Overheard at the LSAT

ScottRiqui

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:31 am

North wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:
guano wrote:People who get 166 might not be lazy, but they got no place going to law school. Retake or don't go

This is such nonsense...with a strong enough GPA, a 166 could get you into Berkeley, whose median is 167.

Even without a strong GPA, the T14-or-bust mentality isn't necessarily warranted. There are people who go to lower-ranked law schools, do very well at those law schools, and end up having very successful careers. I know several such people.

Who wants to turn this babbling into a Flaw LR question?

He has a point, though; the idea that a 166 won't get you accepted anywhere worth attending is overly simplistic.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:38 am

North wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:
guano wrote:People who get 166 might not be lazy, but they got no place going to law school. Retake or don't go

This is such nonsense...with a strong enough GPA, a 166 could get you into Berkeley, whose median is 167.

Even without a strong GPA, the T14-or-bust mentality isn't necessarily warranted. There are people who go to lower-ranked law schools, do very well at those law schools, and end up having very successful careers. I know several such people.

So you think that a person who scores a 166 has "no place going to law school"?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:41 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:
North wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:

I think that everyone should have T14 numbers, even if they are going to a regional school. The market is bad enough that you should only go to a T14, or a regional school with a big scholarship (which generally requires T14 numbers unless it's a school that's not even worth attending for free). So a 166 could fit this description if they had a great GPA.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:44 am

ImNoScar wrote:I think that everyone should have T14 numbers, even if they are going to a regional school. The market is bad enough that you should only go to a T14, or a regional school with a big scholarship (which generally requires T14 numbers unless it's a school that's not even worth attending for free). So a 166 could fit this description if they had a great GPA.

93 percentile not good enough

guano

Postby guano » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:45 am

I'll amend. If ya have a 3.8+ GPA a 166 is fine. But that really is the bare minimum.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:48 am

jk148706 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:I think that everyone should have T14 numbers, even if they are going to a regional school. The market is bad enough that you should only go to a T14, or a regional school with a big scholarship (which generally requires T14 numbers unless it's a school that's not even worth attending for free). So a 166 could fit this description if they had a great GPA.

93 percentile not good enough

Who cares what the percentile is. What school are you referincing that is worth attending?

North

Postby North » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:
North wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:

Was getting at the bolded. Editing quotes on my phone in class is hard.

Non-bolded guy should retake for HYS anyway.

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 am

Some of the people posting in this thread right now are fucking idiots, and assholes to boot. A non-URM buddy of mine got into Duke and Michigan with a 3.7 and a 167. More broadly speaking, a good GPA from a good institution and a 166 could get you into some lower-tier T14 right now.

Also saying someone with a 93rd percentile score has no business going to law school makes you a douche of the highest order.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:22 am

JWP1022 wrote:Some of the people posting in this thread right now are fucking idiots, and assholes to boot. A non-URM buddy of mine got into Duke and Michigan with a 3.7 and a 167. More broadly speaking, a good GPA from a good institution and a 166 could get you into some lower-tier T14 right now.

Also saying someone with a 93rd percentile score has no business going to law school makes you a douche of the highest order.

Calm down. If you have a great GPA from a good school then retake for money. No one's impressed that your friend or anyone else will pay 250k for a degree when a slightly better LSAT cuts the cost in half. As someone who nearly went to LS with a 166 I had no business going then and thank god I didn't. Now let's get this thread back on track.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:28 am

Way to allow this thread to go off track October LSAT takers... Bring on the funnies

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:51 am

Shut up! More funny shit from the LSAT!

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 am

This isn't really that funny but...

I accidentally wore sunglasses to the test. Because of the location, I had to walk twenty minutes and it's bright here. I was freaking out because, like most douches, I wear expensive sunglasses (not flashy sunglasses, just expensive sunglasses). I could not find sunglasses on the list of items that was allowed/disallowed, so I decided that I needed to hide them. In hindsight, this was probably unnecessary, but this was my first time taking the test. So I found a bathroom close to the testing center and went to hide them behind a toilet in one of the stalls. I pushed my sunglasses behind the toilet and in doing so pushed another pair of sunglasses out, which someone must have hidden/lost. I pushed them back in and left them there. At the end of the test (the test was administered in different locations depending on the alphabet), I went back and found only my sunglasses.

david&goliath

Postby david&goliath » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:56 am

This one guy I know wrote the test in june with me for the first time. After we received our scores, I asked him what his score/percentile was...

He said: "I got a 160, but I dont have a percentile, they didn't send me one, I think my test centre didn't do the percentile thing"

North

Postby North » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:55 am

camelthing wrote:This isn't really that funny but...

I accidentally wore sunglasses to the test. Because of the location, I had to walk twenty minutes and it's bright here. I was freaking out because, like most douches, I wear expensive sunglasses (not flashy sunglasses, just expensive sunglasses). I could not find sunglasses on the list of items that was allowed/disallowed, so I decided that I needed to hide them. In hindsight, this was probably unnecessary, but this was my first time taking the test. So I found a bathroom close to the testing center and went to hide them behind a toilet in one of the stalls. I pushed my sunglasses behind the toilet and in doing so pushed another pair of sunglasses out, which someone must have hidden/lost. I pushed them back in and left them there. At the end of the test (the test was administered in different locations depending on the alphabet), I went back and found only my sunglasses.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:08 pm

North wrote:

The Godfather, LSAT-style

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:50 pm

PDaddy wrote:Taking section 3, and a cell phone rings.

Girl: "Hello? Oh...yeah...ok, hold on!" (quickly covers the phone speaker)

Girl (to Proctor): "Um...do you mind if I take this call? It's my friend Anastasia from New York; I have to find out how her test went."

Examinees: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Proctor is so stunned she stands there with her mouth open without saying a word. The examinees sit in shock as well.

Proctor (After she realizes it isn't a joke): "Uh...sure, ya...just take it outside. Oh! And leave your materials HERE, and don't bother coming back, ok?" :D

Girl: "Oh...well...ok! Are you sure?"

Proctor: :roll:

Girl: "I'm so excited!"

Girl (to her firend as she gathers her belongings to walk out): "Ok, so go ahead. No, the proctor was kinda interrupting me, girl. She is...so rude! (farts on the way out, lol.)

Girl: "So ok ok, go ahead."

Note: Think Hillary Banks from The Fresh Prince of Bel Aire

Proctor gives the examinees 2-3 minutes back on the clock.

Awesome story, cannot believe how dumb some people are. But they gave you more time?!?!?!?! I took June 2010 and some asshole's phone went off during the test and we all had to listen to 5 minutes of him negotiating with the proctor (in the end he was aloud to turn it off and keep it. Rrrg.) No extra time.

Ron_Burgundy

Postby Ron_Burgundy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Girl sitting next to me: Are you retaking?

Me: Yep, I didn't do as well as I would've liked on my first try.

Girl sitting next to me: Did you get below a 150?

Me: No, I got above a 150.

Girl sitting next to me: Then why are you retaking?

Me: I've been studying for about 8 months now, for about 4 hours a day. How about you? Did you study?

Girl sitting next to me: I took a practice test

Girl sitting next to me's friend: I didn't study; what's on the test?

Me: Logic.

Girl sitting next to me: Basically whatever you think the right answer is, it's the opposite.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Ron_Burgundy wrote:Girl sitting next to me: Are you retaking?

Me: Yep, I didn't do as well as I would've liked on my first try.

Girl sitting next to me: Did you get below a 150?

Me: No, I got above a 150.

Girl sitting next to me: Then why are you retaking?

Me: I've been studying for about 8 months now, for about 4 hours a day. How about you? Did you study?

Girl sitting next to me: I took a practice test

Girl sitting next to me's friend: I didn't study; what's on the test?

Me: Logic.

Girl sitting next to me: Basically whatever you think the right answer is, it's the opposite.

Sounds like you missed the perfect opportunity to ask her out.

Girl next to you: I have a boyfriend, sorry.

You: Opposite.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:03 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
North wrote:

The Godfather, LSAT-style

:D

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:07 pm

"Albany is a good school. Andrew Cuomo went there!"

ZGr88n

Postby ZGr88n » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:03 am

Girl in front of me: "I've been studying for like 3-4 months and did a few Logic games this morning before coming"

2 Girls behind me: "Wow, your just trying way to hard, for no reason"

Me: "Well you could have at least brushed your teeth before coming this morning, or would that be 'trying to hard, for no reason'"

ookoshi

Postby ookoshi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:08 am

If the requirement is a big scholarship to a regional school, then I don't understand all these "bare minimums" people are talking about. I got large scholarships to Alabama and Emory and I was running a total trash GPA (2.25/167). A 166 can get you into a good regional school with decent money even with a mediocre GPA if the rest of your app is solid.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:19 am

ZGr88n wrote:Girl in front of me: "I've been studying for like 3-4 months and did a few Logic games this morning before coming"

Me: "Well you could have at least brushed your teeth before coming this morning, or would that be 'trying to hard, for no reason'"

You'll make a wonderful law student.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:39 pm

ZGr88n wrote:Girl in front of me: "I've been studying for like 3-4 months and did a few Logic games this morning before coming"

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:40 pm

Would understanding the difference between to, too, and two be classified as "trying to hard, for no reason" under your analysis?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”