Overheard at the LSAT

verklempt

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby verklempt » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:31 pm

swampthang wrote:Also, we were taking the test on these big lab tables, and at the break the girl sitting next to me at my table moved to a different table.

Maybe she was just confused? I wouldn't have found my seat after the break except I recognized my pencil array.

Also, we were assigned seats, after which the proctors made a seating chart. No way could anyone have moved. I assumed this was SOP?

kitmitzi

Postby kitmitzi » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:09 pm

I didn’t overhear or participate in any memorable conversations, but I remember a girl in my test center was decked out head-to-toe in Dartmouth gear (we were nowhere near NH). I went to a pretty top notch UG and I certainly have my own elitist tendencies, but even I thought this was a bit pretentious.

Or maybe those were the only comfortable clothes she had at home? Only pair of non-jeans I own is my college sweatpants and it's possible she left most of her cold clothes in NH.

Besides, I'm sure if someone was decked out in ASU clothes you wouldn't have had the same reaction. Just because someone wears their college gear doesn't mean they're trying to be elitist or douchey. Then again, I'm not sure what you mean by head-to-toe. If she had a hat/shirt/sweatshirt/pants/socks/ring then that would be pretentious.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:23 pm

Speaking of non-jeans, I was the only person writing in sweatpants and an oversized shirt, mainly due to the fact that I practiced in my sleep clothes regularly. Also it's very comfortable, safe to say I was stared at for quite some time.

kitmitzi

Postby kitmitzi » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:27 pm

Speaking of non-jeans, I was the only person writing in sweatpants and an oversized shirt, mainly due to the fact that I practiced in my sleep clothes regularly. Also it's very comfortable, safe to say I was stared at for quite some time.

Same. Almost went in my PJs until my parents stopped me at the door. I was the only girl without hair done, make up, etc. I probably looked like a swamp monster, but in my hypothetical nightmare my makeup starts to melt during the test and gets all over my answer sheet.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:30 pm

kitmitzi wrote:

Same. Almost went in my PJs until my parents stopped me at the door. I was the only girl without hair done, make up, etc. I probably looked like a swamp monster, but in my hypothetical nightmare my makeup starts to melt during the test and gets all over my answer sheet.

lol yea I didn't really care what people thought I was there to do a job. Pretty soon after though a guy walks in the door in a brand new suit, he drew the attention at that point.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:11 pm

I wore a retro-style Deron Williams jersey and a Utah Jazz fitted (yeah, had to take it off haha)...kinda silly but it's what I was comfortable in for the day and I really think people should just do whatever they want. It's not like potential employers are sitting there going "I LOVE the professionalism he displays while FILLING IN BUBBLES ON AN ANSWER SHEET!!!"

I was on the lookout for full-suit wearers myself. No dice haha

akili

Postby akili » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:32 pm

I was surprised by how many girls were fully "decked" out for the LSAT. I guess it's like plane flight though, some go for comfort and some just want to look hot. I fall in the former. Sweatpants all the waaaaayyy

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:41 pm

pereira6 wrote:I wore a retro-style Deron Williams jersey and a Utah Jazz fitted (yeah, had to take it off haha)...kinda silly but it's what I was comfortable in for the day and I really think people should just do whatever they want. It's not like potential employers are sitting there going "I LOVE the professionalism he displays while FILLING IN BUBBLES ON AN ANSWER SHEET!!!"

You should have worn a CP3 jersey if you wanted to get that 180.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:47 pm

i took it at university of oregon and two people were talking about their target scores:
Girl: yeah, i am just hoping for like a 155, good enough to get in here.
Guy: yeah, me too.

oregon's 25/75 is 157/161. the TLSer in me wanted to be like, lol ur fucked but i was trying to think positive thoughts.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:39 pm

verklempt wrote:Maybe she was just confused? I wouldn't have found my seat after the break except I recognized my pencil array.

Also, we were assigned seats, after which the proctors made a seating chart. No way could anyone have moved. I assumed this was SOP?

It was SOP for us, too. At the break I saw her talk to the proctors and then when we came back she was moved. No idea why. We never interacted and the proctors never said anything to me.

kitmitzi wrote:
I didn’t overhear or participate in any memorable conversations, but I remember a girl in my test center was decked out head-to-toe in Dartmouth gear (we were nowhere near NH). I went to a pretty top notch UG and I certainly have my own elitist tendencies, but even I thought this was a bit pretentious.

Or maybe those were the only comfortable clothes she had at home? Only pair of non-jeans I own is my college sweatpants and it's possible she left most of her cold clothes in NH.

Besides, I'm sure if someone was decked out in ASU clothes you wouldn't have had the same reaction. Just because someone wears their college gear doesn't mean they're trying to be elitist or douchey. Then again, I'm not sure what you mean by head-to-toe. If she had a hat/shirt/sweatshirt/pants/socks/ring then that would be pretentious.

I'd be more than willing to debate the merits of my knee-jerk assessment. A few details to provide further context for my reaction. This was the October LSAT, taken at a community college with nothing remotely resembling a top UG for at least 200 miles. Thus, I thought it fair to assume that the majority of test-takers would be coming from local TTTs. Certainly some could be graduates of prestigious colleges, or home on break, but most of them seemed to be local college students. Thus, I felt like this girl was 'rubbing it in their faces' that she went to a 'superior' college and would therefore do better than everyone else there (pretty much like the Princeton example).

Of course I wouldn't be saying this if the girl had worn App. St. gear- there's nothing elite about App. St. unless you count their football team which is my entire point. The fact is the girl made the conscious decision to wear ALL Dartmouth apparel, and unless she's totally clueless, had to have at least some sense that most of the people there went to schools far far lower on the prestige scale. At least, that's what went through my head in that split second.

iWayneState

Postby iWayneState » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:38 pm

I had some young men wearing suits in my test center.

Being the clothes snob I am all I saw were
1. Dress shoes from Khols
2. Old crusty blue pants with pleats. Probably relaxed fit.
3. A dress shirt/tie combo package that he probably got for $19.99 from TJMaxx
4. Crusty blazer
5. To top it off, homeboy was 15 pounds overweight.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:49 pm

I wore my HLS jacket for good luck. I'm not sure anyone noticed, and people were dressed very casually where I tested. I don't know if others put any thought into good karma attire.

I did forget to put on my lucky necklace, so if my score is low, that's probably wy.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:59 pm

mottainai wrote:
pereira6 wrote:I wore a retro-style Deron Williams jersey and a Utah Jazz fitted (yeah, had to take it off haha)...kinda silly but it's what I was comfortable in for the day and I really think people should just do whatever they want. It's not like potential employers are sitting there going "I LOVE the professionalism he displays while FILLING IN BUBBLES ON AN ANSWER SHEET!!!"

You should have worn a CP3 jersey if you wanted to get that 180.

Im a Utah Jazz fan, broski! haha

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:12 pm

kkklick wrote:Speaking of non-jeans, I was the only person writing in sweatpants and an oversized shirt, mainly due to the fact that I practiced in my sleep clothes regularly. Also it's very comfortable, safe to say I was stared at for quite some time.

Yeah, I went in spandex and a big sweatshirt, and when I arrived I realized everyone else was dressed normally. I couldn't figure out why in the hell all these people would wear jeans to a four hour test.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:17 pm

artichoke wrote:
kkklick wrote:Speaking of non-jeans, I was the only person writing in sweatpants and an oversized shirt, mainly due to the fact that I practiced in my sleep clothes regularly. Also it's very comfortable, safe to say I was stared at for quite some time.

Yeah, I went in spandex and a big sweatshirt, and when I arrived I realized everyone else was dressed normally. I couldn't figure out why in the hell all these people would wear jeans to a four hour test.

I stay focused better if I'm in normal clothing, which is why I don't take tests or write papers when I'm in my PJs. Not really sure why that is, but who am I to fight it? That's why I wore jeans and a polo shirt to the LSAT.

iphone7

Postby iphone7 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:18 pm

iWayneState wrote:I had some young men wearing suits in my test center.

Being the clothes snob I am all I saw were
1. Dress shoes from Khols
2. Old crusty blue pants with pleats. Probably relaxed fit.
3. A dress shirt/tie combo package that he probably got for $19.99 from TJMaxx
4. Crusty blazer
5. To top it off, homeboy was 15 pounds overweight.

You are my favorite. I would have judged them the same way.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:21 pm

verklempt wrote:I wore my HLS jacket for good luck. I'm not sure anyone noticed, and people were dressed very casually where I tested. I don't know if others put any thought into good karma attire.

I did forget to put on my lucky necklace, so if my score is low, that's probably wy.

HLS as in Harvard Law School (just have to make sure as I personally use this acronym different ways)??? I thought about wearing a Yale Law shirt a friend gave me, then decided I didn't want to be 'that guy'.

verklempt

Postby verklempt » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:06 pm

swampthang wrote:HLS as in Harvard Law School (just have to make sure as I personally use this acronym different ways)??? I thought about wearing a Yale Law shirt a friend gave me, then decided I didn't want to be 'that guy'.

A gift from a family member who graduated from Harvard Law in May. It's the only fleece pullover I have so I wear it a lot. Veritas crest is small, writing really really small. I am normally a pretty outrageous dresser but even I wouldn't have worn something with the name in big type as that would clearly attract the negative karma gods.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:15 pm

verklempt wrote:
swampthang wrote:HLS as in Harvard Law School (just have to make sure as I personally use this acronym different ways)??? I thought about wearing a Yale Law shirt a friend gave me, then decided I didn't want to be 'that guy'.

A gift from a family member who graduated from Harvard Law in May. It's the only fleece pullover I have so I wear it a lot. Veritas crest is small, writing really really small. I am normally a pretty outrageous dresser but even I wouldn't have worn something with the name in big type as that would clearly attract the negative karma gods.

Fortes fortuna juvat, so maybe it paid off for you? I certainly find your qualifiers of how small it is amusing. I think I've just been accused of being an elitist douche so many times in my life that now I'm hypersensitive to it. Boo.

criticalthinkx

Postby criticalthinkx » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:58 pm

rso11 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
rso11 wrote:lol This thread is great.

At my testing location they split us up alphabetically and all the M-Z were in my room. (Kinda sucked b/c the 1st half of the alphabet actually got TABLES and we had those tiny little fold-over lecture desks...). Anyway, this one guy went up to the proctor during check-in:

Guy: So, my ticket says we're in X Hall. But you guys put the M-Z in here instead. I want to test there. Why can't I test there?
Proctor: Well what's your last name?
Guy: Z.

In all fairness we got tables at mine but my score would probably be about two points lower on those crappy little fold down things

lol Yeah they're pretty shitty.

A kid at my LSAT had a severely deformed right hand, and was the third of three left-handers in the door. Unfortunately, there were only two left-handed desks. The disabled kid had to sit with two desks together in a very unnatural manner.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Bumped for February!

Dude a few seats away from me left after getting caught working on a different section. Five-minutes of hushed exchanges ("oh I'm so sorry I have to do this" to "you just ruined my life, you know that?") really threw me off.

Also, before it started...

Guy: How many sections are there in the test?
Girl: There's one that isn't scored.
Guy: Oh cool. How many sections are there altogether though?
Girl: Four, I think.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:11 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Bumped for February!

Dude a few seats away from me left after getting caught working on a different section. Five-minutes of hushed exchanges ("oh I'm so sorry I have to do this" to "you just ruined my life, you know that?") really threw me off.

Also, before it started...

Guy: How many sections are there in the test?
Girl: There's one that isn't scored.
Guy: Oh cool. How many sections are there altogether though?
Girl: Four, I think.

Why the fuck wouldn't the proctor wait for the section to end before starting a confrontation?

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:13 pm

JazzOne wrote:Why the fuck wouldn't the proctor wait for the section to end before starting a confrontation?

I have no idea. Wondering if it's worth a notice to LSAC.

apom

Postby apom » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:24 pm

So many losers at my test center I couldn't even believe it

1: foreign greaser asking "who got 170" to people. This guy needs to chill out and start dressing better.
2: Girl clearly lying about how well she can do games. "I finish games with 10 minutes to go" lol no you don't

If this is any representation of what law school is like then I'd rather not even be in the same room as these people. I did meet a few chill people (who sadly not will probably not make it) but a lot of the people there were such douches. No wonder people look at me with contempt when I say I want to study law.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:30 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Why the fuck wouldn't the proctor wait for the section to end before starting a confrontation?

I have no idea. Wondering if it's worth a notice to LSAC.

It never ceases to amaze me how the proctors can fuck up such a monumentally easy job. I'd probably notify LSAC. Maybe they'll let you retake for free.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”