Curve for October 2010?

Curry

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby Curry » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:12 pm

eit wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Okay, you got me...I am Voldemort.

The 180 I am going to get a week from Friday will be proof positive.

IT WILL HAPPEN TONIGHT. INCOMPETENTIA LIES ALONE AND FRIENDLESS, ABANDONED BY HIS LOGIC GAMES. HIS SCORE HAS BEEN CHAINED THESE TWELVE DAYS. TONIGHT, BEFORE MIDNIGHT... THE SCORE WILL BREAK FREE AND SET OUT TO STRENGTHEN HIS MASTER. THE DARK LORD WILL RISE TO CCN WITH HIS SCORE'S AID, GREATER AND MORE LAME-HUMORED THAN EVER HE WAS.

I don't even have words for how awesome you are, haha.

I literally just laughed out loud.

DrackedaryMaster

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:16 pm

anstud06 wrote:I can't see how it'd be a -8. You needed 87 on the June test. -8 means you'd 93. I don't think you have to get 6 more correct to get the same score. A change of 3 (to 90) or 4 (to 91), resulting in -11 or -10 sounds more plausible. -11 more likely than -10.

A change of 3 or more upward correct answers to get the same score in October as one would have gotten in June has not occurred since 1992. 2 more last occurred in 1994. The rest have either been 1 upward, the same, or downward.

The Oct 2010 curve will probably be no harsher than -12 and the raw score required to get 170 will probably be no higher than 88.

Also, I'm not sure if this provides any info or not, but I was checking my info on LSAC to see how my graduate transcript would show up. I noticed the degree institution and LSAT score infomation for my undergrad. Is this all-time or just the last 3 years or so? My Undergrad apparentally sucks (and it has a TTTT law school). Out of like 62 takes, 38, yes 38, have LSAT percentile scores of 0-20. We've got only 1 each in the 95+, 90-94, 85-90, then 2 for each of the next two categories, then a bunch around the mid-50 range. I wished I had looked at this sooner before I requested my Grad School send my tanscript. I would have liked to see if October 2010 had been taken into account or not and if the numbers changed. Certainly, for the top 2 percentiles, I don't remember any numbers being there, but that was over 2 years ago. Is that the norm to have the majority of test takers in the 0-20 range?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:22 pm

For the third time, I shall post this...
incompetentia wrote:I see where you're coming from, but note that the only years where the NUMBER of questions increased were in 1992 (one of your 'outliers') and 2005 (raw for 170 steady). Even if one question gets tossed, the number of questions WILL increase. Two would be required for the question quantity to stay steady.
Note that in these cases, there is no reason to expect that the raw score goes DOWN, and rather the evidence is slightly stronger that it goes UP.

Also, just checked my school (which is a borderline T1/T2 law school as well)...the distribution is more even than I'd expected but the highest incidence is definitely toward higher scores. (15/97 scored in 95%+, 26/97 in 90%+) Only 6/97 in the 0-19 range.
But if you score decently, I don't see how your school's LSAT performance affects you...?

danicalifornia

Postby danicalifornia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:33 pm

where are you guys checking the info on your school?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Academic score report - the thing they put together once they process all your transcripts.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm feeling pretty crappy about how I did right now. The further away from the actual test I get, teh more I think about all the possible things I could have screwed up on.

ThreeYears

Postby ThreeYears » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:33 pm

dhrizek wrote:I'm feeling pretty crappy about how I did right now. The further away from the actual test I get, teh more I think about all the possible things I could have screwed up on.

I know exactly how you feel, I have mentally prepared for the possibility of a retake.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:40 pm

ThreeYears wrote:
dhrizek wrote:I'm feeling pretty crappy about how I did right now. The further away from the actual test I get, teh more I think about all the possible things I could have screwed up on.

I know exactly how you feel, I have mentally prepared for the possibility of a retake.

The one thing I havent braced myself for is the possibility of me having misreading a rule on LG or a misbubbling of a section. Oh God..

ThreeYears

Postby ThreeYears » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:46 pm

kkklick wrote:
ThreeYears wrote:

The one thing I havent braced myself for is the possibility of me having misreading a rule on LG or a misbubbling of a section. Oh God..

I think since you are already contemplating this possibility, like I am, we have both braced ourselves pretty sturdy for it.

I am really worried about RC and LG, I breezed through both sections, but I worry like hell.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:49 pm

I usually feel less worried the farther away from a test I get. For some reason, I generally retain less and less knowledge, and thus worry, as I keep going.

I did jump around quite a bit in RC mostly, but I am confident that there was no misbubbling (even though I am probably unusual in that I bubble after every question I answer).

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:55 pm

incompetentia wrote:I usually feel less worried the farther away from a test I get. For some reason, I generally retain less and less knowledge, and thus worry, as I keep going.

I did jump around quite a bit in RC mostly, but I am confident that there was no misbubbling (even though I am probably unusual in that I bubble after every question I answer).

Yea I didn't misbubble, under real test situations I'm very careful, but you never know..

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:22 pm

kkklick wrote:
ThreeYears wrote:

This is all that worries me. Incorrectly diagraming a LG can kill a score...and after the test, I'm like fuck...did I do that, was this right, OH SHIT maybe that guy had to be first..but at the end of the day, I trust myself to know better when the rules are right in front of me and when I think about that, I become slightly more calm.

On my last 3 PTs leading up to the exam I had over 10 bubbling errors...I was freaked about that, so on the exam I made sure as hell that my sheet was good to go lol. I had my finger on the booklet and looked at one for one, then confirmed, then moved on...better be no missbubles

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:33 pm

Have you misdiagrammed a game since the first several diagrams you've made?

If not, you're probably safe.
Seriously. :o

(Not just you, in general.)

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:54 pm

incompetentia wrote:Have you misdiagrammed a game since the first several diagrams you've made?

If not, you're probably safe.
Seriously. :o

(Not just you, in general.)

Definately. I think we all have at one point or another. In fact, I misdiagramed a rule during one of the LG for sure but I caught that one, who knows if there was one that slipped by my nets!

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:56 pm

ThreeYears wrote:

THIS!!

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:04 pm

lol you are an URM and have a 173 already with a good gpa. you never needed to retake to get into HYS. do you have a lsat fetish?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:19 am

I usually got a bad feeling when I misdiagrammed. I knew I was missing something. Maybe the first few questions I would answer and then not be able to get it because of a misdiagrammed rule. Sooooo I didn't get that feeling, so felt everything was okay, but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm like, well, what if I made a mistake they counted on me making so they gave me answers that would work???? Ah, haha.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:54 am

DrackedaryMaster wrote:A change of 3 or more upward correct answers to get the same score in October as one would have gotten in June has not occurred since 1992. 2 more last occurred in 1994. The rest have either been 1 upward, the same, or downward.

The Oct 2010 curve will probably be no harsher than -12 and the raw score required to get 170 will probably be no higher than 88.

A -12 or -13 would be most appreciated.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:55 am

eit wrote:I usually got a bad feeling when I misdiagrammed. I knew I was missing something. Maybe the first few questions I would answer and then not be able to get it because of a misdiagrammed rule. Sooooo I didn't get that feeling, so felt everything was okay, but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm like, well, what if I made a mistake they counted on me making so they gave me answers that would work???? Ah, haha.

They do this often. I have fallen for it several times. Sometimes they are nice though and make it easy for you to spot your error.

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:10 am

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:16 am

AverageTutoring wrote:
eit wrote:I usually got a bad feeling when I misdiagrammed. I knew I was missing something. Maybe the first few questions I would answer and then not be able to get it because of a misdiagrammed rule. Sooooo I didn't get that feeling, so felt everything was okay, but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm like, well, what if I made a mistake they counted on me making so they gave me answers that would work???? Ah, haha.

They do this often. I have fallen for it several times. Sometimes they are nice though and make it easy for you to spot your error.

Hmm, well, it's never happened to me before. I get the wrong feeling every time. Of course, I get a question or two wrong on a particular game because I fall for the answers that leave out a particular rule... but I've never actually gotten through a whole game with a misdiagrammed rule/forgetting a rule/missing a key inference where I was unaware that there was something I was missing.

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:29 am

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:55 am

Hmm, well, it's never happened to me before. I get the wrong feeling every time. Of course, I get a question or two wrong on a particular game because I fall for the answers that leave out a particular rule... but I've never actually gotten through a whole game with a misdiagrammed rule/forgetting a rule/missing a key inference where I was unaware that there was something I was missing.

Girls have better intuition. lol

But misdiagramming on PT's has never cost me more than two (local) questions or a lot of wasted time because, somewhere down the line, something just does not work.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:16 pm

I think I am delusionally optimistic about my score. It was my third take within a year and I won't be taking Dec no matter what so retake is out. I didn't think I got lower than a 165 so I didn't cancel.

I keep thinking there is some way I can make it through with a 171 and realistically, that's probably impossible considering I was hoping my 1st sectin was experimental and it wasn't and games which I usually breeze through, I missed the rule on the last game and missed anywhere from 2-6 questions on games (just on that last game).

I would probably be LUCKY (depending on curve) to get 1 point higher than my original score, or the same score too...

I think I missed anywhere from 8-15 questions so...I need to brace myself for a -11 curve and a 166 but... I keep thinking "Naah.. it'll be at least 1 point higher than original!"

But there is a total chance that it won't !! :cry:

mtrl

Postby mtrl » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:37 pm

I feel your pain JJDancer. I made the same mistake in Games as you. I've lost a lot of sleep playing out the scenarios of being anywhere from -3 to -6 in games. At least we'll find out soon enough.
Last edited by mtrl on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”