Overheard at the LSAT

GeneralPeckem

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby GeneralPeckem » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Guy #2: Am I allowed to randomly guess on questions?
Proctor: confirms no penalty for incorrect answers
Guy #2: Even the questions I don't have time to read? I can randomly guess on those too?

Guy #3: I forgot to bring my highlighter. Can I use a pen to underline?
Girl #1 (from previous post, interjecting before proctor can respond): No, because there's no way to erase the ink.
Proctor: motions to the assistant to return to girl #1 and then explains pens are not permitted on desk
Guy #3: Oh okay, but since I don't have a highlighter, I can use my pencil to underline, right?

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:37 pm

GeneralPeckem wrote:Guy #2: Am I allowed to randomly guess on questions?
Guy #2: Even the questions I don't have time to read? I can randomly guess on those too?

i'm dying

FRFC3S

Postby FRFC3S » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:42 pm

I took the test at Suffolk in Boston.

*musket shots, a parade of men in revolutionary regalia, sirens, and drums are heard*
Proctor: If the war continues, I will stop the clock and we will wait for the redcoats to pass.

[Also, later that day]

Proctor: .. and you may begin.
*Kid next to me fills in 25 or so dots, looks up, then puts his head down.*
*different proctor gestures to a third proctor*
Proctor 2: You can really tell who studied and who didn't. That particular gentleman is always finished with the section before everyone else
*I facepalm mid-test*

j12

Postby j12 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Third Time Test Taker. I'm a TTTT
First time (Dec 2010) One individual strolled in while instructions were being read. The proctors were nice enough to let him take the test. His cell also went off during the test, which proctors confiscated, but allowed him to continue testing.
A couple people had trouble filling out their names.
Right before the proctor was going to tell us to start the first section another guy interrupts the proctor to say he has been having dehydration issues lately and may occasionally need to take drinks of water during the test. I really have no problem with someone occasionally getting a drink during the test, but I have to believe 1) that excuse was BS 2) he should have told the proctor when he checked in.
Also, due to my own poor planning I had to take a pee break during section 2.

Both Feb and June went smoothley except for dealing with the A0/AO issues this time around.

Cookies

Postby Cookies » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:00 pm

GeneralPeckem wrote:Proctor: [Scratch paper not permitted on multiple choice...]
Guy #1 (aghast): Whoa, what?! You AREN'T going to give me scratch paper?
Proctor: repeats instructions and confirms no scratch paper
Guy #1 (exasperated): Not even a sheet? Not ONE sheet? Are you sure I can't have just a single sheet?
Proctor: Yes, I'm sure.
Guy #1 (enraged): slams pencil down in disgust
Proctor: resumes instructions

Girl #1 (hesitant): Wait a minute - so like - we can't make any marks in the test book then, right?
Proctor: corrects the misunderstanding
Girl #1 (confident): Oh, okay. So I can, like, cross off answer choices in the test book as long as I don't use it for scratch paper. Now I get it.
Girl #1 (baffled): Then why does it say I can't leave any stray marks?
Proctor: explains the difference between the answer sheet and test book
Girl #1 (inexorable confusion): So I have to erase everything but my answers from both the test book and answer sheet before time is called??
Proctor: motions to an assistant to attend to the girl personally

I burst out laughing in class... Curse you.

Girl #1 (from previous post, interjecting before proctor can respond): No, because there's no way to erase the ink.
Proctor: motions to the assistant to return to girl #1 and then explains pens are not permitted on desk
Guy #3: Oh okay, but since I don't have a highlighter, I can use my pencil to underline, right?

*dies again*

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:02 pm

New to this forum, and this thread really helped me lighten up about the waiting game!

My fellow test-takers were pretty un-funny, but I enjoyed the proctor.

After reading the instructions for the writing sample:
Student: Sorry, did you say we can't erase?
Proctor: It says to cross out errors and not to erase... but, I mean, do whatcha do.

ttf1867

Postby ttf1867 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:06 pm

warandpeace wrote:
your avatar is awe sum. i'm assuming you loved the rc section?

Yeah apparently I'm the only person on TLS who doesn't think it was a total disaster. RC is usually my weak section, but I just got in the zone and it was fine.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:20 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:and Crumpets I feel your pain. We were definitely in the same room if in addition to the "A space" problem she called "5 minutes remain" *mass panic and scribbling* One minute later: "Ohh, errr...nine minutes remains"

Hahha unfortunately no, that did not happen. We switched proctors somewhere during the test and it was an asian lady instead of the original old fat dude who gave us trouble with the A0 stuff. I wish my room had been more amusing, the only other funny thing was some aspie kid sitting next to me who asked 29348234832 questions x_X He's the one who started the whole A0/AO debate, and he kept chuckling under his breath really loudly and making super loud and awkward comments to himself about it.

Oh, and he also only brought 1 pencil. e_e When he saw I brought like 7, he was like "Oh wow you are so much more prepared than me..." It was awkward.

Haha as awkward as me standing in line with three Cooley hopefuls and a Cooley 1L? He was talking about how rough law school is (sometimes you have to read 80 pages for the next class!!! haha) and without thinking I said "Yea I just read somewhere that the average student at T10 studies 7 hours a day outside of class but I'm just gonna try not to think about that when I send out my apps." My internal dialogue was like Shit! You are not talking to TLSers here. Way to sound like "that girl". Excuuuuse me everybody, MAKE WAY FOR QUEEN DOUCHE

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Guy: (clearly flirting) "So, ready for the test?"
Girl: "Yeah, I studied for like a whole week. But it's all basically common sense."
Guy: "Oh, hell yeah. You'll do fine."
Girl: "Hope so."
Guy: "So...did you graduate this year?"
Girl: "Yeah, I'm done!"
Guy: "Awesome. So what do you want to do, career-wise?"
Girl: "I don't know."

Proctor is announcing rules. Guy in the front row's hand goes up.

Guy: "Hey, how will I know my score?"
Proctor: "It's emailed to you."
Guy: "When?"
Proctor: "In about thirty days"
Guy: "Ah, man..."

Proctor goes back to announcing. Guy doesn't even bother to raise hand.

Guy: "Wait! Can't I figure it out with the raw score?"
Proctor: "...what?"
Guy: (dismissively sucks teeth) "Ah, man..."
Last edited by Verity on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Haha as awkward as me standing in line with three Cooley hopefuls and a Cooley 1L? He was talking about how rough law school is (sometimes you have to read 80 pages for the next class!!! haha) and without thinking I said "Yea I just read somewhere that the average student at T10 studies 7 hours a day outside of class but I'm just gonna try not to think about that when I send out my apps." My internal dialogue was like Shit! You are not talking to TLSers here. Way to sound like "that girl". Excuuuuse me everybody, MAKE WAY FOR QUEEN DOUCHE

I had a TLSer vs. civilian moment myself. I was chatting with this guy in the check-in line and he goes:

"So which schools are you going to apply to, like... [names worst school in our region]"

I reply: "I'm thinking about... [rattle off a few T1s]"

The guy looks at the ground, I felt like a huge jerk. Then after a few more minutes he goes:

"How much did you study? I went down to the bookstore and bought a review book and leafed through the first two chapters. I figure I know what I need to know."

I reply: "Well I took the test once before so I guess you could say I've been studying for a year."

He goes: "I took a practice test the other day, I couldn't imagine doing any more, they suck. How many have you taken?"

"Um (blushing like crazy) I've taken 40 or so."

Guy just looks at the floor.

Cookies

Postby Cookies » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 pm

minnbills wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Haha as awkward as me standing in line with three Cooley hopefuls and a Cooley 1L? He was talking about how rough law school is (sometimes you have to read 80 pages for the next class!!! haha) and without thinking I said "Yea I just read somewhere that the average student at T10 studies 7 hours a day outside of class but I'm just gonna try not to think about that when I send out my apps." My internal dialogue was like Shit! You are not talking to TLSers here. Way to sound like "that girl". Excuuuuse me everybody, MAKE WAY FOR QUEEN DOUCHE

I had a TLSer vs. civilian moment myself. I was chatting with this guy in the check-in line and he goes:

"So which schools are you going to apply to, like... [names worst school in our region]"

The guy looks at the ground, I felt like a huge jerk. Then after a few more minutes he goes:

"How much did you study? I went down to the bookstore and bought a review book and leafed through the first two chapters. I figure I know what I need to know."

I reply: "Well I took the test once before so I guess you could say I've been studying for a year."

He goes: "I took a practice test the other day, I couldn't imagine doing any more, they suck. How many have you taken?"

Is it bad that I said 'Awww how cute'? That's seriously freakin' adorable. What a nice guy. Hopefully you've inspired him to reach to new heights!

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:34 pm

GeneralPeckem wrote:Girl #1 (from previous post, interjecting before proctor can respond): No, because there's no way to erase the ink.

Dude, you got trolled, it's obvious the proctor and the girl were practicing their Vaudeville routine before they take it out on the road. Pretty good, maybe tighten it up in the middle, but the last bit is killer.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:34 pm

minnbills wrote:

TLS: Born and bred for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT.

GeneralPeckem

Postby GeneralPeckem » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Cookies wrote:
GeneralPeckem wrote:Proctor: [Scratch paper not permitted on multiple choice...]
Guy #1 (aghast): Whoa, what?! You AREN'T going to give me scratch paper?
Proctor: repeats instructions and confirms no scratch paper
Guy #1 (exasperated): Not even a sheet? Not ONE sheet? Are you sure I can't have just a single sheet?
Proctor: Yes, I'm sure.
Guy #1 (enraged): slams pencil down in disgust
Proctor: resumes instructions

Girl #1 (hesitant): Wait a minute - so like - we can't make any marks in the test book then, right?
Girl #1 (confident): Oh, okay. So I can, like, cross off answer choices in the test book as long as I don't use it for scratch paper. Now I get it.
Girl #1 (baffled): Then why does it say I can't leave any stray marks?
Proctor: explains the difference between the answer sheet and test book
Girl #1 (inexorable confusion): So I have to erase everything but my answers from both the test book and answer sheet before time is called??
Proctor: motions to an assistant to attend to the girl personally

I burst out laughing in class... Curse you.

*dies again*

It was a riot. During the instructions, I kept glancing around; fortunately, I didn't make eye contact with anyone near me who found these exchanges as humorous as I did. If I had, knowing myself, I'd have begun laughing uncontrollably and surely would have been ejected from the testing center.

I last took the exam in February 2006 and retook it yesterday just for fun, to see if I could get a perfect score. I almost certainly did not (due to AR game #3), so I will cancel. Nevertheless, the past two weeks I spent preparing were not a total waste, if only due to the dialogue during the instructions.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:43 pm

stratocophic wrote:
minnbills wrote:

Haha that's never gonna die. We need TLS Tshirts with that slogan.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
minnbills wrote:

Haha that's never gonna die. We need TLS Tshirts with that slogan.

This is hilarious. I can't wait for this in October

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Cookies wrote:Is it bad that I said 'Awww how cute'? That's seriously freakin' adorable. What a nice guy. Hopefully you've inspired him to reach to new heights!

It's not bad. What's more likely though is that I just looked like a huge elitist.

I know, this site turns people into monsters.

zozin

Postby zozin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:54 pm

I actually made it a point not to talk to people, I wanted to stay focused. Some dude did show up with 2 unsharpened pencils and asked like 20 people if they had a pencil sharpener, he was lucky someone actually did.

GeneralPeckem

Postby GeneralPeckem » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:55 pm

suspicious android wrote:
GeneralPeckem wrote:Girl #1 (from previous post, interjecting before proctor can respond): No, because there's no way to erase the ink.

Dude, you got trolled, it's obvious the proctor and the girl were practicing their Vaudeville routine before they take it out on the road. Pretty good, maybe tighten it up in the middle, but the last bit is killer.

I digress, but girl #1 was dressed like she had just returned from a shopping spree on Rodeo Drive.

GeneralPeckem

Postby GeneralPeckem » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:11 pm

A girl seated to my left (not girl #1) was a train wreck. She required personal attention no less than three times. Each episode prompted an administrative delay of several minutes while one of the proctors provided assistance or further explanation of the instructions. The first instance occurred while signing the certification statement; the second instance occurred during instructions preceding the writing sample; and the third instance occurred following the announcement regarding score cancellation (when she presumably decided to cancel).

Despite her proximity, I did not overhear what was said. I would pay cash money for a transcript.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:49 pm

LOLOL <3 <3 <3 More like Queen Prepared for LS... :mrgreen: I sooo wish something more amusing had happened at my center!! But the only person I really interacted with was this super nice girl who had graduated in 09 and gotten her masters in Europe and was working and taking the LSAT for the first time. She seemed chill.

Though I was REALLY surprised by how many girls were completely dolled up for the test. Like, full on fake eyelashes, eye shadow, trendy hipster cutoff belly shirt with skinny jeans. Tons of girls were wearing heels/wedges, and a couple were in cute little sundresses. Guess that's what I get for taking it at USC. :lol: There were a couple girls in sweats (one in a hot pink velour tracksuit that was way too small and a terrible fake tan LOL). I just dressed normally, jeans, shirt, jacket.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:59 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

LOLOL <3 <3 <3 More like Queen Prepared for LS... :mrgreen: I sooo wish something more amusing had happened at my center!! But the only person I really interacted with was this super nice girl who had graduated in 09 and gotten her masters in Europe and was working and taking the LSAT for the first time. She seemed chill.

Though I was REALLY surprised by how many girls were completely dolled up for the test. Like, full on fake eyelashes, eye shadow, trendy hipster cutoff belly shirt with skinny jeans. Tons of girls were wearing heels/wedges, and a couple were in cute little sundresses. Guess that's what I get for taking it at USC. :lol: There were a couple girls in sweats (one in a hot pink velour tracksuit that was way too small and a terrible fake tan LOL). I just dressed normally, jeans, shirt, jacket.

Woah that's way more than I do for going out. Well, I never really do go out anymore so I guess that's a moot point. I rocked converse and ripped jeans with a ponytail and chapstick. Hot. I went in not minding chatting cause I knew I was going to cancel, but in Oct I will most likely be wishing to talk to nobody and have absolutely nothing interesting to add to this thread!

OV2MI

Ann Arbor

Postby OV2MI » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:03 pm

I took my test in Ann Arbor. I had heard that sometimes Princeton and Kaplan will send their employees in to take the test...with that in mind

a guy asked me (while in line).."so what strategy do you use for those..what are they called?"

ME "Test questions?"

GUY "no, the ones with like sally, jessica, and becky" (all white girl names and he was black..not that it matters, just sounded funny)

ME "Analytical Reasoning...it depends on the type of game"

GUY "No, definitely not analytical, the games one! Logic Games" :shock:

Conversation ended as I walked into the "auditorium". I really doubt he was serious. He had to be one of their employees who was trying to gather information from other test takers. But who knows, after reading this, it is very obvious that people take this test with no preparation.

6thbackstreetboy

Postby 6thbackstreetboy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Not joking this shocking exchange actually happened yesterday:

random girl: "So they do the same test every time right?"

me: "huh?"

random girl: "Like they don't change any of the questions for each test, so its the same one as last year?"

me: Blank stare

Hunterrhoid

Postby Hunterrhoid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Somebody get that man through the bar so I can hire him as my attorney. I want to go out in flames.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”