Took LSAT 3 times. What should I do?

kwais

Re: Took LSAT 3 times. What should I do?

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Veyron wrote:

So half ride to Fordham=doomed for rejection at McDonalds due to overqualification :evil: :evil: :evil:[/quote]

Do you have no idea what the legal market is like right now. I can't imagine more than 1/2 of Ford is getting non-doc review salaried legal jobs. Sorry to burst your bubble. Hell, at Penn, 25% at least aren't. I'm so sorry that the real world isn't kindergarten.[/quote]

I know I'm inviting wrath here, but does anyone ever make the connection between not getting a job and being a bad person? Is it possible that it's hard to do well in an interview if you are soulless? I mean, a human being, not a computer is interviewing you. People hire (qualified) people that they want to work with.
Point is, be wary of mean, tunnel-visioned people who tell you that there are no jobs out there.
And yes, I know it's more complicated than I make it seem here. Just trying to add a lesser discussed point of view.

rso11

Postby rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:25 pm

rso11 wrote:Maybe you should aim lower. Bitter pill to swallow, but if you've prepped as hard as you say you have, maybe that's just where you are. Now, I think standardized tests are jack shit, but law schools go by the scores. If you really want top 30, you could always go to a lower tier for a year and then transfer to a better school if you do well...

Wait, I retract this. No fucking clue where I got the T30 ref from - must have been another post. Sorry vinny86!

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:28 pm

Veyron wrote:
tazmolover wrote:
Veyron wrote:
tazmolover wrote:Oh well. You just added that much more pressure on me.

High 3.7 maybe 3.8 gpa by end of semester.

Was aiming for Cornell with PT of 167-171. Bombed one section this time around (first time) - planning on keeping the score but retaking.

I was thinking if I hit the lower end of my PT scores in December I would be out at Cornell but still have a good shot at many top30 schools maybe some with $.

Now I'm contemplating filling out an app for the managerial position at the nearest Burger King.

Why people assume that T-30 means anything is beyond me. Best school where you want to live >>> top 30. Who do you think is going to do better in Nevada, the guy from UC Hastings or the guy from UNLV? Don't waste your $.

Well tbh a lot of the "top" state schools in bigger states tend to be in the t30.

Also I have no interest practicing in Arizona. I'm not of the biglaw or bust mentality but I just don't think I would find Arizona to my taste.

Just an example bro, although ASU and U of A are some of the best non T-14 state schools in terms of placement in the country - especially when price is taken into account and especially when you take into account that Phoenix Biglaw pays tons more than NYC or LA after COL adjustment.

The bottom line tho is, if you want to practice in NY or CA or something, you better get your ass into a T-14.

I'm Asian. Are there even Asians in Arizona?

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm

rso11 wrote:
rso11 wrote:Maybe you should aim lower. Bitter pill to swallow, but if you've prepped as hard as you say you have, maybe that's just where you are. Now, I think standardized tests are jack shit, but law schools go by the scores. If you really want top 30, you could always go to a lower tier for a year and then transfer to a better school if you do well...

Wait, I retract this. No fucking clue where I got the T30 ref from - must have been another post. Sorry vinny86!

Why? Why? Why do people cower to other posters? What you said may have another side to it, but it's not irrelevant or dangerous. Have some pride.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:35 pm

kwais wrote:
Veyron wrote:

So half ride to Fordham=doomed for rejection at McDonalds due to overqualification :evil: :evil: :evil:

Do you have no idea what the legal market is like right now. I can't imagine more than 1/2 of Ford is getting non-doc review salaried legal jobs. Sorry to burst your bubble. Hell, at Penn, 25% at least aren't. I'm so sorry that the real world isn't kindergarten.[/quote]

I know I'm inviting wrath here, but does anyone ever make the connection between not getting a job and being a bad person? Is it possible that it's hard to do well in an interview if you are soulless? I mean, a human being, not a computer is interviewing you. People hire (qualified) people that they want to work with.
Point is, be wary of mean, tunnel-visioned people who tell you that there are no jobs out there.
And yes, I know it's more complicated than I make it seem here. Just trying to add a lesser discussed point of view.[/quote]

Please tell me what firm you do hiring for? Yes, personality is a big part of things - if you already have the qualifications. There are enough qualified people out there with good personalities that firms don't have to reach down to get unqualified people with good personalities. That being said, you could probably network your way into a job from a decent state school but not a biglaw job absent top-of-the-class creds so you better not have a full debt load.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:39 pm

-

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:41 pm

@Vinny86: your main issue may be test anxiety/fear of failure. There are therapists for test anxiety. Researching LSAT tutors on Craigslist in various cities revealed a former law professor/test anxiety therapist who tutors LSAT students. I don't remember whether she was in New York City or Chicago. Very distinctive voice. Regardless of your locale, these types of issues are not uncommon.
To answer OP's question: Consider treating your issues with test anxiety before retaking.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rso11

Postby rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:51 pm

kwais wrote:
rso11 wrote:

Why? Why? Why do people cower to other posters? What you said may have another side to it, but it's not irrelevant or dangerous. Have some pride.

No! I really was mistaken. There's a post called "Prepping for the third time or something." That poster's numbers are abysmal.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:54 pm

rso11 wrote:
kwais wrote:
rso11 wrote:

No! I really was mistaken. There's a post called "Prepping for the third time or something." That poster's numbers are abysmal.

Ok. I just hate to see people bow in shame. If that was not the case here, then I apologize for assuming so.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”