Overheard at the LSAT

whitefeather2011

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby whitefeather2011 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:40 pm

akili wrote:Haha, I couldn't believe it was happening. This was a retake for me and my first test was at a Christian college where people offered to pray for us all....this was slightly different.

awesome! I should have taken it there, shoot lol no really, that's so nice.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:47 pm

I distinctly remember some Princeton kid sitting by me when I took the test last year. We were chatting about the prep we did and he was putting me down because I took a course and spent quite a bit of time doing self-study. He said something along the lines of "Dude, this test requires no actual knowledge. Its all logic, which is something I'm good at already. So I didn't study for this."

...And he got up in the middle of the test and walked out. Guess he wasn't as good at logic as he assumed he was.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:48 pm

I took the test at a tiny little Christian (Baptist, I think) seminary school. When we were lined up to check in, we filed past a table in a hallway set up as a Lost & Found for the school. There were 2 copies of a textbook called Figuring Foreigners Out.

Me: Oh my god, they have a textbook called Figuring Foreigners Out?
Other Guy: This is a "foreigner". A foreigner is a person from another country!
Me: This is a "minority". We have to show you them in books because there aren't any here.

nylost

Postby nylost » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:50 pm

nylost

Postby nylost » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:52 pm

dakatz wrote:I distinctly remember some Princeton kid sitting by me when I took the test last year. We were chatting about the prep we did and he was putting me down because I took a course and spent quite a bit of time doing self-study. He said something along the lines of "Dude, this test requires no actual knowledge. Its all logic, which is something I'm good at already. So I didn't study for this."

...And he got up in the middle of the test and walked out. Guess he wasn't as good at logic as he assumed he was.

lol

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:59 pm

My friend and I were both there and are both retakers from June. She decided to enroll in a Kaplan course and I decided to do self-study.

Me: So did you retake PT 60?
Her: What's that?

....it astounds me how many people walk out of Kaplan not understanding where the questions they do come from....
also the girl next to me said she didn't finish 3 of the sections..but took a class with kaplan. how does that happen?

and a stupid gaff I made that I didn't even realize I made til way after

girl: where do you want to go to LS?
me: I'm thinking BU/BC. What about you?
girl: I want to go to Stanford.
me: Oh, have you ever been to Connecticut?

..we proceeded to have an entire conversation about how Connecticut gets snow and she doesn't like snow and that she won't get better weather at Harvard....why didn't she just say, "uhm you know Stanford is in Cali, right?" lol I felt so stupid mixing up Stanford and Yale - chalk it up to test day jitters/5hr energy making my brain work too fast.

DrackedaryMaster

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:00 pm

After I came out of the Test Center a group of people were talking and they felt they did "ok" on the test:

Guy 1: Games were okay. I did those easy.
Guy 2: Yeah
Guy 1: Yeah man, I think I'm okay. I probably got a 150, it's okay because that's good
for the schools I'm looking at
Guy 2: Wow, that's awesome. I don't think I did as good as you.
Me: Hey, did you guys get 3 argument sections?
Guy 1: No. Did I miss that part?
Me: No I'm trying to see which argument was an experimental section.
Guy 2: There's an experimental section?
Me: Yeah, one section doesn't count
Guy 2: Oh cool, I hope it was that section with those game scenarios. Man that $hit was confusing.
Me: Could be, did you have two of them?
Guy 2: No, I had two long reading sections and they were hard
Me: Sorry, looks like it counts
Guy 1: You had 2 reading parts? I thought everybody got the same test?
Me: They do, just a different order and a different experimental section.
Guy 1: Wow, I didn't know that. I thought everybody got the same one.
Me: Nope. I had 3 argument sections.
Guy1: Wow, which ones count?
Me: That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Needless to say, these guys wern't very helpful. But guy 1 is right though. If he's looking at Wiedner, that 150 may just do it for him.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:01 pm

I don't have any good LSAT stories, but when I was taking the SAT my junior year of high school there were a bunch of seniors re-taking the test, talking about their prior scores (mostly in the 700-800 range, COMBINED) and how much they were hoping to break 1000 this time. I'm pretty sure they were hungover, too. My 16 year old self lol'd.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:06 pm

upon hearing the proctor say that you can use only HB #2 non-mechanical pencils, this girl raises her hand and says she only has one mechanical pencil. the proctor was nice enough to have brought some pencils.

i facepalmed.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:15 pm

The proctor asked if anyone had any electronics like cell phones or calculators. One girl raised her hand and said, "I have my cell phone...but it's off!" I think everyone in the room facepalmed. They took her out of the room to go give it to the head proctor in another room, I think. We had to wait to continue with the rule-reading until she got back.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:19 pm

Most of the conversations at my test center were quite civil, and people seemed to be well prepared for the exam.

granger

Postby granger » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:19 pm

--
Last edited by granger on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

djjf39

Postby djjf39 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:21 pm

So a little bit of background info:

During the June test this one guy did not know his SSN. I was more concerned about my test, so I did not really pay attention to what happened with him.

During the OCT test the same guy was there, still didn't know his social, and I caught all of the interaction between him and the proctor.

Guy "What if we don't know our social security number"
Proctor "Really? You don't know it"
Guy "I have never had to use it"
Proctor "How old are you?"
Guy "23, I am senior"
Proctor "Do you have it written down somewhere?"
Guy "I am sure my mom does"
Proctor "Your mom is here right now?"
Guy "No, but I could call her"
Proctor "How?"
Guy "I have my cell-phone, it will be quick, I promise" - Dude whips out his cell, it is of course an iPhone.
Proctor "Those aren't allowed"
Guy "But you asked, and it was in my pocket on vibrate"
Proctor "Come outside with me"

They left, came back, dude sat the exam; could not believe I had witnessed that interaction.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:21 pm

granger wrote:ITT: a bunch of self-satisfied snobs make fun of people who, gasp, didn't fixate on the LSAT

There is a difference between not preparing for the LSAT at all/actually knowing whats on it and "fixating" on it.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:22 pm

granger wrote:ITT: a bunch of self-satisfied snobs make fun of people who, gasp, didn't fixate on the LSAT

Why even do it if you're not going to take it seriously? Law school is not a free ride. It is competitive.

I get the feeling that a majority of people just sign up for the test and then show up on test day thinking it is a mere formality.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:26 pm

It is ironic that we are called elitists for actually working hard to prepare, but the people who just show up thinking that they are entitled to succeed are not?

Am I going to be an elitist when I study harder than others in law school, too?

Or when I work harder as a lawyer?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:31 pm

djjf39 wrote:So a little bit of background info:

During the June test this one guy did not know his SSN. I was more concerned about my test, so I did not really pay attention to what happened with him.

During the OCT test the same guy was there, still didn't know his social, and I caught all of the interaction between him and the proctor.

Guy "What if we don't know our social security number"
Proctor "Really? You don't know it"

My one moment of panic yesterday was when we were filling in the biographical info. I totally blanked on my SSN, despite knowing it for probably 15 years. I got the last 4 digits off my admissions ticket stub, and I knew there were 3 consecutive digits in it somewhere. I sat there for probably 30 terrified sections before it came to me. Huge sigh of relief!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Adjudicator wrote:It is ironic that we are called elitists for actually working hard to prepare, but the people who just show up thinking that they are entitled to succeed are not?

Ignore those people. I've realized the "elitism" of TLS a long time ago. Let's be honest, there are those people who are like "Haha you got a 170? Good luck at TTT, loser!" Even so, I accept it. If these people don't like the elitism on the boards, then no one asks them to post or to even come to this site.

But working hard like many of us do and earning a great score is definitely not being elitist.

granger

Postby granger » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:33 pm

--
Last edited by granger on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

granger

Postby granger » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:It is ironic that we are called elitists for actually working hard to prepare, but the people who just show up thinking that they are entitled to succeed are not?

Ignore those people. I've realized the "elitism" of TLS a long time ago. Let's be honest, there are those people who are like "Haha you got a 170? Good luck at TTT, loser!" Even so, I accept it. If these people don't like the elitism on the boards, then no one asks them to post or to even come to this site.

But working hard like many of us do and earning a great score is definitely not being elitist.

Who's taking issue with working hard and doing well? That's a far cry from looking down on others. And I shouldn't post on or visit TLS because I don't like a thread like this? Pretty sure this thread isn't what Ken had in mind when he created the forum.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:39 pm

granger wrote:I guarantee 99% of the people in this thread wouldn't be comfortable sounding like such arrogant shits in real life.

Well, put me in the 1%, then, because I think people who woefully under-prepare for major life events deserve mocking. Would it be ok to show up to your wedding and be all "what? I didn't know there was a license we had to get, or that I was supposed to, like, reserve the church ahead of time!" Would you have a baby without ever going to a prenatal doctor's appointment or birth classes? (God, I hope not.) Try and buy a house without at least talking to a mortgage broker and getting a credit check? Some stuff HAS to be prepared for, or you just should flat-out NOT DO IT.

granger

Postby granger » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
granger wrote:I guarantee 99% of the people in this thread wouldn't be comfortable sounding like such arrogant shits in real life.

Well, put me in the 1%, then, because I think people who woefully under-prepare for major life events deserve mocking. Would it be ok to show up to your wedding and be all "what? I didn't know there was a license we had to get, or that I was supposed to, like, reserve the church ahead of time!" Would you have a baby without ever going to a prenatal doctor's appointment or birth classes? (God, I hope not.) Try and buy a house without at least talking to a mortgage broker and getting a credit check? Some stuff HAS to be prepared for, or you just should flat-out NOT DO IT.

Yikes.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:41 pm

granger wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Yes.

Fixed

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:41 pm

granger wrote:What's so special about you? You studied harder than others for a standardized test? Great. Does that warrant making fun of people? Stop being so proud of yourself. You haven't accomplished anything. You want to be a lawyer and you studied hard for the LSAT. Do you need to congregate on a message board and make fun of others because they didn't study as hard? How pathetic of them! Must go post this on TLS!

I guarantee 99% of the people in this thread wouldn't be comfortable sounding like such arrogant shits in real life.

I mean I guess it can be considered "making fun" when you hear about those people who didn't know there was an experimental section but it's not like those people don't deserve it. Don't be so sensitive. People can say what they want. No one is naming names. And yea, I reserve the right to make fun of people who don't know what logic games are.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:42 pm

I won't make fun of people who just aren't bright enough for this. I feel bad for those people.

But I have no problem making fun of the people who just fail to make any effort to prepare.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”