Overheard at the LSAT

jdl239

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby jdl239 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:50 pm

francisConn wrote:
afc1910 wrote:the guy I was talking to while smoking during our break said: "i'm gonna need to take a massive dump when I get out of here with all the red bull and nicotine i've been ingesting." men are so charming!

also, when I was taking the June LSAT i sat next to a fifty-something construction worker, who decided to take the test "just to see what it's all about". when we sat down after checking in, he said: "so what are we being tested on? is there a math section?" he then proceeded to sneak strawberries from under the table during the entire first section. good times.

The best.

I have always wondered if maybe LSAC hired douche bags like this to come take the test and throw a curveball to everyone. Both times I have taken it there has been a 50+ yr old man taking the test just to see what it was about. And both times they were distracting as hell. Almost as if they were doing it on purpose just to fuck with people.

jpwindsurfer

Postby jpwindsurfer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:11 am

francisConn wrote:
afc1910 wrote:the guy I was talking to while smoking during our break said: "i'm gonna need to take a massive dump when I get out of here with all the red bull and nicotine i've been ingesting." men are so charming!

also, when I was taking the June LSAT i sat next to a fifty-something construction worker, who decided to take the test "just to see what it's all about". when we sat down after checking in, he said: "so what are we being tested on? is there a math section?" he then proceeded to sneak strawberries from under the table during the entire first section. good times.

The best.

great story
thanks for sharing

DaveMT

Postby DaveMT » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:42 pm

jdl239 wrote:
francisConn wrote:

The best.

I have always wondered if maybe LSAC hired douche bags like this to come take the test and throw a curveball to everyone. Both times I have taken it there has been a 50+ yr old man taking the test just to see what it was about. And both times they were distracting as hell. Almost as if they were doing it on purpose just to fuck with people.

The guy at my test fit this description perfectly. Distracting, out of place, didn't know what was on the test, talking loudly about bullshit like his prior legal career??? Talking big and making no sense with his corvette n shit.

phoonie

Postby phoonie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Unfortunately, nothing extremely hilarious happened at my testing site. However, I was surprised at how many people knew NOTHING about the structure or contents of the test.

"Is there a math section?"
"There's a break!?"
"I need to show ID!?"
"Can I keep track of the time with my phone?"

Also, is it strange to have an equally clueless proctor? For some reason, her answer to virtually every question was "I don't know, I'd have to check the booklet"; even for the most obvious things (5 minute warnings, breaks, the EXISTENCE of a writing section).

VTOrange19

Postby VTOrange19 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 pm

I won't name the law school, but due to a marathon being run near the building, a handful of us arrived late. During our break, the proctors and the administrators were actually quite candid with us. The proctor relived his LSAT fears to us and told us we were all being very calm and focused. Then the bomb was dropped....

Assistant Dean of Admissions is in the room and says "I don't even really understand how they grade this thing. I simply look at the score and look at what other people have scored to compare. Is it curved? Do you get certain points per question?"

Shock and awe. Let's just say I was thinking of it as a safety school due to it being the only law school in my hometown and my family has ties to some of the largest handful of firms in the city, but after that comment I couldn't do it.

phoonie

Postby phoonie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:47 pm

VTOrange19 wrote:Assistant Dean of Admissions is in the room and says "I don't even really understand how they grade this thing. I simply look at the score and look at what other people have scored to compare. Is it curved? Do you get certain points per question?"

Dear GOD, that would scare the shit out of me. Please say it's not a T14.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:48 pm

phoonie wrote:
VTOrange19 wrote:Assistant Dean of Admissions is in the room and says "I don't even really understand how they grade this thing. I simply look at the score and look at what other people have scored to compare. Is it curved? Do you get certain points per question?"

Dear GOD, that would scare the shit out of me. Please say it's not a T14.

It was Yale

gggrra

Postby gggrra » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:32 pm

Not a terribly interesting story, but maybe mildly amusing. The guy sitting behind me brought only 1 mechanical pencil with him to the test, so before it starts he taps me on the shoulder to borrow a pencil because I had about ten spread across my desk. I give him one, wondering what he'll do when it breaks or gets too blunt. Then during the rule reading, he realizes that mechanical pencils are not allowed and starts asking me for another pencil, but the proctor was nice enough to give him some pencils that she brought.

I amazes me how many people don't bother to read the 2 page instruction sheet, what are they going to do as lawyers?

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:36 pm

gggrra wrote:Not a terribly interesting story, but maybe mildly amusing. The guy sitting behind me brought only 1 mechanical pencil with him to the test, so before it starts he taps me on the shoulder to borrow a pencil because I had about ten spread across my desk. I give him one, wondering what he'll do when it breaks or gets too blunt. Then during the rule reading, he realizes that mechanical pencils are not allowed and starts asking me for another pencil, but the proctor was nice enough to give him some pencils that she brought.

I amazes me how many people don't bother to read the 2 page instruction sheet, what are they going to do as lawyers?

Probably nothing, since they may not have a shot at practicing law in the first place...

... says the guy who didn't write out the certifying statement in cursive.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:39 pm

shop if it makes you feel better, i wrote half in cursive, said ahh forgetabout it- then went half in semi print scribbles

gggrra

Postby gggrra » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:42 pm

I didn't write in cursive either, but I'm 95% sure the proctor didn't specify. I remember thinking "should this be in cursive?", but didn't remember hearing it in the instructions.

Probably not a big deal.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:50 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
sundance95 wrote:She might also proctor the GRE, as it requires cursive for the honor statement. I have been on a lifelong crusade against cursive since the 3rd grade, so when I took the GRE I printed the honor statement instead of using cursive. The bitchy proctor looks at it, and says, "You need to write it in cursive." I just stared her down for about 5-10 seconds, and then replied, "that is cursive." She immediately brightened up and says, 'Oh, great!" I thought I had Jedi mind trick skills for half a second.

that is awesome!

Peg

Postby Peg » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:01 am

I want this thread to be updated some time today. The June 2011 administration had better have produced some excellent tales.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:52 am

Peg wrote:I want this thread to be updated some time today. The June 2011 administration had better have produced some excellent tales.

Awyeah! This was the first thread I ever read on TLS.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:59 am

I so missed this thread.

So much.

B-Brav0

Postby B-Brav0 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:51 am

This thread is hilarious. Now we see why the national average for this test is in the 150s. It all makes sense now.

:mrgreen:

phx

Postby phx » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:56 am

I'll add a story from when I took the LSAT last year at a very small for-profit law school which is notorious for their emails encouraging people to attend. Interestingly, the person responsible for sending all those emails, who will be known as Head Proctor, was one of the main characters in the story.

After arriving on time, we were all herded into a room to wait for what ended up being an hour and a half past the official start time while the staff "sorted some things out". Finally, in walks the Head Proctor to go over some preliminary matters before checking us in...

Head Proctor: OK, just to start, if your name has a suffix, this must appear both on your primary form of identification as well as the LSAT ticket.
Guy: *raises hand* I'm sorry, but I thought that LSAC's policy is that only first and last name must match, and that suffixes aren't relevant.
Head Proctor: No I'm sorry, that's the way it is.
Guy: I'm pretty sure that's not the case, could you call LSAC?
Head Proctor: Yes I can call... but moving on. Make sure you have 2 forms of identification, something like a driver's license plus a passport.

At this point most of the room starts freaking out.

Same guy: Sorry again, but I thought it said on the test day guidelines that for test centers in the U.S. the thumbprint counts as the second form of ID.
Head Proctor: No no, that's not the case. But I'll call LSAC about that too.
Girl: *said very sarcastically* Why doesn't HE [the Guy] call LSAC?

On the up side, they had lots of free snacks available for everyone during the break. And they had nice big tables to take the test on.

Bud2003

Postby Bud2003 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:10 am

I took the LSAT this past February, and I swear this guy was seated behind me testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqJS3EQ_v6w

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:22 am

taking the test today, hopefully ill have some good stories to report

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:12 pm

In the old October 2010 waiting thread, somebody posted a hilarious LSAT comic they drew up reacting to their test day...I can't find it anymore!

Anyone know what I'm talking about/where we can find it?

Edit: yes, I've used the search function...searched through the thread and came up empty

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:23 pm

pereira6 wrote:In the old October 2010 waiting thread, somebody posted a hilarious LSAT comic they drew up reacting to their test day...I can't find it anymore!

Anyone know what I'm talking about/where we can find it?

Edit: yes, I've used the search function...searched through the thread and came up empty

I think you're referring to this comic strip. Yes, it's hilarious.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:28 pm

this one is also enjoyable

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Well, I successfully killed an hour. Now I have to plan what I'll be doing for the next few months.

File under Cool Story, Bro.

--ImageRemoved--

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:32 pm

gens1tb wrote:this one is also enjoyable

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Well, I successfully killed an hour. Now I have to plan what I'll be doing for the next few months.

File under Cool Story, Bro.

--ImageRemoved--

THIS IS THE ONE! I wanted to give it to all my friends who took the LSAT today :)

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:33 pm

tazmolover wrote:"Why do they have to test us on Saturday....I'm so hung over"

Whats the issue with this quote?

Peg

Postby Peg » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Schopenhauer, who posted upthread, should be flattered by all this. ;)

phx wrote:I'll add a story from when I took the LSAT last year at a very small for-profit law school which is notorious for their emails encouraging people to attend. Interestingly, the person responsible for sending all those emails, who will be known as Head Proctor, was one of the main characters in the story.

After arriving on time, we were all herded into a room to wait for what ended up being an hour and a half past the official start time while the staff "sorted some things out". Finally, in walks the Head Proctor to go over some preliminary matters before checking us in...

Head Proctor: OK, just to start, if your name has a suffix, this must appear both on your primary form of identification as well as the LSAT ticket.
Guy: *raises hand* I'm sorry, but I thought that LSAC's policy is that only first and last name must match, and that suffixes aren't relevant.
Head Proctor: No I'm sorry, that's the way it is.
Guy: I'm pretty sure that's not the case, could you call LSAC?
Head Proctor: Yes I can call... but moving on. Make sure you have 2 forms of identification, something like a driver's license plus a passport.

At this point most of the room starts freaking out.

Same guy: Sorry again, but I thought it said on the test day guidelines that for test centers in the U.S. the thumbprint counts as the second form of ID.
Head Proctor: No no, that's not the case. But I'll call LSAC about that too.
Girl: *said very sarcastically* Why doesn't HE [the Guy] call LSAC?

On the up side, they had lots of free snacks available for everyone during the break. And they had nice big tables to take the test on.

Regent?

Charlotte?

I'm lost - what other TTT schools do spamathons? I need to have this school outted. Phx, please oblige.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”