Overheard at the LSAT

maxpower430

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby maxpower430 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:53 am

at mine, the proctors all didn't show up until like 12:30 and then took a while to divide everyone up and then they let people in late (and i mean they were already like an hour behind schedule, how late are these people lol) so we didn't start until around 2:30. also there was a huge debacle with the test code since none of the proctors read the procedure for it i guess. besides that though everyone seemed relatively well prepared (i.e. discussing the bibles etc) though one of the kids near me left halfway through the second section.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:59 am

I was talking to a sweet middle-aged fellow at yesterday's LSAT who was retaking a 135 which he scored cold the first time around. He just signed up for it on a whim and said he didn't think he needed to study then because he was a criminal justice/legal studies (something like that) major with work experience in that area and thought he'd do just fine without any prep whatsoever. :shock: He dreams of going to Penn, but will also apply to the rest of the Philly area schools once he gets his second score back.

Makes me feel sort of ridiculous for crying over my 164. :roll:

androidhu

Postby androidhu » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:05 am

PSUdevon wrote:The best exchange came between a kid I went through Testmasters with and the lead proctor, who looked like a 16-year old and had a voice that cracked occasionally.

Talking about the Test form code:

"Is the second digit a zero or the letter O?"
"I don't know, you tell me."
"Aren't you supposed to be the one telling us?"

At which point everyone bursts out laughing. Then another proctor, who looked exactly like Rampage Jackson, took over.

did you take the exam in long island by any chance? just wondering.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:06 am

androidhu wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:The best exchange came between a kid I went through Testmasters with and the lead proctor, who looked like a 16-year old and had a voice that cracked occasionally.

At which point everyone bursts out laughing. Then another proctor, who looked exactly like Rampage Jackson, took over.

At the Hyatt in Hauppauge. And bro, it's "on Long Island," not "in Long Island."

androidhu

Postby androidhu » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:16 am

PSUdevon wrote:
androidhu wrote:

At the Hyatt in Hauppauge. And bro, it's "on Long Island," not "in Long Island."

Oops, my bad. (excuse my poor english. im a non-native speakerT.T)
hahaha I was in the same room with you. it was epic.

raj

Postby raj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 am

Girl: As long as I get over a 140 I'll be okay. You know, like when we're interviewing for jobs in the future, they ain't gonna care whether you're from Harvard or some low school. It doesn't make a difference! All those smart ass people going to Harvard and shit, they just wanna do research in libraries, not practice law. If I wanted to do research for the rest of my life, I'd be someone's assistant, not go to law school.

No one really said anything. I'm sure we were all just basking in the glory of knowing that it doesn't matter if you go to Harvard or some fourth tier school. :)

Peg

Postby Peg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 am

Omega10 wrote:Dude: "So uh, what kind of law are you interested in?"
Girl: "I've been thinking tax law, which is what my dad does. Plus thats where the money is."
Dude: "Oh yeah, I'm definitely all about the money at this point. I put in my time as a firefighter for like 15 years, and its time to make real money for once."
Girl: "Really? Firefighting sounds cool."
Dude: "Yeah its a pretty sweet job, but I want that cush salary, ya know? So I'm taking the LSAT and MCAT just to see what happens. I think I could make bank as a plastic surgeon so I'd rather do med school, but I figure it can't hurt to give the law thing a shot. Plus this test sounds easier, with no science or anything. Did you study much?"
Girl: "Yeah I did a prep course actually."
Dude: "Nice, I lucked out sittin next to you then-- haha, kidding! Seriously though, I was at Barnes and Noble on Monday and thought about picking up an LSAT study thing. But I was like, really, what's the point?"
Girl: "Oh yeah, I know what you mean..."
Dude: "So how many math sections are on here?"

I read all the stories that came after this one, and this one still gave me more lawls. (It was close though.) Why did I never have these people at my test center?

downing

Postby downing » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:34 am

Reading all these insane stories about crazy and under informed LSAT takers makes me feel warm and fuzzy. My ego is already on its way back to its bygone path of glory. Oh wait, the voices in my head saying I suck for scoring below my pt range just returned. Carry on.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:13 pm

There was a jerk sitting in the middle of the room who, in every section with three to four minutes left, slammed his pencil on the table, exhaled loudly, and started cracking his knuckles, as if to announce to the whole room he was done. During break, he boasted about how he knew an LG section was experimental because it had an unusually tough game. Just before the writing section, he hollered at his friends leaving the center (apparently they decided to cancel) and motioned them to call him afterwards.

Loser. :roll:

According to some of my more cynical law student friends, law schools are full of idiots like him.

Oh, and there was this girl who brought a loud electric pencil sharpener of all things. Fortunately, the proctor immediately put her in her place and told her not to use it after the test began.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Our room spent probably 15+ minutes discussing if our Test Form Code started with "A0" or "AO" and whether it was appropriate to leave one alpha column blank. Our proctor ended up saying "Just do whatever you feel like!" as we stared at him blankly and visions of our tests being delayed 3 weeks more danced in our heads.

I think most people ended up doing BlankA0###### or whatever. IDK. It was just lulzy and frustrating that we spent almost 20 minutes discussing it.

bball1997

Postby bball1997 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:45 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Our room spent probably 15+ minutes discussing if our Test Form Code started with "A0" or "AO" and whether it was appropriate to leave one alpha column blank. Our proctor ended up saying "Just do whatever you feel like!" as we stared at him blankly and visions of our tests being delayed 3 weeks more danced in our heads.

I think most people ended up doing BlankA0###### or whatever. IDK. It was just lulzy and frustrating that we spent almost 20 minutes discussing it.

According to my proctor this is correct. Who knows though, maybe she was just bs'ing...

ttf1867

Postby ttf1867 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:48 pm

bball1997 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Our room spent probably 15+ minutes discussing if our Test Form Code started with "A0" or "AO" and whether it was appropriate to leave one alpha column blank. Our proctor ended up saying "Just do whatever you feel like!" as we stared at him blankly and visions of our tests being delayed 3 weeks more danced in our heads.

According to my proctor this is correct. Who knows though, maybe she was just bs'ing...

One of my proctors had the wherewithal to actually call LSAC and ask, and this is indeed the correct way.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:50 pm

ttf1867 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:BlankA0######
this is indeed the correct way

Yay! :)
Last edited by soj on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:50 pm

ttf1867 wrote:
bball1997 wrote:

One of my proctors had the wherewithal to actually call LSAC and ask, and this is indeed the correct way.

now that seems like a good proctor :D

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:52 pm

ttf1867 wrote:One of my proctors had the wherewithal to actually call LSAC and ask, and this is indeed the correct way.

Sweet, no testing delays. :mrgreen: GOD I hope that they get back to us quickly. GAHHH.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 pm

This is my absolute favorite thread :)

But what's all this talk about a picture? I took the test twice (Oct/Dec '10), and I definitely don't remember anything about having to bring a picture (apart from the usual photo ID)... is this a new thing?

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:11 pm

amorfati wrote:This is my absolute favorite thread :)

But what's all this talk about a picture? I took the test twice (Oct/Dec '10), and I definitely don't remember anything about having to bring a picture (apart from the usual photo ID)... is this a new thing?

new implementation

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:43 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:
amorfati wrote:This is my absolute favorite thread :)

new implementation

My understanding is that this has been the practice at centers outside the US for some time - at least since I took it last October.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:44 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
ttf1867 wrote:One of my proctors had the wherewithal to actually call LSAC and ask, and this is indeed the correct way.

Sweet, no testing delays. :mrgreen: GOD I hope that they get back to us quickly. GAHHH.

I had to erase that thing and move everything over, since I only had one letter... I'm half expecting a delay because I couldn't completely erase the older one.

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:46 pm

minnbills wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I had to erase that thing and move everything over, since I only had one letter... I'm half expecting a delay because I couldn't completely erase the older one.

no joke, within the span of 5 minutes my proctor changed her mind 3 times, i have no idea how they'll deal with it lol

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:32 pm

ttf1867 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
ttf1867 wrote:Overheard at the table next to me, during break:

Guy: "So, where does everyone want to go?"
Guy: "I don't know... Florida, Florida State maybe?"
Girl: "I want to go to [drumroll please] Florida Coastal. So I need to do real good today.
Guy 2: "Oh yeah?"
Girl: "Yeah, I'd say I need to get at least in the 130s, maybe even a 140."

Additional info: This gem strolled into the test center a full 15 seconds before testing began. Amazingly, the proctor allowed her to come in and we all stared in awe while she set what surely must be the world record for longest amount of time ever taken in LSAT history to copy the certifying statement. Her ill-fitting velour jumpsuit was also breath-taking. Oh and then she erased about half of her writing section and rewrote it. I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

the end.

Was she hot?

No. No she was not. I meant "couldn't take my eyes off of her" more in the trainwreck/roadkill sense, than the hot sense.

your avatar is awe sum. i'm assuming you loved the rc section?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:55 pm

soj wrote:There was a jerk sitting in the middle of the room who, in every section with three to four minutes left, slammed his pencil on the table, exhaled loudly, and started cracking his knuckles, as if to announce to the whole room he was done. During break, he boasted about how he knew an LG section was experimental because it had an unusually tough game. Just before the writing section, he hollered at his friends leaving the center (apparently they decided to cancel) and motioned them to call him afterwards.

Loser. :roll:

According to some of my more cynical law student friends, law schools are full of idiots like him.

Oh, and there was this girl who brought a loud electric pencil sharpener of all things. Fortunately, the proctor immediately put her in her place and told her not to use it after the test began.

Haha that's great Soj. I can't imagine someone trying to show off how awesome they are to you of all people :). You should've shouted "I'm SOJ in the TLS forum and I'm PRETTY FAMOUS IN THE JUNE GROUP!!!"

and Crumpets I feel your pain. We were definitely in the same room if in addition to the "A space" problem she called "5 minutes remain" *mass panic and scribbling* One minute later: "Ohh, errr...nine minutes remains"

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:and Crumpets I feel your pain. We were definitely in the same room if in addition to the "A space" problem she called "5 minutes remain" *mass panic and scribbling* One minute later: "Ohh, errr...nine minutes remains"

Hahha unfortunately no, that did not happen. We switched proctors somewhere during the test and it was an asian lady instead of the original old fat dude who gave us trouble with the A0 stuff. I wish my room had been more amusing, the only other funny thing was some aspie kid sitting next to me who asked 29348234832 questions x_X He's the one who started the whole A0/AO debate, and he kept chuckling under his breath really loudly and making super loud and awkward comments to himself about it.

Oh, and he also only brought 1 pencil. e_e When he saw I brought like 7, he was like "Oh wow you are so much more prepared than me..." It was awkward.

GeneralPeckem

Postby GeneralPeckem » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Proctor: [Scratch paper not permitted on multiple choice...]
Guy #1 (aghast): Whoa, what?! You AREN'T going to give me scratch paper?
Proctor: repeats instructions and confirms no scratch paper
Guy #1 (exasperated): Not even a sheet? Not ONE sheet? Are you sure I can't have just a single sheet?
Proctor: Yes, I'm sure.
Guy #1 (enraged): slams pencil down in disgust
Proctor: resumes instructions

Girl #1 (hesitant): Wait a minute - so like - we can't make any marks in the test book then, right?
Proctor: corrects the misunderstanding
Girl #1 (confident): Oh, okay. So I can, like, cross off answer choices in the test book as long as I don't use it for scratch paper. Now I get it.
Proctor: corrects the misunderstanding
Girl #1 (baffled): Then why does it say I can't leave any stray marks?
Proctor: explains the difference between the answer sheet and test book
Girl #1 (inexorable confusion): So I have to erase everything but my answers from both the test book and answer sheet before time is called??
Proctor: motions to an assistant to attend to the girl personally

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:25 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:and Crumpets I feel your pain. We were definitely in the same room if in addition to the "A space" problem she called "5 minutes remain" *mass panic and scribbling* One minute later: "Ohh, errr...nine minutes remains"

Hahha unfortunately no, that did not happen. We switched proctors somewhere during the test and it was an asian lady instead of the original old fat dude who gave us trouble with the A0 stuff. I wish my room had been more amusing, the only other funny thing was some aspie kid sitting next to me who asked 29348234832 questions x_X He's the one who started the whole A0/AO debate, and he kept chuckling under his breath really loudly and making super loud and awkward comments to himself about it.

Oh, and he also only brought 1 pencil. e_e When he saw I brought like 7, he was like "Oh wow you are so much more prepared than me..." It was awkward.

The proctors in my room had a ziploc full of extra pencils and offered them to everybody. I don't think anybody took one though.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”