Overheard at the LSAT

lsapplicant07
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby lsapplicant07 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:25 pm

pereira6 wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:I think I'll go down to my local testing center this june and wait around outside the testing rooms just for the chance to pick up on little snippets like these. I love this thread.


Future TLS poster:

"I had a weird experience for my June LSAT. I was in a group talking about the test during the break and some guy said he wasn't actually taking the test, just hanging out talking to test-takers"

:lol:


word

stuckinmyhead
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby stuckinmyhead » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Overheard at Feb 2011 test. After the instructions were read, we had a blond girl raise her hand and ask how she would know that she could turn the page *in a section*. The proctor was confused and repeated that she would let us know when a section was finished and when the next section was to begin. The girl repeated her question about when she could turn a page. Eventually another test taker figured out what she was asking and told her that she could turn any of the pages in the section whenever she wanted to and even (shock!) jump back and forth between pages as long as she was in the same section. The guy next to me whispered "hasn't she ever seen a prep test before?"...

User avatar
8675309
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby 8675309 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:01 am

The proctor from my test was an absolute bitch. She basically came out to the lobby before the test and read the test instructions to us. While talking, she said "please pay attention, LSAC explains everything so thoroughly that you won't need to even ask questions". Then she talked about how you can go to the bathroom you lose time blah blah, and then talked about how if there was an error with your booklet you should let the proctor know to get you a new one. But, what if there is a problem and it wastes time in the section? LSAC seemed to have forgotten that answer. So to piss her cocky ass off I asked the question and stumped her.

User avatar
Longhorn88
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:00 pm

Was re-taking and during the break I saw a really annoying girl I know who came up to me and immediately started talking about the test trying to figure out the exp. but then I interjected with "Ya, that's matching game was really tough." She gave me a blank look and I told her "Ya the one with the plowing the streets was a matching game. I almost misread a rule and played it as a sequencing game but caught myself. Lucky me."

I didn't see her again for the rest of the test.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:03 pm

stuckinmyhead wrote:Overheard at Feb 2011 test. After the instructions were read, we had a blond girl raise her hand and ask how she would know that she could turn the page *in a section*. The proctor was confused and repeated that she would let us know when a section was finished and when the next section was to begin. The girl repeated her question about when she could turn a page. Eventually another test taker figured out what she was asking and told her that she could turn any of the pages in the section whenever she wanted to and even (shock!) jump back and forth between pages as long as she was in the same section. The guy next to me whispered "hasn't she ever seen a prep test before?"...



:shock:

kelly512
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby kelly512 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 pm

A woman in our room flipped after filling out biographical information. She raised her hand and said, "Shouldn't you have told us to read the directions for filling this out before we filled it out? Some of the information is optional."

I was a little stunned, particularly because we had specifically been told to read the directions sheet before entering our info.

Some people!

I wonder if she knew that we don't get scored on that.

User avatar
cmraider
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby cmraider » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:06 pm

When I took the LSAT, there was a group of people sitting next to me (presumably college juniors) who said they'd narrowed their LS options down to either University of Tennessee/Georgia...or Charleston.

User avatar
afc1910
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby afc1910 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 pm

the guy I was talking to while smoking during our break said: "i'm gonna need to take a massive dump when I get out of here with all the red bull and nicotine i've been ingesting." men are so charming!

also, when I was taking the June LSAT i sat next to a fifty-something construction worker, who decided to take the test "just to see what it's all about". when we sat down after checking in, he said: "so what are we being tested on? is there a math section?" he then proceeded to sneak strawberries from under the table during the entire first section. good times.

jdl239
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby jdl239 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:15 pm

I posted this on another thread, but I found it interesting. I had a guy making fun of my zip-lock bag as we were walking into the testing center. When we got to the check-in table they told him he had to have all his belongings in a zip-lock bag or else. He kinda looked around like he was thinking "O Shit". I told him I still had the box of bags in my car and we went to get him one. The proctors at this particular site were dicks about everything though. They would not let me have a cough drop in during the test. I told the lady that i did not want to be the one guy coughing the whole the test. She told me that was not her problem. They even made me take my watch off my wrist and put it in my bag just to walk in the room. And of course she made all of was write in cursive.

DaveMT
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby DaveMT » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Two good ones:

1. 8:30 arrives and there are seven empty seats (assigned seats). The proctor says--we can't quite start as these 7 aren't here yet.

WTF?

2. While waiting for the 7 none of whom show up, some 65ish used car salesman looking guy starts talking about how he used to be an attorney like 30 years ago in California. Driving around in his badass corvette and winning big cases like this and that. I was struggling to tune the SOB out while several test-takers were completely enthralled with his bullshit.

DaveMT
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby DaveMT » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:24 pm

jdl239 wrote:I posted this on another thread, but I found it interesting. I had a guy making fun of my zip-lock bag as we were walking into the testing center. When we got to the check-in table they told him he had to have all his belongings in a zip-lock bag or else. He kinda looked around like he was thinking "O Shit". I told him I still had the box of bags in my car and we went to get him one. The proctors at this particular site were dicks about everything though. They would not let me have a cough drop in during the test. I told the lady that i did not want to be the one guy coughing the whole the test. She told me that was not her problem. They even made me take my watch off my wrist and put it in my bag just to walk in the room. And of course she made all of was write in cursive.



This cursive bullshit....I don't get it. It was plainly written that the statement only needed to be written out. There are NO requirements for cursive!!!

jdl239
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby jdl239 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:29 pm

DaveMT wrote:
jdl239 wrote:I posted this on another thread, but I found it interesting. I had a guy making fun of my zip-lock bag as we were walking into the testing center. When we got to the check-in table they told him he had to have all his belongings in a zip-lock bag or else. He kinda looked around like he was thinking "O Shit". I told him I still had the box of bags in my car and we went to get him one. The proctors at this particular site were dicks about everything though. They would not let me have a cough drop in during the test. I told the lady that i did not want to be the one guy coughing the whole the test. She told me that was not her problem. They even made me take my watch off my wrist and put it in my bag just to walk in the room. And of course she made all of was write in cursive.



This cursive bullshit....I don't get it. It was plainly written that the statement only needed to be written out. There are NO requirements for cursive!!!




O, I know. I was halfway done with it when she came to me and told me I needed to erase it and write it in cursive. That bitch was a very hot topic of conversation during our break!!

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby JazzOne » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:48 pm

jdl239 wrote:I posted this on another thread, but I found it interesting. I had a guy making fun of my zip-lock bag as we were walking into the testing center. When we got to the check-in table they told him he had to have all his belongings in a zip-lock bag or else. He kinda looked around like he was thinking "O Shit". I told him I still had the box of bags in my car and we went to get him one. The proctors at this particular site were dicks about everything though. They would not let me have a cough drop in during the test. I told the lady that i did not want to be the one guy coughing the whole the test. She told me that was not her problem. They even made me take my watch off my wrist and put it in my bag just to walk in the room. And of course she made all of was write in cursive.

There's no way I would have given that guy a bag if he was ass about it.

User avatar
joebloe
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:02 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby joebloe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 pm

jdl239 wrote:
DaveMT wrote:
jdl239 wrote:I posted this on another thread, but I found it interesting. I had a guy making fun of my zip-lock bag as we were walking into the testing center. When we got to the check-in table they told him he had to have all his belongings in a zip-lock bag or else. He kinda looked around like he was thinking "O Shit". I told him I still had the box of bags in my car and we went to get him one. The proctors at this particular site were dicks about everything though. They would not let me have a cough drop in during the test. I told the lady that i did not want to be the one guy coughing the whole the test. She told me that was not her problem. They even made me take my watch off my wrist and put it in my bag just to walk in the room. And of course she made all of was write in cursive.



This cursive bullshit....I don't get it. It was plainly written that the statement only needed to be written out. There are NO requirements for cursive!!!




O, I know. I was halfway done with it when she came to me and told me I needed to erase it and write it in cursive. That bitch was a very hot topic of conversation during our break!!


On any standardized form, especially those used for standardized testing, "print" means use block letters, whereas "write" means use cursive. I assume you're talking about the agreement you have to copy- I'm reasonably certain it's to increase testing panic and to get a time-pressured sample of your handwriting in case there's any question as to whether you are who you claim to be. I would have totally loved to say something like, "I don't know how to write anything other than my name!"

benito
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby benito » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:24 am

joebloe wrote:
jdl239 wrote:
DaveMT wrote:
jdl239 wrote:I posted this on another thread, but I found it interesting. I had a guy making fun of my zip-lock bag as we were walking into the testing center. When we got to the check-in table they told him he had to have all his belongings in a zip-lock bag or else. He kinda looked around like he was thinking "O Shit". I told him I still had the box of bags in my car and we went to get him one. The proctors at this particular site were dicks about everything though. They would not let me have a cough drop in during the test. I told the lady that i did not want to be the one guy coughing the whole the test. She told me that was not her problem. They even made me take my watch off my wrist and put it in my bag just to walk in the room. And of course she made all of was write in cursive.



This cursive bullshit....I don't get it. It was plainly written that the statement only needed to be written out. There are NO requirements for cursive!!!




O, I know. I was halfway done with it when she came to me and told me I needed to erase it and write it in cursive. That bitch was a very hot topic of conversation during our break!!


On any standardized form, especially those used for standardized testing, "print" means use block letters, whereas "write" means use cursive. I assume you're talking about the agreement you have to copy- I'm reasonably certain it's to increase testing panic and to get a time-pressured sample of your handwriting in case there's any question as to whether you are who you claim to be. I would have totally loved to say something like, "I don't know how to write anything other than my name!"


yeah but the writing sample offers them a much larger sample of your handwriting if they needed it. I've taken the test twice and neither time did anyone say anything about writing in cursive on that statement. Sounds like that bitch lady was seizing her one opportunity at semi-authority in an otherwise depressing life....

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby mattviphky » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:12 am

Place was nice, proctors were cool, but I was curious about some people. One girl from my undergrad: "I'm really nervous about this test." me: "I didn't even know you wanted to be a lawyer." girl: "Yeah, I'm in a sorority too, all my sisters call me Elle Woods." Seemed innocent, but it came off incredibly...arrogant. Also, she was an unattractive brunette.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:54 am

enough beer will make more people attractive( or you drunk and bline enough not to care)!

User avatar
kmichlew
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby kmichlew » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:06 pm

A girl I met at the December LSAT was at the February one with me as well...

Me: "Hey you were here in December, too. Sucks to be us."
Girl: "Yeah, I didn't do so well.
Me: "Me neither, what was your score?"
Girl: "A 146. I think it's because I got anxiety. Remember, they made me take off my hat? My weave was all messed up."

Yikes.

JesusChrist
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby JesusChrist » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:30 am

mattviphky wrote:Place was nice, proctors were cool, but I was curious about some people. One girl from my undergrad: "I'm really nervous about this test." me: "I didn't even know you wanted to be a lawyer." girl: "Yeah, I'm in a sorority too, all my sisters call me Elle Woods." Seemed innocent, but it came off incredibly...arrogant. Also, she was an unattractive brunette.


Maybe they didn't get to the part in Legally Blonde where she gets into Harvard and they were actually ridiculing her.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby sundance95 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:48 am

DaveMT wrote:And of course she made all of was write in cursive.


This cursive bullshit....I don't get it. It was plainly written that the statement only needed to be written out. There are NO requirements for cursive!!!

She might also proctor the GRE, as it requires cursive for the honor statement. I have been on a lifelong crusade against cursive since the 3rd grade, so when I took the GRE I printed the honor statement instead of using cursive. The bitchy proctor looks at it, and says, "You need to write it in cursive." I just stared her down for about 5-10 seconds, and then replied, "that is cursive." She immediately brightened up and says, 'Oh, great!" I thought I had Jedi mind trick skills for half a second.

:mrgreen: I guess that's why they give tests instead of taking them. :mrgreen:

/irrelevant GRE thread derail

User avatar
well-hello-there
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby well-hello-there » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:28 am

sundance95 wrote:She might also proctor the GRE, as it requires cursive for the honor statement. I have been on a lifelong crusade against cursive since the 3rd grade, so when I took the GRE I printed the honor statement instead of using cursive. The bitchy proctor looks at it, and says, "You need to write it in cursive." I just stared her down for about 5-10 seconds, and then replied, "that is cursive." She immediately brightened up and says, 'Oh, great!" I thought I had Jedi mind trick skills for half a second.

that is awesome!

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:55 am

kmichlew wrote:A girl I met at the December LSAT was at the February one with me as well...

Me: "Hey you were here in December, too. Sucks to be us."
Girl: "Yeah, I didn't do so well.
Me: "Me neither, what was your score?"
Girl: "A 146. I think it's because I got anxiety. Remember, they made me take off my hat? My weave was all messed up."

Yikes.

lol

My weave!

Peg
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Peg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:06 am

This is one of my fave threads.

DaveMT wrote:While waiting for the 7 none of whom show up, some 65ish used car salesman looking guy starts talking about how he used to be an attorney like 30 years ago in California. Driving around in his badass corvette and winning big cases like this and that. I was struggling to tune the SOB out while several test-takers were completely enthralled with his bullshit.


They never stopped to wonder why a hotshot California lawyer is retaking the LSAT? Amazing.

DaveMT
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby DaveMT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Peg wrote:This is one of my fave threads.

DaveMT wrote:While waiting for the 7 none of whom show up, some 65ish used car salesman looking guy starts talking about how he used to be an attorney like 30 years ago in California. Driving around in his badass corvette and winning big cases like this and that. I was struggling to tune the SOB out while several test-takers were completely enthralled with his bullshit.


They never stopped to wonder why a hotshot California lawyer is retaking the LSAT? Amazing.



Yeah.....I couldn't follow...unless they were so entertained that they wanted to hear more from the guy. That little sideshow was near the last thing I would have expected on test day.

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby francisConn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:29 pm

afc1910 wrote:the guy I was talking to while smoking during our break said: "i'm gonna need to take a massive dump when I get out of here with all the red bull and nicotine i've been ingesting." men are so charming!

also, when I was taking the June LSAT i sat next to a fifty-something construction worker, who decided to take the test "just to see what it's all about". when we sat down after checking in, he said: "so what are we being tested on? is there a math section?" he then proceeded to sneak strawberries from under the table during the entire first section. good times.



The best.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: youngwarrior and 5 guests