Anyone here take the LSAT 3 times-scores+where you got in??

littlepixie11

Anyone here take the LSAT 3 times-scores+where you got in??

Postby littlepixie11 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:58 pm

When did you take them, what did you get and what schools did you get into?
If you have a link to a similar post, please post.
Just curious, I may have to take it June 2011, a third time sadly. I tried searching for threads and only found people who took them 2 times.

Ragged

Re: Anyone here take the LSAT 3 times-scores+where you got in??

Postby Ragged » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:58 pm

I'd like to know this too. October was my third lol.

TruHoosier

Postby TruHoosier » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:11 pm

I don't know this for sure, but I don't think it is that big of an issue. I think, in general, people on this forum and most LSAT test takers stress out way too much about law schools potentially judging them for having a couple of cancellations or a low score on their record. My instructor from my TestMasters class was answering general law school questions for us on the last day of class, and this was one of the things he touched on. He told us that a vast majority of schools don't average, and the ones that do only average if the scores are close to each other. For example, if someone scores a 155 and a 160 and applies to a school that averages scores, they'll evaluate him as having a 157 LSAT. But if someone applies with a 165 and a 149 on their record, the school will assume that the applicant just had a bad day during the 149 test.

I realize there is a lot of conflicting information on this subject, but I trust my teacher more than anyone on this forum. He gets flown all over the country to teach classes, and he has a great deal of experience in dealing with law schools and people who are applying to them.

I'd have to imagine it's the same kind of a situation for a person who has canceled two or three times: Law schools won't think too much of it, and if they do, it will be a very minor consideration. I'm fairly sure you can contact most law schools individually and ask them what their procedure is in evaluating applicants with multiple scores or multiple cancellations on their records. You also might want to check out the FAQs section of your school's Web site and see if the topic is addressed in there. I've noticed some of the schools I am interested in have covered this in their FAQs.

DrackedaryMaster

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Sept 2006 (148) - Utter, utter, stupidity. Never heard of PS, didn't know TLS or LSD existed, suckered into believing the GMAT Verbal CR was similar in difficulty to LR. Walked away for 2 years pi$$ed and never applied.

June 2008 (149) - More utter stupidity. Gained a stronger familiarity with the test, but still not enough to understand how to attack the questions based on what was being asked. Also Choked on Games from lack of practice. Once again, walked away pi$$ed and never applied.

Oct 2010 (1??) - 3 months of bootcamp. Took over 43 PT's, heavily concentrated on reviewing the more recent ones, worked for consistency and was scoring in the mid 160's. Best improvement came on Games were I started to go -0/-1 routinely. Got the LR misses down to around 11 total and the RC misses down to 5. This RC went according to plan (maybe missed 4/5), LR might have been slightly more difficult for me (looks like I'm going to miss -13/-15 total, but LG has screwed me. I know I'm good on the first two games and probably got half of the Q's on Tracks/Artifacts right. As for the remaining 6 questions, I just don't know. I had worked really hard on finding inferences and working "smarter", not "harder" and not having to resort to hypos for every answer because it was usually unnecessary on most of the games I practiced. Didn't seem to be the case for these. And because of that, I figure I'm somewhere hovering in the mid 70's for a raw score. I need 160 for the schools I want to apply to (FSU/UF). 159, will probably still give me a slim shot at FSU with my 3.8+ GPA, but most likely out at UF. Miami and Stetson are also options, but I really don't want the debt, which might lead me down to FIU although I'm not really overjoyed with that option.

In either case, unless you are shooting for HYS, most schools take the highest score.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Took it 3 times, got in everywhere my highest score predicted I'd get in last cycle. One score was almost 5 years old, which was the lowest. Don't think I would have gotten in had they been averaged. I don't think this is something that law school adcomms spend more than a few seconds thinking about.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:39 pm

[quote="DrackedaryMaster"]I need 160 for the schools I want to apply to (FSU/UF). 159, will probably still give me a slim shot at FSU with my 3.8+ GPA, but most likely out at UF. quote]

IMO, you would have a better shot at UF. FSU seems to care a lot more about LSAT, while UF gives some leneincy to high GPA candidates. I know a guy with a 4.0 and a just under 160 LSAT who got dinged instantly at FSU and in at UF.

and I know FSU says they take the higher LSAT, but I haven't heard back from them and the only reason I can think they would have put my file aside is because I have a low LSAT score paired with my highest one (9 pt. difference). This may be me just being paranoid but, who knows :D

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:42 pm

I hope to hell they don't average for real. I took Sep 09, canceled, December 09, bombed (I was so sick!) and October.

I hate Harvard's bit about the LSAT "need only be taken once." Yeah, if you're a privileged kid that knows about the LSAT from 7th grade on and prepares accordingly. It's just so snooty. Ugh.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Sinra wrote:I hope to hell they don't average for real. I took Sep 09, canceled, December 09, bombed (I was so sick!) and October.

I hate Harvard's bit about the LSAT "need only be taken once." Yeah, if you're a privileged kid that knows about the LSAT from 7th grade on and prepares accordingly. It's just so snooty. Ugh.

Agreed. Fuckers.

Aias

Postby Aias » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:46 pm

Got into a couple t14 and $$$ at USC, UCLA & Vandy
161, 169, Cancel

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:52 pm

166-162-166

UVA ED. Other stuff in my profile I think.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:53 pm

I had 162, 165, and saturday was my third (hoping for 170+, god willing with some luck on LG guesses). I'm deferred at a T2 with half scholarship, but non-binding, so whether not I go there will depend on that 170.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Yep I did. Cancel, 162, 166. Applied last cycle with a 162 and got rejected from 15 schools, got loyola and wl at w&m. Retook in june. Already got fordham this cycle. Average score for my tests the first time was mid 160s and 170 by june. I have a really small bladder and took a piss mid section at least once on every test. Twice the first time, hence the cancel. But that's just me making excuses for underperforming. Ahhhh what could have been.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:03 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:Sept 2006 (148) - Utter, utter, stupidity. Never heard of PS, didn't know TLS or LSD existed, suckered into believing the GMAT Verbal CR was similar in difficulty to LR. Walked away for 2 years pi$$ed and never applied.

June 2008 (149) - More utter stupidity. Gained a stronger familiarity with the test, but still not enough to understand how to attack the questions based on what was being asked. Also Choked on Games from lack of practice. Once again, walked away pi$$ed and never applied.

Oct 2010 (1??) - 3 months of bootcamp. Took over 43 PT's, heavily concentrated on reviewing the more recent ones, worked for consistency and was scoring in the mid 160's. Best improvement came on Games were I started to go -0/-1 routinely. Got the LR misses down to around 11 total and the RC misses down to 5. This RC went according to plan (maybe missed 4/5), LR might have been slightly more difficult for me (looks like I'm going to miss -13/-15 total, but LG has screwed me. I know I'm good on the first two games and probably got half of the Q's on Tracks/Artifacts right. As for the remaining 6 questions, I just don't know. I had worked really hard on finding inferences and working "smarter", not "harder" and not having to resort to hypos for every answer because it was usually unnecessary on most of the games I practiced. Didn't seem to be the case for these. And because of that, I figure I'm somewhere hovering in the mid 70's for a raw score. I need 160 for the schools I want to apply to (FSU/UF). 159, will probably still give me a slim shot at FSU with my 3.8+ GPA, but most likely out at UF. Miami and Stetson are also options, but I really don't want the debt, which might lead me down to FIU although I'm not really overjoyed with that option.

In either case, unless you are shooting for HYS, most schools take the highest score.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure your score is going to be really high!!

littlepixie11

Postby littlepixie11 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Aias wrote:Got into a couple t14 and $$$ at USC, UCLA & Vandy
161, 169, Cancel

Woah, that is really amazing. How come you canceled?

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Ragged wrote:I'd like to know this too. October was my third lol.

Seriously? You are one of a handful who strike me as 175+ types. (Granted I've been here like 1 day.)

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:52 pm

Attorney wrote:
Ragged wrote:I'd like to know this too. October was my third lol.

Seriously? You are one of a handful who strike me as 175+ types. (Granted I've been here like 1 day.)

I think I finally did get 175+ on this one. But was less prepared for my first attempt, and last attempt I screwed up games real bad. I know.... its weird.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Sept 09 - 168 (my PT average but I felt I could do better - one LR section screwed me)
June 10 - got super sick, canceled.
Oct 2010 - (??) will update. I pray to God I hit 170. 171-173 would make me completely happy.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:08 pm

Last edited by s0ph1e2007 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:30 pm

I took it three times. Sep/Dec/Feb. 162/170/173. 3.8 GPA

The first score kept me out of CCN. Applying late (Jan) kept me out of Boalt/UVA. Failing to write a "Why Penn" essay kept me out of Penn. But the 170 got me into Mich, NU, Duke, GULC, Cornell and everything outside of the T14. The 173 afforded me a much bigger scholly at Mich, which calculates scholarships based on GPA and highest LSAT.

Hope this helps.

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:38 pm

I decided to take the LSAT a third time after I attended a law school admissions forum - 2 of the 7 adcomms I spoke to told me they would look closely at the writing section of my LSAT to measure my ability to write. I had totally BS'd it and my handwriting was hardly legible, so I didn't have much choice.

In the end, I still didn't get accepted to those 2 schools.

thatjuanguy

Postby thatjuanguy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:45 pm

I have a friend who has a score-absence-score, do they still get to take one or have they used their 3 in 2 years, anyone know?

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:51 pm

z
Last edited by risktaker on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:09 pm

risktaker wrote:I have taken the LSAT, wait for it....................................................................................................................................................

an astonishing 5 times! FML

Sept 09 (test center sucked, cancel), Dec 09 (157), Feb 10 (158), Jun 10 (153 WTF!) and finally oct 10 (Guessing 162+). Before oct 10 test, I was PT'ing in the mid to high 160s. I did really well on the LR sections and pretty well on LG, but bombed RC. I had to guess on one whole passage, but from what I hear, I missed 4 out of 7 on that passage. Hoping I only missed 3-4 other questions on RC. I was really sick for Feb and Jun tests and got no sleep the night before for either one. I got no sleep for Oct 10 test either, but I wasn't sick, so that helped tremendously. Crossing my fingers for a 165 or higher! Pray for me guys!

You had a school sign off on a extra retake twice??

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:49 pm

thatjuanguy wrote:I have a friend who has a score-absence-score, do they still get to take one or have they used their 3 in 2 years, anyone know?

abscence doesn't count as part of the three.
Cancel does.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Then, if I understand correctly, absences & timely rescheduled test dates don't count toward the three test in two year limitation ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”