Overheard at the LSAT

ookoshi

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby ookoshi » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:31 am

midwest17 wrote:If he had accommodations his score would have been flagged, which makes it non-reportable, and therefore made it less helpful for him in getting into schools.

What gets reported only changes if the accommodations include giving the tester extra time during sections. Accommodations like "I need a wheelchair accessible testing location" do not change what gets reported.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:14 pm

ookoshi wrote:
midwest17 wrote:If he had accommodations his score would have been flagged, which makes it non-reportable, and therefore made it less helpful for him in getting into schools.

What gets reported only changes if the accommodations include giving the tester extra time during sections. Accommodations like "I need a wheelchair accessible testing location" do not change what gets reported.

I believe being put in a room by yourself will get reported, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:17 pm

fnma2jd wrote:During mine a lady put her head down about half way into LR2 and then started snoring a few minutes later. The proctor was nice about it, almost like she felt bad for the lady. The lady just was like "oh sorry, sleep apnea."

Lol this is hilarious to me, because the woman straight made that shit up... Sleep apnea is a disorder where, during regular sleep, you have pauses in breathing.... It's not friggin' narcolepsy :-P

Christine (MLSAT)

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:52 pm

zhenders wrote:
fnma2jd wrote:During mine a lady put her head down about half way into LR2 and then started snoring a few minutes later. The proctor was nice about it, almost like she felt bad for the lady. The lady just was like "oh sorry, sleep apnea."

Lol this is hilarious to me, because the woman straight made that shit up... Sleep apnea is a disorder where, during regular sleep, you have pauses in breathing.... It's not friggin' narcolepsy :-P

I mean - because it interrupts your regular sleep it can make you pretty tired during the day I guess, but how tired would you have to be to decide in the middle of the LSAT "hmmm, feeling a bit drained, I think I could really benefit from a quick power nap!"

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:18 am

Christine (MLSAT) wrote:
zhenders wrote:

I mean - because it interrupts your regular sleep it can make you pretty tired during the day I guess, but how tired would you have to be to decide in the middle of the LSAT "hmmm, feeling a bit drained, I think I could really benefit from a quick power nap!"
i fell asleep during one of my SAT 2s. Still finished. Its was just SO boring.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:30 am

zhenders wrote:

she was probably apologizing for disruptively snoring, a common symptom of sleep apnea....

LcarpetronD543

Postby LcarpetronD543 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:20 pm

"Yeah I haven't really studied at all. I'm kind of a last minute person. I'll probably just google the questions to see what they're like on Friday."

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:24 am

LcarpetronD543 wrote:"Yeah I haven't really studied at all. I'm kind of a last minute person. I'll probably just google the questions to see what they're like on Friday."

99th percentile diagnostic-er for sure.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:30 am

cloy26 wrote:
LcarpetronD543 wrote:"Yeah I haven't really studied at all. I'm kind of a last minute person. I'll probably just google the questions to see what they're like on Friday."

I wonder if people that do shiTTT for prep, actually do well...

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:15 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
cloy26 wrote:

I had couple of friends who skimmed powerscore like a week or two prior to the test and got mid to high 170s. These people have been "studying" for the LSAT throughout their life, they are habitual readers and highly critical thinkers.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:26 pm

jimmierock wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
cloy26 wrote:

I had couple of friends who skimmed powerscore like a week or two prior to the test and got mid to high 170s. These people have been "studying" for the LSAT throughout their life, they are habitual readers and highly critical thinkers.

I don't know. Props to them but I don't believe in the 'they've been studying for the LSAT throughout their life" line. There are still many idiosyncrasies you have to contend with. I know you put studying in quotes and so perhaps you think something similar. I tend to think there's some natural, more innate ability there that only grew even more due to all the LSAT-like stuff they've done in their lives.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:28 pm

jimmierock wrote:I had couple of friends who skimmed powerscore like a week or two prior to the test and got mid to high 170s. These people have been "studying" for the LSAT throughout their life, they are habitual readers and highly critical thinkers.

Fair enough, I could see some one unwittingly putting in the work their whole life by learning how to read for structure and being able to disect the reasoning in arguments through UG education or personal intrigue, etc. I'm guessing it's harder for people like your friends to go in blind on games though? That's a beast of it's own without the practice reps.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:46 pm

I have a close friend who took the LSAT on short notice and ripped a 178 or 179. Her prep was about two or three weeks with a Barron's/Princeton Review-type book. This was back in ~2000, so the quality & availability of prep material wasn't equal to what we have today. She went to FSU with a full ride and has been a Navy JAG for the past ten years. She's also gotten an LLM, so I think she'll do okay when she gets out.

MAcc2007

Postby MAcc2007 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Otunga wrote:
jimmierock wrote:I had couple of friends who skimmed powerscore like a week or two prior to the test and got mid to high 170s. These people have been "studying" for the LSAT throughout their life, they are habitual readers and highly critical thinkers.

I don't know. Props to them but I don't believe in the 'they've been studying for the LSAT throughout their life" line. There are still many idiosyncrasies you have to contend with. I know you put studying in quotes and so perhaps you think something similar. I tend to think there's some natural, more innate ability there that only grew even more due to all the LSAT-like stuff they've done in their lives.

I agree that there are elements that must be dealt with beyond the "prepare for your whole life." However, I get the statement that preparing your whole life yields those results. Often, not always, people who score that highly are those who participated in a lot of challenging extracurriculars and spent a lot of time thinking critically well before they even considered taking the LSAT. Those people usually took previous tests very seriously and focused on tasks before. It is very rare that someone will be so intelligent that success on a test like the LSAT will be the result of pure intelligence.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:34 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:FWIW
For the Oct test I studied exclusively in a library (PTing ~167) and when I actually sat for the test, mentally I felt like sitting in the middle of Grand Central Station having to re-read a lot of the stims, games, ect. Ended up getting a 160. For December I read PS bibles and MLSAT in the library, then would drill and did PTs in Starbucks and although it sucked at first, I ened up PTing ~172. when I sat for Dec my mind felt so clear and I felt so much more concentrated. Granted I don't know my score, but I definitely felt studying in busy places was a helpful study tactic and made a world of difference for me and I know I scored a lot closer to my PT average.

let us know what you get, so we know if it helped or not.

Copped a 169. Studying in a Starbucks helped me for sure.

finnandjake2

Postby finnandjake2 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:16 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:FWIW
For the Oct test I studied exclusively in a library (PTing ~167) and when I actually sat for the test, mentally I felt like sitting in the middle of Grand Central Station having to re-read a lot of the stims, games, ect. Ended up getting a 160. For December I read PS bibles and MLSAT in the library, then would drill and did PTs in Starbucks and although it sucked at first, I ened up PTing ~172. when I sat for Dec my mind felt so clear and I felt so much more concentrated. Granted I don't know my score, but I definitely felt studying in busy places was a helpful study tactic and made a world of difference for me and I know I scored a lot closer to my PT average.

let us know what you get, so we know if it helped or not.

Copped a 169. Studying in a Starbucks helped me for sure.

Congrats! I would second this advice. I took a few PT's in coffee shops and it definitely helped me prepare for worst case scenarios come test day. It's good to practice on your focus while distractions are around you because you never know exactly what your test center situation will be like. (As evidenced by this thread.)

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:17 pm

JustHawkin wrote:Copped a 169.

ooooohhh, sorry

Postby 10052014 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:13 am

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:34 pm

"I totally want to go to XXXXXXXX (worst law school in the state, unranked). I am going to be such a lawyer"

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 pm

This isn't really overheard, but the 60+ year old woman sitting next to me was rocking black ticons and a 180 watch. I hope she killed it.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 pm

"I studied for this maybe 7 or 8 hours a day. I'm really well prepared"

*brings mechanical pencils to test*

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:52 pm

xylocarp wrote:This isn't really overheard, but the 60+ year old woman sitting next to me was rocking black ticons and a 180 watch. I hope she killed it.

There were quite a few older women at my testing center but none came with TLS-approved anything.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Today there were only 60 candidates at my testing center. A drop from 500 last February, per our proctor. Crazy!

haus

Postby haus » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:10 pm

Nothing much interesting overheard, but on way to check in for LSAT at American U, I notices a sign inviting people to come and learn how to utilize their JD outside of the field of law.

ballsoharduniversity

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:13 pm

haus wrote:Nothing much interesting overheard, but on way to check in for LSAT at American U, I notices a sign inviting people to come and learn how to utilize their JD outside of the field of law.

I took the test today at AU too!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”