Overheard at the LSAT

pin_s

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby pin_s » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:59 am

i didn't have time to overhear the entertaining musings from the masses. taking the test in an international city i had never been before, it never crossed my mind that the university listed on my ticket might have multiple campuses. i showed up to the wrong location at 1:00, an hour before the test started. i leisurley moseyed around asking non-english speakers to direct me to the testing room for about 30 minutes, not even considering that I might be at the wrong place. at around 1:30, i had a stranger point out my stupidity after he pulled up the right location on google maps. not having a car and not knowing the layout of the city whatsoever, i almost decided to throw in the towel and hit the bars early. but given that i had already put so much time and money into this day, i convinced myself to try and make it. unfortunately, i was in the boondocks and there was no chance of me catching a cab. so after taking 10-20 seconds to memorize the route as best as i could (to a location 10 miles away), i sprinted to the train station, hopping on the train seconds before it departed. i arrived to the station nearest the test center at around 1:55 and then usain bolted in what i could only hope was the right direction. by the grace of some higher authority, i found the right street and address a kilometer away. after one final scramble around the test building, i located the room where the test was being administered. throwing open the doors, i interrupted the proctor right before she was about to pass out the test. i felt smug as fuck knowing that i had just managed the near impossible a few minutes later when I was able to catch my breath and the info bubbling began.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:21 pm

drevo wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:It's really surprising how many people are still clueless about this. At my test center, people were shocked that I was a 4th time taker and that I would retake a 163 because "that's such a good score." A few people I talked to wanted 150. This middle aged woman just wanted a 155 so she can attend the local TTTT. I live in Cali.

It blows me away that people are still clueless as they are taking the LSAT. I have mentioned law school for years to my parents and family and even if I never once read a newspaper or news site I would have been well informed to the shittiness of the legal field. I have been sent plenty of articles from my dad and others about how majority of law school grads are shit out of luck job wise. And this was long before I even had decided I was going to take the LSAT and actually go to law school. I just don't get how people can be so ignorant to the world around them. The terrible investment that is most law schools has been well publicized outside of just legal communities.

This middle aged woman wanted to leave her job at a car dealership to attend TriniTTTTy. She was just hoping to break 150. She had a 4.0. I told her she should aim higher. I told her if she gets an middle 150 score, she'd be in for a full ride at Loyola. If she hits the 160s, I told her maybe USC/UCLA.

She asked me how I knew this stuff. I wrote lawschoolnumbers on her business card. I hope she takes the advice.

alecks

Postby alecks » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:31 pm

1. my proctor's phone went off in the middle of the test. being that I exclusively study in busy starbucks this did not bother me, but most if not all of the room was visibly upset. a guy asked if we could have more time because of it. she said no, but she was really slow at setting her watch so we ended up with about 30-45 seconds extra per section anyway :shock:

2. a girl had spelled her own name wrong on her admissions ticket and was denied entry into the test. you would think you would at least~ be able to spell your own name?? I guess not. she wasn't even upset. she was like "oh well. I'll try again some other time!"

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:37 pm

alecks wrote:2. a girl had spelled her own name wrong on her admissions ticket and was denied entry into the test. you would think you would at least~ be able to spell your own name?? I guess not. she wasn't even upset. she was like "oh well. I'll try again some other time!"

Now that's the optimistic can-do attitude! :lol:

ookoshi

Postby ookoshi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:13 pm

bbkk wrote:I don't really buy the passport story. I've heard it for multiple times but all hearsay. I am thinking, if she cut out the photo from her passport, she would then fail to meet the ID rule ("You must have a valid government-issued ID...contains a recent and recognizable photo." - LSAC). But who knows, some of the proctors seem really "nice." :roll:

Unless she had multiple forms of ID. I brought my Passport even though I had a Driver's License, in case my wallet got stolen between the parking deck and the testing center.

cheme2014

Postby cheme2014 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:26 pm

ookoshi wrote:Unless she had multiple forms of ID. I brought my Passport even though I had a Driver's License, in case my wallet got stolen between the parking deck and the testing center.

Lol I'm not a U.S. citizen, so I took like four types of ID just in case and also obsessively checked how my name was spelled on all of them. :oops:
(I have a hyphen in my name so I've had to deal with typos before :roll: )

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:52 pm

I took it abroad, and the kid sitting behind me didn't speak English fluently, at all, and didn't understand parts of filling out the test sheet...like the test hadn't started just filling out his name and such. Like really how do you understand a single question if you don't understand "first and last name".

Also everyone shows up with a backpack or purse. For some reason this made me furious. I've already taken it twice in the US where everyone showed up, as per rules, with the stupid baggy. The proctors just had them sit them in the back like it was nbd and they definitelyyyy didn't have phones on them. So false.

wlee1220

Postby wlee1220 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Not an LSAT story but something I overheard at the coffee shop tonight. There was a guy with this Kaplan LSAT Mastery book or some shit and his tutor:

Dude: I feel like I'm never gonna break 165 at this rate.
Tutor: I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just get our strategies down and you'll be in the 160s in no time.
Dude: I'm ok with games, -1 and -0 on my last two PTs. I'm messing up in LR. I missed 11 in each section.
Tutor: That's great man!!! You know we recommend that you try to get between 18 and 20 right, so you're right at 14. You beat yourself up too much. Let's work on your diagrams for the games.
Dude: Man I really want to go to Penn. I gotta do better.
Tutor: Ok. For right now let's focus on your diagrams for games. You're not using our techniques

As someone who fucked up, suffered and didn't know any better before coming to TLS, I felt bad. I told him afterwards that TLS really helped me prepare for my retake and he should check it out.

North

Postby North » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:31 pm

wlee1220 wrote: I told him afterwards that TLS really helped me prepare for my retake and he should check it out.

Good on you dude. I hope he listens.

Postby 10052014 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:08 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
alecks wrote:1. my proctor's phone went off in the middle of the test. being that I exclusively study in busy starbucks this did not bother me, but most if not all of the room was visibly upset. a guy asked if we could have more time because of it. she said no, but she was really slow at setting her watch so we ended up with about 30-45 seconds extra per section anyway :shock:

2. a girl had spelled her own name wrong on her admissions ticket and was denied entry into the test. you would think you would at least~ be able to spell your own name?? I guess not. she wasn't even upset. she was like "oh well. I'll try again some other time!"

So you took all of your PTs in a busy starbucks?

How many did you take? 41-69 etc... Also, does anyone recommend this-to take 41-69 in a starbucks?

FWIW
For the Oct test I studied exclusively in a library (PTing ~167) and when I actually sat for the test, mentally I felt like sitting in the middle of Grand Central Station having to re-read a lot of the stims, games, ect. Ended up getting a 160. For December I read PS bibles and MLSAT in the library, then would drill and did PTs in Starbucks and although it sucked at first, I ened up PTing ~172. when I sat for Dec my mind felt so clear and I felt so much more concentrated. Granted I don't know my score, but I definitely felt studying in busy places was a helpful study tactic and made a world of difference for me and I know I scored a lot closer to my PT average.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:16 pm

wlee1220 wrote:Not an LSAT story but something I overheard at the coffee shop tonight. There was a guy with this Kaplan LSAT Mastery book or some shit and his tutor:

Dude: I feel like I'm never gonna break 165 at this rate.
Tutor: I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just get our strategies down and you'll be in the 160s in no time.
Dude: I'm ok with games, -1 and -0 on my last two PTs. I'm messing up in LR. I missed 11 in each section.
Tutor: That's great man!!! You know we recommend that you try to get between 18 and 20 right, so you're right at 14. You beat yourself up too much. Let's work on your diagrams for the games.
Dude: Man I really want to go to Penn. I gotta do better.
Tutor: Ok. For right now let's focus on your diagrams for games. You're not using our techniques

As someone who fucked up, suffered and didn't know any better before coming to TLS, I felt bad. I told him afterwards that TLS really helped me prepare for my retake and he should check it out.

Kaplan are such garbage. Nah man, how few you got wrong on games doesn't matter, it's all about the proprietary diagram techniques!

Just lol @ "only try 18 or 20 per section." Just lol.

Postby 10052014 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Last edited by steel_shot on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fnma2jd

Postby fnma2jd » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:04 pm

During mine a lady put her head down about half way into LR2 and then started snoring a few minutes later. The proctor was nice about it, almost like she felt bad for the lady. The lady just was like "oh sorry, sleep apnea."

Postby 10052014 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:37 pm

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:16 pm

At my test center, I bought in the LG section with the stained glass game to warm up before they checked us in. This girl started asking me what I was doing. Told her I was diagramming. She didn't know what that was. I asked her how does she do LG without diagramming and she said she just matches the names.

She said her favorite section was the one with the small paragraph of "stories." At first I thought she meant she liked RC, but I realized she meant LR.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:26 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
Just lol @ "only try 18 or 20 per section." Just lol.

what is the aim for how many to get right then? 23? so if one gets -2 and -3 on LR sections, thats fine? what is the amount wrong on LR sections that makes you 'good'?

lol at consciously aiming for less than 180... when you're in law school are you going to decide how many questions on the exam you'll aim to answer well, and as a lawyer, how many cases you'll try to win?

Straw_Mandible

Postby Straw_Mandible » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:30 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:She said her favorite section was the one with the small paragraph of "stories." At first I thought she meant she liked RC, but I realized she meant LR.

:lol: This is hilarious! Keep em coming, guys. My job is much less entertaining than this thread.

ETA: May the above derailment lay in rest.

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Guy next to me had Tourette's and was sniffing like crazy for the entire 5 sections. Completely stopped once we started the writing sample. I thought I did a good job of blocking it out, but fuck that guy. Call me insensitive, but the guy really should have considered how his condition would affect others around him who have a lot riding on this one test. Couldn't he have requested accommodations? I feel like the LSAC should give all test takers some sort of heads up about this kind of thing so those who have this condition or something similar will take it into account before registering.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:50 pm

lsatyolo wrote:Guy next to me had Tourette's and was sniffing like crazy for the entire 5 sections. Completely stopped once we started the writing sample. I thought I did a good job of blocking it out, but fuck that guy. Call me insensitive, but the guy really should have considered how his condition would affect others around him who have a lot riding on this one test. Couldn't he have requested accommodations? I feel like the LSAC should give all test takers some sort of heads up about this kind of thing so those who have this condition or something similar will take it into account before registering.

If he had accommodations his score would have been flagged, which makes it non-reportable, and therefore made it less helpful for him in getting into schools.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:07 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
steel_shot wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:what is the aim for how many to get right then? 23? so if one gets -2 and -3 on LR sections, thats fine? what is the amount wrong on LR sections that makes you 'good'?

In my opinion it doesn't really matter, just aim for the highest score possible. For what it's worth, I'd say if you can consistently go -1 or -2 you've got LR down fairly well. I think the consistency is very important for determining the level of skill though. I went LR1 -4 and LR2 -0 on my LSAT, and I didn't feel I was "good" at LR.

can you guys elaborate on this? more comments plz

Most people here want a 170+ in order to have a solid chance of being admitted into schools worth attending, with a good scholarship. To get a 170, you're typically talking about missing at most 11 or 12 questions total, so you really can't go into the test being willing to "leave anything on the table".

Everyone has weaknesses - I was routinely going -0 to -2 in LR from the very beginning of my prep, but Games were a problem for me the whole time. Other people go -0 in Games consistently, but struggle with RC. You just have to struggle for every point you can, and hope it'll be enough on test day.

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:12 pm

midwest17 wrote:
lsatyolo wrote:Guy next to me had Tourette's and was sniffing like crazy for the entire 5 sections. Completely stopped once we started the writing sample. I thought I did a good job of blocking it out, but fuck that guy. Call me insensitive, but the guy really should have considered how his condition would affect others around him who have a lot riding on this one test. Couldn't he have requested accommodations? I feel like the LSAC should give all test takers some sort of heads up about this kind of thing so those who have this condition or something similar will take it into account before registering.

If he had accommodations his score would have been flagged, which makes it non-reportable, and therefore made it less helpful for him in getting into schools.

Lame.

meegee

Postby meegee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:44 pm

Hmm, not sure if my story is worthy of posting here, but whatever.

I took the LSAT in October. So we're all getting situated, sitting down, and checking in etc. In walks this girl (she looked like she was either an undergrad, or a recent graduate) with high heels, a black blazer, and a black skirt ending slightly above her knees. She was dressed like she was attending a job interview. She had make up on, her hair was done, and I remember her having giant hoops for her earrings. Although we sat on different tables, she sat directly to the right of me, with no more than 3-5 feet of space between us. My first reaction when she entered was: "That cannot be comfortable. I would never take the LSAT wearing a suit."

The proctors were an old man and an old lady. They looked like faculty or professors of the university where I was taking the LSAT. They were very nice and professional, and even let someone use the bathroom after they checked-in since we were still waiting on a couple of people.

After the female proctor starts to hand out the materials (this is the putting in your basic info stage), the girl sitting to the right of me begins to tap her heels against the floor while drumming the table with the eraser on her pencil. At first it just seemed like nervous jitters, but at one point she started tapping with both of her heels like she was on the verge of tap dancing. Not gonna lie, but after a couple minutes, I muttered under my breath for that bitch to stop. I don't think she heard me though. She wasn't tapping like she was going ape shit on a drum solo, but you had to be deaf and oblivious to not notice her.

After the female proctor finishes handing out the materials, the male proctor began the protocol of moving us through the testing process. He starts by reading the usual rules. Halfway through he talks about limiting distractions, which he follows with "such as tapping your heels or tapping your pencil." Half the room shot a look at the girl sitting to the right of me.

She didn't make a sound the rest of the test.

Postby 10052014 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:18 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”