LR Red Herrings

FlanSolo

LR Red Herrings

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:41 am

...on rule of law. Everyone keeps mentioning a red herring answer, I don't remember the question well enough to figure out what I selected. I diagrammed the question and since I was running low on time (after skipping ahead to 26 and answering confidently) connected the two items that had no connection. I'm slowing beginning to suspect this was the red herring. Sound right?

Patriot1208

Re: LR Red Herrings

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:42 am

FlanSolo wrote:...on rule of law. Everyone keeps mentioning a red herring answer, I don't remember the question well enough to figure out what I selected. I diagrammed the question and since I was running low on time (after skipping ahead to 26 and answering confidently) connected the two items that had no connection. I'm slowing beginning to suspect this was the red herring. Sound right?

this is what I did too, but it seems a lot of people don't fully remember the question so no one has come to a consensus.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:44 am

Oh well, I guess oct 29th will tell...

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:44 am

FlanSolo wrote:...on rule of law. Everyone keeps mentioning a red herring answer, I don't remember the question well enough to figure out what I selected. I diagrammed the question and since I was running low on time (after skipping ahead to 26 and answering confidently) connected the two items that had no connection. I'm slowing beginning to suspect this was the red herring. Sound right?

One of the premises was totally irrelevant. It had nothing to do with the missing assumption at all, and was obviously put there to throw us off. Once you realized that, the answer was as clear as day. I diagrammed at first, but that seemed to only throw me off more.

When I first read the question, the answer jumped out at me. But when I began thinking about it more, I confused myself. In the end, after going back, the answer my gut told me was right was actually right. The extra information made it tricky, but once you ignored it it was actually one of the easiest ones on the test.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:45 am

The conclusion was at the beginning and the following premises did not fully support the conclusion which had two gaps in it. Once diagrammed, only one answer connect the two gaps and it was...lol

Edit: to add "fully"

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:47 am

So sort of like the MBT wigs question? I forget which PT that was on, but one of the more recent ones.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:50 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

One of the premises was totally irrelevant. It had nothing to do with the missing assumption at all, and was obviously put there to throw us off. Once you realized that, the answer was as clear as day. I diagrammed at first, but that seemed to only throw me off more.

When I first read the question, the answer jumped out at me. But when I began thinking about it more, I confused myself. In the end, after going back, the answer my gut told me was right was actually right. The extra information made it tricky, but once you ignored it it was actually one of the easiest ones on the test.

Cowgirl can I PM you?

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:53 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

You know what's funny? I got that question immediately because I was too lazy by the end of the test to read the entire stimulus...I know, how bad is that :P but it actually helped tremendously because I didnt have to keep that extra crap in my head. So yes...definately half the question was there to through us off because I definately answered correctly only knowing half the stimulus

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:56 am

If this is what you did, you got it right.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:57 am

FlanSolo wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Cowgirl can I PM you?

sure thing

KylieMorrison

Postby KylieMorrison » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:58 am

Was rule of law question a MBT or justify (sufficient assumption)? I cant remember...

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:58 am

KylieMorrison wrote:Was rule of law question a MBT or justify (sufficient assumption)? I cant remember...

The latter

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:00 pm

Ragged wrote:

Thanks, I'm hopeful. Truth be told, my memory of the test isn't clear enough to feel confident about any of these difficult questions which people are now rehashing in such a painfully oblique fashion that I'm not second guessing virtually every question.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:01 pm

FlanSolo wrote:
Ragged wrote:

Thanks, I'm hopeful. Truth be told, my memory of the test isn't clear enough to feel confident about any of these difficult questions which people are now rehashing in such a painfully oblique fashion that I'm not second guessing virtually every question.

Ok, i'm hoping I got this right too. I can't remember but this one and the car park one are the only two i'm worried about that we have been talking about.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:10 pm

this is the only problem on LR I'm pretty sure I missed. I cant remember exactly but I think I picked the one dealing with tha guoud lyfe

smithryan94

Postby smithryan94 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:37 pm

what was the rule of law question? few keywords to jog my memory? can't remember it for the life of me, could've been a guess question on my behalf

nireca

Postby nireca » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:03 pm

I am a bad person and posted what I thought was the answer. Tsk Tsk on me

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:24 pm

faintly remember this, don't remember what i chose; i think i got this one wrong.

littlepixie11

Postby littlepixie11 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:25 pm

nireca wrote:I am a bad person and posted what I thought was the answer. Tsk Tsk on me

um not me.

littlepixie11

Postby littlepixie11 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:13 pm

I am a bad person and posted what I thought was the answer. Tsk Tsk on me

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:17 pm

littlepixie11 wrote:I am a bad person and posted what I thought was the answer. Tsk Tsk on me

I remember this.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”