Took LSAT 3 times. What should I do? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vinny86

New

Took LSAT 3 times. What should I do?

Post by vinny86 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi, I was wondering if any of you wouldn't mind reading my story and answering a few of my questions.

I've taken the LSAT 3 times. The October 2010 being my third time. The first time I took it I was not prepared at all- I know I am responsible for my results. I took it 2 years ago when I was really naive about how the LSAT works and made the mistake of not canceling my score. The second time was in June 2010. I prepared pretty well, but know I should have taken more practice tests. For the third time I was on my A game. I lived, ate, and breathed LSAT- I even took 2 exams per week and reviewed each and every question. I was so pumped and confident that I was ready this time around. I was scoring between a 156-158. BUT come test day, I got really bad anxiety that wouldn't go away. I think it was because of the pressure knowing that this was my last time. Also, that test was SO MUCH more difficult than any other LSAT I've ever taken. I actually thought it was a joke for a bit. And from what I hear from others that I know to be fairly intelligent, they thought it was extremely hard as well. Needless to say, I came out of the testing center knowing I did terrible.

If I cancel my score can I retake it again even though I've taken it 3 times?

Can you shed some light on what I should do? I am not a stupid person. I'm actually of above average intelligence and graduated with honors, but when it comes to this test I feel, how should I say? Dumb.

And the funny thing is, that I work for a lawyer and he actually tells me that he knows I would make an excellent lawyer. I just find it so unfair that this test determines pretty much if I can ever be a lawyer. Should I give up?

please help me.

EDIT:

First time I took it was Oct. 2008. Yes, that makes it 3 times in 2 years, but I read somewhere just now I would have to wait 2-3 years to re-take. True or false?
Last edited by vinny86 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Gold

Re: Took LSAT 3 times. What should I do?

Post by im_blue » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:28 pm

You can take the test 3 times in 2 years. Since you took your first test 2 years ago, you can still sign up for a 4th.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:29 pm

vinny86 wrote: Should I give up?
Yes.

P.S. You already knew that.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:29 pm

You can take it again since it's a 3 test per 2 year limit and you took the first of your 3 tests 2 years ago.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Veyron wrote:
Yes.

You are so mean. You remind me of desert fox. But he seems more eloquently mean.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Yeah, when was the first time? Don't give up. Talk to the school about sponsoring you for the fourth time. Never hear much about people doing that on here, but it is an option. What really matters is how bad you want this, and your willingness to try to get better.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:37 pm

tazmolover wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Yes.

You are so mean. You remind me of desert fox. But he seems more eloquently mean.
Ouch, will I ever be eloquently mean? Should I just give up? Please help me.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Veyron wrote:
tazmolover wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Yes.

Ouch, will I ever be eloquently mean? Should I just give up? Please help me.
I don't know. When you reply it's so blunt and to the point. DF is similar but his blunt replies are also imbued with a certain divinity.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:41 pm

[/quote]

I don't know. When you reply it's so blunt and to the point. DF is similar but his blunt replies are also imbued with a certain divinity.[/quote]

PLZ modify my original reply to imbue it with a certain divinity so I can get some idea what you are talking about. TYIA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Veyron wrote:
Yes.

CDiggy

New

Post by CDiggy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Yes, you can take the test again since you can take 3 tests within a 2 year period. And since you took your first test 2 years ago you will be able to take it again.

You should not give up, study harder, take a class, try taking 3 tests a day, buy some books and stick it to the man!!!

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:46 pm

CDiggy wrote:Yes, you can take the test again since you can take 3 tests within a 2 year period. And since you took your first test 2 years ago you will be able to take it again.

You should not give up, study harder, take a class, try taking 3 tests a day, buy some books and stick it to the man!!!
this is the worst advice i've ever seen holy jesus

rso11

Bronze

Post by rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:50 pm

Maybe you should aim lower. Bitter pill to swallow, but if you've prepped as hard as you say you have, maybe that's just where you are. Now, I think standardized tests are jack shit, but law schools go by the scores. If you really want top 30, you could always go to a lower tier for a year and then transfer to a better school if you do well...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:53 pm

rso11 wrote:Maybe you should aim lower. Bitter pill to swallow, but if you've prepped as hard as you say you have, maybe that's just where you are. Now, I think standardized tests are jack shit, but law schools go by the scores. If you really want top 30, you could always go to a lower tier for a year and then transfer to a better school if you do well...
Are you TRYING to ruin this poor guy's life?

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Veyron wrote:
rso11 wrote:Maybe you should aim lower. Bitter pill to swallow, but if you've prepped as hard as you say you have, maybe that's just where you are. Now, I think standardized tests are jack shit, but law schools go by the scores. If you really want top 30, you could always go to a lower tier for a year and then transfer to a better school if you do well...
Where would you draw the cutoff line for attending law school?

T14 or bust?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:58 pm

tazmolover wrote:
Veyron wrote:

T14 or bust?
Depends, if you are in it for the $ and have low $ prospects right now, T-14 or bust. If you reeeely want to be a lawyer (1) T-14 or bust, (2) half scholly at UCLA, UT, Vandy (3) or state flagship, GW, Ford with a full ride or close to it (60K in debt including living expenses might be acceptable assuming no UG debt).

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Veyron wrote:
tazmolover wrote:
Veyron wrote:

T14 or bust?
Depends, if you are in it for the $ and have low $ prospects right now, T-14 or bust. If you reeeely want to be a lawyer (1) T-14 or bust, (2) half scholly at UCLA, UT, Vandy (3) or state flagship, GW, Ford with a full ride.
So half ride to Fordham=doomed for rejection at McDonalds due to overqualification :evil: :evil: :evil:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:01 pm

[/quote]

So half ride to Fordham=doomed for rejection at McDonalds due to overqualification :evil: :evil: :evil:[/quote]

Do you have no idea what the legal market is like right now. I can't imagine more than 1/2 of Ford is getting non-doc review salaried legal jobs. Sorry to burst your bubble. Hell, at Penn, 25% at least aren't. I'm so sorry that the real world isn't kindergarten.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Veyron wrote:
So half ride to Fordham=doomed for rejection at McDonalds due to overqualification :evil: :evil: :evil:[/quote]

Do you have no idea what the legal market is like right now. I can't imagine more than 1/2 of Ford is getting non-doc review salaried legal jobs. Sorry to burst your bubble. Hell, at Penn, 25% at least aren't. I'm so sorry that the real world isn't kindergarten.[/quote]

Well this is pretty depressing.

Everyone you described that should go to law school has stats that qualify for T-14. Half ride to UCLA? Full Fordham?

Might as well have just said T14 or bust.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:06 pm

tazmolover wrote:
Veyron wrote:
So half ride to Fordham=doomed for rejection at McDonalds due to overqualification :evil: :evil: :evil:
Do you have no idea what the legal market is like right now. I can't imagine more than 1/2 of Ford is getting non-doc review salaried legal jobs. Sorry to burst your bubble. Hell, at Penn, 25% at least aren't. I'm so sorry that the real world isn't kindergarten.[/quote]

Well this is pretty depressing.

Everyone you described that should go to law school has stats that qualify for T-14. Half ride to UCLA? Full Fordham?

Might as well have just said T14 or bust.[/quote]

Perhaps, some state flags like Montana you could probably snag a full ride or close to it w stats that aren't quite T-14. If you really want to be a lawyer in AZ, for instance, a guy with a 3.5 and a 166 may find attending ASU on a large but not complete scholarship a good investment over the long run, expectantly if he already has some prior work experience in a field like nursing where he already has the makings of a client base (assuming he has some hustle as well.)

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Oh well. You just added that much more pressure on me.

High 3.7 maybe 3.8 gpa by end of semester.

Was aiming for Cornell with PT of 167-171. Bombed one section this time around (first time) - planning on keeping the score but retaking.

I was thinking if I hit the lower end of my PT scores in December I would be out at Cornell but still have a good shot at many top30 schools maybe some with $.

Now I'm contemplating filling out an app for the managerial position at the nearest Burger King.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:12 pm

tazmolover wrote:Oh well. You just added that much more pressure on me.

Was aiming for Cornell with PT of 167-171. Bombed one section this time around (first time) - planning on keeping the score but retaking.

I was thinking if I hit the lower end of my PT scores in December I would be out at Cornell but still have a good shot at many top30 schools maybe some with $.

Now I'm contemplating filling out an app for the managerial position at the nearest Burger King.
Why people assume that T-30 means anything is beyond me. Best school where you want to live >>> top 30. Who do you think is going to do better in Nevada, the guy from Wash U or the guy from UNLV? If you miss Cornell, don't waste your $.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Veyron wrote:

Why people assume that T-30 means anything is beyond me. Best school where you want to live >>> top 30. Who do you think is going to do better in Nevada, the guy from UC Hastings or the guy from UNLV? Don't waste your $.
Well tbh a lot of the "top" state schools in bigger states tend to be in the t30.

Also I have no interest practicing in Arizona. I'm not of the biglaw or bust mentality but I just don't think I would find Arizona to my taste.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:21 pm

tazmolover wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Why people assume that T-30 means anything is beyond me. Best school where you want to live >>> top 30. Who do you think is going to do better in Nevada, the guy from UC Hastings or the guy from UNLV? Don't waste your $.
Well tbh a lot of the "top" state schools in bigger states tend to be in the t30.

Also I have no interest practicing in Arizona. I'm not of the biglaw or bust mentality but I just don't think I would find Arizona to my taste.
Yea man just do a COA clerkship or something

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:22 pm

tazmolover wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Just an example bro, although ASU and U of A are some of the best non T-14 state schools in terms of placement in the country - especially when price is taken into account and especially when you take into account that Phoenix Biglaw pays tons more than NYC or LA after COL adjustment.

The bottom line tho is, if you want to practice in NY or CA or something, you better get your ass into a T-14.
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”