Overheard at the LSAT

artichoke

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby artichoke » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:01 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
artichoke wrote:FUCK. I just read through two pages of funny, then fucking 8 pages of bitching. I gave up... why must good threads always be ruined?

Having said THAT, when I got to my testing site they had a huge table of food and drinks for people to snack on before the test and during break. Almost EVERYONE was eating. Is anyone else as shocked by this as I was? I could barely eat two days before the test, let alone 5 fucking minutes before we're about to be seated.

Artichoke wtf were you doing retaking?

I was just relaying a story from my June test. Not that I wouldn't consider retaking the LSAT... I legit had a good time, and I'm sure it would be even better without the stress.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:39 am

artichoke wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
artichoke wrote:FUCK. I just read through two pages of funny, then fucking 8 pages of bitching. I gave up... why must good threads always be ruined?

Having said THAT, when I got to my testing site they had a huge table of food and drinks for people to snack on before the test and during break. Almost EVERYONE was eating. Is anyone else as shocked by this as I was? I could barely eat two days before the test, let alone 5 fucking minutes before we're about to be seated.

Artichoke wtf were you doing retaking?

I was just relaying a story from my June test. Not that I wouldn't consider retaking the LSAT... I legit had a good time, and I'm sure it would be even better without the stress.

I was gonna call you a freak till I thought it over and realized I did too. Until I got my score.

nneal2

Postby nneal2 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:42 am

Just FYI, this is utter BS. No one with a 136 would even get looked at for LSU. You need at least a 158-159 to be competitive. I'm sure that doesn't sound like much to many of you on this thread, and granted it is a state school, but regardless 136 is just not equivocal to that range. Same goes for the 173 score.

bartleby wrote:This isn't meant to be racist at all but...

Some black guy said he's re-taking the LSAT even though he got a 173 and he applied and got rejected from LSU, while his friend got a 136 and got in. He was basically telling everyone in the bathroom line that the LSAT "doesn't matter anyway" during break.

Normally, I'm not going to jump into a conversation and flat out call BS on a stranger in front of everyone but...I almost did.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:52 am

nneal2 wrote:Just FYI, this is utter BS. No one with a 136 would even get looked at for LSU. You need at least a 158-159 to be competitive. I'm sure that doesn't sound like much to many of you on this thread, and granted it is a state school, but regardless 136 is just not equivocal to that range. Same goes for the 173 score.

bartleby wrote:This isn't meant to be racist at all but...

Some black guy said he's re-taking the LSAT even though he got a 173 and he applied and got rejected from LSU, while his friend got a 136 and got in. He was basically telling everyone in the bathroom line that the LSAT "doesn't matter anyway" during break.

Normally, I'm not going to jump into a conversation and flat out call BS on a stranger in front of everyone but...I almost did.

Even if the friend is an AA URM as well?

Although 136 is probably a score that you can achieve by bubbling all D's on the test...

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:59 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
I was gonna call you a freak till I thought it over and realized I did too. Until I got my score.

Yeah, I miss logic games. In fact, I think I'll go do one right now, for old times sake. Could be the beer talking though... I'll probably wake up tomorrow wondering what the LGB is doing in bed with me and hoping like hell we didn't make some terrible mistake together.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:03 am

artichoke wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Yeah, I miss logic games. In fact, I think I'll go do one right now, for old times sake. Could be the beer talking though... I'll probably wake up tomorrow wondering what the LGB is doing in bed with me and hoping like hell we didn't make some terrible mistake together.

Arti... you should seek counseling o_O

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:03 am

My friend taking the test at the same place as me but in a different room said that the kid in front of him put his I-phone to the analog watch setting when the proctor read that no digital watches are allowed. Shortly after, the proctor noticed it sitting on his desk and told him to put it away and he argued that he had put it on the analog setting.

Also, while filling out personal information on the scantron before the actual test, the same guy had the first page of his test booklet opened to section 1 the ENTIRE time he was filling out the info. and the proctors didn't say anything even though they definitely noticed it.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:05 am

Arbiter213 wrote:Arti... you should seek counseling o_O

Oh come on, every potential law school student ends up in bed with the LGB at least once....right? :shock:

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:10 am

artichoke wrote:

Oh come on, every potential law school student ends up in bed with the LGB at least once....right? :shock:

Unfortunately, not many of them remember doing so in the first place.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:22 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
artichoke wrote:

Unfortunately, not many of them remember doing so in the first place.

Blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-a-alcohol

darwin3

Postby darwin3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Guy: (during break asks remainder of class in the room) so what's this test of out?
Class: *blank and confused stares*
Guy: ya know, the SAT is 2400, what's the LSAT out of?
Class: 180! (angered and in unison, quite impressive on our part actually)

man, that'd probably be the guy to get a 180 too. fml.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:20 pm

Not over heard at the LSAT, exactly...

I was at a restaurant studying for the LSAT (I'm taking the test for the first time in Feb) and I overheard the following conversation from the booth behind me:

Kid: L-I-A-R.
Dad: Very good, Olivia. That spells liar. But I'm not a liar, I'm a lawyer. Can you spell lawyer?
Kid: L-I-A-R.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:38 pm

geeeezzzz
where did you take that???? if it was in MI I understand. Michiganders are the best, but otherwise....

Sherrybaby

Postby Sherrybaby » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:07 pm

Right after our break, the proctor told us that we would finish before the other room, according to his calculations.

Proctor: "So, yeah, we should finish before two."
Random woman in the middle of the room: "Wait, I thought this was a three hour test."
Proctor: "No, it's a little longer than that, and we had to wait for every one to get check in and everything..."
RWitMofR: "I have to be at work at 1! What am I going to do? Can I call someone or something?"
Proctor: ...

i felt really bad for her. But, c'mon. You didn't ask off for the LSAT? :/

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Sherrybaby wrote:Right after our break, the proctor told us that we would finish before the other room, according to his calculations.

Proctor: "So, yeah, we should finish before two."
Random woman in the middle of the room: "Wait, I thought this was a three hour test."
Proctor: "No, it's a little longer than that, and we had to wait for every one to get check in and everything..."
RWitMofR: "I have to be at work at 1! What am I going to do? Can I call someone or something?"
Proctor: ...

i felt really bad for her. But, c'mon. You didn't ask off for the LSAT? :/

Let's be fair: she probably couldn't get off for the LSAT, or that was the best her boss would give. That's why the ticket instructions say "up to 7 hours".

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:19 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
rso11 wrote:lol This thread is great.

At my testing location they split us up alphabetically and all the M-Z were in my room. (Kinda sucked b/c the 1st half of the alphabet actually got TABLES and we had those tiny little fold-over lecture desks...). Anyway, this one guy went up to the proctor during check-in:

Guy: So, my ticket says we're in X Hall. But you guys put the M-Z in here instead. I want to test there. Why can't I test there?
Proctor: Well what's your last name?
Guy: Z.

In all fairness we got tables at mine but my score would probably be about two points lower on those crappy little fold down things

word.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:22 pm

I hate to say it, but having taught for a certain test prep company for a while now, I must say.... most people just aren't committed enough to get the scores they want. It usually has nothing to do with testing methods or what-have-you, just as these stories have put it... people are lazy, plain and simple. If they aren't lazy and they keep messing up, then they are not studying properly or they have found methods which don't work and simply keep trying them hoping they would. It's a sad day when you see half of your students and you think to yourself "most of you aren't ready, most of you will be pissed off at us in the future because of your score, most of you didn't do shit to get what you wanted"... and you can't say anything like this to them to hopefully estop them from sinking their teeth into dept they will have serious trouble repaying because you will lose your job if you tell them something in their best interest that they don't want to hear.

FakeBlood

Postby FakeBlood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:27 pm

artichoke wrote:Yeah, I miss logic games. In fact, I think I'll go do one right now, for old times sake..

kill yourself

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:35 pm

savagedm wrote:I hate to say it, but having taught for a certain test prep company for a while now, I must say.... most people just aren't committed enough to get the scores they want. It usually has nothing to do with testing methods or what-have-you, just as these stories have put it... people are lazy, plain and simple. If they aren't lazy and they keep messing up, then they are not studying properly or they have found methods which don't work and simply keep trying them hoping they would. It's a sad day when you see half of your students and you think to yourself "most of you aren't ready, most of you will be pissed off at us in the future because of your score, most of you didn't do shit to get what you wanted"... and you can't say anything like this to them to hopefully estop them from sinking their teeth into dept they will have serious trouble repaying because you will lose your job if you tell them something in their best interest that they don't want to hear.

You know, I have no problem with typos, but the B and the P are so far away from each other on the keyboard, and dept isn't even really a word. I'll just chock it up to a 1L being frazzled by finals.

Mustard Blood

Postby Mustard Blood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Random girl: "I just hope my test is one of the experimental ones that they don't grade."

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:42 pm

savagedm wrote:I hate to say it, but having taught for a certain test prep company for a while now, I must say.... most people just aren't committed enough to get the scores they want. It usually has nothing to do with testing methods or what-have-you, just as these stories have put it... people are lazy, plain and simple. If they aren't lazy and they keep messing up, then they are not studying properly or they have found methods which don't work and simply keep trying them hoping they would. It's a sad day when you see half of your students and you think to yourself "most of you aren't ready, most of you will be pissed off at us in the future because of your score, most of you didn't do shit to get what you wanted"... and you can't say anything like this to them to hopefully estop them from sinking their teeth into dept they will have serious trouble repaying because you will lose your job if you tell them something in their best interest that they don't want to hear.

I'm not a test prep tutor, but I totally second this. I took TM and basically stayed stagnant (168 first diag, 168 sept test). At first I was like "FUUU TM" but then I assessed my prep and the fault was completely mine--I could've worked MUCH harder than I actually did, and the section that I missed the most qs on was the section I prepped for the least. So this time around, no prep course but definitely going to put in more work

Not exactly on-topic, but yeah basically, +1. also, 'estop' makes me think of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2uT1MM2Auo

bleu

Postby bleu » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Mustard Blood wrote:Random girl: "I just hope my test is one of the experimental ones that they don't grade."

Wait.... did you take the lsat this december, in what state?

FakeBlood

Postby FakeBlood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:08 pm

also, the girl next to me was looking pretty pissed. i ran into her at the bars later that same night! hahaha. smallllll world.

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Ran into someone from my test center today who said she didn't even make it through the 2nd game but was hoping she still did well. All I could think about was how that was 11 questions wrong right off the top, not to mention all of the others she surely missed :(

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”