Overheard at the LSAT

LSAT Blog

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby LSAT Blog » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:05 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Me (knowing that a cancelled test isn't "scored" because it isn't part of the curve):

The LSAT "curve" is put together before the test is taken. The cancel has no impact on the curve for that test.

The "curve" is calculated to a certain extent beforehand. However, LSAC does still analyze test-takers' results when the test is given as a full exam before finalizing the raw score conversion chart ("curve").

I once emailed LSAC about whether canceled scores are included in the analysis. They said:

"LSAC policy allows test takers to cancel their scores up to six calendar days after the test. Since we begin carrying out analyses within a couple of days of the test, we are not able to excluded canceled scores from the data."

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Not really overheard, but the look on people's faces when I told them I was retaking a 167. I wanted to say it was because of TLS haha.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:09 pm

john1990 wrote:sorry no new stories from me, i was talking to a couple people though about the Yankees game and accidentally referred to the Yankees guys as gays "the Yankees didn't use their best gays against the rays" although the Yankees are gay so it w.e
Also i mentioned that i used an adhesive to glue my picture to my ticket stub that i had used to put a safe back together because that's all i had, and i commented on the fact that my picture was black and white and that its not against the rules, to which some one joking replied "dude that's clearly not you your not black and white" lol i aim to entertain :mrgreen:

Fuck you. And not for the Yankee hate. Gay isn't derogatory. Don't use it that way

paul34

Postby paul34 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:28 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:34 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
john1990 wrote:sorry no new stories from me, i was talking to a couple people though about the Yankees game and accidentally referred to the Yankees guys as gays "the Yankees didn't use their best gays against the rays" although the Yankees are gay so it w.e
Also i mentioned that i used an adhesive to glue my picture to my ticket stub that i had used to put a safe back together because that's all i had, and i commented on the fact that my picture was black and white and that its not against the rules, to which some one joking replied "dude that's clearly not you your not black and white" lol i aim to entertain :mrgreen:

Fuck you. And not for the Yankee hate. Gay isn't derogatory. Don't use it that way

I simply misspoke, however, i have the freedom to say whatever i want.
Its just semantics anyway, asshole

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:34 pm

They're probably just cross checking the results that come in with the previously recorded data retrieved as experimental sections to make sure there aren't any glaring differences. The cancellations after the fact might skew the curve if that was the only data collected on the sections, but that's not the case.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:38 pm

1. A kid telling me he set outside a whole year to study, but ended up only taking 2 practice tests this week and nothing else. Said his score was pathetic but he's sure adrenaline of actual test will make it up for him

2. Overhearing 2 kids say they took 1 practice test, etc...

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:40 pm

john1990 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

"semantics" = the best excuse for homophobia ever.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:44 pm

kwais wrote:
john1990 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:55 pm

kwais wrote:
john1990 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

honestly i have no problem with [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] queers or homos :mrgreen:

hankypanky

Postby hankypanky » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Something funny: Some guy cut his student ID and used someone else's tape to tape his picture to the ID form. PAHAHAHA.

Also: People were totally gunnin' the writing section. The proctor judged me because I stopped writing 15 minutes in to the section. It's ok though, she was fat.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Ahh, that time again. Come on guys, Oct '11 stories suck so far.

Rheastoria

Postby Rheastoria » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Not LSAT-particular, but while we were all waiting, two (obviously) Young Republicans in dresswear were talking about how the best way to decrease the amount of abortions would be to raise the credit scores of the women who have them... so they can't buy a car to drive to abortion clinics. I really hope these two don't make it to law school.

Postby 20121109 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:28 pm

john1990 wrote:
honestly i have no problem with [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] queers or homos :mrgreen:

Such language is not tolerated on TLS. Banned.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:33 pm

Rheastoria wrote:Not LSAT-particular, but while we were all waiting, two (obviously) Young Republicans in dresswear were talking about how the best way to decrease the amount of abortions would be to raise the credit scores of the women who have them... so they can't buy a car to drive to abortion clinics. I really hope these two don't make it to law school.

This wouldn't even work. Have they not heard one of the ~500 car dealership commercials about "No credit, No Problem?" There's a particularly annoying one in STL that ends with: "So easy, makes you want to slap yo mama!" I've never understood this one.

Rheastoria

Postby Rheastoria » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:37 pm

Kabuo wrote:
Rheastoria wrote:Not LSAT-particular, but while we were all waiting, two (obviously) Young Republicans in dresswear were talking about how the best way to decrease the amount of abortions would be to raise the credit scores of the women who have them... so they can't buy a car to drive to abortion clinics. I really hope these two don't make it to law school.

This wouldn't even work. Have they not heard one of the ~500 car dealership commercials about "No credit, No Problem?" There's a particularly annoying one in STL that ends with: "So easy, makes you want to slap yo mama!" I've never understood this one.

I was seriously about to bring that up until I realized there was no way I was getting into a debate with these two when I had better things to do. It was pretty hard to control the laugher. They were so into it.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Rheastoria wrote:
I was seriously about to bring that up until I realized there was no way I was getting into a debate with these two when I had better things to do. It was pretty hard to control the laugher. They were so into it.

Almost certainly the right call.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:46 pm

A kid raised his hand and asked if we got restroom breaks between every section. He looked hurt when the proctor said no. I felt kind of bad for him.

zozin

Postby zozin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Some little kid slapped the window on the classroom room, when everyone started looking at him, he ran away. Other than that, it was pretty nondescript.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:12 pm

no one wore a suit this time...found that odd. Last time (june) i sat next to a guy who told me he had just decided to take the test a little while before that. No big deal, I was a last minute test taker my first time. I at least congratulated him on being able to take the test before the cycle began so he could apply early...he said he was applying for that fall. Felt bad, then felt worse when the proctor told him that there is not a 15 minute break between EACH section. This time around it was pretty casual, very few people took, all seemed reasonable prepared, i also talked to none of them.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:16 pm

(mentioned in the waiting tread)...

Girl behind me got dismissed for allegedly filling in bubbles in a different section. She was stunned. I think in this situation it was unfair to ruin what I assume she had a lot riding on (and lots of $) for an opinion that was pretty subjective. Yikes.

equivocation

Postby equivocation » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:21 pm

At today's administration

Girl 1: "Have you ever taken one before?"
Girl 2: "Taken what?"
Girl 1: "An LSAT"
Girl 2: "Actual or Practice?"
Girl 1: "Practice"
Girl 2: "No"

WTF and I'm the one canceling because I'm so disappointed in my score.

Eve0000

Postby Eve0000 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:23 pm

During the break overheard a conversation between two girls...

A: I hate that America does this thing where everything is just based on one test. I don't think this test is a good representation of how good of a lawyer you will be.

B: Well I guess they are trying to test your logic since the whole test is about logic.

A: My boyfriend and all the lawyers he works with keep telling me that nothing you do at work is like the LSAT. It's so stupid that everything is based on just this one test. I don't even want to go to law school, my mom is making me!

(More LSAT discussion)

B: My favorite section is logic games mainly because I just hate reading. I never read for college. I refuse to read.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Eve0000 wrote:
B: My favorite section is logic games mainly because I just hate reading. I never read for college. I refuse to read.

She's not going to enjoy law school.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:25 pm

During the portion of filling in the answer sheets with the biographical information:

Test Taker: "Do we use the stars "*" for our social security number like it appears on our tickets?"
Proctor: "Do you have stars in your social security number?"
Test Taker: awkward look
Proctor: "I'd use the numbers instead."

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”