Testing Center Greivance

yannab

Testing Center Greivance

Postby yannab » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:25 pm

I took the test yesterday and I thought it was much easier than the June test. That's probably because I wasn't as nervous as the first time. I'm pretty sure I got higher than the first time but there is one problem. I took the test at Brooklyn College (because I wanted to drive to the testing center) and the desks were NO BIGGER than 5.5 inches wide. Each page is about 11 inches, each book is roughly 22 inches which means each desk was 1/4 the size of the actual book. It didn't affect me for most of the test except RC when I had to continually flip the book. For example, the passage would be on side A, and when I got to the questions on Side B, i had to flip the book back to side A because the book was folded. And the room they advertised on my ticket was not the room they sent me to. They sent me to room 2113, but the ticket said room 148. I think they intentionally misreported the room number because I highly doubt Im the first person to complain about the desk size of that room. Im thinking LSAC told them they wouldn't give them the administration should they stay in that room, forcing Brooklyn College to put a different room number. Furthermore, i had to keep my scantron on my knee, and my pencils on the floor. I'm thinking of calling LSAC tomorrow and notifying them of the situation. I wasn't the only one complaining to the proctor and Im pretty sure Im not going to be the only one calling. Also, my buddy (who's doing Pre-med at Brooklyn and has class in the same room) said he would get me a picture of the desks to send to lsac if they want one.

My question to you is should I call LSAC? What would calling possibly accomplish?
At the least, I don't want other test takers to have to deal with that in the future (as again it didn't affect my performance but it is something that needs to be addressed). If I end up getting a 165, i deserve a gold metal for taking the test in such awful conditions.

But other than that it went well.
Any thougts

BeachedBrit

Re: Testing Center Greivance

Postby BeachedBrit » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Post it on the test center wiki for everyone else to see.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Deal with it. Lord. People complaining about their testing sites is getting annoying. I had a terrible testing site as well. It was an auditorium that had a very steep floor and all the seats tilted forward. I got dizzy because I felt like I was on a roller coaster. Did it negatively affect my score? Maybe, but whatever. LSAC's not going to do anything. Just have to live with it.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:11 am

I had to take my test on the Kumba rollercoaster. Thats nothing.

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:14 am

gdane5 wrote:Deal with it. Lord. People complaining about their testing sites is getting annoying. I had a terrible testing site as well. It was an auditorium that had a very steep floor and all the seats tilted forward. I got dizzy because I felt like I was on a roller coaster. Did it negatively affect my score? Maybe, but whatever. LSAC's not going to do anything. Just have to live with it.

That isn't terrible. Terrible = sound distractions or messing up timing.

Small tables are to be expected. A steep floor? I don't see how that hurts.

yannab

Postby yannab » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:11 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I had to take my test on the Kumba rollercoaster. Thats nothing.

Nice!!!

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:17 pm

My test room was different than on my ticket too. The room on the ticket was a staging area, we had to walk a half mile across campus to the real room for our part of the alphabet. Granted the desks at the new room were good, but my point in posting is to say that changing the room is done elsewhere too and I assume it is legit because our test administration seemed top notch.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Yea I had the small desk, was only annoying for Rc and bubbling, otherwise didnt care. Sound distractions of course, very unfair, but theres nothing you, your proctors, or LSAC for that matter can do about it.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:26 pm

...confused. sorry

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:39 pm

If your complaint is something other than noise or a disruptive proctor/test taker, then it is your own fault. As soon as I walked into my test room we realized that our desks were about the same size as the ones you're talking about, in an auditorium, flip-up desks. I had heard that this might be the case, so i was prepared. However, one guy started freaking out 'oh my god. this can't be where we're taking the test. oh my god. excuse me! proctor! we're not taking the test here right? oh my god.'

I immediately realized that I was going to score higher than that guy. Sure, the desks were annoying, but maybe there were certain things about this room that were better than others? I've heard of others who had full desks but they were jammed in right next to other people, whereas in our auditorium we had many seats between each person so I couldn't hear other people scratching or writing. No room is ever going to be perfect, so just deal with it.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:48 pm

When or if you take the bar in NY ... You will be one of mmm 8,000 test takers cramed into the Jacob Javits convention center basement into 3 large rooms that hold about 3000+ people. The proctors are fucking retarded. Things break all over. Test takers are noisy. Bathrooms are far away and in short supply. Food is hard to access during breaks (which are short) and the room on day one when I took it was about 80 degrees and it dropped to about 35 degrees on day two... The New York State Bar examiners couldn't possibly care less if they tried. In short... Get used to it and consider it good practice for things to come.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:27 pm

Relax, maybe the extra stress kicked your brain into super-LSAT gear...I had a 9 point bump going from a test at huge tables to one with teeny-tiny desks...or spend free time inventing shrink ray so you can shrink yourself into a manageable size for the Dec retake.

yannab

Postby yannab » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:43 am

sanetruth wrote:If your complaint is something other than noise or a disruptive proctor/test taker, then it is your own fault. As soon as I walked into my test room we realized that our desks were about the same size as the ones you're talking about, in an auditorium, flip-up desks. I had heard that this might be the case, so i was prepared. However, one guy started freaking out 'oh my god. this can't be where we're taking the test. oh my god. excuse me! proctor! we're not taking the test here right? oh my god.'

I immediately realized that I was going to score higher than that guy. Sure, the desks were annoying, but maybe there were certain things about this room that were better than others? I've heard of others who had full desks but they were jammed in right next to other people, whereas in our auditorium we had many seats between each person so I couldn't hear other people scratching or writing. No room is ever going to be perfect, so just deal with it.

Like I said, I don't think if really affected me (except when it came to RC but that's probably minimal). It was more of shock to see that they'll let us take a test like (considering the magnitude of the exam). But, I usually take tests on small desks and I'm a 3.9 student so im not too worried. But I'm pretty sure other people were flustered and those are the people I am trying to be sensitive for.

yannab

Postby yannab » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:44 am

reasonable_man wrote:When or if you take the bar in NY ... You will be one of mmm 8,000 test takers cramed into the Jacob Javits convention center basement into 3 large rooms that hold about 3000+ people. The proctors are fucking retarded. Things break all over. Test takers are noisy. Bathrooms are far away and in short supply. Food is hard to access during breaks (which are short) and the room on day one when I took it was about 80 degrees and it dropped to about 35 degrees on day two... The New York State Bar examiners couldn't possibly care less if they tried. In short... Get used to it and consider it good practice for things to come.

Fair Enough.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”