Overheard at the LSAT

$1.99

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby $1.99 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:30 pm

"im hoping i can get into new york law school because they are the best in public interest law"
"yeah nyu is pretty good"
"no im talking about city university of new york, they are unranked but a top public interest school"

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:50 pm

gens1tb wrote:
bartleby wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
bartleby wrote:This isn't meant to be racist at all but...

Some black guy said he's re-taking the LSAT even though he got a 173 and he applied and got rejected from LSU, while his friend got a 136 and got in. He was basically telling everyone in the bathroom line that the LSAT "doesn't matter anyway" during break.

Normally, I'm not going to jump into a conversation and flat out call BS on a stranger in front of everyone but...I almost did.

I don't understand, if I said, "some white guy" instead, would you be on my case? Maybe I should have said... A gentleman that was an African American.

I think you're supposed to say "some guy" 'cause the adjective isn't necessary

I only emphasized black or African American because of the URM boost associated with being black or African American. That's why I said I wasn't trying to be racist by bringing up the fact he was black.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:52 pm

That makes sense. I apologize.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:59 pm

bartleby wrote:I only emphasized black or African American because of the URM boost associated with being black or African American. That's why I said I wasn't trying to be racist by bringing up the fact he was black.

+1, I was wondering why everyone was jumping on your case. The fact that the dude is a URM only further emphasizes his bullshit.

Also, it makes me so happy that you all have brought this thread back.

Tullstone

Postby Tullstone » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:00 pm

Me: Wow that 3rd games was really difficult right?
Guy: Yeah... I just left the answers blank. Better than getting them wrong!!
Me:Oh shit.

akili

Postby akili » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Girl 1: "It doesn't really matter what law school you go to! You get to be a DOCTOR of jurispwojehreho...mumblemumble"
Girl 2: "Yeah!"

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:20 pm

proctor: you have to sit in that desk

me: but I'm not left handed

proctor: I DONT CARE SIT IN THAT DESK!

me: alright. alright.

girl: Can I sit in a left-handed desk?

proctor: no.

me: we can't switch?

proctor: ..... alright FINE

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:24 pm

oh yeah. also this one...

Administrator: EXCUSE ME; EXCUSE ME... YOU CANT HAVE ANY ELECTRONICS!
(capslock because she was yelling ferreal.)

Random guy: But I have diabetes... I was checking my blood sugar.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:26 pm

ah, this is my favorite thread... too bad i didn't hear anything too outrageous this time around.

although there's always the awkward:

other: i took it once already, but i didn't do as well as i wanted.
me: yeah, i'm retaking it too.
other: oh yeah? what'd you get the first time?
me: (typical complaint-worthy score per TLS standards)
other: (take that number, then subtract 15 points)
me: ...oh. that's still really good though.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Girl directly behind me chanting before the test to herself - "160, 160, 160. This is your time. This is your time. This is your time."

Over and over again for like 5 minutes.

After the third section, one of the proctors walked over to her and told her she was being written up because she didn't put her pencil down right when she heard "STOP". I'm pretty sure she cried for the rest of the test.

KYExtemper

Postby KYExtemper » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:35 pm

This is also my favorite thread on this board.

Man, some of these test proctors are strict as hell. My place was pretty lax. Granted, we didn't have anyone not putting their pencils down on time or anything, but that seems a bit petty unless someone is bubbling in clearly after time is called.

ccmbr006

Postby ccmbr006 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:36 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
kwais wrote:the best thing I heard, by far.

Girl 1 "I looked on Emory's website and they said they were accepting applications for 2014. That means they have a 3 year waiting list, JUST TO APPLY!"

Girl 2 "That makes sense, I think a lot of the top schools are that way"

Awesome!

This is hilarious. Better for you guys if these people end up matriculating into your sections, they'll probably end up helping your curve. haha.

BrownBears09 wrote:This thread reeks of undeserved elitism and an overvalued sense of self worth.

When did being realistic and well-prepared become elitism? Besides, you're dealing with a pretty elitist profession. Do some research.

It's like you guys deny the existence of schools ranked below #35. There are actually 165 law schools below that mark. So, plenty of people get 150 somethings and go to law school.

Luckily for me, I'm an asshole like the rest of you/us. I was shocked at the people saying that 160 was an amazing score, etc.

But here's a Protip: A judge will knock the self-loving smile off your faces if you bring it into the courtroom. Don't forget that.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:48 pm

ccmbr006 wrote:It's like you guys deny the existence of schools ranked below #35. There are actually 165 law schools below that mark. So, plenty of people get 150 somethings and go to law school.

Luckily for me, I'm an asshole like the rest of you/us. I was shocked at the people saying that 160 was an amazing score, etc.

But here's a Protip: A judge will knock the self-loving smile off your faces if you bring it into the courtroom. Don't forget that.

Anyone who can't score above a 160 is objectively retarded.

FishOil

Postby FishOil » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:50 pm

ccmbr006 wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:

Girl 1 "I looked on Emory's website and they said they were accepting applications for 2014. That means they have a 3 year waiting list, JUST TO APPLY!"

Awesome!

This is hilarious. Better for you guys if these people end up matriculating into your sections, they'll probably end up helping your curve. haha.

BrownBears09 wrote:This thread reeks of undeserved elitism and an overvalued sense of self worth.

When did being realistic and well-prepared become elitism? Besides, you're dealing with a pretty elitist profession. Do some research.

It's like you guys deny the existence of schools ranked below #35. There are actually 165 law schools below that mark. So, plenty of people get 150 somethings and go to law school.

^Go away.

The two guys behind me were friends: "were gonna rock this!" ::High fives::

...both had at least 10 guesses (ex. all D's) at the end of each section :shock:

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:53 pm

ccmbr006 wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:

Awesome!

Yeah, but since of all of those law schools and another 15 to 20 besides are not worth the price of attendance for between 60 and 97% of their students, TLS will continue to be elitist.

FishOil

Postby FishOil » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Guy: "The curve is going to be -14, with a -8 to get a 175"

Me: "lol I hope"

Guy: "I Know"

Me: "huh?"

Guy: "I Know, my blueprint teacher told me." :shock:

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ccmbr006 wrote:It's like you guys deny the existence of schools ranked below #35. There are actually 165 law schools below that mark. So, plenty of people get 150 somethings and go to law school.

Lets go with 175. If you studied and scored below a 175 you should not be going to law school and you should not be posting on this thread. Just changing the degree of elitism Now a 179 needs to come and tell me to leave.

LawSuccess

Postby LawSuccess » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:56 pm

As soon as the test started, one of the proctors started walking around with his loud boots, saying, "Section 1, Section 1, you should be in Section 1. Turn to Section 1." He was so annoying, tapping his foot at various times and yelling out, "don't erase", etc.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:54 pm

LawSuccess wrote:As soon as the test started, one of the proctors started walking around with his loud boots, saying, "Section 1, Section 1, you should be in Section 1. Turn to Section 1." He was so annoying, tapping his foot at various times and yelling out, "don't erase", etc.

lol. why was he opposed to people erasing.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:58 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Lets go with 175. If you studied and scored below a 175 you should not be going to law school and you should not be posting on this thread. Just changing the degree of elitism Now a 179 needs to come and tell me to leave.

You asked for it
--ImageRemoved--

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:00 pm

just kidding you can stay :D just was too perfect
sorry... also sorry for apologizing- I cant help it lol

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:02 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:just kidding you can stay :D just was too perfect

You will be all alone,... you need a 178 hanging around to pick on every once in a while. 178= half retarded(cant tie shoelace/ drool)

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:06 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:just kidding you can stay :D just was too perfect

To bad your score wasn't. lol
No really though I was waiting for you, we need a 180 now.......

they should make a thread for only 180s

dzollman

Postby dzollman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:10 pm

A girl I knew from high school told me right before we went into the testing center that she didn't study for the test because law schools select people mostly based on extracurricular activities. I put up a half-hearted argument, telling her that GPA and LSAT mattered most but when she disagreed with me and wanted to know where I got my information I gave up and said "well, maybe"... knowing that she was completely and utterly FALSE!... I couldn't believe it, oh well I figure she will just help the curve in the end

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:12 pm

dzollman wrote:A girl I knew from high school told me right before we went into the testing center that she didn't study for the test because law schools select people mostly based on extracurricular activities. I put up a half-hearted argument, telling her that GPA and LSAT mattered most but when she disagreed with me and wanted to know where I got my information I gave up and said "well, maybe"... knowing that she was completely and utterly FALSE!... I couldn't believe it, oh well I figure she will just help the curve in the end

:( This story makes me sad.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”