Overheard at the LSAT

JamMasterJ

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:56 pm

Hunterrhoid wrote:
GeneralPeckem wrote:Guy #2: Am I allowed to randomly guess on questions?
Proctor: confirms no penalty for incorrect answers
Guy #2: Even the questions I don't have time to read? I can randomly guess on those too?

Guy #3: I forgot to bring my highlighter. Can I use a pen to underline?
Girl #1 (from previous post, interjecting before proctor can respond): No, because there's no way to erase the ink.
Proctor: motions to the assistant to return to girl #1 and then explains pens are not permitted on desk
Guy #3: Oh okay, but since I don't have a highlighter, I can use my pencil to underline, right?

Somebody get that man through the bar so I can hire him as my attorney. I want to go out in flames.

sadly, he will likely get into SOME law school

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:03 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Hunterrhoid wrote:
GeneralPeckem wrote:Guy #2: Am I allowed to randomly guess on questions?
Proctor: confirms no penalty for incorrect answers
Guy #2: Even the questions I don't have time to read? I can randomly guess on those too?

Guy #3: I forgot to bring my highlighter. Can I use a pen to underline?
Girl #1 (from previous post, interjecting before proctor can respond): No, because there's no way to erase the ink.
Proctor: motions to the assistant to return to girl #1 and then explains pens are not permitted on desk
Guy #3: Oh okay, but since I don't have a highlighter, I can use my pencil to underline, right?

Somebody get that man through the bar so I can hire him as my attorney. I want to go out in flames.

sadly, he will likely get into SOME law school
Haha, "likely"

You're a funny guy

Law school bubble really needs to burst soon

avamango

Postby avamango » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:30 am

ttf1867 wrote:Oh and then she erased about half of her writing section and rewrote it. I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

Uhhh I definitely erased a lot on my writing section... Is that bad?

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:34 am

avamango wrote:
ttf1867 wrote:Oh and then she erased about half of her writing section and rewrote it. I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

No, why would it matter that you erased some?
Last edited by FantasticMrFox on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

zozin

Postby zozin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:
avamango wrote:

You're supposed to cross out any errors, for some weird reason.

avamango

Postby avamango » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:
avamango wrote:

No like for real. I did not even think twice about it. I was unaware that our essays were being converted into PDF's. It makes sense now and in retrospect, I do recall the proctor saying something about striking out words as opposed to erasing them. I really hope this is not as big of a deal as I'm feeling like it is... is it?

soj

Postby soj » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:39 am

avamango wrote:No like for real. I did not even think twice about it. I was unaware that our essays were being converted into PDF's. It makes sense now and in retrospect, I do recall the proctor saying something about striking out words as opposed to erasing them. I really hope this is not as big of a deal as I'm feeling like it is... is it?

You're fine. The essay will still be legible. Even if it weren't, you're still fine. I erased stricken words in my spare time in the section because I didn't want to do any more thinking and I figured why not make the writing sample look neater so it leaves a more positive impression when adcoms give it the 0.5-second lookover?
Last edited by soj on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:41 am

avamango wrote:No like for real. I did not even think twice about it. I was unaware that our essays were being converted into PDF's. It makes sense now and in retrospect, I do recall the proctor saying something about striking out words as opposed to erasing them. I really hope this is not as big of a deal as I'm feeling like it is... is it?

I doubt it; the rule stands so that they don't end up with an illegible essay but as long as you erased well, it should be completely fine (as in, didn't create huge gray smudges)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 am

avamango wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:
avamango wrote:

No like for real. I did not even think twice about it. I was unaware that our essays were being converted into PDF's. It makes sense now and in retrospect, I do recall the proctor saying something about striking out words as opposed to erasing them. I really hope this is not as big of a deal as I'm feeling like it is... is it?

The issue is that the scanner picks up graphite on the paper, not just the black marks (hence the #2 pencil requirement). If you erase, some graphite is left behind and it could obscure the new word you write in that place. But if you erase well, it's not very likely (just like on the bubble answer sheet).

Plus, it's the writing section. A couple of smudgy words are not going to make a difference, as long as you're writing semi-coherent sentences on the proper topic and not just drawing pictures of penises.

avamango

Postby avamango » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:48 am

That's a relief. The last thing I'd want to start worrying about is whether or not I accidentally submitted an illegible writing section.

soj

Postby soj » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:49 am

rinkrat19 wrote:The issue is that the scanner picks up graphite on the paper, not just the black marks (hence the #2 pencil requirement). If you erase, some graphite is left behind and it could obscure the new word you write in that place. But if you erase well, it's not very likely (just like on the bubble answer sheet).

Exactly. The whole sheet is like a bubble in that it's graphite-sensitive, not color-sensitive like scanners we normally use. That's why I crossed out and then erased (thoroughly) in my spare time, without writing over any of the spaces I erased.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:50 am

Our proctor repeated the no erasing thing like 3 times as though erasing would get our shit cancelled, was definitely overly intense about it.

avamango

Postby avamango » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:51 am

soj wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The issue is that the scanner picks up graphite on the paper, not just the black marks (hence the #2 pencil requirement). If you erase, some graphite is left behind and it could obscure the new word you write in that place. But if you erase well, it's not very likely (just like on the bubble answer sheet).

Exactly. The whole sheet is like a bubble in that it's graphite-sensitive, not color-sensitive like scanners we normally use. That's why I crossed out and then erased (thoroughly) in my spare time, without writing over any of the spaces I erased.

Oh snap. Wait that means I actually could have submitted an illegible essay. I erased well, but I erased a quite a bit...

soj

Postby soj » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:52 am

avamango wrote:Oh snap. Wait that means I actually could have submitted an illegible essay. I erased well, but I erased a quite a bit...

You're fine. Sorry to scare you, that was douchey of me. If you erased well, you have nothing to worry about. Besides, this is the writing sample we're talking about.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:53 am

avamango wrote:
soj wrote:

Oh snap. Wait that means I actually could have submitted an illegible essay. I erased well, but I erased a quite a bit...

don't worry, a thick/precise line of writing amidst a thin, greying cloud of graphite is still legible. i think this forum is making you needlessly worry :wink:

avamango

Postby avamango » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:56 am

Yeah it's all good.

On a side note,

[June 24] - [June 8] = 16 days until scores!

(hopefully)

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:03 am

Before the test started I talked to one guy and one guy only, and before any of the sections had began the head proctor kicked him out because he brought a digital watch in. He offered to throw it away and everything. I must have been bad luck.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:19 am

avamango wrote:Yeah it's all good.

On a side note,

(hopefully)

aint it always been 2-4 days, and the release date is 29 so.... 25 at earliest?

avamango

Postby avamango » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:56 am

Deuce wrote:

On a side note,

(hopefully)

Three weeks from test date? [June 06] + 21 days = [June 27]. Or am I missing something?

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:03 am

avamango wrote:
Deuce wrote:

On a side note,

(hopefully)

Three weeks from test date? [June 06] + 21 days = [June 27]. Or am I missing something?

LSAC says the release date is the 29th. In the past they have actually been released 2-4 days prior to the anticipated release date.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:04 am

This thread is not so funny anymore. :-(

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:10 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:This thread is not so funny anymore. :-(

+1

gggrra

Postby gggrra » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Yea thread went from hilarious to unfunny pretty quickly there.

Also, this thread makes me want to show up at LSAT admins just to troll... (maybe if I got my target score this time...)

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeneralPeckem

Postby GeneralPeckem » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:40 pm

At the conclusion of Monday's examination, everybody quietly filed out of the room. I was relieved to witness such an orderly departure.

In contrast, when I previously took the exam several years ago, the proctor's announcement that we were free to leave elicited a slightly different reaction from the peanut gallery. The room erupted into boisterous applause culminating in a sustained cacophony of cheering, hollering, and unrestrained cries of puerile jubilation. It was worse than a coors light commercial.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”