Proctors

Tainted_Praise

Proctors

Postby Tainted_Praise » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:48 am

Is it just me.... Or are the majority of LSAT proctors on some type of power trip? It's terribly annoying. You give someone the slightest bit of "power" and they think they run the universe.... I also found it quite annoying and unnecessary to have two or three proctors shuffling through the aisles throughout the test...Lurking over the shoulders of test takers, anxious to find someone cheating... Anyway what really bugged me was the fact that one of the proctors in my room kept dragging her moccasins across the floor. I'm praying that the first LR I had was experimental, because it took me a while to get used to them walking up and down the aisle. I wasn't expecting that many at once.

J. Galt

Re: Proctors

Postby J. Galt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:55 am

That sucks. Mine were laid back, and I saw the main proctor walk around once. He didn't even get close enough to see what section I was working on. The other two never got off their asses.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:01 am

I had great laid back proctors. I think the main proctor was a faculty member at the school I was taking it at.

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:02 am

Mine kept staring at me/my row. Was disturbing. But they were really chill.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:38 am

My first exam, I barely noticed the proctors.

Saturday though, I had a bit of a Nazi though (who seemed to find joy in telling people if they were caught with a cell phone that their legal career was over).

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:43 am

My proctor looked like the kid from The Blind Side. He was an extremely good proctor though, but he kept laughing while he was reading the rules / prohibited items.

rahimali

Postby rahimali » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:05 am

my proctor had a nice set of jugs, so it was alright that she hovered over me like a hungry vulture. horray for boobies!

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:30 am

rahimali wrote:my proctor had a nice set of jugs, so it was alright that she hovered over me like a hungry vulture. horray for boobies!

:|

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:32 am

Tainted_Praise wrote:
rahimali wrote:my proctor had a nice set of jugs, so it was alright that she hovered over me like a hungry vulture. horray for boobies!

:|

I don't mind a man with a good appreciation for a nice rack. I hope you weren't too distracted, rahimali.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:38 am

We had five (!) proctors in our room. One read directions and handled the clock, and the other 4 constantly went up and down the aisles peering over everyone's shoulder to make sure they were working on the proper section and didn't have any contraband on their desktop, and heaven help you if you didn't drop your pencil the second they called time. I like to work my LR sections backwards so I got some attention initially for flipping forward in my booklet, but she seemed to realize what I was doing after she stood behind me for a few.
For the first section it was pretty annoying/unnerving but then I got used to it.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:41 am

Bill99 wrote:We had five (!) proctors in our room. One read directions and handled the clock, and the other 4 constantly went up and down the aisles peering over everyone's shoulder to make sure they were working on the proper section and didn't have any contraband on their desktop, and heaven help you if you didn't drop your pencil the second they called time. I like to work my LR sections backwards so I got some attention initially for flipping forward in my booklet, but she seemed to realize what I was doing after she stood behind me for a few.
For the first section it was pretty annoying/unnerving but then I got used to it.

You work LR backwards? crazy.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:10 am

Did it once because I noticed most of my wrong answers were at the end of LR sections and I wondered if fatigue was a factor. I scored really well, so I've been doing it that way ever since.

mb87

Postby mb87 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Last edited by mb87 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Just so you know, the official directions for proctors say that if anyone is caught with electronic/banned items they are supposed to be IMMEDIATELY ejected/scores disqualified, and no proctor wants to deal with writing up some misconduct report or getting you kicked out, so I at least just warn up front that is the punishment even though I of course would never want to have to do that. As a test taker I'd be pissed if I got in trouble for something but just as pissed if someone else's cell phone was going off constantly or worse they were somehow blatantly cheating and there was nothing done about it.

Also, the directions say something like 'walk constantly' throughout the room during the sections, which seems a little insane but a proctor following official directions would do just that.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Mine both did not know her stuff and felt she knew everything and was QUEEN OF THE WORLD!!!! She offered us earplugs, let us go to the bathroom after check in/before Section 1 (which was nice), and could not seem to read out the instructions properly/smoothly.

I would flip back once done a section to review bubbling, then I'd flip back agian to review questions. I felt like they were staring at me, but I was being legit, so I didn't care.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:22 pm

My two proctors did everything by the book generally but they were not obnoxious about anything. They just sort of sat at the front of the room, one writing something or other, the other reading a James Patterson book. Occasionally, the latter would walk around the perimeter of the room (which was kindo f weird since we were in a large lecture hall and the 25 of us only filled up the front third of the room).

ohhenry

Postby ohhenry » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:51 pm

I was in the front row and my proctors kept whispering during sections. They were nice so I didn't want to say anything. It was annoying as fuck but I was able to block it out eventually. Also, I'm pretty sure we got an extra 5 mins on the 1st section. I was worried because she wasn't calling 5 mins so at first I thought she forgot to do that, then when my watch hit 12:35 (set at 12 for every section) she called the 5 min left warning. I was in the front row and didn't turn around to see any one else's reactions. I was behind on my RC section so I just kept working. I hardly ever finish all 4 passages in 35 mins so I know it wasn't me trippin' out.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:52 pm

We had 3 proctors in a small classroom with only 15 test-takers in it. One of them walked around a fair bit, standing about 2' to my right for several minutes at a time, and once his phone vibrated in his pocket when he was right there, but...honestly, it didn't bother me.

A rhythmic sound will distract me. During section 5 someone started softly tapping their shoe or pencil or something behind me and that got annoying quick, but fortunately they stopped after only a minute or two.

But overall, I think inventing my own distractions during prep really helped. I tried to take PTs in as many conditions as I could think of. One of them was with the TV on, during shows that I actually wanted to watch.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:05 pm

I had awesome proctors. There were only 10 of us and it was a pretty small room. We had big tables and we each got one all to ourselves. It was awesome. She let us have water out, though she did tell us that we should keep it on the floor because spilling water on your test sheet would really suck. :)
She sat at the front and read a book. Glanced up occasionally. Another person sat at the back of the room. They never walked around. There was one more out in the lobby area.

A girl even brought her phone, and she'd been dropped off so she didn't have a car, and they had her turn it off and let her go hide it on another floor of the building (we had to stay on one floor during break).
They were just really nice.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Taking at Rutgers in June was pretty awful.. had like 15-17 year olds as proctors other than the main lady, who was nice. But the room was double booked and someone tried to take it over during our section 5 and writing section. Also just generally a lot of noise outside the room.

On Saturday though I was amazed at how silent our room of 100 or so was for the entire time, and the proctors were great, maybe a little slow at counting the exams but everything went extremely smoothly this time.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:11 pm

J. Galt wrote:That sucks. Mine were laid back, and I saw the main proctor walk around once. He didn't even get close enough to see what section I was working on. The other two never got off their asses.

None of mine walked around at all (or at least as far as I could tell while my face 2 inches from the paper).

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:15 pm

My proctors and overall testing atmosphere back in June were great. If anyone is Austin, feel confident in taking the test offered at ACC. Tons of room on tables to work on, a nice shiny red clock to look at the time, quiet environment, not too hot or too cold, and professional yet not incredibly dogmatic proctors.

Praying4Fall11

Postby Praying4Fall11 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:32 pm

My proctors SUCKED really bad...well pretty much the entire testing center. I tested at NCCU School of law and they made me move my car (AT 8:30am) from reserved parking after LSAC sent an e-mail stating we needed to pay, which I did, to park in reserve parking. When I asked the LSAT coordinators where to park they all looked at me like I was speaking another language :x!!! Then to make matters worse I finally find a spot about 5mins away walking and the same cop who told me to move told me I couldn't park there either. At this juncture I am livid & emotional and I go off the handle on him and tell him YOU TELL ME WHERE TO PARK THEN....he proceeds to take me 15mins away walking distance to park my car....I FLIP OUT! I tell he MUST give me a ride back to the law school. At this time (8:45) I am boo-hoo crying on the phone with my mom because I am angry...still nervous about the LSAT, and now feared that I won't be able to get in and even take the test. Luckily I get back just in time to sign in...Now in regards to the proctors they were just as bad. Literally HOVERING over you...who works well that way? One girl and her big badonkadonk kept bumping my chair as she went down the narrow lecture style aisle. The main proctor got mad at a girl who asked to move because she was left handed...and instead of asking if anyone was willing to switch seats with her, she said rudely "Well what am I pose to do, who gone switch?" I literally looked around as if I was being punked.

She goes on to read all the normal rules, even the directions that she is suppose to read to her self :| . They were COMPLETELY unprofessional and seemed to not care either way about the importance of this test to the test takers. If for some reason I do not score how I would like (which could be possible as I was still a little rattled in my first 2 sections) I WILL NEVER TEST at NCCU again....

lucaspenick.com

Postby lucaspenick.com » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:08 pm

What a nightmare scenario. Parking is challenging there.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”