Applying early if re-taking in Dec and LSAT already on file

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Applying early if re-taking in Dec and LSAT already on file

Postby jwmalone87 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:48 am

Hey guys, I'm sure someone has made a thread about this, but I've searched and couldn't find it. Apologies if I missed it.

I already have a 158 on file and I'm retaking in December. I obviously want everything done and to have that Dec score be the only thing I'm waiting on, but will schools either judge my app early based on my 158, or otherwise hold that 158 against me while my app is pending?

As an alternative, I'm also thinking I could complete virtually everything in each school's application, save their progress, but not actually send them until my score report comes in. Is this advisable?

If you were me, what would you do? (other than not get a 158 on an LSAT :()

kilgoretrout103
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Re: Applying early if re-taking in Dec and LSAT already on file

Postby kilgoretrout103 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:31 pm

I've wondered about this, too.

My tutor told me that if schools notice that you're signed up to take the December LSAT, they will postpone evaluating your file until the results come in, even if you already have a score in there. Schools report the LSAT scores of everyone they admit, so it's in their interest to wait until you have your highest score possible to admit you.

So if you submit while signed up for Dec, schools will either (a) not notice that you're signed up and evaluate you anyway, or (b) postpone evaluation until you've taken it, and treat you like a late-submitter who didn't apply until early January. Whether the increased score helps you more than the lateness hurts you is a judgment call you need to make.

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Applying early if re-taking in Dec and LSAT already on file

Postby jwmalone87 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Thanks kilgore! I actually called both UC-Davis and UC-Hastings after this and both gave me distinctly different answers. Davis said to submit it and specify to hold onto it until the December test, saying it's very common. Hastings strongly urged me not to submit until I have my second score.

From what I've gathered, if in doubt, don't submit early.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kindofcanuck, MSNbot Media, qemini1594 and 2 guests