Tired reading of people wanting to cancel LSAT scores

solo

Tired reading of people wanting to cancel LSAT scores

Postby solo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:06 pm

I'm starting this thread because it is disgusting to read about so many 'woe is me' TLS users who are complaining about their LSAT performance. Get over yourselves and man up or woman up. I don't think I got a 180 but I'm just tired of hearing people complain about their performance. Be optimistic and trust in your studying. Everything will be alright. Who's with me? :D

LSAT Blog

Re: Tired reading of people wanting to cancel LSAT scores

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Are they complaining, or are they looking for advice on what to do?

What sort of posts were you expecting to read in the aftermath of an LSAT administration? :D

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Is it ok to say /self in this forum?

But um, this is probably the only place where people can find like minded folks to discuss their fears with. As much as you may hate reading their posts, I think it's good that they have an outlet. To supress that would be kinda shitty IMO.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:15 pm

I say let people worry and vent. Although, I have found it rather annoying for this particular administration - meaning: wayy more complaining than I have seen for other tests

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:16 pm

--ImageRemoved--

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:18 pm

Umm, I'm not with you.

The question whether or not to cancel is a valid question, and TLS is a great way to get advice from people who might have similar goals as you and who might have been in your position before. The advice I've gotten from people has really helped my decision. It's not complaining. When I ask, it's because in all honesty I need advice, and TLS people are the only people that can really understand my situation (well most anyways.....those who don't say'- "just have confidence").

There's much more annoying things that people could post on TLS. See this thread for example.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Nah I agree with the op. Fuck em. Something like cancelling your lsat score should be determined in the real world.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:22 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Nah I agree with the op. Fuck em. Something like cancelling your lsat score should be determined in the real world.

lol I love this.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 pm

What decisions then shouldn't "be made in the real world"? Maybe we should just shut down TLS. Fuck advice. Who needs that? All decisions should be made in the real world.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:27 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:What decisions then shouldn't "be made in the real world"? Maybe we should just shut down TLS. Fuck advice. Who needs that? All decisions should be made in the real world.

Whoa this is dumb. Where should I apply =/= should I retake this very important test bases on this anecdote of info.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:32 pm

Little iffy NR?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:33 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:[image]

Man, what did I JUST say about being a dick. See you in a week.

Wait: so, no one is allowed to "be a dick" at all anymore in the on-topic forums? I feel you guys are going to have a lot of banning to do..
Last edited by thecilent on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:33 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:
cinefile 17 wrote:What decisions then shouldn't "be made in the real world"? Maybe we should just shut down TLS. Fuck advice. Who needs that? All decisions should be made in the real world.

Whoa this is dumb. Where should I apply =/= should I retake this very important test bases on this anecdote of info.

Not really, I think they're very similar.

Actually "Where should I apply" is worst b.c. that information can be found elsewhere (LSN, LSP, ect.) and any advice given on that is just regurgitation from those sites. On the other hand, I can't find anyone else who has had a high score, taken the LSAT again, and had to decide whether a possible screw up on LSAT day warrants a cancellation anywhere except TLS.

Wasn't TLS created to be able to ask advice from people who have been in your position before and know from experience (especially when you can't find these people elsewhere).

This site is used for so much useless crap. It's stupid that when someone actually uses it for what it was intended for, people complain. If you don't want to offer people cancellation information, simply don't click on the thread.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:40 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:
OrdinarilySkilled wrote:

Not really, I think they're very similar.

Actually "Where should I apply" is worst b.c. that information can be found elsewhere (LSN, LSP, ect.) and any advice given on that is just regurgitation from those sites. On the other hand, I can't find anyone else who has had a high score, taken the LSAT again, and had to decide whether a possible screw up on LSAT day warrants a cancellation anywhere except TLS.

Wasn't TLS created to be able to ask advice from people who have been in your position before and know from experience (especially when you can't find these people elsewhere).

This site is used for so much useless crap. It's stupid that when someone actually uses it for what it was intended for, people complain. If you don't want to offer people cancellation information, simply don't click on the thread.

So i guess we agree. Encouraging people to get advice from unqualified strangers on the internet is the same as fuck em.

solo

Postby solo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:43 pm

This site is great for advice but just look on the first three pages in this forum and count all the 'should I cancel' threads. I think this is a general lack of confidence of those posters. I've seen this type of person before. They aren't really going to cancel, instead they just want somebody to go out of their way and reassure them because they have no confidence. The equation is simple, study hard, believe in yourself, and usually things end up just fine IMO.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:47 pm

You're generalizing. This wasn't the case with me.

Also, so what? What else is there to discuss? Look at the rest of the threads. Why not complain about the "law school is a mistake" threads, the "what are my chances with my fake LSAT score", or the "haha Cooley grads suck" threads. I know it annoying, but TLS was made for advice? Some people need legit advice and will be helped by it. Even if they just want a boost of confidence, what's wrong with that?

LogicGamez

Postby LogicGamez » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:34 am

solo wrote:I'm starting this thread because it is disgusting to read about so many 'woe is me' TLS users who are complaining about their LSAT performance. Get over yourselves and man up or woman up. I don't think I got a 180 but I'm just tired of hearing people complain about their performance. Be optimistic and trust in your studying. Everything will be alright. Who's with me? :D

Nobody's forcing you to read those posts. If they want to be pessimistic who gives a shit?

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:43 am

I don't care if people whine about cancelling, I just think that unless its under extreme circumstances (like illness DURING the test) would be the only grounds for cancellation. I think its unfair that people who prepared just as much as we did and were just as ready because they perhaps bomb a section their usually good at they cancel waiting for next time. That messes up the curve because only people who know/think they did really well keep their scores which is an unrepresentative population of test-takers. Now if LSAC calculates the curve with those scores included (which I doubt they would do) that would be more than fair. But alas, this is not the case, I still think law schools should view a cancellation somewhat negatively. I mean if someone cancels and then gets a 170, yea sure thats a good score but it shows how they perform under pressure.

Before I get ripped for my post. Im not talking about ALL people who cancel. I bombed RC on June (found out it was fake), if it was real I definately would have cancelled. So yes maybe a little hypocritical but I would only do so because the repurcussions are almost non-existent and its much easier than having a 152 on record for 5 years. So take from my post what you will

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:52 am

What he said below.
Last edited by incompetentia on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:53 am

kkklick wrote:I don't care if people whine about cancelling, I just think that unless its under extreme circumstances (like illness DURING the test) would be the only grounds for cancellation. I think its unfair that people who prepared just as much as we did and were just as ready because they perhaps bomb a section their usually good at they cancel waiting for next time. That messes up the curve because only people who know/think they did really well keep their scores which is an unrepresentative population of test-takers. Now if LSAC calculates the curve with those scores included (which I doubt they would do) that would be more than fair. But alas, this is not the case, I still think law schools should view a cancellation somewhat negatively. I mean if someone cancels and then gets a 170, yea sure thats a good score but it shows how they perform under pressure.

Before I get ripped for my post. Im not talking about ALL people who cancel. I bombed RC on June (found out it was fake), if it was real I definately would have cancelled. So yes maybe a little hypocritical but I would only do so because the repurcussions are almost non-existent and its much easier than having a 152 on record for 5 years. So take from my post what you will

Actually, LSAC does factor those scores into their calculations.

LSAC said (in an email):

LSAC policy allows test takers to cancel their scores up to six calendar days after the test. Since we begin carrying out analyses within a couple of days of the test, we are not able to excluded canceled scores from the data.

rahimali

Postby rahimali » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:01 am

I agree totally! But you have to realize that most of the people here are the type of people that if you ever met in real life, you'd probably punch in the face after 30 seconds of talking to them. Basically, dorks that could f**k up a wet dream by thinking too damn much.
Last edited by rahimali on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

rahimali

Postby rahimali » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:02 am

:lol:
Last edited by rahimali on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:06 am

rahimali wrote:I agree totally! But you have to realize that most of the people here are the type of people that if you ever met in real life, you'd probably punch in the face after 30 seconds of talking to them. Basically, dorks that could mess up a wet dream by thinking too much.

QF virgin

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:07 am

Nightrunner wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:

Man, what did I JUST say about being a dick. See you in a week.

So what, no one is allowed to be a dick besides the OP? Nice policy. It's hard not to be a dick when the OP clearly is.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:10 am

LSAT Blog wrote:
kkklick wrote:I don't care if people whine about cancelling, I just think that unless its under extreme circumstances (like illness DURING the test) would be the only grounds for cancellation. I think its unfair that people who prepared just as much as we did and were just as ready because they perhaps bomb a section their usually good at they cancel waiting for next time. That messes up the curve because only people who know/think they did really well keep their scores which is an unrepresentative population of test-takers. Now if LSAC calculates the curve with those scores included (which I doubt they would do) that would be more than fair. But alas, this is not the case, I still think law schools should view a cancellation somewhat negatively. I mean if someone cancels and then gets a 170, yea sure thats a good score but it shows how they perform under pressure.

Actually, LSAC does factor those scores into their calculations.

LSAC said (in an email):

LSAC policy allows test takers to cancel their scores up to six calendar days after the test. Since we begin carrying out analyses within a couple of days of the test, we are not able to excluded canceled scores from the data.

That's still better I guess, the people who cancel ASAP they have no way of calculating scores. Thanks for the clear up LSAT blog

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”