Overheard at the LSAT

biladtreasure2

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby biladtreasure2 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:29 pm

justadude55 wrote:
kaftka juice wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:The guy next to me: "So, yea, I took the test before and I was pissed because I didn't score anywhere near my highest practice tests. I studied for a few months, took a Kaplan test, and I even came to this room and took PTs on Saturdays before the test under real conditions. I worked my ass off and I scored way below my top practice test score...so I decided to retake. But I've really worked my ass off this time...I took another Kaplan class too. I'm going to kick some ass today."

Me: "That sucks, what was the score that you were shooting for on your first attempt."

Guy next to me: "150-155"

what did you say to him? i think i would have a hard time disguising my "you should NOT be going to law school" look.

you realize this is the average person that takes the LSAT, right? don't be so snobby. maybe you'll be working for him someday.

and btw i never got a 150-150, or near there, on a practice test if that's what your thinking.

my whole pt is be proud you have a gift, but don't be a dick over it. if your goal is $ and power, keeping your pride to yourself will work much better for you. the dude has a goal. be supportive. social skills 101.

Um, your little story is inherently snobbish. It treats one's perception of 150-155 as a punchline. Outward snobbery was covered in 101, but snide comments and hubris is a more advanced course.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:24 pm

This thread is evidence to why we should all be grateful that we're on TLS. Don't tell me for two seconds any of you would switch spots with any of these people mentioned.

I feel bad for the poor buggers. I donno why ppl say "I just want a pass"...like what the fuck is a pass? Seriously. One guy forgot his admissions ticket and we were an hour late getting into our center. I felt so bad that I would have drove him if I had a better knowledge of the area. I tried to explain to one guy that the experimental section came within the first three and not to panic if he bombs one section but hope it shows back up in the later, fourth and fifth sections after the break. He couldn't understand this...and its not speaking to his character, but stuff like this makes me realize we are all much better off having access to this site.

I'm not a higher scorer (yet, I hope to be tho) but I knew the ins and outs of test day because of TLS. I was totally prepared, when I get my scores back I will have no non-LSAT related excuses (sleep, disorganized, misinformed, etc).

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:27 pm

biladtreasure2 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
kaftka juice wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:The guy next to me: "So, yea, I took the test before and I was pissed because I didn't score anywhere near my highest practice tests. I studied for a few months, took a Kaplan test, and I even came to this room and took PTs on Saturdays before the test under real conditions. I worked my ass off and I scored way below my top practice test score...so I decided to retake. But I've really worked my ass off this time...I took another Kaplan class too. I'm going to kick some ass today."

Me: "That sucks, what was the score that you were shooting for on your first attempt."

what did you say to him? i think i would have a hard time disguising my "you should NOT be going to law school" look.

you realize this is the average person that takes the LSAT, right? don't be so snobby. maybe you'll be working for him someday.

and btw i never got a 150-150, or near there, on a practice test if that's what your thinking.

my whole pt is be proud you have a gift, but don't be a dick over it. if your goal is $ and power, keeping your pride to yourself will work much better for you. the dude has a goal. be supportive. social skills 101.

Um, your little story is inherently snobbish. It treats one's perception of 150-155 as a punchline. Outward snobbery was covered in 101, but snide comments and hubris is a more advanced course.

Agreed. This really soils the lightheartedness of the thread.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:54 pm

This scrub next to me at the test looked really nervous and so I immediately asked him what his score was so I could judge his worth as a person. He replied back with some bs answer like "I've been studying really hard for the last few months and I've been scoring pretty good on some PT's" but I persisted and demanded a number so he told me he was averaging 178.

I was all like puh-leese, who are you? Elle Woods? I'll send you a postcard from Yale. If I didn't get a 180 I'm going to go play red rover in the middle of a NASCAR race.

mynjb26

Postby mynjb26 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Wow.

Last edited by mynjb26 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:21 pm

mynjb26 wrote:I believe the miners stuck in that mine shaft heard me laugh this one out!

They've actually been rescued now. Which is great news! We can't stand 3 weeks waiting for LSAT scores meanwhile those guys are stuck in a mine for 67 days.

mynjb26

Postby mynjb26 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:25 pm

I know! Three weeks is quite a long time. However, I do understand the logic behind the waiting period. Other than that, 67 days is amazing. At one point they were asking for Elvis music for one of the fellas who happened to be a fan. Judging from the media coverage, those guys seemed to form a pretty cohesive bond while down there.

AverageTutoring wrote:
mynjb26 wrote:I believe the miners stuck in that mine shaft heard me laugh this one out!

They've actually been rescued now. Which is great news! We can't stand 3 weeks waiting for LSAT scores meanwhile those guys are stuck in a mine for 67 days.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:48 pm

*insert groupthink joke here*

They managed to get through it pretty quickly, too. Of course, if they'd had that kind of care in mine upkeep in the first place...

regardless. 15 more days until scores!

mynjb26

Postby mynjb26 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:02 pm

lol

incompetentia wrote:*insert groupthink joke here*

They managed to get through it pretty quickly, too. Of course, if they'd had that kind of care in mine upkeep in the first place...

regardless. 15 more days until scores!

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:55 pm

Revival: Overheard but not at the LSAT

I went to a shit UG and in poli sci this guy who was always trying to be smart was talking about law school and the LSAT. He scored a 154 (which is nothing to laugh at) but he was like, "Dude, I didn't take a prep course but I did everything else. I took two full LSATs to prepare." Then he was like, "My GPA is a 3.8 though so I probably have a good shot at Georgetown and GW."

If it wasn't for top-law-schools, I'd probably be in the same boat. The interwebs are cool.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:54 am

Dripworx wrote:Also, Two typical Miami-Chonga girls were taking the test beside me, and I kept hearing them say "I just want like a 150" this made me feel a little better about myself, If I broke 167 on this test its bc of TLS I swear.

While I was studying for the LSAT last year a girl I (barely) knew was taking a Testmasters full course to prepare. At one point she said "If you don't get at least a 147, you won't get into Nova." I'm not trying to be mean but I was legitimately like :shock:

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:57 am

During the break, some girl tried to talk to me about whether or not she should write the writing section.... I just laughed but really I was suppressing the urge to spring away from her, separating her bad LSAC-rule breaking mojo from myself lol She clearly didn't know she was breaking rules

dccoope

Postby dccoope » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:37 pm

bump

Nothing noteworthy were I took the test.

bee's vision

Postby bee's vision » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:41 pm

"do you have a pencil I could borrow?" I gave him like 5.

KYExtemper

Postby KYExtemper » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Some guy had one of those devices that counts calories (pedometer or something like that) at my test center and had it taken away from him before the test. I didn't know you could keep time with one of those. Really nice guy. He just thought the only restriction was if it made noise or beeped.

SchopenhauerFTW

Re: .

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:54 pm

This isn't meant to be racist at all but...

Some black guy said he's re-taking the LSAT even though he got a 173 and he applied and got rejected from LSU, while his friend got a 136 and got in. He was basically telling everyone in the bathroom line that the LSAT "doesn't matter anyway" during break.

Normally, I'm not going to jump into a conversation and flat out call BS on a stranger in front of everyone but...I almost did.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:57 pm

bartleby wrote:This isn't meant to be racist at all but...

Some black guy said he's re-taking the LSAT even though he got a 173 and he applied and got rejected from LSU, while his friend got a 136 and got in. He was basically telling everyone in the bathroom line that the LSAT "doesn't matter anyway" during break.

Normally, I'm not going to jump into a conversation and flat out call BS on a stranger in front of everyone but...I almost did.

BlueFeathers

Postby BlueFeathers » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:01 pm

My room was so damn quiet and the proctors were lax. One guy asked "Can I wear earplugs" and the main proctor shrugged and nodded "Sure, if you have them you can wear them. Ear plugs are no problem."

WTF?

And one guy had his phone but he was being all chatty with one proctor so she took it and love tapped him on the shoulder and walked away giggling.

cardinals03

Postby cardinals03 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Luckily, the below did not end up in my testing room.

Girl 1 - how many practice tests did you take?
Girl 2 - Girl, you mean you can practice for this??

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:11 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:

I don't understand, if I said, "some white guy" instead, would you be on my case? Maybe I should have said... A gentleman that was an African American.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:18 pm

bartleby wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:

I don't understand, if I said, "some white guy" instead, would you be on my case? Maybe I should have said... A gentleman that was an African American.

I think you're supposed to say "some guy" 'cause the adjective isn't necessary

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:23 pm

gens1tb wrote:
bartleby wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:

Yeah. But now I want to know how that 136 dude got in!
Also, I think you should have called him out. Kinda reckless for him to say something like that.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:29 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
gens1tb wrote:
bartleby wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:

Yeah. But now I want to know how that 136 dude got in!
Also, I think you should have called him out. Kinda reckless for him to say something like that.

Can't blame a man for trying to boost the curve.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:30 pm

If you're dumb enough to let some guy at a urinal convince you that the test you're both taking is meaningless you probably weren't gonna hurt the curve anyway.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”