Overheard at the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:25 pm

rso11 wrote:
tazmolover wrote:
By what you're saying, it seems like you're implying that there's something inherently more intelligent in pursuing a degree in mathematics, or medicine, or another field more typical of asians to pursue. But there isn't, so I don't believe your implication is correct.
Anyway, I've lived in Asia for a long time. I see lots of asians all the time. I have private students who are engineers. One of my students, a really good example of what I'm trying to get across, went to Kaist. If you're Korean you've probably heard of it. It's the top technical college in Korea. He is constantly impressed by the verbal abilities of the lawyers, Korean and non-Korean, he needs to collaborate with on group projects. And he's the lead engineer for a team of engineers working for LG. He would disagree with you, and so do I.
There are no dumb doctors.

There are many dumb lawyers.

Anyways this argument is silly. I was just working the whole Asian culture thing - something I grasp much better than you.

Stop taking everything so literally.
You telling me you've never had a completely incompetent doc? Whom you looked at and thought: how the hell did you get through med school, you moron?? Lucky you. haha
What do you call someone who graduated at the bottom of their class in med school?
A doctor.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that the doctor in question is dumb.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:27 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
rso11 wrote:
tazmolover wrote:
By what you're saying, it seems like you're implying that there's something inherently more intelligent in pursuing a degree in mathematics, or medicine, or another field more typical of asians to pursue. But there isn't, so I don't believe your implication is correct.
Anyway, I've lived in Asia for a long time. I see lots of asians all the time. I have private students who are engineers. One of my students, a really good example of what I'm trying to get across, went to Kaist. If you're Korean you've probably heard of it. It's the top technical college in Korea. He is constantly impressed by the verbal abilities of the lawyers, Korean and non-Korean, he needs to collaborate with on group projects. And he's the lead engineer for a team of engineers working for LG. He would disagree with you, and so do I.
There are no dumb doctors.

Anyways this argument is silly. I was just working the whole Asian culture thing - something I grasp much better than you.

Stop taking everything so literally.
You telling me you've never had a completely incompetent doc? Whom you looked at and thought: how the hell did you get through med school, you moron?? Lucky you. haha
What do you call someone who graduated at the bottom of their class in med school?
A doctor.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that the doctor in question is dumb.
Sometimes it's the one at the top of the class.

longdaysjourney

Bronze

Post by longdaysjourney » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:48 pm

tazmolover wrote: There are no dumb doctors.

facepalm

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:07 pm

A cell phone started vibrating from somewhere in the room. No one did anything, including the proctor. I am actually glad: a few vibrates were far less distracting than the proctor removing someone from the test would have been. An old man kept yelling "PROCTOR, SPEAK UP" during the various directions, which was more comedic than distracting.

I fear I may have been the distraction, as I had to leave to take a piss twice (4 cups of coffee on 5 hours of sleep). Luckily I had been taking PT's with 30:00 minute sections, which proved invaluable! I finished the section with three minutes remaining, asked to use the rest room, booked it down the hall as fast as I could, relieved myself, and returned with 30 seconds remaining in the section.

I really think that 30:00 minute practice saved my ass on this one, it helped my pacing more than I could have ever guessed. I highly recommend this strategy to anyone who is about to take the lsat, it sucks at first, but you reap the rewards on game day.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:10 pm

nStiver wrote: I really think that 30:00 minute practice saved my ass on this one, it helped my pacing more than I could have ever guessed. I highly recommend this strategy to anyone who is about to take the lsat, it sucks at first, but you reap the rewards on game day.
I strongly second that. I did 5 or 6 30-minute tests the week leading up the the LSAT. It helped alot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:13 pm

minnbills wrote:Yeah I don't know if I've ever been in such a 'serious' environment before. I chatted with one guy afterwards but nobody and I mean NOBODY exchanged any sort of words/pleasantries etc. through the ordeal. Very strange.
Ya I had the same experience; people were icy cold to each other. I even chatted up this dude from my class, and we got to talking about the test etc. Somehow it came out that this was my 3rd time taking the test, and that I got a 164 back in February. When he heard this he got all weird and was like "well why are you retaking then?". It was like he resented me for it or something.

CDiggy

New

Post by CDiggy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:58 pm

I arrived early around 7:45 at Cal State Univ Northridge. At 8 a woman drunk with power came with a Mega Phone, yes a Mega Phone and started yelling directions and instructions.

She said, "that we would have to walk up 4 flights of stairs to our test rooms, so we would be getting both a physical and mental work out today"

Shut the fuuuuuuuu*k up b*tch

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Right before we started when the proctor asked if there were any questions, one girl raised her hand and asked, "so when exactly are supposed to start? Like when you start talking, or when you say turn the page, or whn you say 'go'? Because last time I took the test the proctor was like, 'please turn the page, read the directions, and begin now,' and it really confused me on when exactly I could start."

The proctor responded with a somewhat perplexed, "are you serious" face, and said, "when I tell you to turn the page etc., begin when I say NOW. Does that answer your question? If you started when I said to turn the page though it wouldn't be that big of a deal, its not like the three seconds it takes me to say the rest will make any difference."

Also, during the break, myself and another guy (guy #1) who were well prepared and had been talking before check in got to talking to another guy (guy #2) and girl:

Guy #1: (to me, the other two overheard us) So I think it's going really well, if it keeps up like this I should be in the high 160's at least. Finished each section with between 2 and 5 minutes to spare.
Guy #2: Seriously dude?!? (laughs) I've been getting to about just over half when they give the five minute warning, and I end up answering about 15 or 16.
Girl: Yeah, that's really impressive, I've had to completely guess on about the last 6 or 7 of each section. I didn't know if there was any strategy to guessing so I just went A,B,C,D,E in order.
Guy #1: Im sorry, that really sucks, but this guy (pointing to me) got to all of them too.
Girl: Wow, well I hope there aren't many people like you guys taking the test.

At which point me and my buddy give each other a look like "well we hope there are a ton of people like you two taking the test." Not to be dicks or anyhing, bc I don't want to wish misfortune on anyone, but with a curved test you have to hope others bomb to a certain extent

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:38 pm

ausoccer19 wrote: Not to be dicks or anyhing, bc I don't want to wish misfortune on anyone, but with a curved test you have to hope others bomb to a certain extent
Or rather hope that people who had the sections you had as experimetal sections before bombed them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CDiggy

New

Post by CDiggy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Hmm, so do you think the economy plays a roll in the curve? More people may opt to take the test without any preparation because they have no other options as far as: school, work, etc.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:57 pm

ya, supposedly the curve is already made by the way people did when the sections were experimental.

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Or rather hope that people who had the sections you had as experimetal sections before bombed them.
True, fair point, but you get what I was aiming for

marsilni

New

Post by marsilni » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:01 pm

CDiggy wrote:Hmm, so do you think the economy plays a roll in the curve? More people may opt to take the test without any preparation because they have no other options as far as: school, work, etc.
Damn good point. I hope they outweigh the heavy hitters and those who may have had nothing else to do but study because they are unemployed, and that's no disrespect to those without a job, it's just that you would have a lot of time on your hands if you were not working full-time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CDiggy

New

Post by CDiggy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:10 pm

marsilni wrote:
CDiggy wrote:Hmm, so do you think the economy plays a roll in the curve? More people may opt to take the test without any preparation because they have no other options as far as: school, work, etc.
Damn good point. I hope they outweigh the heavy hitters and those who may have had nothing else to do but study because they are unemployed, and that's no disrespect to those without a job, it's just that you would have a lot of time on your hands if you were not working full-time.
Well the curves from the Sept 09' , Dec 09' and June 10'. Respectively are:-10, -13, -13

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:15 pm

CDiggy wrote:Well the curves from the Sept 09' , Dec 09' and June 10'. Respectively are:-10, -13, -13
Is it impressive in a strange way that you managed to get none of these right? No, it's just sort of pathetic.

Sept 09' , Dec 09' and June 10' respectively are:-11, -14, -12

CDiggy

New

Post by CDiggy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:19 pm

St.Remy wrote:
CDiggy wrote:Well the curves from the Sept 09' , Dec 09' and June 10'. Respectively are:-10, -13, -13
Is it impressive in a strange way that you managed to get none of these right? No, it's just sort of pathetic.

I thought the curves were the number of questions you could get wrong to get a 170?

CDiggy

New

Post by CDiggy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:23 pm

CDiggy wrote:
St.Remy wrote:

I thought the curves were the number of questions you could get wrong to get a 170?
Ya your right, my bad

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tainted_Praise

Bronze

Post by Tainted_Praise » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:06 pm

CDiggy wrote:I arrived early around 7:45 at Cal State Univ Northridge. At 8 a woman drunk with power came with a Mega Phone, yes a Mega Phone and started yelling directions and instructions.

She said, "that we would have to walk up 4 flights of stairs to our test rooms, so we would be getting both a physical and mental work out today"

Shut the fuuuuuuuu*k up b*tch

A megaphone? Seriously? These effing proctors need to chill the eff out... Seriously... It's just not that serious... They're not the ones actually going to law school. Smfh.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:12 pm

My proctor was really nice, and we actually had a nice conversation during the break.

freon

New

Post by freon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:52 am

Last edited by freon on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinkFloydPerson

New

Post by PinkFloydPerson » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:24 am

Took the test in the very room of my favorite class in undergrad called the religions of ancient Israel.
Mythical powers were looking over me, even that can't escape the logic of Gregory Peck

Leaving the test, walking to car:

Dude: So how did you do?
Self: I think ok. Timelimits got me on a section or two.
Self: Which was your experimental section?
*non-important interlude*
Dude: It's okay, don't worry, they only score 3 sections.
Self: Really, I'm pretty sure it's 4.
Dude: Well, I'M pretty sure.
Rinse and Repeat..
Sigh..
Last edited by PinkFloydPerson on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hijoma

New

Post by hijoma » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:31 am

shinyusername wrote:One proctor, after droning on for 5 minutes, paused in the middle of the 'prohibited items/electronics' section, looked at the other proctor, and said, "Really?" Other proctor made him continue.

Proctor also stumbled on his reading, saying, "[Some rule stuff here blah blah] page break to the next page --- wait, that doesn't make sense." Then he read it all over again and continued to the next page.

Everyone in the room had finished writing out the certification/authentication statement except for one woman....who had her test booklet open:
Proctor: Ma'am you cannot have your test booklet open.
Ma'am: *unaware*
Proctor: Ma'am, close your booklet now. ... Ma'am, your booklet.
Ma'am: *looks up* Oh, oh... *closes booklet* So we just fill out this thing here...? *pointing to answer sheet*
Proctor: ....yes.
We all wait a few minutes. Proctor debates whether to start reading even though he knows Ma'am's not done.
Proctor: Uh... okay everyone that's done filling that out, please raise your hand. *stares at Ma'am*
Everyone but Ma'am raises hand. Everyone but Ma'am has silent eye-conversation. Proctor starts reading.
It's pretty incredible that I read this and identified it as the room in which I tested. Fortunately, I'm not "the Ma'am." This poster's description is dead on.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:15 am

I took it in Hong Kong, and it was a little disconcerting to see the proctors talking to everyone but me and the handful of other Caucasians in Cantonese. They spoke English, but when asked individual questions they used a mutual native language. Which makes sense, but it was odd. The directions were all in vehement English like:

"Stop! Putyourpencildownlookatme! Donotworkonsectiontwo! Turntosectiontwo! Youcanbeginnowgo!"

The head proctor was a bit of a good, though:

Proctor: If you have food or drink under your chair, it is prohibited [interesting conditional, in retrospect]. You must put it on the other side of the room with your bags.
*90% of test takers leap up and go to stow their water and snack*
Me: Excuse me...we're allowed to have water in the clear bag for the break. And we can't access our bags during the break.
Him: Oh really? *thumbs through rules. everyone is returning to their seats*
Him: Hmmmm. Can you show me?
Me: *takes and scans rule book * Here you go.
Him: Oh, great. Thanks! To room: You are allowed to have snack and beverage in your clear bag under your chair. Please note you will NOT be allowed to access your other bags during the break.
* Loud unison sigh as 90% of the room heaves themselves up to retrieve snack *
Random #1: That was nice of you thanks.
Random #2: Why did you challenge the proctor like that? *scared face*

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:35 am

Man, kids these days

kikij3032

New

Post by kikij3032 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:55 am

kaftka juice wrote:I saw a few posts in the Oct. LSAT reactions thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread. What were the most amusing things you overheard other LSAT takers say?

Girl 1: "I studied for, like, and hour a day for, like, two whole weeks!"
Girl 2: "Whoa."

I was Girl 2 in that situation last Saturday. This girl was on her third LSAT...if she hadn't understood by then that she needed to do more than "glance over" everything....I just don't know. Crazy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”