" rule to get to my answer choice: When I used the "exactly" rule at first, I determined that there are only very few possibilities that can satisfy all of the rules. I wrote down all the possibilities before attacking any question. However, I noticed that none of the answer choices in the first question matched my pre-diagrammed possibilities. At that point, I re-read the rule and found out my mistake, which allowed me to find the answer that I ended up selecting. However, it is plausible that I did not cover all possible outcomes that satisfy the "exactly" rule when I was drawing the diagrams.

I seem to remember that if you didn't get the at least rule, you got the first question wrong. There were a bunch of other rules so maybe they overlooked another but I remember clearly that the two letters were more than two spaces apart.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”