Need to Disclose?

kwais

Need to Disclose?

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:41 am

Hey there, I'm going to call a few state's C&F office, but I thought I'd ask here first.

I'm 26. When I was 15 I took a shirt from a department store. The rent-a-cop caught me, gave me to a nearby real cop. The cop took me downtown and gave me to my parents. Never had to show up in court, never had to do community service, never had to pay a fine. It is certainly expunged, but I've heard that expungement is irrelevant to the bar.
Was I arrested? Convicted?
Do I have to disclose?

Thanks for any constructive advice.

tazmolover

Re: Need to Disclose?

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:42 am

I would disclose since it was so long ago I don't think it can hurt you.

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Posted in the wrong section. Might get better help by putting this in the admissions forum.

That said, I don't think there's anything to disclose. You should probably ask your parents what they remember.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Wrong forum.

I would lean towards disclosing. More than likely it won't be a big deal (assuming you have not had any legal trouble since).

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Disclose.

It shouldn't have any effect (at least from what I understand of the C and F.)

But... if you don't disclose, and it somehow comes up on the C and F, it could be an issue.

So why not just disclose?

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:39 pm

minnbills wrote:Disclose.

But... if you don't disclose, and it somehow comes up on the C and F, it could be an issue.

Lying on C&F is the "kiss of death." As the above poster put it, disclose. You don't want to get into law school only to not be able to sit for the bar in three years.

I've been through C&F... it is more thorough than anything you can imagine. It is on par with a government security clearance.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:42 pm

theantiscalia wrote:

Lying on C&F is the "kiss of death." As the above poster put it, disclose. You don't want to get into law school only to not be able to sit for the bar in three years.

I've been through C&F... it is more thorough than anything you can imagine. It is on par with a government security clearance.

Errrrm...not sure if all states' data mirror Ohio, but this graph seems to say that "0" were denied and not permitted to reapply.

http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/AttySv ... efault.asp

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:48 pm

Disclose. I know of similiar situations involving Halloween pranks when applicants were under 10 years old & were still on small town police records even though only parents were called to police station. It is actually more severe than most federal government security clearances because the state bars look for anything while clearances often have narrower categories.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:00 pm

theantiscalia wrote:

Yeah. And to the OP just keep in mind that many, many people are applying (and getting accepted) with various embarassing things on their records. I will have something from when I was 13 (not on my record, but I will be disclosing)

Just play it safe and disclose.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:11 pm

thank you very much guys. I think I will disclose. It's just difficult to imagine putting something negative on the app. Oh well.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:11 pm

also, I will try to post in right forum. still getting used to this

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”