Can't focus on anything else

cinefile 17

Can't focus on anything else

Postby cinefile 17 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:37 pm

I have a big test on Wed., but I can't focus on anything except the LSAT. I'm still trying to decide if I should cancel, so I'm just obsessively checking TLS to see if I can get more info. to help me make my decision. FML. I NEED TO FOCUS.

tazmolover

Re: Can't focus on anything else

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Summarize your lsat story. Let me give you my useless advice.

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:42 pm

Just don't worry about it, no way you should cancel. Unless you are trying for a school that averages LSAT's, you have to look at a cost/benefit analysis. There is zero cost (it's easy to justify a low score with an addendum) and there is a chance at a benefit (you never know, your guesses may have been spot on or there could be a tremendous curve).

The juice is worth the squeeze because the squeeze is effortless ;)

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Okay, here's my story.

I already have a 169 and a 3.4- something. I'm probably going to ED to UCLA. Besides that I would love to get into USC or Michigan. I most likely will wait and reapply if I do not get into a top 18 school.

I know that with a 169 I don't have much of a shot at any of the schools above. So I figured I would retake October. However, yesterday I guessed on a whole 7 question logic game (I think I did decently well on the rest of the test).

I'm guessing my new score will be between a 167 and a 171. I can't decide if the small possibility I could do okay and end up with a 170 or 171 (and possibly help myself get into one of the schools listed above) is worth the possibility that I might get a 167 or 168 (and ruin the tiny chance I have).

Right now I'm leaning toward not canceling just b.c. I don't want to be haunted by the possibility that I might have reached a 170 or 171. I guess maybe I'd rather get a worse score and at least it wont be a question in my mind.

What do you think?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:00 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:Okay, here's my story.

I already have a 169 and a 3.4- something. I'm probably going to ED to UCLA. Besides that I would love to get into USC or Michigan. I most likely will wait and reapply if I do not get into a top 18 school.

I know that with a 169 I don't have much of a shot at any of the schools above. So I figured I would retake October. However, yesterday I guessed on a whole 7 question logic game (I think I did decently well on the rest of the test).

I'm guessing my new score will be between a 167 and a 171. I can't decide if the small possibility I could do okay and end up with a 170 or 171 (and possibly help myself get into one of the schools listed above) is worth the possibility that I might get a 167 or 168 (and ruin the tiny chance I have).

Right now I'm leaning toward not canceling just b.c. I don't want to be haunted by the possibility that I might have reached a 170 or 171. I guess maybe I'd rather get a worse score and at least it wont be a question in my mind.

What do you think?

Sounds like the "curve" is going to be very important for you! I hope it works out.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Had the same problem last June. Felt shitty for so long afterward and could not stop thinking about it. It sucks I know. You are just gonna have to bite your upper lip and focus at the task at hand. Just know that alot of people are in the same situation. Even the people who think they did well.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:53 pm

There is zero cost (it's easy to justify a low score with an addendum)

I am in a very similiar situation as OP- just subtract 10 points from their score. Do you have any examples that would help back up your claim that it is easy to write an addendum about a lower score the second time? It is hard to find info on this specific topic. I didn't feel like I bombed one particular section, I just feel like I may have let my nervers get the best of me. I had just an overall "oh crap I feel like I failed it" moment because I was more nervous than I imagined I would be.

As for the OP: I don't really have advice but just wanted to verify that you are not alone. I would hate the idea of cancelling when I actually did better. I'm leaning towards hanging in there for my score. Since you feel you did decently on the other parts of the test, I say strongly consider keeping it. Good luck, I'm sure no matter what happens it will work out for you.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:01 pm

JurisDoctorate wrote:Just don't worry about it, no way you should cancel. Unless you are trying for a school that averages LSAT's, you have to look at a cost/benefit analysis. There is zero cost (it's easy to justify a low score with an addendum) and there is a chance at a benefit (you never know, your guesses may have been spot on or there could be a tremendous curve).

The juice is worth the squeeze because the squeeze is effortless ;)

I am in a very similiar situation as OP- just subtract 10 points from their score. Do you have any examples that would help back up your claim that it is easy to write an addendum about a lower score the second time? It is hard to find info on this specific topic. I didn't feel like I bombed one particular section, I just feel like I may have let my nervers get the best of me. I had just an overall "oh crap I feel like I failed it" moment because I was more nervous than I imagined I would be.

As for the OP: I don't really have advice but just wanted to verify that you are not alone. I would hate the idea of cancelling when I actually did better. I'm leaning towards hanging in there for my score. Since you feel you did decently on the other parts of the test, I say strongly consider keeping it. Good luck, I'm sure no matter what happens it will work out for you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”