Overheard at the LSAT

User avatar
Big Red
Posts: 3010
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Big Red » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:57 am

I've pretty much got nothing, though a dude behind me was outlining his path from law school to becoming a sports agent.

dearryka
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:27 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby dearryka » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:19 am

Nothing too weird at my TC. The girl next to me had an abnormally high ponytail and every time she moved her head it moved all wonky. It was a bit distracting seeing all that bobbling out of the corner of my eye every 2 minutes.

User avatar
naschkatze
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby naschkatze » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:36 am

Danger Zone wrote:Hey can I borrow a pencil?

NO I SHARPENED ALL OF THESE FOR ME, ME I TELLS YA. KEEP YOUR FINGERS OFF MY TICONDEROGAS


Favorite quote from this thread.

Also may I add the guy next to me kept clicking his mouth and the proctors kept chatting and texting at the front... Smh. Thank god I was able to smoke during the break

User avatar
RCSOB657
Posts: 2272
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby RCSOB657 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:22 am

schmelling wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:
schmelling wrote:Unusual, why is hand sanitizer useless?


Schmell!! Mainly because it kills only the "weak" bacteria, and then the strong bacteria basically have a big frat party/orgy and that results in "Super Bug" progeny, bc only the "fittest" were able to reproduce...etc. etc. that's the gist of it though...warm-hot water and soap is your best friend for fighting germs :wink:


This is what I thought. I'll stick with sanitizer. I like to feel like I'm taking part in bacterial eugenics.


Similarly, I'd suggest never using hand blow dryers for the same reason. They are typically never cleaned after installation and are perfect incubators. You just washed your hands why would you then blow millions of bacteria back on them.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:31 am

RCSOB657 wrote:
schmelling wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:
schmelling wrote:Unusual, why is hand sanitizer useless?


Schmell!! Mainly because it kills only the "weak" bacteria, and then the strong bacteria basically have a big frat party/orgy and that results in "Super Bug" progeny, bc only the "fittest" were able to reproduce...etc. etc. that's the gist of it though...warm-hot water and soap is your best friend for fighting germs :wink:


This is what I thought. I'll stick with sanitizer. I like to feel like I'm taking part in bacterial eugenics.


Similarly, I'd suggest never using hand blow dryers for the same reason. They are typically never cleaned after installation and are perfect incubators. You just washed your hands why would you then blow millions of bacteria back on them.


Hadn't thought about the blow dryers, but hand sanitizer doesn't contribute to "super bugs". The alcohol in hand sanitizer immediately destroys the cell membrane and denatures the proteins inside the cell, killing it. The bacteria/viruses that survive only survive because they accidentally avoid exposure to the alcohol, not because they were any stronger than the others.

Trying to breed super bugs by exposing a population of bacteria to hand sanitizer would be like trying to breed fire-resistant houseflies by torching a bunch of them with a flamethrower and then breeding the ones lucky enough to not get burnt..

User avatar
justabitunusual
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby justabitunusual » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:09 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Hadn't thought about the blow dryers, but hand sanitizer doesn't contribute to "super bugs". The alcohol in hand sanitizer immediately destroys the cell membrane and denatures the proteins inside the cell, killing it. The bacteria/viruses that survive only survive because they accidentally avoid exposure to the alcohol, not because they were any stronger than the others.

Trying to breed super bugs by exposing a population of bacteria to hand sanitizer would be like trying to breed fire-resistant houseflies by torching a bunch of them with a flamethrower and then breeding the ones lucky enough to not get burnt..


I had not thought ab the blow dryers either...although I have always preferred paper to them anyway (if available)...lol...as far as what you're saying I can see what you mean and see where it would make sense. I initially heard of the "sanitizer breeding super bugs" theory from one of my microbiology professors, and her take on it was similar to this guy's... (although w what you're saying ab alcohol you may discount this)

Simple evolution. If a sanitizer kills 99% of all germs it comes into contact with, the 1% that survive either got lucky, were immune or were partially immune to the sanitizer. The 1% then, are the only germs to to thrive and replicate, and their partial or total immunity will tend to dominate the next generation of germs.

You can model this pretty easily either with a mathematical model or a physical model. For instance, let's say you have a bunch of black and white marbles. Put 10 of each into a container. They represent your current germ population. Now, put an additional 10 of each into the bag... the population has just grown. Now to simulate the sanitizer, reach into the bag without looking, and pull out a handful... say 10 marbles. Remove the white ones (the sanitizer killed them), and put the black ones back into the bag. Next, count all the black and white marbles in the bag, and add a like amount of each to the bag. A new generation has been "born," and you no longer have the same number of black and white marbles... both will have increased, but there will be more black than white. Again, reach in and pull out a handful of 10. Again discard any white you pulled, and put the black back in the bag. Repeat the "growth" phase by counting each type and adding in a like amount again. Over time, as long as you kill off some of the white marbles each generation, the black marbles will come to dominate the bag.
...found here: http://www.quora.com/How-does-the-over-prescription-of-antibiotics-by-doctors-and-the-proliferation-of-hand-sanitizer-breed-super-bugs-in-the-First-World

Other things to consider:
Most hand sanitizers are alcohol based, not all are- then you have to distinguish between 60% or more alcohol content and less than that to determine efficacy.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:07 pm

Yeah, the quoted description is definitely how it works with antibiotics - some cells are already more resistant than others, and the ones that survive the antibiotic can actually increase their resistance to future exposures. But there's no "immune" or "partially immune" like he talks about when it comes to alcohol; it's a purely mechanical process. The ones that survived just didn't get hit with the alcohol.

User avatar
telbo340
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby telbo340 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:28 am

naschkatze wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Hey can I borrow a pencil?

NO I SHARPENED ALL OF THESE FOR ME, ME I TELLS YA. KEEP YOUR FINGERS OFF MY TICONDEROGAS


Favorite quote from this thread.

Also may I add the guy next to me kept clicking his mouth and the proctors kept chatting and texting at the front... Smh. Thank god I was able to smoke during the break


I also had a texting proctor...not even on silent. The whole time.

On my retake the kid next to me didn't bring pencils

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:46 am

I need to proctor a test so I can add more to this thread.

User avatar
EnderWiggin
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:55 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby EnderWiggin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:06 pm

bumping for june '15

User avatar
Dcc617
Posts: 1480
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Dcc617 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:10 am

Not a big poster here but I have a really odd story. While the instructions were being read I looked over at the guy next to me and saw that he was holding one of his big pink erasers up to his face. Without looking around or anything, he took a big bite of it.

Over the course of the first three sections I guess he ate the whole thing, because after the break I saw he had another unbitten one on his desk. And as soon as section 4 started he took a big bite out of that one.

I guess he was trying to get around the no chewing on gum thing? He seemed pretty confident so I guess it was working.

User avatar
NoBladesNoBows
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Not a big poster here but I have a really odd story. While the instructions were being read I looked over at the guy next to me and saw that he was holding one of his big pink erasers up to his face. Without looking around or anything, he took a big bite of it.

Over the course of the first three sections I guess he ate the whole thing, because after the break I saw he had another unbitten one on his desk. And as soon as section 4 started he took a big bite out of that one.

I guess he was trying to get around the no chewing on gum thing? He seemed pretty confident so I guess it was working.


179

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Username123 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:43 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Not a big poster here but I have a really odd story. While the instructions were being read I looked over at the guy next to me and saw that he was holding one of his big pink erasers up to his face. Without looking around or anything, he took a big bite of it.

Over the course of the first three sections I guess he ate the whole thing, because after the break I saw he had another unbitten one on his desk. And as soon as section 4 started he took a big bite out of that one.

I guess he was trying to get around the no chewing on gum thing? He seemed pretty confident so I guess it was working.


lolol this is great

dude took a hit of acid pre-LSAT. Bold move, Cotton.

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby foundingfather » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:01 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Not a big poster here but I have a really odd story. While the instructions were being read I looked over at the guy next to me and saw that he was holding one of his big pink erasers up to his face. Without looking around or anything, he took a big bite of it.

Over the course of the first three sections I guess he ate the whole thing, because after the break I saw he had another unbitten one on his desk. And as soon as section 4 started he took a big bite out of that one.

I guess he was trying to get around the no chewing on gum thing? He seemed pretty confident so I guess it was working.


what in the actual fuck. and i thought i was weird

User avatar
whacka
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby whacka » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:16 pm

.
Last edited by whacka on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:46 am

Dcc617 wrote:Not a big poster here but I have a really odd story. While the instructions were being read I looked over at the guy next to me and saw that he was holding one of his big pink erasers up to his face. Without looking around or anything, he took a big bite of it.

Over the course of the first three sections I guess he ate the whole thing, because after the break I saw he had another unbitten one on his desk. And as soon as section 4 started he took a big bite out of that one.

I guess he was trying to get around the no chewing on gum thing? He seemed pretty confident so I guess it was working.

I lol'd

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby chuckbass » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:08 am

I wonder if this will be his approach to law school exams

msp8
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby msp8 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:38 pm

.
Last edited by msp8 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jumbo2016
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby jumbo2016 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:41 pm

Not really overheard but before the test I was sitting on the floor across from the hall to the bathroom. They were single person bathrooms and if you locked the door it changed from vacant to occupied. The men's was straight down the hall and I saw no less than 6 guys get walked in on. One guy got walked in on twice.

User avatar
Oskosh
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Oskosh » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:25 pm

Nothing too abnormal in my testing center. There was one very obnoxious guy who was "very behind on the instructions," and insisted that the proctor slow down and not rush him. Another girl misread the LSAC fine print and brought nothing but mechanical pencils, and to score karma points (fingers crossed), I let her borrow three of mine and a large eraser.

User avatar
ReasonableNprudent
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:39 pm

Woman: "I don't really need to do well. I work with some attorney's and they tell me if I can just get into any law school I'll be just fine."
Me: "Did you do any practice tests"?
Woman: "A couple. My best was a 136."

Another older woman clarified the instructions in detail, multiple times, on how to fill out the cancellation section. She even got help.
After it was said in done she was like "oh, that was to cancel"?

User avatar
Applesauce11
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Applesauce11 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:55 pm

At my test center, our proctor before handing out the test booklets announced that if anyone had a phone on them, they had one last chance to run to their car and get rid of it. One guy jumped up and ran to his car, yelling pretty loudly that he had a phone and made a big show of running out to his car and back.

After we got the test booklets, a guy in a suit sauntered up to the proctor and told her he had a phone and was going to put it in his car. She told him he was dismissed, but he smirked at her and said he hadn't heard her say no cellphones and that he was just going to go to his car. While he was gone the proctor called LSAC who confirmed that he had to leave. When he came back the guy got in the proctor's face and accused her of not letting him speak to the LSAC to explain his side of the story. I was a little afraid for her as he put his hands on her desk and was leaning over her. This went on for several minutes before he finally gave up and left- leaving all of his stuff, so we had to wait for him to come back before we could start the test.

It turned out that he had brought along with the phone a giant red notebook stuffed with papers- so even if he really didn't know about the no phone rule, he was still probably attempting to cheat. After he was finally gone, the proctor looked at us, smiled, and said, "We have one of those every five years."

User avatar
scalawag
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby scalawag » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:13 pm

kaftka juice wrote:
what did you say to him? i think i would have a hard time disguising my "you should NOT be going to law school" look.



I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and except the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

Basically the LSAT is a tool to get a scholarship, or to get into a cheaper school, or a school that will poise you for big law.

My cousin had trouble getting into a third-tier school because of his LSAT score. With perseverance it happened, and he gained experience at a small practice, before joining a big firm as an associate and making partner.

The LSAT has very little to do with what kind of lawyer you will be (within reason). Once you hit a certain number in the curve you have enough intelligence to get through law school (and I think most people of average intelligence can get through it). There are great law students (who had great LSATs) who are shit lawyers.
Last edited by scalawag on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:15 pm

scalawag wrote:
kaftka juice wrote:
what did you say to him? i think i would have a hard time disguising my "you should NOT be going to law school" look.



I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and except the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

Basically I guess what I'm trying to say is the LSAT is a tool to get a scholarship, or to get into a cheaper school, or a school that will poise you for big law.

My cousin had trouble getting into a third-tier school because of his LSAT score. With perseverance it happened, and he gained experience at a small practice, before joining a big firm as an associate and making partner.

The LSAT has very little to do with what kind of lawyer you will be (within reason). Once you hit a certain number in the curve you have enough intelligence to get through law school (and I think most people of average intelligence can get through it). There are great law students (who had great LSATs) who are shit lawyers.

Is this English




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kindofcanuck and 8 guests