Improving LR?

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Improving LR?

Postby Rawlberto » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:18 pm

Currently routinely getting -8 per section. I am just now starting to crack the LRB, but I seem to be a little all over the place in regards to what I get consistently wrong (Inference, Assumption, and Strengthen/Weaken). Is it common to struggle with the section, in the sense that it is possible for some to never really get good at it? I have been able to improv vastly in LGs by sticking to it, but I feel like this section of the test may be more daunting in regards to improving. Is this an incorrect assessment on my part?

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Improving LR?

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Rawlberto wrote:Currently routinely getting -8 per section. I am just now starting to crack the LRB, but I seem to be a little all over the place in regards to what I get consistently wrong (Inference, Assumption, and Strengthen/Weaken). Is it common to struggle with the section, in the sense that it is possible for some to never really get good at it? I have been able to improv vastly in LGs by sticking to it, but I feel like this section of the test may be more daunting in regards to improving. Is this an incorrect assessment on my part?


Most people will probably tell you that LR is somewhat learnable; less so than LG, but perhaps more than RC.

I don't really have any tips on improving at it. My logic classes in college really helped prepare me for analyzing arguments.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Improving LR?

Postby Ragged » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:29 pm

Go over every single question after you finish the section. And explain to yourself why the correct answer choice is in fact correct and why each incorrect choice is incorrect. That's the advice I got on here earlier and it really pushed me to the next level. It might seem boring, but it helps your brain learn and recognize patterns of the questions.

After you get better at it. Start doing 30-33 minute sections to work on pace.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Improving LR?

Postby typ3 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:32 pm

My suggestion once you master the basics from going to -4 to -1/0 is to work on looking for wrong answers rather than right ones.

Usually there are a few difficult questions in each section that have a trap answer that is what the logical prephase would be.

Identifying wrong answers lets you quickly disregard the traps and find the right answer- an answer that might seem unappealing at first.

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Improving LR?

Postby AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:32 pm

Rawlberto wrote:Currently routinely getting -8 per section. I am just now starting to crack the LRB, but I seem to be a little all over the place in regards to what I get consistently wrong (Inference, Assumption, and Strengthen/Weaken). Is it common to struggle with the section, in the sense that it is possible for some to never really get good at it? I have been able to improv vastly in LGs by sticking to it, but I feel like this section of the test may be more daunting in regards to improving. Is this an incorrect assessment on my part?


It's all about your ability to focus and comprehend the argument. I was practicing at -3 to -7 per section before Yoni, my LSAT instructor, showed me how to effectively diffuse the arguments. All it took was for him to suggest to me that I make a concentrated effort to understand the argument, to understand every line, premis and conclusion and understand how that plays into the argument as a whole. Dont just read for the sake of reading. Understand what the argument does and how its parts relate to one another. This clears everything up for you! At least it did for me. Now LR is my money in the bank.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Improving LR?

Postby northwood » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:33 pm

you can improve lr... Read the LRB and drill each question type. Make a chart and break down each part of the stimulus ( id premises, conclusion, subsidary conclusion, gaps) start to paraphrase what the right answer will need to do. Start working on untimed sections ( write down why you chose the answer, and why you crossed off the other answer choices) then work on timed sections. Be sure you can do 3 timed sections back to back to back ( you may get LR LR RC on game day) then work on full length prep tests.. Give yourself 33 -34 minutes max to help you learn how to work with pressure

will it take a lot of work and dedicaiton. yes... break down the book into smaller chunks, google spreadsheet for lr questions by type, and use those questions for drilling purposes, and keep your confidence up. Good luck!

JurisDoctorate
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:22 am

Re: Improving LR?

Postby JurisDoctorate » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:49 pm

Ragged wrote:Go over every single question after you finish the section. And explain to yourself why the correct answer choice is in fact correct and why each incorrect choice is incorrect. That's the advice I got on here earlier and it really pushed me to the next level. It might seem boring, but it helps your brain learn and recognize patterns of the questions.


This is fantastic advice. One time, I spent an hour explaining why my answer was right and why every other answer choice was wrong; I swear, after this short time, I started catching certain mistakes. When I took the LSAT on Saturday, I literally avoided answering 4 LR questions wrong; ones that I normally get wrong.

I didn't think about how useful it was until I read this comment; I really feel that process has made me see things I didn't see before. I don't know if I will have time to explain every answer, but I feel I should do this for the 10 somewhat challenging questions of each LR section. I'll bet that brings me from a consistent 44 to a 46-47; that and working through the Kaplan180 book ;)

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Improving LR?

Postby Rawlberto » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:00 am

Thanks northwood, your posts are always really helpful.

This is a general question to everyone. I am currently hitting around 157 on prep tests, and plan on taking the December test. Is a 165 a reasonable goal for a two month time frame, considering I have LG down pretty well (just making small errors that happen less and less frequently)? Obviously, such predictions can't be said with certainty, but I am currently studying 4 hours a day everyday, so just want to get a sense of should I aim for December or wait until February.

Also thanks to everyones continued help on this forum :)

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Improving LR?

Postby AverageTutoring » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:08 am

Rawlberto wrote:Thanks northwood, your posts are always really helpful.

This is a general question to everyone. I am currently hitting around 157 on prep tests, and plan on taking the December test. Is a 165 a reasonable goal for a two month time frame, considering I have LG down pretty well (just making small errors that happen less and less frequently)? Obviously, such predictions can't be said with certainty, but I am currently studying 4 hours a day everyday, so just want to get a sense of should I aim for December or wait until February.

Also thanks to everyones continued help on this forum :)


Yup. But if you break into the mid 160s you know the material, so there's nothing stoping you from hitting the 170 mark other then practice. I was at 154 when I started and it took me 2 months to get that to a 169, and another two months to consistently break the 170 mark. So a 157-->165 is no big deal. Get that shit done!

geminivegitarian
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Improving LR?

Postby geminivegitarian » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:08 am

Spend a couple days devoted to just doing 35 minute LR sections one after the other. Repetition really is key.
It's probably not a mindblowing suggestion, but it helped me.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Improving LR?

Postby Rawlberto » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:18 am

To above post,

When I do go back after a preptest I feel like the answers seem so obvious. Maybe a few times sections will help keep me focused, as when I am at a leisurely pace I am able to usually get the correct answer with ease.

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Improving LR?

Postby am060459 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:39 am

when doing LR questions dont look for the right answer. eliminate all the wrong answers. if you are stuck between two, then compare them word for word.

LogicGamez
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Improving LR?

Postby LogicGamez » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:42 am

Spend some time devoted to only the LR section. Do 1 section a day under ideal conditions and scrutinize the questions you got wrong until it makes perfect sense.

I did this and everything just started to click in like a week. I went from getting -2-6 without seeing much improvement to consistently -0.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, cherrygalore, Instrumental, NavyNuke and 7 guests