Overheard at the LSAT

arean.ryan

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby arean.ryan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:00 pm

I don't want to burn in hell, but our proctor assistant was mentally challenged and had one hand and one nub. Throughout the test he was furiously scratching his nub and smiling. It was very distracting.
Last edited by arean.ryan on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etown989

Postby etown989 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Had a mentally challenged kid taking the test sitting in front of me... not really a funny story and he actually was of no distraction to anyone. I did find out how the getting extra time works though. He stopped on time for each section with everyone and then after the writing section he went with a proctor to a different room to finish with his extra time I am guessing.

edit: lol just read the post above mine... funny concidence

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:12 pm

tazmolover wrote:
chup wrote:
Ragged wrote:My proctor could barely read. She was asian and clearly never even glanced at the rules before reading them out loud. It was kinda funny and made me want to make fun of her but at the same time I felt bad. I was gonna come up to her during the break and be like "So, which law school did you go to?"

I don't think anyone has gotten banned for being racist against Asians. Blacks/hispanics probably. Asians?

They just scream ORM.

I'm Asian and I think I'm racist against Asians.
But seriously folks, we're everywhere once you get this high. Except in the arts. (I must have been the only Asian in my program...)

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 pm

etown989 wrote:Had a mentally challenged kid taking the test sitting in front of me... not really a funny story and he actually was of no distraction to anyone. I did find out how the getting extra time works though. He stopped on time for each section with everyone and then after the writing section he went with a proctor to a different room to finish with his extra time I am guessing.

edit: lol just read the post above mine... funny concidence

There was a kid who I thought was mentally challenged but it turns out he was just deaf. They just had to knock on the test whenever a section was over, and for the 5 minute warning as well. Seems like a weird way to do extra time. Finishing halfway through a RC section of a game section would be a pain in the ass. You'd be spending some of the decent time reminding yourself of what you went over.

rso11

Postby rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 pm

incompetentia wrote:
tazmolover wrote:
chup wrote:
Ragged wrote:My proctor could barely read. She was asian and clearly never even glanced at the rules before reading them out loud. It was kinda funny and made me want to make fun of her but at the same time I felt bad. I was gonna come up to her during the break and be like "So, which law school did you go to?"

I don't think anyone has gotten banned for being racist against Asians. Blacks/hispanics probably. Asians?

They just scream ORM.

But seriously folks, we're everywhere once you get this high. Except in the arts. (I must have been the only Asian in my program...)

+1 for both lol

AnthonyNicator

Postby AnthonyNicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:21 pm

arean.ryan wrote:I don't want to burn in hell, but our proctor assistant was mentally challenged and had one hand and one nub. Throughout the test he was furiously scratching his nub and smiling. It was very distracting.

lolololol. i like how you qualify that statement. i had some chill ass proctors. it was sweet.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

They just scream ORM.[/quote]
But seriously folks, we're everywhere once you get this high. Except in the arts. (I must have been the only Asian in my program...)[/quote]

+1 for both lol[/quote]

Depends on what you mean by Asian. I consider my self to be Asian.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:32 pm

At my testing center, one of the two proctors for our room trundled in at 8:45. First action: goes directly to the computer desk at the front of the room about 8 feet away from the front row where I am sitting. Said proctor opens up briefcase and puts laptop on the desk, booting it up for action. Myself and 4-5 other test room denizens exchanging looks of concern, i.e., does this person plan on TYPING during the test??? Five minutes later the other proctor calls for last questions. I raise my hand and the computer-laptop-toting-proctor walks over to me.
Me: "Um, are you planning on typing during the test?"
Proctor: [completely miffed tone as though horrified I would ever consider such a thing]"No, do you have any other questions?"
Me: Nope, that's it.
Proctor walks to the other side of the room. Five different people whisper various iterations of: "dude, way to go, brah, I was totally thinking the same thing."
Two minutes later, proctor walks up to desk, closes laptop (without ever having used it), and puts it away. Pulls out iPhone and surfs for the next 2.5 hours except when collecting papers.
Proctor was totally going to be typing during our test. Not as bad as some of the other stories cause Daddy headed it off at the pass, but I was like, you've gotta be f'in kiddin' me.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Nice call toad. It definitely pays to be (or have at least one person in the room be) assertive on test day.

rso11

Postby rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:42 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:They just scream ORM.

But seriously folks, we're everywhere once you get this high. Except in the arts. (I must have been the only Asian in my program...)[/quote]

+1 for both lol[/quote]

Depends on what you mean by Asian. I consider my self to be Asian.[/quote]

And? Are you in the arts or something?

Chants

Postby Chants » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:51 pm

At the end of the break-

Kid 1: I should have worn a nicorette patch. I am going to go outside to smoke again before the writing section.
Friend/frat brother: We don't get another break.
Kid 1: The fifth section is optional. It doesn't count towards your score.

Apparently the whole experimental section concept was enough to best this young scholar.

ND'10 wrote:Proctor: "So does anyone have any final questions before we start?"

Guy in the room: "Yeah, will they tell us what section is the experimental one when we're doing it?"

----------

Yep, there's going to be a big box at the top of the page saying "THIS ONE DOESN'T COUNT- TAKE A 35 MINUTE NAP"

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:58 pm

rso11 wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:They just scream ORM.

+1 for both lol[/quote]

Depends on what you mean by Asian. I consider my self to be Asian.[/quote]

And? Are you in the arts or something?[/quote]

What i mean is are you including south asian? If, so, then we are not quite as apparent in the legal field.

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:00 pm

So, I took the LSAT back in Feb '10, but I remember a few interesting tidbits.

Tidbit #1: As we're all finding our seats, getting settled in, one random guy goes up to proctor and in very loud, impolite fashion asks, "Dude, do you have a pencil I can borrow?" Proctor, baffled, grabs a pencil off his table, gives it to the guy and reminds everyone #2 pencils are required.

Tidbit #2: Proctor reads long directions, grows more sarcastic with each word, then asks everyone if there is anyone from LSAC in the test room. SILENCE. Proctor continues, "because sometimes they sit in on testing sessions unannounced, so I wouldn't want to do anything that wasn't allowed if they're in here. Since they're not here and if no one objects, I'll write the time on the board for each section when you have to stop. Clocks are in the back of the room too, if you need them." +1 for cool/laid back proctor.

Tidbit #3: During break in crowded bathroom, two girls washing their hands next to me engage in the following conversation:
Girl in mini skirt (in UPPERMIDWEST in FEBRUARY!!! I'm talking 15 degrees outside): This test is waaaaaaaaay harder than the practice tests I did.
Random girl 2: Yah, I know what you mean. How many practice tests did you do?
Mini skirt girl: A TON!!! I think like, four?
Random girl 2: WHUT? 4! Girl, you are so ready for this! You'll rock this thing. I took that free test online and this is way harder.
Mini skirt girl: Awh, thanks? You really think I'll do good?
Random girl 2: For sure. Good luck!

And in that moment... I knew I'd be fine.... :mrgreen:

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:02 pm

Not from this cycle, and not something I heard, but a fun test center story nonetheless I think.

I took the test in Denver in 2008. At the DU center, they split you in to rooms of about 25 people. I ended up chatting in a group of 5 folks outside of the room during the test. Didn't think much of it, just normal pleasantries.

Proceeded to see 3 of them at visits in the T10 the next year. 3 of us (out of those 5) wound up at HYS. I don't really know what the odds of that are, but it was pretty neat to randomly run into the folks I talked with during the break.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:07 pm

Masters' was in music theory/composition. Even the musicologists were all white except for one.

And I personally was referring to East Asian. China, Japan, Korea only. That's the definition that I'm familiar with

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:10 pm

incompetentia wrote:

Masters' was in music theory/composition. Even the musicologists were all white except for one.

And I personally was referring to East Asian. China, Japan, Korea only. That's the definition that I'm familiar with

Yes, there is the diffrence, and it is reflected in law school applications as well, that is some.

I am not Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Vietnamese (major groups), however, derive from the Asian continent.

My point is not all asians are orm in all fields. There are many Indians in medicine and business as well as the maths and sciences. We are quite rare in the social sciences, and even rarer in the legal field.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:35 pm

vegenator wrote:

Tidbit #3: During break in crowded bathroom, two girls washing their hands next to me engage in the following conversation:
Girl in mini skirt (in UPPERMIDWEST in FEBRUARY!!! I'm talking 15 degrees outside): This test is waaaaaaaaay harder than the practice tests I did.
Random girl 2: Yah, I know what you mean. How many practice tests did you do?
Mini skirt girl: A TON!!! I think like, four?
Random girl 2: WHUT? 4! Girl, you are so ready for this! You'll rock this thing. I took that free test online and this is way harder.
Mini skirt girl: Awh, thanks? You really think I'll do good?
Random girl 2: For sure. Good luck!

I didn't know people would be listening to my conversation! Oh, and the miniskirt was for good luck. Elle Woods wore one, I think!

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:36 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
incompetentia wrote:

Yes, there is the diffrence, and it is reflected in law school applications as well, that is some.

I am not Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Vietnamese (major groups), however, derive from the Asian continent.

My point is not all asians are orm in all fields. There are many Indians in medicine and business as well as the maths and sciences. We are quite rare in the social sciences, and even rarer in the legal field.

This is because most Asians are too smart to become lawyers.

I'm pretty sure we are the dumb ones.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:45 pm

tazmolover wrote:This is because most Asians are too smart to become lawyers.

If I were headed to anything that vaguely smelled of corporate by going to law school, I wouldn't be here, that's for sure.

(Fun fact: My parents STILL want me to go to med school, five years and three majors after I told them I was getting out of the natural sciences.)

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:46 pm

incompetentia wrote:
tazmolover wrote:This is because most Asians are too smart to become lawyers.

If I were headed to anything that vaguely smelled of corporate by going to law school, I wouldn't be here, that's for sure.

(Fun fact: My parents STILL want me to go to med school, five years and three majors after I told them I was getting out of the natural sciences.)

Haha.

My big sister is applying to med school. I mean she applied and is waiting to find out if she got in.

At least one of my parents' children may turn out to be successful. I hope you have siblings!

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm an only child. 8)

To be fair, they're still happier than when I was going to become a composer.

YOU SHAME FAMILY???? WHY NOT GO HAVAD???
(Okay, so maybe their accents aren't that thick. Well, maybe my aunt's.)

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:51 pm

incompetentia wrote:I'm an only child. 8)

To be fair, they're still happier than when I was going to become a composer.

YOU SHAME FAMILY???? WHY NOT GO HAVAD???
(Okay, so maybe their accents aren't that thick. Well, maybe my aunt's.)

LOL!

Us Asians man.

One of my Asian friends who comes from a relatively wealthy family has only one dream since I've known him in grade school...to become a chef.

But his parents won't let him even think about it. I feel so bad for him because he seems miserable doing anything else.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:56 pm

Yeah...I'm lucky my mom's a graphic designer, otherwise I probably would have ended up in med school anyway.

Asians are oppressed more than any other ethnic group! Well, at least until we're considered adults by our parents. (So, around age 43...)

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:58 pm

Kretzy wrote:Not from this cycle, and not something I heard, but a fun test center story nonetheless I think.

I took the test in Denver in 2008. At the DU center, they split you in to rooms of about 25 people. I ended up chatting in a group of 5 folks outside of the room during the test. Didn't think much of it, just normal pleasantries.

Proceeded to see 3 of them at visits in the T10 the next year. 3 of us (out of those 5) wound up at HYS. I don't really know what the odds of that are, but it was pretty neat to randomly run into the folks I talked with during the break.

Was this the Sept '08 test, Kretzy? I was there for that (and then again Oct. 09 :|)

downing

Postby downing » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:58 pm

tazmolover wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:
incompetentia wrote:

This is because most Asians are too smart to become lawyers.

By what you're saying, it seems like you're implying that there's something inherently more intelligent in pursuing a degree in mathematics, or medicine, or another field more typical of asians to pursue. But there isn't, so I don't believe your implication is correct.
Anyway, I've lived in Asia for a long time. I see lots of asians all the time. I have private students who are engineers. One of my students, a really good example of what I'm trying to get across, went to Kaist. If you're Korean you've probably heard of it. It's the top technical college in Korea. He is constantly impressed by the verbal abilities of the lawyers, Korean and non-Korean, he needs to collaborate with on group projects. And he's the lead engineer for a team of engineers working for LG. He would disagree with you, and so do I.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”