Atlas vs PS Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
typ3

Silver

Re: Atlas vs PS

Post by typ3 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:15 am

This was sort of a bump from the depths of yesterweeks...

I am not finished with all the material but I'll review some for people who are on the line.
The LR Book -
some parts of it are superior to Power Score, others are not. It's definitely not geared towards the beginner, it's more geared to those who are 160+ however, if you have the classes too, then you don't need the introduction fluff.. You get plenty of this in the classes. Powerscore is superior in its explanation of basic argument structure etc (things that are lacking in Atlas) However, Atlas does a better job of leading you into and explaining assumption, flaw, str / weaken family of questions(the 50% group as I call it.)

The LG Book -

While slightly shorter than the LGB, I will say that Atlas is superior to the LGB for games. The tree diagram method, see steve schwartz's blog for an example is far superior to the number line for relative ordering games. Both companies use the same method for dual attribute linear games and simple sequencing linear games.

The second improvement Atlas makes to the LGB is in the binary (in-out) grouping games. Atlas's method makes a lot more sense than drawing out the rules in a big vertical line and then drawing inferences. The method in their book and classes gives you a new way to diagram conditionals that allows you to instantly see the inferences and go through the questions quickly. Overall the diagram takes about the same amount of time as writing out every conditional, but reading it is a ton easier. This did take me a few days of practice to get it down pat and it was a little hard to pick up on. Hopefully they improve the book explanation of it, but the class explanation answered all my questions (wish I would have done the class before the book on this).

RC --
It's not exactly ground breaking. I thought it was easier to get through than the RCB (most of which I think is a waste of prep time). One plus on the RCB is that the Atlas RC gives you a variety of typical passage structures. They explain how the lsat will test the passage shifts and structures. PS RCB simply gives you a list of transition and counter argument words and tells you to memorize them because they signify change. PS doesn't go to the logical end by telling you why you need to notice that change. Ultimately, you need to notice the change because LSAT RC passages conform to certain structure patterns which allows you to fly through the passage quickly once you pick it up. Atlas says what the RCB says + more in about 2/3 the pages.

One draw back to all three books is you get fewer example problems than the bibles.

However, one way you could prep for the LSAT for cheap would be to buy 1-20 grouping books and use these in addition to the Atlas practice book.

You could divide up your prep as follows if doing the pithy pike method:

Practice by Type: 1-20 + 40-44 (24)

Timed Sections (10 PT's)
PTs 21-28, 39

Full PT's (29-38, 45-60) (26 PT's)

Obviously you get a fewer timed sections, but 10 is more than enough to develop pacing.

For $625 + Grouping games (around $70 total, + PT's 39 & 21-28) You could round out your LSAT PREP for about $750 and have all the questions + 2 hours of tutoring and a full online course. That's not too bad. However, if you're not a higher scorer, I wouldn't spend your money on just the books, you'll likely need the classes too.

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:17 am

Does anyone know whether or not you have access to the free hour-long private tutoring sessions if you buy the books on Amazon instead of through the Manhattan LSAT website itself? The books are a couple bucks cheaper on Amazon, plus I have prime shipping, so I can get them with 2-day free shipping.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:31 pm

No you don't get them from just purchasing the books, you must purchase the self study packages to get the free tutoring.

You get the free tutoring 1 session for the complete self study and 4 for the premium.

The price difference is $425 complete and $650 premium.

[*]With both packages you get all 3 strategy guides (similar to the PS bibles)
[*]10 Next LSAT's, PT's 50-60,
[*]and a practice book that has problems grouped by type, single practice sections and 5 full lsats PTs 40-50
[*] 12 Classes pre-recorded that cover the general curriculum, LR/RC/LG
[*] 6 additional classes that cover advanced LG concepts exclusively.

The only noticeable difference in packages is with the number of tutoring. However, because you're getting the extra hours at a discounted rate of $150 per hour what might be a better deal is to purchase the regular self study at $425 then tag on more hours of tutoring as needed at $145. Kaplan runs $155 in my area for tutoring so it's still cheaper and the instructors seem better.

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:30 pm

typ3 wrote:No you don't get them from just purchasing the books, you must purchase the self study packages to get the free tutoring.

You get the free tutoring 1 session for the complete self study and 4 for the premium.

The price difference is $425 complete and $650 premium.

[*]With both packages you get all 3 strategy guides (similar to the PS bibles)
[*]10 Next LSAT's, PT's 50-60,
[*]and a practice book that has problems grouped by type, single practice sections and 5 full lsats PTs 40-50
[*] 12 Classes pre-recorded that cover the general curriculum, LR/RC/LG
[*] 6 additional classes that cover advanced LG concepts exclusively.

The only noticeable difference in packages is with the number of tutoring. However, because you're getting the extra hours at a discounted rate of $150 per hour what might be a better deal is to purchase the regular self study at $425 then tag on more hours of tutoring as needed at $145. Kaplan runs $155 in my area for tutoring so it's still cheaper and the instructors seem better.
Are you positive? In the listing on their website for the strategy guides it says the following:
Oriented towards the latest trends in LSAT logic games, this strategy guide is truly cutting-edge.

Includes:

* One Hour Free Tutoring - Arrange a free tutoring session with an Manhattan LSAT Instructor in-person or online.
* Class Recording - Watch the first session of an Manhattan LSAT 12-Session course
* Practice LSAT Prep Test - Take a diagnostic test and see how you'll stack up on the real test!
* Logic Games Challenges - Monthly challenges for prizes.
If that doesn't mean the strategy guide comes with those things, they should probably clarify that on the website because it's a little misleading!

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Sorry for any confusion. This is related to the name change. If people buy the Atlas book and are a new student (i.e. haven't worked with us before), they are eligible for a free hour of tutoring (and we'll continue to offer that until our distributor stops putting Atlas books up on Amazon). We're removing that offer with the Manhattan LSAT books...It's getting pricey for us to continue! However, there are still plenty of public events - Monday's with Brian are free 2-hour class that people can attend, and we're hosting a free live online workshop on 11/14 to review the October LSAT (http://www.manhattanlsat.com/EventShow. ... ventID=398)

If people have questions about their books or program, feel free to pm me or e-mail info@manhattanlsat.com

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Sorry for any confusion. This is related to the name change. If people buy the Atlas book and are a new student (i.e. haven't worked with us before), they are eligible for a free hour of tutoring (and we'll continue to offer that until our distributor stops putting Atlas books up on Amazon). We're removing that offer with the Manhattan LSAT books...It's getting pricey for us to continue! However, there are still plenty of public events - Monday's with Brian are free 2-hour class that people can attend, and we're hosting a free live online workshop on 11/14 to review the October LSAT (http://www.manhattanlsat.com/EventShow. ... ventID=398)

If people have questions about their books or program, feel free to pm me or e-mail info@manhattanlsat.com
Ahhh, thank you so much for clarifying! And I'm sure you'll be glad to know there are only 5 copies of the ATLAS logic games book on Amazon. Well, 4 after I snag one. :wink:

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Just buy the PowerScore Bibles & a dozen practice tests and study hard for three to four months.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”