Overheard at the LSAT

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby MoMettaMonk » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:33 am

Daily_Double wrote:I thought about not posting this, but it's just so bad. I used to think that most of these were exaggerations, but based on my most recent experience, they're right on the money. So below are his statements and in parenthesis, support for those statements.

A state school kid started trying to enlighten me before the test, even though my expression basically said "if you don't possess coffee that you are going to offer me, then leave me the hell alone." He had what in his mind were wise points: you should always answer E (because his college professor made that the correct answer the most often), I should only focus on the first three games and the first three passages (because it's impossible to finish them all), and that if I had any last minute questions I should ask him now (because he took a Princeton review course, is retaking a 151 and is sure it was a fluke --- this time he's sure to break 160).

I shit you not. This actually happened to me. I didn't have the heart to destroy this kid by telling him that I was retaking a 172 because I knew I could beat it easily and that his suggestions were awful advice.


I rarely root for people to fail, but I think this guy warrants an exception.

<---- State School Pleb

User avatar
AnonymousAlterEgoC
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 am

I rarely root for people to fail, but I think this guy warrants an exception.

<---- State School Pleb


As a fellow State School Pleb (well, large public), I disagree. He was not attacking state school plebs. He was remarking that one of them is lazy and arrogant. However, I agree that the tone of his last paragraph switches to become pretty elitist.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby wtrc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:00 am

camelthing wrote:
I rarely root for people to fail, but I think this guy warrants an exception.

<---- State School Pleb


As a fellow State School Pleb (well, large public), I disagree. He was not attacking state school plebs. He was remarking that one of them is lazy and arrogant. However, I agree that the tone of his last paragraph switches to become pretty elitist.


Just to chime in here that I don't think DD was saying "State School Kid" in a condescending tone at all, particularly since DD wants to... go to a State School for Law School. Just background info there, that was presented in not the best way I guess.

Re the last paragraph, I don't think it's elitist to say "If I work hard, I can do better than most people on this test, and I'll prove it." The vast majority of people that get good scores today study hundreds or even thousands of hours to get them--- for me it was absolutely the most time-consuming thing I ever did. When others (like the kid DD mentions) study for like a few weeks total, and then try to lecture others in a condescending way with awful advice... I can see the frustration there...

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby northwood » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:09 am

My only fault with DD's point is that he prefaced his statement with State School Kid, which, when read in the context of the remaining post, appears to be a wide swipe against all state school kids. As such, it could be interpreted as both arrogant and elitist. If it was just " some random taker", im sure there would be little quarrel about the post, and probably more posters would have agreed with it.... That is all..

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 am

wtrc wrote:
camelthing wrote:
I rarely root for people to fail, but I think this guy warrants an exception.

<---- State School Pleb


As a fellow State School Pleb (well, large public), I disagree. He was not attacking state school plebs. He was remarking that one of them is lazy and arrogant. However, I agree that the tone of his last paragraph switches to become pretty elitist.


Just to chime in here that I don't think DD was saying "State School Kid" in a condescending tone at all, particularly since DD wants to... go to a State School for Law School. Just background info there, that was presented in not the best way I guess.

Re the last paragraph, I don't think it's elitist to say "If I work hard, I can do better than most people on this test, and I'll prove it." The vast majority of people that get good scores today study hundreds or even thousands of hours to get them--- for me it was absolutely the most time-consuming thing I ever did. When others (like the kid DD mentions) study for like a few weeks total, and then try to lecture others in a condescending way with awful advice... I can see the frustration there...

There was literally zero purpose in including the "state school" detail if he didn't mean to take a swipe at public schools.

Plenty of public school grads at my T14, incidentally. Including me.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:15 am

fuck private school

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Plenty of public school grads at my T14, incidentally. Including me.


It is worth noting that nearly 1/4 of the T14 are, indeed, public schools.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby midwest17 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:13 pm

northwood wrote:
KingFish wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:A state school kid started trying to enlighten me before the test

what do you mean



Perhaps "I, or my parents likely overspent on my undergraduate education, so I'm validating this choice by asserting my private educations pseudo-sueperiority over all others."

iditarod
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby iditarod » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:36 pm

.
Last edited by iditarod on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
McGruff
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby McGruff » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:31 pm

John Winger wrote:Guy next to me used the mini pencils that you get a golf course. He also erased half of his writing sample and started over.


this got lost in all the state school debacle but how did he erase if he was using golf minipencils? :?: they don't have erasers...

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby IrishJew » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm

phoonie wrote:
VTOrange19 wrote:Assistant Dean of Admissions is in the room and says "I don't even really understand how they grade this thing. I simply look at the score and look at what other people have scored to compare. Is it curved? Do you get certain points per question?"


Dear GOD, that would scare the shit out of me. Please say it's not a T14.


Could be. Some schools in the T-14 definitely have deans who don't know shit and have never been to law school. But what do you care, a high score is a high score, a low score is a low score. Compare applicant to other applicants, that pretty SOP from Harvard down to Bubmlefuck U. (I'd be surprised if it was T-3 though.)

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:49 pm

kobe1020 wrote:the girl next to me spent 2 mins writing and started her nap. at first i was like what are you doing like leaning on the desk i mean how can you write? then i realized...i was like i wish i can be just like you...and the 5 mins call woke her up i saw she had 4 lines on her answer sheet. great. that is literally "I don't give a shit about writing but i still wrote something so i will not be disqualified"


She probably got a 170+. At least she's not one of those people that freak out about the essay portion. Anyone that freaks out about the essay portion is TTT because he/she could not even perform a simple google search to find information that reveals how dumb the essay portion is.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:02 pm

McGruff wrote:
John Winger wrote:Guy next to me used the mini pencils that you get a golf course. He also erased half of his writing sample and started over.


this got lost in all the state school debacle but how did he erase if he was using golf minipencils? :?: they don't have erasers...

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:08 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
McGruff wrote:
John Winger wrote:Guy next to me used the mini pencils that you get a golf course. He also erased half of his writing sample and started over.


this got lost in all the state school debacle but how did he erase if he was using golf minipencils? :?: they don't have erasers...

My god. If only there were such a thing as erasers not attached to pencils. :shock:

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby IrishJew » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:11 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
platitude wrote:I think they cut out the photo on her license and taped it on.


:shock: say what


Actually I would have done the exact same thing and even thought of this before the test. (Screw it, if I forget this damn picture I'll just cut up my license and get a new one, much easier than prepping for a new LSAT.)

User avatar
Foxtrot2013
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:13 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Foxtrot2013 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Just stumbled across this thread. This is orgasmic!!! :twisted: :twisted:

User avatar
McGruff
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby McGruff » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:27 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:My god. If only there were such a thing as erasers not attached to pencils. :shock:


Yeah I guess that's possible, lol at someone bringing golf pencils and a separate eraser tho

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby JustHawkin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:36 pm

McGruff wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:My god. If only there were such a thing as erasers not attached to pencils. :shock:


Yeah I guess that's possible, lol at someone bringing golf pencils and a separate eraser tho

Those get dull as crap by the 18th hole. I can't imagine a whole section...

User avatar
John Winger
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby John Winger » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:42 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
McGruff wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:My god. If only there were such a thing as erasers not attached to pencils. :shock:


Yeah I guess that's possible, lol at someone bringing golf pencils and a separate eraser tho

Those get dull as crap by the 18th hole. I can't imagine a whole section...


I think he robbed his local golf course of their pencil supply. He had a bunch of them... and a giant eraser. It was just odd to see someone using those, especially if they aren't considered #2 pencils.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:04 pm

.
Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Haha, I didn't mean anything negative by my post above and I'm certainly not elitist, just another guy struggling to get somewhere, and I didn't mean to insult anyone in the process. If that kid I described is reading this, I wish him good luck, it just strikes me as odd that he felt the need to share his views about the test with others and I whenever he got the chance for various reasons, when his views were in fact misguided. I mean, he was just so sure they were correct points that I kind of felt bad. That's all I was trying to say.

Whether or not he attended a state school had no relevance, I just tend to add unnecessary details when I write to paint a better picture, though it looks like I failed miserably in that effort. What was most annoying about it, and I think it would annoy most others as well, is someone acting in the role of an expert, while polluting other's views and concentration right before such an important test.


This state school pleb forgives you; we all misspeak on the internets.

SEngland
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby SEngland » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Haha, I didn't mean anything negative by my post above and I'm certainly not elitist, just another guy struggling to get somewhere, and I didn't mean to insult anyone in the process. If that kid I described is reading this, I wish him good luck, it just strikes me as odd that he felt the need to share his views about the test with others and I whenever he got the chance for various reasons, when his views were in fact misguided. I mean, he was just so sure they were correct points that I kind of felt bad. That's all I was trying to say.

Whether or not he attended a state school had no relevance, I just tend to add unnecessary details when I write to paint a better picture, though it looks like I failed miserably in that effort. What was most annoying about it, and I think it would annoy most others as well, is someone acting in the role of an expert, while polluting other's views and concentration right before such an important test.


This state school pleb forgives you; we all misspeak on the internets.


State school, private school, who gives a fuck. It doesn't matter now anyway.

User avatar
algonquin
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby algonquin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:08 pm

SEngland wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Haha, I didn't mean anything negative by my post above and I'm certainly not elitist, just another guy struggling to get somewhere, and I didn't mean to insult anyone in the process. If that kid I described is reading this, I wish him good luck, it just strikes me as odd that he felt the need to share his views about the test with others and I whenever he got the chance for various reasons, when his views were in fact misguided. I mean, he was just so sure they were correct points that I kind of felt bad. That's all I was trying to say.

Whether or not he attended a state school had no relevance, I just tend to add unnecessary details when I write to paint a better picture, though it looks like I failed miserably in that effort. What was most annoying about it, and I think it would annoy most others as well, is someone acting in the role of an expert, while polluting other's views and concentration right before such an important test.


This state school pleb forgives you; we all misspeak on the internets.


State school, private school, who gives a fuck. It doesn't matter now anyway.


You know what *does* matter? What kind of pencil you used.

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 852
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:04 am

guano wrote:People who get 166 might not be lazy, but they got no place going to law school. Retake or don't go

This is such nonsense...with a strong enough GPA, a 166 could get you into Berkeley, whose median is 167.

Even without a strong GPA, the T14-or-bust mentality isn't necessarily warranted. There are people who go to lower-ranked law schools, do very well at those law schools, and end up having very successful careers. I know several such people.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby North » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:24 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:
guano wrote:People who get 166 might not be lazy, but they got no place going to law school. Retake or don't go

This is such nonsense...with a strong enough GPA, a 166 could get you into Berkeley, whose median is 167.

Even without a strong GPA, the T14-or-bust mentality isn't necessarily warranted. There are people who go to lower-ranked law schools, do very well at those law schools, and end up having very successful careers. I know several such people.

Who wants to turn this babbling into a Flaw LR question?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests