Overheard at the LSAT

kwais

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby kwais » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:30 pm

weathercoins wrote:
jortiz682 wrote:People behind me in line: "Yeah I took it last February" "Oh yeah me too how'd you do?" "134" "Yeah I got a 138 but I didn't study."

It's interesting. Even though the 134 and 138 seems so ridiculous to many of us, the same number of people get those as people that get like in the upper 160's (top 4% vs. top 96%.) It's just weird because I know a few people that have gotten upper 140's, but never really met anyone in the 130's. I def. know more people that have cracked 167 than people that have gotten in the 140's... anyone here know any 130ers or low 140ers?

absolutely. I teach and meet them all the time. Much more often than the high 160s. TLS is a bubble

platitude

Postby platitude » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:31 pm

Darko86 wrote::) Took it at LSU? Yup, the license bit was great. Glad to see there is someone else from the area on here.

I hesitated before posting because I realized anyone who was there would have to know I was talking about our room. Then I reasoned that it would be a disservice to the community not to share. :)

glewz

Postby glewz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:33 pm

platitude wrote:
Darko86 wrote::) Took it at LSU? Yup, the license bit was great. Glad to see there is someone else from the area on here.

I hesitated before posting because I realized anyone who was there would have to know I was talking about our room. Then I reasoned that it would be a disservice to the community not to share. :)

You exercised good reasoning :)

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:33 pm

I didn't exactly overhear anything, but I did walk up to some at break and tell them to drop out. Crowd my elevators will you? Bah!

ttf1867

Postby ttf1867 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Overheard at the table next to me, during break:

Guy: "So, where does everyone want to go?"
Guy: "I don't know... Florida, Florida State maybe?"
Girl: "I want to go to [drumroll please] Florida Coastal. So I need to do real good today.
Guy 2: "Oh yeah?"
Girl: "Yeah, I'd say I need to get at least in the 130s, maybe even a 140."

Additional info: This gem strolled into the test center a full 15 seconds before testing began. Amazingly, the proctor allowed her to come in and we all stared in awe while she set what surely must be the world record for longest amount of time ever taken in LSAT history to copy the certifying statement. Her ill-fitting velour jumpsuit was also breath-taking. Oh and then she erased about half of her writing section and rewrote it. I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

the end.

Swinestein

Postby Swinestein » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:01 pm

Girl: "Do you think they'll take online degrees seriously?"
Guy: "Well it's not as good as, like, Harvard or Yale."

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 pm

coldshoulder wrote:The entire room waited about 15 minutes for one guy to write out that paragraph on the back of the answer sheet. He was this hipster-looking douchebag with slicked hair. We all kept looking back at him, like, wtf asshole?

Also, had a guy tell me that he was "aiming for a great school like Cooley."
Facepalm.

Woah. :shock: All the people around me were talking about getting into Cooley and there was a Cooley 1L (do I really have to call them that?) who was talking to a girl about how hard law school is: "I mean, most days are chill but then there are the days where they'll be like, 'Hey read these 80 pages before next class' I mean it gets hectic." Girl: "Woah, yeah."

Annnd this wasn't at the LSAT but my boyfriend ran into a pretentious kid we went to high school with. I guess the kids was bursting with barely controlled glee to advertise that he's going to law school. My boyfriend says, "Oh you don't say, Eich is going to law school too. Where'd you apply?" "Oh, I applied to NYU and Michigan State and stuff. I'm gonna go to MSU cause it's a top school." :roll:

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:59 pm

It seriously blows my mind how many people don't research life altering decisions when the internet and its virtually unlimited supply of information is right at their fingertips.

plugkev

Postby plugkev » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:21 am

gens1tb wrote:It seriously blows my mind how many people don't research life altering decisions when the internet and its virtually unlimited supply of information is right at their fingertips.

It seriously blows my mind that in a room of 14 at least 6 people had already signed their admission ticket upon arrival.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:22 am

plugkev wrote:
gens1tb wrote:It seriously blows my mind how many people don't research life altering decisions when the internet and its virtually unlimited supply of information is right at their fingertips.

It seriously blows my mind that in a room of 14 at least 6 people had already signed their admission ticket upon arrival.

I don't think people know how to read...

chompchomp

Postby chompchomp » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:23 am

There was group claiming Texas Tech was the Harvard of the South.....

1) Absolutely not
2) I didn't even know it existed

Bashy

Postby Bashy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:23 am

plugkev wrote:

This.

Also, as an aside, one girl in the check-in line next to mine had actually detached her stub BEFORE coming to the test and she LOST it. Proctors let her in and told her to write down her info from her ticket (on what?).

Probably should read the admission ticket before doing stuff to it. Just sayin'.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:25 am

The best exchange came between a kid I went through Testmasters with and the lead proctor, who looked like a 16-year old and had a voice that cracked occasionally.

Talking about the Test form code:

"Is the second digit a zero or the letter O?"
"I don't know, you tell me."
"Aren't you supposed to be the one telling us?"

At which point everyone bursts out laughing. Then another proctor, who looked exactly like Rampage Jackson, took over.

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:53 am

Bashy wrote:
plugkev wrote:

This.

Also, as an aside, one girl in the check-in line next to mine had actually detached her stub BEFORE coming to the test and she LOST it. Proctors let her in and told her to write down her info from her ticket (on what?).

Probably should read the admission ticket before doing stuff to it. Just sayin'.

The first time I took the LSAT I totally did that. Except I left the stub in my car or at home or something. I then tried to write my info on a tissue paper (w/ a pencil), then on the label of my water bottle. The very nice proctor lady then tore off a piece of paper to let me write my info down. Good times.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:39 am

plugkev wrote:

look man
there's an entire page of instructions
you can't expect me to read all of that!
the print is so small
I took the SAT, I know how to take standardized tests

Cavgirl

Postby Cavgirl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:47 am

citykitty wrote:
platitude wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:I mean, if they're going to let her do that...why not just tape the whole license?

It was the proctor's idea. I thought he was joking. Apparently not.

I assume they wanted to cut it because the ticket specifies that the photo has to fit inside the box, plus they had scissors with them.

I don't get the big deal. If the photo from the license is larger than 1x1" and smaller than 2x2", then it seems like a great idea to me. Better than the poor sap who got turned away from my testing center. I'd rather cut up my license than wait until October, if it were me in that situation.

Had two ppl show upwith no photo. One left in tears. Felt bad for the guy but how hard is it to follow instructions???

LSATPREPPER

Postby LSATPREPPER » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:51 am

Ahhhh this thread has made me feel so much better.

Not much to report from my administration.

Someone asked me where I got my ticket: Told him it is either mailed to you or you can get it online. His reaction was shock and he went off to find his ticket.
My room brawled with the proctor in the beginning because she was emphatic that we put the test center code in the test book section of the answer sheet.
My secondary proctor was a younger gentlemen who told us during the break that he couldn't wait to play xbox once the administration was over and interestingly, "If we make a mistake proctoring the test we don't get paid."

jeninamillion

Postby jeninamillion » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:01 am

This is just my general ranting about my proctor's incompetence:
1. She called time 5 minutes early, as in she made us put our pencils down. Her supervisor luckily caught it and told us we had another minute and half left...
2. She couldn't read. "Please blanken the bubbles fully." "Please refran from working after I call time."

Where do they get these people?!

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:27 am

jeninamillion wrote:This is just my general ranting about my proctor's incompetence:
1. She called time 5 minutes early, as in she made us put our pencils down. Her supervisor luckily caught it and told us we had another minute and half left...
2. She couldn't read. "Please blanken the bubbles fully." "Please refran from working after I call time."

OCI

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:45 am

ttf1867 wrote:Overheard at the table next to me, during break:

Girl: "I want to go to [drumroll please] Florida Coastal. So I need to do real good today.

Additional info: This gem strolled into the test center a full 15 seconds before testing began. Amazingly, the proctor allowed her to come in and we all stared in awe while she set what surely must be the world record for longest amount of time ever taken in LSAT history to copy the certifying statement. Her ill-fitting velour jumpsuit was also breath-taking. Oh and then she erased about half of her writing section and rewrote it. I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

the end.

Was she hot?

HBK

Postby HBK » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:46 am

GATORTIM wrote:
jeninamillion wrote:This is just my general ranting about my proctor's incompetence:

OCI

At least at my exam, they were from the local community college.

pkrtbx

Postby pkrtbx » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:50 am

I wish there had been drama at my testing center, I think it would have calmed my nerves a bit. I have to say, when they gave the last chance to cancel your score before collecting the answer sheets I scanned the room like a hawk, but no one took the bait.

There was an annoying douche at the end of my row talking to his seatmate before the test about how "anyone who doesn't use our [Kaplan] method for LG better really know what they are looking for..."

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:33 am

I had four people get up and leave (and cancel) when they offered before the writing section. I almost did just to get out of there, knowing I had fucked up the RC. Definitely saw a girl crying on the way out, and a bunch of people saying "there weren't even correct answers to some of those."

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:40 am

kwais wrote:
weathercoins wrote:
jortiz682 wrote:People behind me in line: "Yeah I took it last February" "Oh yeah me too how'd you do?" "134" "Yeah I got a 138 but I didn't study."

It's interesting. Even though the 134 and 138 seems so ridiculous to many of us, the same number of people get those as people that get like in the upper 160's (top 4% vs. top 96%.) It's just weird because I know a few people that have gotten upper 140's, but never really met anyone in the 130's. I def. know more people that have cracked 167 than people that have gotten in the 140's... anyone here know any 130ers or low 140ers?

absolutely. I teach and meet them all the time. Much more often than the high 160s. TLS is a bubble

As an LSAT tutor, most of my students never score above a 160 even after months of study. Some even never break the 140. TLS is definitely not representative of the general population and there is a sizable number of people who couldn't score a 160 even if their lives depended on it.

ttf1867

Postby ttf1867 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:51 am

dpk711 wrote:
ttf1867 wrote:Overheard at the table next to me, during break:

the end.

Was she hot?

No. No she was not. I meant "couldn't take my eyes off of her" more in the trainwreck/roadkill sense, than the hot sense.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”