misconduct for no ziplock bag

thirdlibra

misconduct for no ziplock bag

Postby thirdlibra » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Took the LSAT for the first time this weekend and was told I got a misconduct because I didnt have a bag. I only had my wallet and keys. They let me take the test still, I just had to leave them at the front of the room while I took it. Granted, it was my fault, but Ive had a bad taste in my mouth since :( oh well..........on to the December test.

KevinP

Re: misconduct for no ziplock bag

Postby KevinP » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:02 pm

That's bullshit. It's like proctors are becoming trigger happy about giving out misconducts. Definitely try to appeal it.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:03 pm

KevinP wrote:That's bullshit. It's like proctors are becoming trigger happy about giving out misconducts. Definitely try to appeal it.

How do you appeal it when you clearly broke the rules?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:04 pm

lol the disparity in proctors is funny. In June I saw people who were okay with no ziplocks and with grocery store type plastic bags.

@KevinP: There is no appeal here. Just because proctors don't all apply the rules doesn't mean that there is anything to be done for OP when this is a clear mess up on OP's part.

EDIT: Para beat me to it.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:09 pm

*sigh* You guys are right. I retract my statement about appealing.... still seems a bit harsh imo.
Last edited by KevinP on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:09 pm

Wow I am glad my proctors weren't so dogmatic about the rules. My bottled water wouldn't fit in my ziplock and I thought they may say something. From all the horror stories I have read it really makes me feel grateful for my test day experience/atmosphere.

rso11

Postby rso11 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:11 pm

Wow that's retarded. We all hard to have our bags at the front, but there was def someone who had no bag and another girl who had a freaking grocery plastic bag. My proctor was chill though.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:13 pm

rso11 wrote:Wow that's retarded.

IB someone gets pissed off at this.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:13 pm

That's so stupid! At my place, the proctors had boxes full of ziploc bags in case people forget theirs.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:14 pm

I was a little concerned about my glasses and case (though I was prepared to take them out, put them on my head and leave the case behind) but when I asked, the proctor (All 3 of them wore glasses) gave a horrified gasp and said "Oh god, you have to have your glasses! That would be awful! You're fine!" We also got to keep our bags next to us and keep our waters out and sip during the exam if we wanted.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:18 pm

rso11 wrote:Wow that's retarded. We all hard to have our bags at the front, but there was def someone who had no bag and another girl who had a freaking grocery plastic bag. My proctor was chill though.

When I took it in June there were several people who showed up with purses and backpacks and the proctor just had them hang them up on the wall. Also, there were almost a dozen people who brought cell phones. It was infuriating because I was so thorough about following the rules, then there were some people who obviously didn't bother to read any of them. /rant

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:23 pm

JennBNYC wrote:When I took it in June there were several people who showed up with purses and backpacks and the proctor just had them hang them up on the wall. Also, there were almost a dozen people who brought cell phones. It was infuriating because I was so thorough about following the rules, then there were some people who obviously didn't bother to read any of them. /rant

Welcome to life.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:29 pm

bk1 wrote:
JennBNYC wrote:When I took it in June there were several people who showed up with purses and backpacks and the proctor just had them hang them up on the wall. Also, there were almost a dozen people who brought cell phones. It was infuriating because I was so thorough about following the rules, then there were some people who obviously didn't bother to read any of them. /rant

Welcome to life.

Oh yea, I'm aware. Just ironic that for a test with so many rules, so few are stringently enforced...in my experience at least.

thirdlibra

Postby thirdlibra » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Yea I was pissed, but being the first time taking the test I wasnt even sure if I had a leg to stand on. So I just left it. I didnt however have to sign anything, and I was told that they make you sign it if you get a misconduct. Am I right?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:32 pm

I was so upset that people were allowed to bring other bags and leave them at the front. If I'd known this was allowed, I could have brought a book or something for the two hour freaking bus ride home in the rain, thanks. Is this actually allowed? To bring a backpack or purse and leave it at the front? Or is it just random proctor's mercy?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:35 pm

eit wrote:I was so upset that people were allowed to bring other bags and leave them at the front. If I'd known this was allowed, I could have brought a book or something for the two hour freaking bus ride home in the rain, thanks. Is this actually allowed? To bring a backpack or purse and leave it at the front? Or is it just random proctor's mercy?

Random proctor's mercy.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:36 pm

[quote="eit"]I was so upset that people were allowed to bring other bags and leave them at the front. If I'd known this was allowed, I could have brought a book or something for the two hour freaking bus ride home in the rain, thanks. Is this actually allowed? To bring a backpack or purse and leave it at the front? Or is it just random proctor's mercy?[/quote

Random proctor's mercy. You're only allowed that zip bag.

I was most annoyed with the cell phone issue because I had to travel on public transportation (so couldn't just leave my phone in the car) to Newark (not the kind of place you want to be without your phone). But yea, I hear ya!

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Random. We couldn't have anything on the floor of the building that wasn't in our ziplock. people who had anything else were told to go put it somewhere either outside or on another floor. (we were restricted to one floor during break). They were really nice about it, but that was definitely the rule.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:38 pm

eit wrote:I was so upset that people were allowed to bring other bags and leave them at the front. If I'd known this was allowed, I could have brought a book or something for the two hour freaking bus ride home in the rain, thanks. Is this actually allowed? To bring a backpack or purse and leave it at the front? Or is it just random proctor's mercy?

this was allowed at my testing site as well. People also borrowed pencils from the proctors. And some people had cell phones and were just told to turn them off, that if the proctor saw them or heard them they would take them away.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:39 pm

How do you appeal a misconduct?
What does a misconduct do to you?!! I NEED to know and no one will tell me!!
Will it hurt my chances for law school?
Dumbest thing ever, I handed them my ipod in the hallway outside the room.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:39 pm

paratactical wrote:
rso11 wrote:Wow that's retarded.

IB someone gets pissed off at this.

IBuprofen?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Yup. I was doing public transportation, on a Saturday, that normally takes 1-1.5 hours (one way) on Monday-Friday bus schedules... Can you imagine the mind numbing boredom of a 2 hour bus ride (that's how long it took) with NO BOOK NO IPOD NO ONE TO TALK TO?! Just turning that test over and over in your mind...

I'm just going to bring a book next time and put it in the recycling bin. I'll make sure it's a used book haha so if someone removes it from the recycling, I'll only be out 2 dollars.

But seriously, I could have used those 2 hours to study... :(.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:40 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:How do you appeal a misconduct?

You're now labeled as an outlaw. Enjoy.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Oh man, I nearly danced with joy when people at my LSAT in NYC were told they couldn't enter with their cell phones. It was great watching everyone try to decide if they wanted to hide their expensive phones outside. One girl tried to shove it down the front of her pants, but they were too tight and it was too easily noticeable.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:41 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:How do you appeal a misconduct?

Talk to LSAC about appealing. Will it hurt you? I don't know but I would guess at least a bit depending on what it was. If you did something in violation of the rules then definitely it is not worth appealing even if others got away with it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”