Curve for October 2010?

User avatar
pppokerface
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby pppokerface » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Lucky if we get a -12...? Was this test really that easy compared to Dec/June to everyone else? Even the most strongly supported blogs seem to say so as well...arg
*continues to rock back and forth*
=/

User avatar
pppokerface
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby pppokerface » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:09 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:
DrackedaryMaster wrote:
dhrizek wrote:
DrackedaryMaster wrote:Unusual how? The recent precedent that one could get a raw score as low as 87 and still get 170 was reestablished on PT59.


PT59 had a satanic LR section.

Both 59 and 60 were pretty hard tests all around. 61 wan'st easy, but it also wasn't a cakewalk.


If Satan's name is Noguchi, then I would agree. I thought the RC for PT59 was ridiculously hard and single-handedly set the curve for that test.

But let's assume you're right about the LR section being unusually difficult on PT59. I know that one of PT61's real LR sections was an experimental from PT59 due to using the TLS search function. So how do you think someone (a good scorer, say) would have handled the two LR's on PT59 plus the experimental LR with the brick-houses and/or Rule of Law and other traps set up? PT61's RC was also tested as the experimental on PT55. I feel bad for those that had to juggle both the Talk-Story and Transnationalism. Admittedly, they were probably more pi$$ed when the latter didn't count, but it wasn't all that great. And although information from the boards on Feb 2009 is sketchy, our LG apparently got tested with another somewhat difficult LG that counted on the Feb 2009 LSAT, with most relieved that PT61's LG was fake for them.

I guess my point is the composition of PT61 got experimented on tests that would have probably had a strong mental affect on the test takers. I think RC comes in slightly easier from what it was tested against on PT55 because all four passages were not ambiguous, but the questions were still challenging. If I had to guess, I'd say our LG was somewhat harder than what the Feb 2009 takers faced as their real LG, but this is based primarily on thread posts and is not really meaningful. The Dec 2009 testers with a PT61 LR Experimental, well that would be tough, with the new question stems and what-not in addition to the real LR sections. True, maybe they caught on it was experimental. But some of us on PT61 thought the same.

That's the environment the scale for our test was set to. For the record, I haven't found the other LR section at all yet. My guess is that it was an experimental on one of the Sabbath tests.


I can give you an IRL answer to the question in bold, as this is exactly what happened when I took test 59. I started off with the experimental LR as my first section that you are talking about and was so flustered and thrown by how different it was that I panicked a little bit. It wasn't until halfway through my next section (LG) that there was no doubt in my mind that I had taken the experimental as the first section because it was so different. After that realization, I managed to make it through the real LR sections and the ridiculous RC, which did as you say, set the curve after that test. The LR were slightly harder then normal but not crazy. The RC was what everybody was complaining about after the test though, and it was obvious that it was difficult. Needless to say, I had my worst raw score ever (-18) but the curve at least let me escape with a 167. To all the people that say 59 was a gift test/curve, I beg to differ.

This is encouraging at least...

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby incompetentia » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Pawlenty is not going to win the GOP nomination. I did my masters' work in Minnesota and the reason he didn't run again for governor this year is because he would have been soundly defeated by any rotting corpse the DFLers could have come up with.
Well-intentioned, I'm sure, but he more or less bankrupted the state by refusing to increase taxes and cut higher education and social services funding like crazy to make up for it.
He also managed to surround himself with the least-informed government officials in the entire state...but that's another story.

Depending on the state of the Tea Party in two years, I could see somebody like Chris Christie making a break for it...but things change. Bobby Jin-who?

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby gdane » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:12 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Ill put an end to this now. Democrats will keep their majorities in both houses of Congress. However, they will be very, very, very slim majorities. The lack of cooperation and "bipartisanship" that we saw in the last 2 years will continue and get worse.

In 2012, Sarah Palin will win the nomination, but she will be destroyed by Obama. The economy will be much improved by 2012 and thus any fear mongering about immigrants and whatnot, issues that Palin and the Republicans will surely run on, wont resonate with a lot of people.

In spite of denying it, the Republicans embrace the tea party. Why? Because they're votes. It doesn't matter what the tea party platform is, all the Republicans want are their votes. Democrats would do the same if there was an extreme left wing group.

I see a lot of flaws in jarofsoups argument, but because I stopped caring about LSAT stuff Im having a hard time remembering. I think I see some circular reasoning.

Racist against alaskans much?

Alaskans are in their own little unique world and they dont deal with a lot of the stuff mainland Americans have to deal with. By and large Alaska is in good shape.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Stop the madness! Take it here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=132756&start=1200

::flails arms wildly::

User avatar
OrdinarilySkilled
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:22 am

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:20 pm

Not tryin to be a downer, but I just don't see the -11 or -12. I think we should be prepared for a single digit. There were some hard parts/questions, but nothing that prevented people from finishing sections, and it seems like hard games or passages that cause huge time drains and spill over to causing people to not get to questions they would normally get right are what cause the big curves. I think LR being the trickiest section will end up being to our disadvantage since this may cause more wrong answers in that section, but generally won't cause a loss of gimme answers. Hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised by -8.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby incompetentia » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:22 pm

I still have seen nothing to sway me from my original prediction of -10...mostly on the strength of the same reasoning as OrdinarilySkilled.

48 and 55 were the last two below -10, and I think that with the recent tests being so generous it won't be quite that much of a swing.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby Ragged » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:23 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Not tryin to be a downer, but I just don't see the -11 or -12. I think we should be prepared for a single digit. There were some hard parts/questions, but nothing that prevented people from finishing sections, and it seems like hard games or passages that cause huge time drains and spill over to causing people to not get to questions they would normally get right are what cause the big curves. I think LR being the trickiest section will end up being to our disadvantage since this may cause more wrong answers in that section, but generally won't cause a loss of gimme answers. Hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised by -8.


Sadly I agree. The point about nothing to keep people from finishing on time is a good one. I'm still expecting a -10, but am also trying to get used to the idea of -9 or -8.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:25 pm

Curve will be between -9 and -14.

If it is a -9 I blame it on George W. Bush. We inherited this low curve.

-14 it is the fault of Obama's socialistic policies, trying to redistribute the whealth by giving low scorers a chance. Dam commi.

Why not merge the two conversations. Partisianship and curves.

Does this make any sense? No.

How long do we have until all our dreams are shatterd by the score being released? 12 days or so?

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby Ragged » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:28 pm

incompetentia wrote:I still have seen nothing to sway me from my original prediction of -10...mostly on the strength of the same reasoning as OrdinarilySkilled.

48 and 55 were the last two below -10, and I think that with the recent tests being so generous it won't be quite that much of a swing.



I'd like to believe that, but I just don't see how the curve of recent tests can have any weight on the curve of this test. I don't buy the argument that just because it hasn't happened before or the trend is such that so and so isn't gonna happen. That sounds like technical analyses in finance = fortune telling. If the test really was easier, the curve will be less to reflect that, regardless of other curves.

I think its a good idea to brace for impact of a -8 curve, just in case.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby gdane » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:30 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Curve will be between -9 and -14.

If it is a -9 I blame it on George W. Bush. We inherited this low curve.

-14 it is the fault of Obama's socialistic policies, trying to redistribute the whealth by giving low scorers a chance. Dam commi.

Why not merge the two conversations. Partisianship and curves.

Does this make any sense? No.

How long do we have until all our dreams are shatterd by the score being released? 12 days or so?

My dreams will be ok. Law school is neither sufficient or necessary for me. I just want to go for fun.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby incompetentia » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:31 pm

Ragged wrote:
incompetentia wrote:I still have seen nothing to sway me from my original prediction of -10...mostly on the strength of the same reasoning as OrdinarilySkilled.

48 and 55 were the last two below -10, and I think that with the recent tests being so generous it won't be quite that much of a swing.



I'd like to believe that, but I just don't see how the curve of recent tests can have any weight on the curve of this test. I don't buy the argument that just because it hasn't happened before or the trend is such that so and so isn't gonna happen. That sounds like technical analyses in finance = fortune telling. If the test really was easier, the curve will be less to reflect that, regardless of other curves.

I think its a good idea to brace for impact of a -8 curve, just in case.

What I meant is that this test does seem a bit easier than previous tests, but in this case the 'previous tests' were -14 and -12 curved.
I do not think that 61 was easier than, say, 54 and 55, which had much stricter curves, and that the relative difficulty of this test seems less worrisome when compared against the tests from the early 50s.

However, I'm prepared for a -8 or God forbid, a -7. That way I can be pleasantly surprised (maybe).

User avatar
r2b2ct
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby r2b2ct » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Ragged wrote:
incompetentia wrote:I still have seen nothing to sway me from my original prediction of -10...mostly on the strength of the same reasoning as OrdinarilySkilled.

48 and 55 were the last two below -10, and I think that with the recent tests being so generous it won't be quite that much of a swing.



I'd like to believe that, but I just don't see how the curve of recent tests can have any weight on the curve of this test. I don't buy the argument that just because it hasn't happened before or the trend is such that so and so isn't gonna happen. That sounds like technical analyses in finance = fortune telling. If the test really was easier, the curve will be less to reflect that, regardless of other curves.

I think its a good idea to brace for impact of a -8 curve, just in case.

I feel the same way. However, I'm not very confident in my ability to judge the difficulty of a real LSAT since it was the only one I've taken. I also felt like I was in a completely different zone than I have ever experienced during PTs. Gameday was a lot different than practice for me.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby kkklick » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:04 pm

-9 really? I'm not so sure about that. I thoughtthat in comparison to the last 6 tests, it was on the easier side, but still a lot of traps that people probably got caught up on.

I initially though -11, but I'm going with -10.

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby AverageTutoring » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:09 pm

It's not going to be a -9. It cant be. It wont be.

User avatar
pppokerface
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby pppokerface » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:12 pm

People were saying the same things about June 2010. Based on what people have said about the test sections when they were experimental, at least other people found those sections difficult. *feels less alone*

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby JJDancer » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Don't think it will be any lower than -10.

filmorejive
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby filmorejive » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:06 pm

It's not lower than a -10.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:21 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:It's not going to be a -9. It cant be. It wont be.

LSAC employees have their safety to consider.

Supremeone
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby Supremeone » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:43 pm

-7

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby minnbills » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Supremeone wrote:-7


Surely you jest.

-11 would make me quite happy, -12 and I might just get excited, -13 and I would jump for joy(I'm not an excitable person)

Supremeone
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby Supremeone » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:47 pm

minnbills wrote:
Supremeone wrote:-7


Surely you jest.

-11 would make me quite happy, -12 and I might just get excited, -13 and I would jump for joy(I'm not an excitable person)

the truth may be harsh but it shall set you free my brother

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby Hedwig » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Supremeone wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Supremeone wrote:-7


Surely you jest.

-11 would make me quite happy, -12 and I might just get excited, -13 and I would jump for joy(I'm not an excitable person)

the truth may be harsh but it shall set you free my brother


Are you Voldemort? I seriously can't see any other reason for you to suggest a -7 curve.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby incompetentia » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:56 pm

eit wrote:
Supremeone wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Supremeone wrote:-7


Surely you jest.

-11 would make me quite happy, -12 and I might just get excited, -13 and I would jump for joy(I'm not an excitable person)

the truth may be harsh but it shall set you free my brother


Are you Voldemort? I seriously can't see any other reason for you to suggest a -7 curve.

Voldemort wouldn't suggest a -7 curve...he'd Imperius it.

Supremeone
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Curve for October 2010?

Postby Supremeone » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:00 pm

^
i suspect you are voldemort because only voldemort would know what voldemort would do




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, BobBoblaw, jacmolnar, laqueredup, Pomegranate27, proteinshake, SunDevil14 and 14 guests