Overheard at the LSAT

NJcollegestudent

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:42 pm

Adjudicator wrote:It is ironic that we are called elitists for actually working hard to prepare, but the people who just show up thinking that they are entitled to succeed are not?

Am I going to be an elitist when I study harder than others in law school, too?

Or when I work harder as a lawyer?

This response is not directed at you in specific, however, i can understand why people are upset. The point is getting a 170+ does not make one an elitist, rather it is bashing those who get below a 160. I was in between a 153-161 on my PT's. I prepared for this exam for about four months, and did not think it was a formality, however, i do not expect a 170. Getting a 150 is not really the end of the world, as it still goes to show that you did better than 50 to 60 percent of test takers.

The other point why people are upset is the sheer weight of this exam in determining your admissions. I understand it is a good predictor, and i do not doubt that, however, it does not mean that someone who kept a 4.0 in college and got a 160 is less qualified than the 170 and 2.5 gpa person. The fact that law school admissions is quite impersonal at best, as you literally are some numbers to a school speaks to the frustration that people have.

That also is not to say those who have a 170 or even got a 180 should feel bad, in fact, to get a score like that is nothing short of amazing, and speaks to their ability to do well as well.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Laughing at someone b.c. their goal score is a 155 b.c. that's what the law school they want to go to looks for is elitist.

Laughing about something like this.........

longdaysjourney wrote:Overheard during the break...

Girl 1: "Oh....my...GOOOODDD. I didn't know youuuuu were taking the LSAT?!?!?!?"
Girl 2: "Oh my God, girl. We are so hot right now. We're like hot lawyers"
Girl 1: "Oh I know...I think about that all the time."
Girl 2: "So how did the first half go?"
Girl 1: "I don't know..did you study."
Girl 2: "Pssstt....no, that's gay."
Girl 1: "I know, right???"

...only at the University of Kentucky

.....is not elitist.

Now back to the funny stories.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:44 pm

granger wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:It is ironic that we are called elitists for actually working hard to prepare, but the people who just show up thinking that they are entitled to succeed are not?

What's so special about you? You studied harder than others for a standardized test? Great. Does that warrant making fun of people? Stop being so proud of yourself. You haven't accomplished anything. You want to be a lawyer and you studied hard for the LSAT. Do you need to congregate on a message board and make fun of others because they didn't study as hard? How pathetic of them! Must go post this on TLS!

I guarantee 99% of the people in this thread wouldn't be comfortable sounding like such arrogant shits in real life.

Dude, take the stick out of your ass. We're having fun. We've all poured a lot of time and effort into this test, and if we want to share a laugh over some randoms who made dumb comments... then we're going to do just that. I hate to sound cliche, but if you don't want to hear it, leave. We'll do our best to carry on in your absence.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:44 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:Laughing at someone b.c. their goal score is a 155 b.c. that's what the law school they want to go to looks for is elitist.

Girl 1: "Oh....my...GOOOODDD. I didn't know youuuuu were taking the LSAT?!?!?!?"

.....is not elitist.

Amen.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:44 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:Laughing at someone b.c. their goal score is a 155 b.c. that's what the law school they want to go to looks for is elitist.

.....is not elitist.

totally agree! hence why I could make fun of even myself up there lol

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:45 pm

beachbum wrote:
granger wrote:

What's so special about you? You studied harder than others for a standardized test? Great. Does that warrant making fun of people? Stop being so proud of yourself. You haven't accomplished anything. You want to be a lawyer and you studied hard for the LSAT. Do you need to congregate on a message board and make fun of others because they didn't study as hard? How pathetic of them! Must go post this on TLS!

I guarantee 99% of the people in this thread wouldn't be comfortable sounding like such arrogant shits in real life.

Dude, take the stick out of your ass. We're having fun. We've all poured a lot of time and effort into this test, and if we want to share a laugh over some randoms who made dumb comments... then we're going to do just that. I hate to sound cliche, but if you don't want to hear it, leave. We'll do our best to carry on in your absence.

Yes.

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:45 pm

I got to my center really early because I had never been there and was nervous about getting lost. I walked into the building and the hallway was lined with high school kids waiting to take the SAT. I sat outside of the LSAT classroom and read the paper. Most of the students had filed into the room and the proctors were getting ready to close the door when this 40ish year old guy comes running up the stairs with his entrance ticket in hand. I figured he was there for the LSAT, but he was there for the SAT. The guy was HAMMERED drunk and had no form of id on him. The proctors wouldn't let him in without an ID and kept telling proctors he would lose his scholarship if he didn't take the test and that he was pulled over for speeding on the way there, but was let off when he told the cop where he was going and only had to tell the cop his license number. After 5 minutes of arguing the guy turned around and left.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:46 pm

Somebody who prepares for months and scores 160 is NOT uninformed.
Somebody who comes into the test without knowing what they're doing and thinking that 140 is the score they want to be "that one dude on that TV show" IS uninformed.

In some instances, people have no access to certain information, but when it's there, why would you NOT seek it out?

Uninformed decision-making is key to logically unsound behavior, and that leads to who knows what, depending on the context. Condoning such behavior or allowing for it just lets people keep repeating their mistakes.

EDIT: In fact, if one of these airheads comes through with a 180 and gets into Harvard, there's nothing I can do except laugh. It's up to them to get into gear and make it through the meatgrinder, eventually. At least the people who realistically expect something around 160 I expect will know what kind of experience they are in for, something I can't say about the other guy.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:49 pm

It would be elitist if only certain people had access to good information, or the best prep materials. But everyone has equal access to those things. The difference is in how aggressively they seek it out and apply it. There's no elitism possible here.

I have little sympathy for people who just showed up at the test without knowing anything about it.

granger

Postby granger » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:50 pm

incompetentia wrote:Somebody who prepares for months and scores 160 is NOT uninformed.
Somebody who comes into the test without knowing what they're doing and thinking that 140 is the score they want to be "that one dude on that TV show" IS uninformed.

In some instances, people have no access to certain information, but when it's there, why would you NOT seek it out?

Uninformed decision-making is key to logically unsound behavior, and that leads to who knows what, depending on the context. Condoning such behavior or allowing for it just lets people keep repeating their mistakes.

This was painful to read. I need to lighten up? Jesus shit, we're talking about someone not being ready for a freaking test. Who asked you to condone their behavior? Who asked you to give two shits about their mistakes? You act like you're doing important social work by making fun of people you don't know.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Adjudicator wrote:I won't make fun of people who just aren't bright enough for this. I feel bad for those people.

But I have no problem making fun of the people who just fail to make any effort to prepare.

This.

If some kid is there who knows he's not cut out for law school, but whose parents are pressuring him to take the LSAT, and he does the best he can and even studied a bit, and he gets a 145 on the test, that's not funny at all. I feel awful for him (and angry at his parents).

Some girl who really wants to be a lawyer and has spent six months preparing for the LSAT with courses and PTs and still can't get her score above a 150 isn't mock-worthy. She probably shouldn't go to law school, but it's sad because she's likely not going to achieve her dream.

Someone who doesn't even read the page of instructions that comes with your ticket that says NO MECHANICAL PENCILS, NO CELL PHONES, etc. is a moron, even if they have an IQ of 175.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:51 pm

eh, there might be some areas where the LSAT have-nots are more savvy than those on this board. but, i mean, this is a top law school board, so it's to expect that people are finding humor in the lack of lsat knowledge others display. and let's not also forget some people derive their self worth based on what others lack. nothing wrong with that, necessarily, it's just the way it is.

i overheard someone say they were prepared for the test because they worked in a law firm. i actually feel like the majority of ppl I overheard in line (a very long line) said something about working in a law firm as if that made them somehow more qualified to take the test.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Adjudicator wrote:It would be elitist if only certain people had access to good information, or the best prep materials. But everyone has equal access to those things. The difference is in how aggressively they seek it out and apply it. There's no elitism possible here.

I lol'd at the sheer ignorance and naivete.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:52 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:The guy next to me: "So, yea, I took the test before and I was pissed because I didn't score anywhere near my highest practice tests. I studied for a few months, took a Kaplan test, and I even came to this room and took PTs on Saturdays before the test under real conditions. I worked my ass off and I scored way below my top practice test score...so I decided to retake. But I've really worked my ass off this time...I took another Kaplan class too. I'm going to kick some ass today."

Me: "That sucks, what was the score that you were shooting for on your first attempt."

Guy next to me: "150-155"

Maybe he has a 4.0 in Accounting or Physics from Stanford, has a really good job, and only wants to go to Loyola Law School PT. Or maybe he has a learning disability, which would mean that his 155 is like a 175 for us (setting aside the Stanford scenario). Who knows? Everyone's situation is different.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:52 pm

Adjudicator wrote:It would be elitist if only certain people had access to good information, or the best prep materials. But everyone has equal access to those things. The difference is in how aggressively they seek it out and apply it. There's no elitism possible here.

I have little sympathy for people who just showed up at the test without knowing anything about it.

I would not say that is true. Preparing for the exam is expensive if you take courses, and can run in the thousands.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:55 pm

Adjudicator wrote:It would be elitist if only certain people had access to good information, or the best prep materials. But everyone has equal access to those things.

have to wholeheartedly disagree with you there...

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:56 pm

granger wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Somebody who prepares for months and scores 160 is NOT uninformed.

This was painful to read. I need to lighten up? Jesus shit, we're talking about someone not being ready for a freaking test. Who asked you to condone their behavior? Who asked you to give two shits about their mistakes? You act like you're doing important social work by making fun of people you don't know.

No one asked. But no one asked you to comment on our comments either. If you don't like this thread then just LEAVE. Jesus.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:56 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:

I would not say that is true. Preparing for the exam is expensive if you take courses, and can run in the thousands.

Courses aren't necessary though. I'm not even convinced that they help much at all.

I was PTing in 175-180 range and I was doing self-study only.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:57 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:

Eh. I think I did more with self-study than I did with the prep company I used. They were absolutely worthless.
Last edited by Gemini on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:57 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:It would be elitist if only certain people had access to good information, or the best prep materials. But everyone has equal access to those things.

have to wholeheartedly disagree with you there...

yeah, that's just blatantly wrong.

does anyone have any funny proctor stories? mine was crackin jokes like he was gettin' paid for laughs. it took the edge of but it was also like, wtf...

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:I won't make fun of people who just aren't bright enough for this. I feel bad for those people.

But I have no problem making fun of the people who just fail to make any effort to prepare.

This.

If some kid is there who knows he's not cut out for law school, but whose parents are pressuring him to take the LSAT, and he does the best he can and even studied a bit, and he gets a 145 on the test, that's not funny at all. I feel awful for him (and angry at his parents).

Some girl who really wants to be a lawyer and has spent six months preparing for the LSAT with courses and PTs and still can't get her score above a 150 isn't mock-worthy. She probably shouldn't go to law school, but it's sad because she's likely not going to achieve her dream.

Someone who doesn't even read the page of instructions that comes with your ticket that says NO MECHANICAL PENCILS, NO CELL PHONES, etc. is a moron, even if they have an IQ of 175.

Plenty of people who scored below 150 on the LSAT are not only lawyers, but are thriving in the profession! Some went to top law schools and some did not. So, the notion that someone who scores lower on the lSAT isn't qualified to be a lawyer is just nonsense. There are Harvard students who aren't qualified and CAl Western grads who are. Tough to conceptualize, and even tougher to accept, but it's true.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:58 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:Preparing for the exam is expensive if you take courses, and can run in the thousands.

Fair enough. However, I was able to work myself up in 4 weeks using roughly $100 worth of books and loose practice tests. It's possible to improve your score 15+ points with self-study, as should be evident by the prep thread for this last test.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
granger wrote:

No one asked. But no one asked you to comment on our comments either. If you don't like this thread then just LEAVE. Jesus.

+1. Go back to whatever fun-sucking activities you were involved with before you decided to grace us with your presence.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:59 pm

Aww, this was a funny thread.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:59 pm

PDaddy wrote:Plenty of people who scored below 150 on the LSAT are not only lawyers, but are thriving in the profession! Some went to top law schools and some did not. So, the notion that someone who scores lower on the lSAT isn't qualified to be a lawyer is just nonsense. There are Harvard students who aren't qualified and CAl Western grads who are. Tough to conceptualize, and even tougher to accept, but it's true.

True but not representative. There are always counterexamples.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”