Overheard at the LSAT

Xixak

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Xixak » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:23 pm

North wrote:
Xixak wrote:
North wrote:
Xixak wrote:I know it's fun to laugh at these people, but some of you guys are showing spite and really being dicks about it...

That's what's funny.

Idk some of these posts are making me wince.

Plenty of other people have grandstanded ITT about it being elitist or whatever. It's still trucking.

I'm not saying people here are elitist, they're just highly motivated. I don't have a problem with the jokes unless you start degrading other people.

Yes I know less-motivated people throw the exact opposite insults saying that we're "obsessed" or "nerds", doesn't mean we have to do the same.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Xixak wrote:
North wrote:Plenty of other people have grandstanded ITT about it being elitist or whatever. It's still trucking.

I'm not saying people here are elitist, they're just highly motivated. I don't have a problem with the jokes unless you start degrading other people.

Yes I know less-motivated people throw the exact opposite insults saying that we're "obsessed" or "nerds", doesn't mean we have to do the same.

Having read the last few pages, that's not what I'm getting from this. People are not getting made fun of for scoring badly, they are getting made fun of for being clueless/arrogant and then scoring badly. Cluelessness is the entire purpose of this thread. Too many liberal arts majors who defaulted to the legal profession without doing every 30 minutes worth of research.

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Idk I guess I'm just more empathetic than most here. I feel bad when I see that someone has just pidgeon-holed themselves into a below-average income because they majored in Philosophy and got a 150 LSAT.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Postby North » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:58 pm

hoos89 wrote:A lot of this thread is "HA! this guy only took X practice tests!! what an idiot! The correct number of practice tests was clearly the number of tests that I took."

1. That is not funny. I honestly could care less how little some random person studied for the LSAT.

2. Some people do very well on the LSAT (maybe even better than you) with little to no prep.

3. Your judgment of them is misplaced. A lot of people say "oh how could you possibly be dumb enough to not take this major life event seriously and study more." A significant portion of people taking the LSAT are just kids reaching the end of college and realizing they don't know what to do with their lives so they say "meh, I'll take the LSAT and see what happens." Is this particularly wise? Probably not. Still, a lot of these people will end up doing poorly and deciding not to go to whatever school you have scorned them for thinking of attending. Just because you're dead set on law school doesn't mean everyone else taking this exam is as well. That time of life can be very confusing and a lot of people are just bumbling around trying to latch onto something. In any case, it is not exceptional enough to warrant documentation on this forum.

Now let's get back to talking about that IDIOT who brought mechanical pencils!

Here's that grandstanding I was talking about.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 am

:lol:

NB2013

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:56 am

Less whiny guilt

Moar funny

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:30 am

Back to the fun, I met a guy who I swear said his name was Bob Loblaw. I was afraid of ruining it by asking him again, but that's what I heard.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:58 am

Xixak wrote:Idk I guess I'm just more empathetic than most here. I feel bad when I see that someone has just pidgeon-holed themselves into a below-average income because they majored in Philosophy and got a 150 LSAT.

When that statement is coupled with "Who also thought he was going to live 'suits' because he was so 'good at arguing'" I have less sympathy.

EDIT: I often make the Suits reference and I've never even seen a clip of that show. Does that reference make sense?

Nothing but the Funk

Postby Nothing but the Funk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 am

Sourrudedude wrote:Back to the fun, I met a guy who I swear said his name was Bob Loblaw. I was afraid of ruining it by asking him again, but that's what I heard.

Did you at least ask if he runs a law blog?

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:53 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
Xixak wrote:Idk I guess I'm just more empathetic than most here. I feel bad when I see that someone has just pidgeon-holed themselves into a below-average income because they majored in Philosophy and got a 150 LSAT.

When that statement is coupled with "Who also thought he was going to live 'suits' because he was so 'good at arguing'" I have less sympathy.

EDIT: I often make the Suits reference and I've never even seen a clip of that show. Does that reference make sense?

Yes it does. In Suits it portrays lawyers as living a very lavish lifestyle where if they make partner they basically only have to show up in court, make a few witty comments and win cases.

There are some realistic aspects of the show, primarily it's demonstration of how competitive it is to actually win a case.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Xixak wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:

Yes it does. In Suits it portrays lawyers as living a very lavish lifestyle where if they make partner they basically only have to show up in court, make a few witty comments and win cases.

There are some realistic aspects of the show, primarily it's demonstration of how competitive it is to actually win a case.

But I thought all partners had to do was show up and make witty statements?

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Suits, where paralegals have offices the size of biglaw partner offices

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:27 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Xixak wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:

But I thought all partners had to do was show up and make witty statements?

And Star Trek references.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:50 pm

So Suits is basically Boston Legal, but without Shatner or David E. Kelley's tendency after the second season to make the theme of every episode "What I read on HuffPo last week"?

Tot12Tator

Postby Tot12Tator » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:28 pm

dstars823 wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
patfeeney wrote:
slack_academic wrote:In case anyone's lurking here and thinking of taking a Kaplan course, don't do it.
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Bro, stop trying to make Kaplan happen. It's not going to happen.

A disclaimer: I have never taken a Kaplan course, I've only done self-study, and I believe self-study is the only real way to go to get above a 165 on the test.

I applied to teach Kaplan LSAT. They only paid $18/hour. They only required a 162 LSAT to get the job. Also, they didn't really care about one's knowledge of the LSAT. During the interview they had someone working toward a JD/MBA from a TT school, and some administrator secretary lady without test teaching experience "evaluate" my teaching ability. They had me teach how to put a diaper on a baby, and had another guy teach how to juggle. It was pretty ridiculous.

I guess they didn't care that I actually scored high on the LSAT or had LSAT tutoring experience. No questions about the LSAT, I don't even think the word came up. They also let their teachers cross-teach, meaning I could teach the GRE or GMAT if they hired me, even though I didn't have experience with these tests-- I hope they didn't do the same for LSAT teachers. They said even if this happened, it would be okay because they would send me to some weekend training where I learned everything they needed me to know about the other tests.

In the end, they only cared about what some dude with an upper 150-something LSAT and an administrator thought about how I described the steps to putting a diaper on a baby. Instead, I ended up working for a legit LSAT prep company making $50/hr. Don't touch Kaplan.

Yea I taught for kaplan for a while just as kind of a side gig, mainly did tutoring just something to do since i was studying for a retake at the time thought it might help. They're training process is kind of really weird also only having to be the 90th percentile plus seemed to be kind of low.

A lot of their administrators and managers for their teachers were people who had scored in the 150s and had gone to TT schools so glad I was not the only person who experienced this

I took a Kaplan course for the June LSAT. The teacher never went to law school. He actually was getting ready to go to medical school in August. He took the LSAT about 8 years ago after not studying or anything for it. He just scored well on it, never found out what well was, and decided to teach the LSAT while he figured out if he wanted to be a lawyer or doctor. Needless to say, I'm retaking in October and self studying with Powerscore, Manhattan, and the 10 Actual Lsat series. Kaplan allows you to retake their course for the next test for free...but I'm willing to spend the money on self study materials instead of retaking with them.

Leaborb192

Postby Leaborb192 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:00 pm

*Deleted*
Last edited by Leaborb192 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Leaborb192 wrote:I took my first NYS required teaching exam. It was the CST Spanish. I was nervous enough as it is, but the group in the room didn't help. All they did was bitch about it and complain how they had all taken it multiple times. One girl had taken it SIX TIMES before. I was like, "This is my first time." And they all said, "It won't be your only time." I think I did well, but don't know if I'll earn the required 220 to pass. I bombed the speaking part, I think, as I was so nervous. I really hope I don't have to take that test again. :cry:

This does not seem to fit into the thread topic.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:35 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
RG10 wrote:Heard this conversation between a girl and a guy outside the testing room

Girl: Yeah I'm not too nervous about this test because it doesn't really matter for law school.
Guy: Oh yeah I know what you mean.
Girl: I mean Harvard doesn't even look at the LSAT anymore, they look at the GMAT.
Guy: Really? I didn't know that.
Girl: Yeah they don't care. I'm like if the #1 school in the country doesn't care then why does local TTT care?

Lol, sounds like someone overestimated the truth of this April Fool's prank: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/harvard-law-school-drops-lsat-for-gmat.html

What a dumbass. :lol:

ETA: Nova beat me to it!

Article wrote:Harvard Law's Assistant Dean of Admissions, Pilar Folso...

I love the April Fools anagram.

Rollontheground

Postby Rollontheground » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:08 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:Suits, where [HOT] paralegals have offices the size of biglaw partner offices

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:32 am

I can't wait to see what's in store for me at my site tomorrow.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:08 pm

AAJD2B wrote:I can't wait to see what's in store for me at my site tomorrow.

+1

crestor

Postby crestor » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:12 pm

i went in june and it was pretty boring other than the kid who had his cell phone ring off while the instructor was reading the instructions...

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:39 am

This thread better start delivering in 3 hours. I'm bumping it for that purpose

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”