What is LSAC's process for removing questions post exam Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
AverageTutoring

Bronze

What is LSAC's process for removing questions post exam

Post by AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:21 am

Hey guys. With all this talk of question removal I wanted to ask how this process actually worked. It cant be based off of test takers memory, because as you can see by the mile long threads, we all remember tidbits here or there but not enough to reconstruct the entire stimulus/answer selection in any great detail. But if it's not based off of test takers then what would cause LSAC to revist a question post-exam? I know that they use three levels of checks to ensure that questions are completely solid...so I'm not sure what causes them to question them after the fact? Perhaps, is it that a lot of test takers complain and then they revisit or....but I cant see this being the case becuase you would have a lot of test takers questioning almost every question!...Anybody know?

Thanks!

nsideirish

Bronze

Re: What is LSAC's process for removing questions post exam

Post by nsideirish » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:31 am

Kind of related..if a question is removed, does LSAC ever give a reason? Also, is there any way to view the question or is it vanished from the face of the earth?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:37 am

I recall there being some way to formally protest a question, but I have no idea how it works. I'm relatively sure that this happens every test, people panicking over certain questions. While there might have been a couple more on this test that were unique, or hadn't been seen in a while, I would bet it unlikely that any are removed from scoring. It doesn't happen that often.

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:39 am

2014 wrote:I recall there being some way to formally protest a question, but I have no idea how it works. I'm relatively sure that this happens every test, people panicking over certain questions. While there might have been a couple more on this test that were unique, or hadn't been seen in a while, I would bet it unlikely that any are removed from scoring. It doesn't happen that often.
Of course not. Nor do I think any question deserves removal. Having said that, I refuse to believe they revist questions based on what test takers think post-exam. Because as you said, there will pretty much be a litany of test takers questioning every single question! Which would essentially mean they would have to revist the entire exam post-administration...which would make little sense because they've already spent a million dollars checking it 3 times.

But if this is the case I'm going to formally protest every question in RC in hopes of getting a free point LOL

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:40 am

PT 60 had a question removed from scoring. It was from LR or RC I don't recall which.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:47 am

Robin, from TM, is notorious for challenging LSAC on some of their logic. I think its people like him that really get the ball moving.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:49 am

WonkyPanda wrote:Robin, from TM, is notorious for challenging LSAC on some of their logic. I think its people like him that really get the ball moving.
Does he take the LSAT every time it's administered? Wouldn't this go against the 2 year period policy?

If he doesn't take the LSAT then he can't challenge LSAC can he?

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:53 am

Ya, I dunno how exactly it works but I do know he takes it as often as he can. Can the question be disputed post-score release?

EDIT: Regardless, I am pretty confident that TM has a team designed for this so even if it isn't Robin taking it that they have people designed to gauge the questions and note irregularities.
Last edited by WonkyPanda on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:54 am

WonkyPanda wrote:Ya, I dunno how exactly it works but I do know he takes it as often as he can. Can the question be disputed post-score release?
Even if it was the scores were already distributed so I don't think LSAC would do anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zworykin

Bronze

Post by zworykin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:06 am

There's a formal process for disputing questions, you can look it up on the LSAC site.

After the June test this year, there was a huge uproar about a particular logic game. People with poor basic reading skills couldn't figure out what a basic term meant, and had a heck of a time with the game as a result. They sent letters, started a petition or some such, blah blah etc. The thread here had many pages in it.

In the end, a completely non-related question from another section was removed and the game was left intact. Go figure.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:08 am

zworykin wrote:There's a formal process for disputing questions, you can look it up on the LSAC site.

After the June test this year, there was a huge uproar about a particular logic game. People with poor basic reading skills couldn't figure out what a basic term meant, and had a heck of a time with the game as a result. They sent letters, started a petition or some such, blah blah etc. The thread here had many pages in it.

In the end, a completely non-related question from another section was removed and the game was left intact. Go figure.
If they ever need to remove an entire LG from a test, they should remove the entire LG section...

J. Galt

New

Post by J. Galt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:56 am

I remember that game in June... field has so many meanings. I didn't hear anyone complain about the random question they tossed out either. I wish the LSAC was more transparent, so that we could have a better understanding of everything going into the test.

kilgoretrout103

New

Post by kilgoretrout103 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:47 am

I've heard that they analyze statistics. If too many high-scorers miss a question while too many low-scorers get it right, they consider it for removal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

djjf39

Bronze

Post by djjf39 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:58 am

kilgoretrout103 wrote:I've heard that they analyze statistics. If too many high-scorers miss a question while too many low-scorers get it right, they consider it for removal.
I think this is one of the ways they will evaluate a question for removal. I know a tutor who said they also look at the overall correct/wrong from all test-takers then compare that with the position of the question within the section. So, last June they yanked the 6th or 5th LR from one section, maybe because too many people missed it. Because the question appeared earlier in the LR the LSAC could have decided the question was too vague because of the lack of correct responses.

Who knows though, the LSAC is notoriously vague in detailing exactly how it makes decisions regarding specific items.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:08 am

I think Car Thieves could get removed but maybe because I just didn't like it and probably got it wrong. The consensus correct answer didn't really affect RATES necessarily which is what the correct answer should do.

etown989

Bronze

Post by etown989 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:18 am

djjf39 wrote:
kilgoretrout103 wrote:I've heard that they analyze statistics. If too many high-scorers miss a question while too many low-scorers get it right, they consider it for removal.
I think this is one of the ways they will evaluate a question for removal. I know a tutor who said they also look at the overall correct/wrong from all test-takers then compare that with the position of the question within the section. So, last June they yanked the 6th or 5th LR from one section, maybe because too many people missed it. Because the question appeared earlier in the LR the LSAC could have decided the question was too vague because of the lack of correct responses.

Who knows though, the LSAC is notoriously vague in detailing exactly how it makes decisions regarding specific items.
it was question 19 I believe

IBThatGuy

New

Post by IBThatGuy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

zworykin wrote:There's a formal process for disputing questions, you can look it up on the LSAC site.
NM

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”