Overheard at the LSAT

Otunga

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Otunga » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:30 pm

rftdd888 wrote:overall wasn't a crazy experience. my room was less <20 and people were generally older and completely serious, as a 22yo college grad I felt young in the room

I'm 23 and felt old. Average age seemed to be 20/21 (took it at an Ivy college).

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Otunga wrote:
rftdd888 wrote:overall wasn't a crazy experience. my room was less <20 and people were generally older and completely serious, as a 22yo college grad I felt young in the room

I'm 23 and felt old. Average age seemed to be 20/21 (took it at an Ivy college).

I took it in a room full of olds like me. I'm 24. but there were some people there pushing mid 30s

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:26 pm

One girl had literally 50 Ticonderoga pencils in her ziplock bag, arranged in two perfect cuboids of 5 x 5 each.
Last edited by iamgeorgebush on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hailcaesar34

Postby hailcaesar34 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:29 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:One girl had literally 50 Ticongeroga pencils in her ziplock bag, arranged in two perfect cuboids of 5 x 5 each.

Better than the guy next to me who didn't bring any pencils.

Domke

Postby Domke » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:03 am

Otunga wrote:

This.

The last time I felt so old was when I had to observe a high school health class for nursing school.

metatron

Postby metatron » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:49 am

I didn't hear anything spectacularly amusing at my first jab at the LSAT, but one kid was a nuisance.

We had to wait in line to get into the general testing area, and proctors were checking our ziploc bags and making sure we had what we were supposed to have, and NOT stuff we weren't allowed to have.

One kid gets pulled out of line because he had an electronic timer.

Proctor: no electronics.
Kid: but this isn't electronic, it's battery-operated.
Proctor: then, no battery-operated electronics.

Kid goes and leaves it in this big room we had put our backpacks and such in, then comes back.

Proctor: Take these out, too. (referring to earphones and what looked like an ipod shuffle, or some sort of MP3/4 player type gadget)
Kid: But I won't be using them.

I didn't hear the rest of this conversation for some reason, but eventually, he put those away too and finally gets inside the testing area. Apparently, he would be testing in the same classroom as I -- joy!

I'm waiting in line to have the proctor check my passport and exam application and he's pulled out by his arm from the testing room for having a freaking iphone in his pocket that he took out in the classroom. Classroom proctors were different from the earlier proctors that had to deal with him before, else he would've been in some serious trouble. He has to go back out of the testing area to put his phone away.

I heard from him one last time when, after break was over, we were showing our IDs to get back inside and he left his passport in his backpack, located outside the general testing area, during break, even though we'd been specifically told to keep our IDs on us as they'd be checking for those before resuming the exams.

The proctors were not happy with this kid..

Also, the girl behind me asked for a new sheet to write her essay on which was denied, so she spent a frantic minute erasing everything - a considerable amount from the amount of scrubbing and desk creaking I heard. I'd finished my essay already and was drawing cartoons on the scratch paper...

koval

Postby koval » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:12 am

wtrc wrote:During break, people having a discussion about if the writing sample is 30 or 35 minutes. I say "guys... just write something down in 15 minutes it really doesn't matter much."

Kid corrects me and tells me "well, I don't know where you want to go, but I was at a UPenn informational panel and they said they read it and it's a big part of their decision!"

I looked around the room when there was like a minute left for the writing sample, the kid was still writing...

This happened to me too. Everyone was finished after 25 minutes. One guy, who before the test said he was shooting for 150, took the entire 35 minutes. I wanted to be like "dude, the chances of you blowing away admissions officers with your arguement are the chances Cooley has of placing someone at Wachtell".

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:38 am

Last edited by jk148706 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:30 pm

dcruss wrote:This happened to me too. Everyone was finished after 25 minutes. One guy, who before the test said he was shooting for 150, took the entire 35 minutes. I wanted to be like "dude, the chances of you blowing away admissions officers with your arguement are the chances Cooley has of placing someone at Wachtell".

What are the chances of you spelling argument correctly?

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:38 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
dcruss wrote:This happened to me too. Everyone was finished after 25 minutes. One guy, who before the test said he was shooting for 150, took the entire 35 minutes. I wanted to be like "dude, the chances of you blowing away admissions officers with your arguement are the chances Cooley has of placing someone at Wachtell".

What are the chances of you spelling argument correctly?

that's the fancier french way of spelling it

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:11 pm

kkklick wrote: "THE WRITING SECTION DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER! GO HOME!"

I wish more people understood this, I wrote for about 10, max 15 minutes, then took a nap (srs). When I woke up after the time was called EVERYONE was still writing. WHO FUCKING GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE WRITING SAMPLE LOL ANYONE WHO CAN FIND ME A LAW SCHOOL WHO LOOKS AT IT AND IT INFLUENCES THEM LET ME KNOW LOL

Yeah, I wrote for maybe 20, 25 and called it a day. However schools do sometimes look at it, I knew someone in Penn Admissions who said they think you're a d-bag if you obviously don't take it seriously, though. FYI there is one professor at Yale who claims to rely heavily on the writing sample (not clear if he's joking or not).

guano

Postby guano » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:20 pm

IrishJew wrote:

I wish more people understood this, I wrote for about 10, max 15 minutes, then took a nap (srs). When I woke up after the time was called EVERYONE was still writing. WHO FUCKING GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE WRITING SAMPLE LOL ANYONE WHO CAN FIND ME A LAW SCHOOL WHO LOOKS AT IT AND IT INFLUENCES THEM LET ME KNOW LOL

Yeah, I wrote for maybe 20, 25 and called it a day. However schools do sometimes look at it, I knew someone in Penn Admissions who said they think you're a d-bag if you obviously don't take it seriously, though. FYI there is one professor at Yale who claims to rely heavily on the writing sample (not clear if he's joking or not).

Yale gets to select between people in the top 1%. They get to do whatever they want.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:49 pm

guano wrote:
IrishJew wrote:

Yale gets to select between people in the top 1%. They get to do whatever they want.

Precisely. He just said he wanted to be alerted if a school used it. Yale makes some pretty weird admissions choices every year. It's good to be the king...

IrishJew

Postby IrishJew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:57 pm

incompetentia wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:This place *definitely* will skew your perception of a decent score.
When I came here I thought if I could get a 165 It'd be the absolute balls, and a 163 would be great.
Now I expect to be horribly depressed to see less than a 170 and I'll feel like a sped-bus window-licker.

Tell me about it.
I found this site when I was hoping for something in the high 160s...now a 167 just sounds like so much dog crap.

I hear you. I'm fortunate enough to have gotten a good score, but it drives me nuts on here when people ask a "what are my chances" and someone replies "come on, you only got a 166, just study and retest." I've got no problem laughing at the kid aiming to break 140 (I know, I'm a dick) but people who think 166-ers are just lazy need a reality check.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:02 pm

IrishJew wrote:I knew someone in Penn Admissions who said they think you're a d-bag if you obviously don't take it seriously, though.

It's really hard to actually make it look like you didn't take it seriously

Write a few cohesive arguments; that's fine

guano

Postby guano » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:03 pm

IrishJew wrote:
incompetentia wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:This place *definitely* will skew your perception of a decent score.
When I came here I thought if I could get a 165 It'd be the absolute balls, and a 163 would be great.
Now I expect to be horribly depressed to see less than a 170 and I'll feel like a sped-bus window-licker.

Tell me about it.
I found this site when I was hoping for something in the high 160s...now a 167 just sounds like so much dog crap.

I hear you. I'm fortunate enough to have gotten a good score, but it drives me nuts on here when people ask a "what are my chances" and someone replies "come on, you only got a 166, just study and retest." I've got no problem laughing at the kid aiming to break 140 (I know, I'm a dick) but people who think 166-ers are just lazy need a reality check.

People who get 166 might not be lazy, but they got no place going to law school. Retake or don't go

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:33 am

Daily_Double wrote:A state school kid started trying to enlighten me before the test

what do you mean

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:03 am

guano wrote:People who get 166 might not be lazy, but they got no place going to law school. Retake or don't go

Eh, standard disclaimers apply - "Can you get into a strong regional?" "Near where you want to practice?" "For little or no debt?" etc.

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:08 am

the girl next to me spent 2 mins writing and started her nap. at first i was like what are you doing like leaning on the desk i mean how can you write? then i realized...i was like i wish i can be just like you...and the 5 mins call woke her up i saw she had 4 lines on her answer sheet. great. that is literally "I don't give a shit about writing but i still wrote something so i will not be disqualified"

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:48 am

KingFish wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:A state school kid started trying to enlighten me before the test

what do you mean

Yeah. "State school?"

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:02 am

KingFish wrote:

what do you mean

Perhaps "I, or my parents likely overspent on my undergraduate education, so I'm validating this choice by asserting my private educations pseudo-sueperiority over all others."

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:06 am

northwood wrote:
KingFish wrote:

what do you mean

Perhaps "I, or my parents likely overspent on my undergraduate education, so I'm validating this choice by asserting my private educations pseudo-sueperiority over all others."

ding ding ding ding!

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:24 am

Daily_Double wrote:I thought about not posting this, but it's just so bad. I used to think that most of these were exaggerations, but based on my most recent experience, they're right on the money. So below are his statements and in parenthesis, support for those statements.

A state school kid started trying to enlighten me before the test, even though my expression basically said "if you don't possess coffee that you are going to offer me, then leave me the hell alone." He had what in his mind were wise points: you should always answer E (because his college professor made that the correct answer the most often), I should only focus on the first three games and the first three passages (because it's impossible to finish them all), and that if I had any last minute questions I should ask him now (because he took a Princeton review course, is retaking a 151 and is sure it was a fluke --- this time he's sure to break 160).

I shit you not. This actually happened to me. I didn't have the heart to destroy this kid by telling him that I was retaking a 172 because I knew I could beat it easily and that his suggestions were awful advice.

Have fun getting trounced by "state school kids" wherever you end up. If you want to be arrogant about the LSAT maybe you should focus on getting a good score first.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”