Cancel or not?

BigCat89

Cancel or not?

Postby BigCat89 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

I'm new here, and I can already see that there are way too many of these threads already. But I figured I'd give it a shot anyway.

Took the LSAT on Sat.. On the Reading Comp. I'm going through it, doing pretty well, and all of a sudden the proctor announces that there were three minutes remaining in the section while I'm on the third section. I had thought the proctor was supposed to announce when there was five minutes remaining.

Anyway to make a long story short, I ended up rushing and panicking and had to fill in the bubbles on the last five questions, as well as not read through the previous few, or even the passage itself like I normally do. I absolutely had no idea that I was even approaching five minutes remaining in the section, let alone three minutes!

I understand that those five questions can be very costly to my score, and I've generally been scoring in the mid-150s-early 160s on my practice exams, so bombing the last part of the section could really hurt my chances at the schools I was looking at. What makes it worse is that Reading Comp. was supposed to be my bread and butter that day. Should I cancel and re-take in December (which I was leaning towards anyway) or am I just overreacting? Any input would be really appreciated.

CanadianWolf

Re: Cancel or not?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:15 am

Don't cancel. What if you become sick in December or whenever you schedule your next exam ?

lennonist

Postby lennonist » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:39 am

cancel.

geminivegitarian

Postby geminivegitarian » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:31 am

It kinda sounds like you should really consider it, especially if the proctor threw you off. I never heard of announcing 3 mins! You could probably make a complaint but as far as canceling and retaking, I think it should be a pretty clear cut decision. It was for me at least, I bombed a section completely so I knew a retake was in my near future.

If you think you'll regret it, then don't cancel. Who knows? You may have done well on the other sections! And don't worry, it's not the end of the world. Most law schools take your highest score anyway.

BigCat89

Postby BigCat89 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:22 pm

geminivegitarian wrote:It kinda sounds like you should really consider it, especially if the proctor threw you off. I never heard of announcing 3 mins! You could probably make a complaint but as far as canceling and retaking, I think it should be a pretty clear cut decision. It was for me at least, I bombed a section completely so I knew a retake was in my near future.

If you think you'll regret it, then don't cancel. Who knows? You may have done well on the other sections! And don't worry, it's not the end of the world. Most law schools take your highest score anyway.

How would a complaint be handled? What would be potential remedies for the mistake?

Most Law schools take the higher score? That's a relief. I always thought it was the other way around.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Most law schools take your highest. But just a question, if RC was your best section, then how were you only halfway done passage 3 with 3 minutes remaining? Or were you on the African historiography passage on the last 5 questions, that would make more sense.

I dont know, the LG and LR were easier than usual, on the LSAT things have a funny way of turning out to your average score. A section you normally perform poorly in you ace on the test and a section you usually bomb you do half decent. I'd say ride it out. October 28th will be like christmas eve.

BigCat89

Postby BigCat89 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:00 pm

kkklick wrote:Most law schools take your highest. But just a question, if RC was your best section, then how were you only halfway done passage 3 with 3 minutes remaining? Or were you on the African historiography passage on the last 5 questions, that would make more sense.

Yeah I hear what you're saying. I don't know it was test-day nervousness or what, but I was on the final questions on the third passage when he said three minutes. At that point when he said it, I had thought I had about ten minutes left. I felt that I was doing as well as I could and that certainly caught me off guard. At the same time, in past preparations, I have gotten to a passage with five minutes remaining, and done quite well on that passage depending on the subject matter.

I dont know, the LG and LR were easier than usual, on the LSAT things have a funny way of turning out to your average score. A section you normally perform poorly in you ace on the test and a section you usually bomb you do half decent. I'd say ride it out. October 28th will be like christmas eve.

I certainly did think the LR was easier than usual, and the LG were certainly easier. Idk, I feel 50/50 at this point. I know that I have the feeling of impending doom that I see others here have experienced, but I also know that bad feeling is well-founded.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”