Unoffical Central Repository: Test Center Reviews

ArchRoark

Unoffical Central Repository: Test Center Reviews

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:59 am

Hopefully this thread will serve as a central location to aide future TLSers in deciding where to register for their respective LSAT. After browsing the Oct. LSAT threads I noticed the experiences users had spanned the entire gamut from no complaints to absolute horror stories. I am open to suggestions on how to best go about organizing this information.

I am aware that Kaplan offers a similar website (--LinkRemoved--) with test center reviews. That said, I think TLS as a userbase can do better.

The format is simple:

City/Location:
Test Center: (If it your test center has an acronym, please spell it out and then provide the acronym in parenthesis)
Test Date:
Parking:
Approximate # of Students in Room:
Quiet/Comfort:
Temperature:
Proctors:
Desk space:
Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments:

I will start it off.
City/Location: Austin, TX

Test Center: Austin Community College, Highland Business Center (ACC, HBC)

Test Date: June 10'

Parking: Plenty of parking. However, since I work at the building I know that they are now enforcing a student parking permit requirement. That said, I am not sure if they would ticket cars on LSAT administration days. The "visitor" parking section is rather limited. I have parked across the street at the hotel, the adjacent mall, and the adjacent Specs strip center before and have not been towed.

Approximate # of Students in Room: I signed in at the ground floor and they gave me a room number that I would be taking the test in. There was not very many students in my room. Probably around 15-20.

Quiet/Comfort: The room was adjacent to a staff/student lounge that had a TV on. I could barely hear it through the wall. I thought it was going to bother me, but by the time the proctors started reading the instructions I was able to phase it out (or someone turned it off). It didn't end up affecting my performance and I didn't think about it again till after I finished the entire test. Other then that the room was very quiet. No sniffling students or cellphones going off. HBC is more of an "office" building then an actual campus. I have had many staff meetings in the room and so was very familiar/comfortable with my surroundings. Nice bright red clock on the wall to read the time.

Temperature: Not too hot or too cold. If anything on the cooler side of things. If you are usually cold it might be smart to take a sweater/additional layer.

Proctors: I believe there was two proctors, maybe three. They were incredibly professional. My bottled water didn't fit in my ziplock bag and they didn't seem to care. They just sat at the front of the room, called the 5min warning and the end of section "pencils down" on time. No hovering over peoples backs or walking amongst everyone. I did see one student have a hoody. It was not "over" his head, but the proctors did not seem to mind. I also saw a student who did not have a zip lock bag and I don't remember the proctors caring. They did ask if we had any cellphones and that we would be dismissed if we kept them in the test room. They also, in accordance with LSAT rules, did not let us use the bathroom till the beginning of the first section. They followed the directions, but were not overly dogmatic. All in all, I believe they did a great job.

Desk space: This is where this testing center shines. LARGE tables to work on with 6ft+ between students. The people who were assigned to sit by me were absent so I pretty much had an entire 20ft table to myself. They also let a student move to an absent student's seat so he could get additional room. I guess 6ft on either side was not enough for him. It was not stadium seating. It was a medium sized room with a chalk board at the front. Comfortable chairs that were not attached in anyway to the table/desk.

Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments: When I was researching test centers it was between this location and the University of Texas. At the time I did not know the ACC location would be held at HBC (where I work). I was afraid that UT would administer the test in a stadium seating lecture class room with those small flip out desks and uncomfortable wooden chairs. The only thing I would have done differently is ensure that the TV was turned off in the adjacent lounge. That said you are split up into many different rooms within the building and so other peoples' experiences with staff/room/temperature/noise could be different with respect to this test center.

bjc314

Re: Unoffical Central Repository: Test Center Reviews

Postby bjc314 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:38 am

City/Location: Washington University in St. Louis
Test Center: Siegle Hall
Test Date:10/9/10
Parking:Several garages
Approximate # of Students in Room:50
Quiet/Comfort: Overall pretty good.
Temperature:normal
Proctors: Two. Both seemed inexperienced. One had no clue whatsoever what the hell was going on.
Desk space: 8 by 10--dismal.

The testing location was moved due to a concert and event. One proctor had obviously never administered a test before and was unable to answer most questions. She also almost didn't let me in because she said my ID looked like my dad (it doesn't).Only after I presented her with several other forms of id and explained that it would be impossible for my father to have been born in 1985 did she reluctantly let me in. She also hovered over students for several minutes at a time which I found to be incredibly annoying. The desk space was smaller than the test booklet itself which probably added some time, as I had to alternate between the answer form and the booklet.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:42 am

City/Location: Niagara College Welland Ontario Canada
Test Center: Simcoe Building
Parking:Very open
Approximate # of Students in Room:20
Quiet/Comfort: Amazingly quiet, test takers were very respectful. Except this one invigilator, this whore decided to wear 5 inch heels and walk at a molasses pace clicking her feet walking around the room. I wanted to tie her up in a corner and tell her to stfu. Messed me up on RC a little.
Proctors: Two. Mentioned above. There were 2, one was just a heartless bitch.
Desk space: Amazing room. Very comfortable so much space. Last june at medaille college in buffalo, the scantron was too big to fit on the desk we got. I had never been SO uncomfortable writing a test. I would have rather wrote it on the floor.
Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments: Overall good, didn't get distracted except from the tapping of the heels. If I ever write again, I'll make sure they take off their shoes.

terpie

Postby terpie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:48 am

City/Location: Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY
Test Center: Dyson Center
Test Date: 10/9/10
Parking: Plenty right in front of building. I got out of my car at 8:15ish and walked about 50 yards.
Approximate # of Students in Room: 20
Quiet/Comfort: Very quiet. Only thing that was of minimal distraction was the HVAC coming on or turning off about once per section.
Temperature: On the colder side, but not enough to be of any consequence. I wore sweatpants and long sleeve shirt.
Proctors: Awesome. Didn't walk around once, clear at communicating, no timing issues, no complaints whatsoever.
Desk space: Awesome. Every person had about a 2'x4' desk entirely to themselves. There were 2 seats to a desk, but I guess they had enough room in the other rooms.

123kl

Postby 123kl » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:27 pm

City/Location: Philadephia, PA
Test Center: Penn Law School
Parking: Didn't bring a car, but there are several parking garages a walkable distance away, in addition to street parking on Walnut Street. (Also easily accessible by the Blue Line subway)
Approximate # of Students in Room: 45
Temperature: Perfect.
Proctors: Pretty good. I even asked one proctor who was going to end up walking around the room to take the keys off of his belt before the test started, and he was totally understanding.
Desk space: Lecture hall with wooden tables arranged in a semicircle. Everyone sat one seat apart, so there was plenty of room. I had maybe 4-5 feet of desk to myself with a comfortable chair. There's some lighting inside, but you get great natural lighting from the large windows.
Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments: There is a clock on the side of the room closest to the door, but it is only visible from half of the seats (the part of the semicircle facing the door). Also, remember, you are in the middle of the city, so occasionally you could hear a horn honking or something, but it wasn't bad at all.

Overall, a very pleasant place to take the LSAT.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:32 pm

City: Evanston, IL
Test Center: Northwestern University
Parking: I knew a secret parking lot...but its relatively accessible by car and public transit
Approximate # of Students in Room: 20-25
Temperature: Perfect
Proctors: 2 of them. Very professional. Moved quickly. No complaints
Desk Space: Awesome. It was in the Kellogg Business School. Long tables with spaces between each tester. Had plentyyyy of room
Comments/Complaints: Nothin much here. Much better testing center than what I experienced at DePaul. Highly recommended.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:37 pm

City: Washington, DC
Test Center: GULC
Date: 10-9-10
Parking: Don't know... take metro
# in room: 40
Temperature: brisk- perfect for testing
Proctors: 4 in room moving around, but not distracting, very professional
Desk space: Long table with a seat on each side open- Great Chairs also
Comments: Fast- like supercheetah fast- Started the first section at 8:35, beautiful

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:38 pm

--LinkRemoved--

HTH.

achilles

Postby achilles » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:48 pm

City/Location: Houston, TX
Test Center: South Texas College of Law
Test Date:10/09/10
Parking: There are several garages nearby, ranging from $5-10 bucks. I was dropped off. I think street parking has a 2-hour limit
Approximate # of Students in Room: 75
Quiet/Comfort: Very quiet, chairs were extra comfy (and swivel!)
Temperature: Just how I like it: a little on the cold side
Proctors: 4 or 5. They enforced the important rules, but were lax about the stupid ones. They let people wear hoods and eat and drink in the test room during break. They didn't whisper or make any other noise during the exam. They did walk around, but made no noise. The guy picking up my test materials was very friendly and classy. None of them seemed to be on a power trip
Desk space: Perfect! It was a typical large law school classroom, rounded tables in stadium style, with an empty chair between two people. I had plenty of room to keep my extra pencils and ID out of the way (looked like this only bigger: --LinkRemoved--)
Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments: Didn't start the exam until after 9:30, but I guess that was to be expected with 75 people. There was one clock at the back of the room, but it was hard to read because of a glare. It was also a little too dark in the room, would have preferred the lights to be brighter. Overall great testing site.
I would rate it 10/10

two_wheels_good

Postby two_wheels_good » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:48 pm

City/Location: Richmond, VA
Test Center: University of Richmond- Business School
Test Date: Oct. 9, 2010
Parking: It was fine. I found a visitor lot that seemed small, but I got there early so I was able to find a space. There should be other lots nearby, so parking shouldn't be a problem.
Approximate # of Students in Room: 25-30
Quiet/Comfort: Perfectly quiet. Someone next to me kept coughing, but I was so engrossed in the task at hand I was able to tune it out.
Temperature: Comfortable. I had a t-shirt and a hoody. Pulled the sleeves up on the hoody and I had no complaints. I think any sweating was likely anxiety-induced
Proctors: They were fine. An older couple and a younger faculty member. They were not disruptive in anyway
Desk space: It was great. It was a raised lecture hall so we didn't have to sit in rickety classroom desks.
Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments: Overall, no complaints. The classrooms were in good shape, the proctors seemed to know what they were doing (and appreciated the gravity of the situation most test takers were in).

dcman06

Postby dcman06 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:54 pm

City/Location: Richmond, VA
Test Center: University of Richmond, test was at the E. Claiborne Robins School of Business
Test Date: 10/09/10
Parking: ample parking near the B school. The Business School is next to the Law School on the opposite side of the street and there was also ample parking. Given that there was no home football game Saturday (the Spiders played against the University of New Hampshire in Durham and lost two QB's that day, including the USC transfer). It was also fall break at U of R, so there was plenty of parking around one of the nation's most picturesque campuses.
Approximate # of Students in Room: 30-35 (about 200 at most took the test in 6-7 classrooms)
Quiet/Comfort: Quiet, minus a few of the "normal" sniffles and throat clearings. Seats were soft padded, so it was a comfortable location. Only bad part was that I was in the back of the room, and there wasn't as much lighting, but this wasn't to the point where I couldn't see my stuff.
Temperature: 70's, low 70's if I had to guess. It was comfortable.
Proctors: There were three proctors, one at the front of the room who was giving out time, another in the back, and the last was near the front door.
Desk space: Ample desk space. Took it in one of those stadium style lecture halls so this wasn't an issue at all. For those of you not familiar with the University of Richmond, it is a private liberal arts college of about 3,000 students or so, with some graduate programs mostly in law and business. No students at U of R are in classes larger than about 30-35 people barring something like a concert band class, so that explains why the lecture halls at the B school were about 30-35 people. There are a couple lecture halls here that could handle more students, but they didn't have large desks such as in nearby Jepson Hall. Thank god I wasn't put there.
Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments: We were originally supposed to take the test at the Law School but were moved to the Business school. That was a good move. The real reason why was because the 2L's were having a lawyering workshop during fall break and had to use the whole building. The Law school lecture halls weren't as comfy as the B school ones. The only other minor gripe I had was that there were no windows in my room, but maybe this was a good thing because people tend to look out of the windows when the clouds build up and let go, etc. I'm also glad that because there were few people in the room, we left the site 1:15 PM or so!

bosox

Postby bosox » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:04 pm

City/Location: Rutgers (New Brunswick)
Parking: Off-street parking and a parking deck.
Approximate # of Students in Room: 40-45
Quiet/Comfort: Tolerable. Usually there's construction or something going on around here, but luckily nothing of the sort.
Temperature: Fairly cold because of the heating was shut off and it was a rather chilly day.
Proctors: Only one, but she had experience with proctoring standardized tests (SATs) so she did her job very well.
Desk space: Small but tolerable.
Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments: If you don't go to this school or aren't very familiar with the area, I highly suggest you either make a trip in advance to know where you're going and familiarize yourself with the adjacent buildings/parking areas of the testing center (maps.rutgers.edu). The classroom assignments are on a piece of paper at the entrance of the building, and there are three different buildings that you could be assigned to.

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:04 pm

City/Location: Santa Clara University, CA
Test Center: Bannan Hall
Test Date: 10/09/2010
Parking: Free. Limited spaces available in the building parking lot, but if you drive a little further there's a huge lot.
Approximate # of Students in Room: 40-50. Some rooms were smaller.
Quiet/Comfort: Comfortable chairs. Relatively quiet, except for two rounds of car alarms droning on and on during section 5 :(
Temperature: Room temp..though it became slightly hotter at the end.
Proctors: Definitely students from the University. Friendly and helpful, moderately professional.
Desk space: More than enough. Long continuous desks in lecture-style hall.
Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments: Small bathrooms and long lines. Well, only for the girls. Also had to wait outside to check in, which we didn't have to do in February.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:14 pm

There's a wiki with a lot of this info:

--LinkRemoved--

I believe the wiki makes a better format for this sort of info.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:40 pm

City/Location: Warwick, RI
Test Center: CCRI Knight Campus
Test Date: 10/09/2010
Parking: Free. Big lot. Lots of room.
Approximate # of Students in Room: 60-70
Quiet/Comfort: Quiet room, no windows, no outside noise.
Temperature: Air conditioned.
Proctors: 5 obviously inexperienced females, approx age 19-21 is my guess.
Desk space: Comfortable swivel chairs at long bench sections. People were spaced every other chair.
Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments: No real issues. I'd take it there again in a heartbeat. (and may end up doing so :p)

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:43 pm

bjc314 wrote:City/Location: Washington University in St. Louis
Test Center: Siegle Hall
Parking:Several garages
Approximate # of Students in Room:50
Quiet/Comfort: Overall pretty good.
Proctors: Two. Both seemed inexperienced. One had no clue whatsoever what the hell was going on.
Desk space: 8 by 10--dismal.

The testing location was moved due to a concert and event. One proctor had obviously never administered a test before and was unable to answer most questions. She also almost didn't let me in because she said my ID looked like my dad (it doesn't).Only after I presented her with several other forms of id and explained that it would be impossible for my father to have been born in 1985 did she reluctantly let me in. She also hovered over students for several minutes at a time which I found to be incredibly annoying. The desk space was smaller than the test booklet itself which probably added some time, as I had to alternate between the answer form and the booklet.

Really? I had no problems. Proctors were nice enough, and besides the desks being small it was great. Were you in the room that let out earlier or later?

postn0bills

Postby postn0bills » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:35 pm

City/Location: Lincroft, New Jersey
Test Center: Brookdale Community College
Test Date: October 9, 2010
Parking: There is a parking lot within the area, but you have to allow for time to walk to the student center, where the LSAT was held.
Approximate # of Students in Room: 20-25 (there were three separate rooms of this size, divided up alphabetically by last name).. it was a good amount not to be distracted or feel overcrowded.
Quiet/Comfort: Very quiet, very comfortable. The rooms themselves were very large and could have easily comfortably fit 50-60 people.
Temperature: Perfect, although slightly on the warmer side (much preferred to cold, though!)
Proctors: Three. They were extremely strict and adhered to all LSAC rules and then some. Wouldn't even allow people to bring in sweatshirts without hoods.
Desk space: Plenty. It was perfect. Each test taker got his or her own table and comfortable chair. There was plenty of space to spread out test booklet, answer sheet, pencil sharpener, eighty pencils, etc.
Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments: The room got a little too warm at times, but that could have been due to nerves and it's way better to have sweaty hands than numb ones.

I would highly, highly recommend this testing center to anyone in the Jersey area.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:44 pm

City/Location: Hong Kong
Test Center: Hong Kong Exam Authority
Test Date: October 10, 2010
Parking: I didn't see any, but it's quite close to the Diamond Hill subway.
Approximate # of Students in Room: 150 or so (everyone at the center) The room was huge, though.
Temperature: Fine. I don't think they had any climate control going, but it was ok.
Proctors: Four. A little amateurish. They had trouble coordinating the passing out with the reading of directions. (Like, head proctor would tell us to bubble this or that before we got our answer sheets). Also, made a few mistakes that were corrected by test takers- like he said we couldn't have water during break but we access prohibited items during break.
Desk space: Adequate. Each person had a small desk and separate chair. Like American elementary schools.
Miscellaneous Complaints/Comments: The proctoring could have been better, but overall it was fine. I also disliked that the proctors spoke to some students in a language other than English.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”