Overheard at the LSAT

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelPenguin

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:I was talking with this guy at my test center and he said that he had won some sort of contest where he got to spend an hour talking to some guy who got a 180. He didn't say anything stupid/funny but I just thought this was such a weird prize.

Talking as in tutoring... or just hanging out with some guy that did really well on a test?

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:I applied to teach Kaplan LSAT. They only paid $18/hour. They only required a 162 LSAT to get the job. Also, they didn't really care about one's knowledge of the LSAT. During the interview they had someone working toward a JD/MBA from a TT school, and some administrator secretary lady without test teaching experience "evaluate" my teaching ability. They had me teach how to put a diaper on a baby, and had another guy teach how to juggle. It was pretty ridiculous.

I guess they didn't care that I actually scored high on the LSAT or had LSAT tutoring experience. No questions about the LSAT, I don't even think the word came up. They also let their teachers cross-teach, meaning I could teach the GRE or GMAT if they hired me, even though I didn't have experience with these tests-- I hope they didn't do the same for LSAT teachers. They said even if this happened, it would be okay because they would send me to some weekend training where I learned everything they needed me to know about the other tests.

In the end, they only cared about what some dude with an upper 150-something LSAT and an administrator thought about how I described the steps to putting a diaper on a baby. Instead, I ended up working for a legit LSAT prep company making $50/hr. Don't touch Kaplan.

After the preptest I talked to the proctors. They both seemed nice but it threw me off that neither had even touched the LSAT before. One specialized in GRE, the other in GMAT. There were like 4 or 5 different practice tests being proctored that day, each for different exams. Kind of a bad sign when you can't even get your LSAT tutors to draw in customers.

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Sourrudedude wrote:I was talking with this guy at my test center and he said that he had won some sort of contest where he got to spend an hour talking to some guy who got a 180. He didn't say anything stupid/funny but I just thought this was such a weird prize.

Talking as in tutoring... or just hanging out with some guy that did really well on a test?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:18 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
patfeeney wrote:
slack_academic wrote:In case anyone's lurking here and thinking of taking a Kaplan course, don't do it.
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Bro, stop trying to make Kaplan happen. It's not going to happen.

A disclaimer: I have never taken a Kaplan course, I've only done self-study, and I believe self-study is the only real way to go to get above a 165 on the test.

I applied to teach Kaplan LSAT. They only paid $18/hour. They only required a 162 LSAT to get the job. Also, they didn't really care about one's knowledge of the LSAT. During the interview they had someone working toward a JD/MBA from a TT school, and some administrator secretary lady without test teaching experience "evaluate" my teaching ability. They had me teach how to put a diaper on a baby, and had another guy teach how to juggle. It was pretty ridiculous.

I guess they didn't care that I actually scored high on the LSAT or had LSAT tutoring experience. No questions about the LSAT, I don't even think the word came up. They also let their teachers cross-teach, meaning I could teach the GRE or GMAT if they hired me, even though I didn't have experience with these tests-- I hope they didn't do the same for LSAT teachers. They said even if this happened, it would be okay because they would send me to some weekend training where I learned everything they needed me to know about the other tests.

In the end, they only cared about what some dude with an upper 150-something LSAT and an administrator thought about how I described the steps to putting a diaper on a baby. Instead, I ended up working for a legit LSAT prep company making $50/hr. Don't touch Kaplan.

Yea I taught for kaplan for a while just as kind of a side gig, mainly did tutoring just something to do since i was studying for a retake at the time thought it might help. They're training process is kind of really weird also only having to be the 90th percentile plus seemed to be kind of low.

A lot of their administrators and managers for their teachers were people who had scored in the 150s and had gone to TT schools so glad I was not the only person who experienced this

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:57 pm

jselson wrote:
indo wrote:
Word1 wrote:This was in Prepping for the LSAT.
Girl: So I plan on going to Stanford
Me: oh yea?
Girl: yea. I already found an apartment and everything.
Me: oh so how'd you do on the LSATs?
Girl: I'm taking in June
Me: oh cool, how do you expect to score?
Girl: mid-170s
Me: awesome.
Girl: yea, my strategy is that I skip the hardest Logic Game and the hardest RC passage. And I usually get through at least 20 LR questions and only get a few wrong.
Me: so, how do you expect to get a 175?
Girl: oh, it works out. My Instructor said so.
Me: I'm not sure if it does actually work out.
Girl: well, have you heard of the "Curve"??
Me: ...yes, yes I have.
Girl: anyway I'm a girl and an underepresented minority. I'll be fine.
Me: hmmmm... Enjoy Stanford.

The girl had the right strategy. She must have not explain to you correctly or you miss understood her.
She is an URM . Her score of 167 is equivalent of 175 to white and Asian.
Since she is an URM score of 164 and GPA 3.7 will be sufficient to get in to Stanford.

No. The joke is that she (and you) are massively overestimating the URM boost.

1) She says she skips the hardest LG and RC sections, so that's already 7 + 7 (14) gone.
2) She says she gets thru "at least" 20 questions on the LR sections, so let's say 22 each. That's 3 + 3 (6) gone.
3) She says she only gets a "few" wrong, so let's be optimistic and say that's 5.

So 14 + 6 + 5 = 25. That's 75 right, which translates to a 161 on June's test.

MyLSN shows only 2 URMs over the past 10 years being accepted with a 161.

Even if she swung a 164, she still only has a 33% shot (if gpa > 3.5).

Lol, c'mon man, many games have 6 questions, and statically she's likely to guess at least one right.

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:14 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Lol, c'mon man, many games have 6 questions, and statically she's likely to guess at least one right.

Statistically if she has to skip sections of the test, she aint gonna go 100% on the ones she answers either.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:16 pm

trojandave wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Lol, c'mon man, many games have 6 questions, and statically she's likely to guess at least one right.

Statistically if she has to skip sections of the test, she aint gonna go 100% on the ones she answers either.

Did you read the post, he already accounted for that.

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:58 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
jselson wrote:
indo wrote:
Girl: yea, my strategy is that I skip the hardest Logic Game and the hardest RC passage. And I usually get through at least 20 LR questions and only get a few wrong.

The girl had the right strategy. She must have not explain to you correctly or you miss understood her.
She is an URM . Her score of 167 is equivalent of 175 to white and Asian.
Since she is an URM score of 164 and GPA 3.7 will be sufficient to get in to Stanford.

No. The joke is that she (and you) are massively overestimating the URM boost.

1) She says she skips the hardest LG and RC sections, so that's already 7 + 7 (14) gone.
2) She says she gets thru "at least" 20 questions on the LR sections, so let's say 22 each. That's 3 + 3 (6) gone.
3) She says she only gets a "few" wrong, so let's be optimistic and say that's 5.

So 14 + 6 + 5 = 25. That's 75 right, which translates to a 161 on June's test.

MyLSN shows only 2 URMs over the past 10 years being accepted with a 161.

Even if she swung a 164, she still only has a 33% shot (if gpa > 3.5).

Lol, c'mon man, many games have 6 questions, and statically she's likely to guess at least one right.

K, so she's still more likely than not going to be rejected. The hubris in her comments is still funny. Sheesh.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Shut the fuck up.

Postby 06102016 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:02 pm

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Some blonde girl with corn rows (spring break foreva' type) canceled after the first section and said, "I can't do this." I guess that's normal, but what the hell was going on with her hair. Come on.

jmdogg88

Postby jmdogg88 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Had a kid tell me his prep consisted of reading over the test LSAC posts online, one night before the test. Didn't even time himself. He then went on ad nauseum about how everyone needed to calm down, how he'd one day own a lawyerly lair, and that law school ranking means nothing to real attorneys.

The look on his face when time was called after the first section was glorious. I wanted to talk to him during the bathroom break, but he remained in his chair, casting a thousand yard stare. I hope the Ave Maria School for Distinct Snowflakes is treating him well.

He could have bought plenty of penny stocks with his LSAT money.
Last edited by jmdogg88 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmdogg88

Postby jmdogg88 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:33 pm

If Stanford catches a whiff of her URM entitlement, her file will be buried farther down in a trashcan than Oscar the Grouch's basement.

North

Postby North » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:40 pm

jmdogg88 wrote:

If Stanford catches a whiff of her URM entitlement, her file will be buried farther down in a trashcan than Oscar the Grouch's basement.

UnamSanctam wrote:Shut the fuck up.

jmdogg88

Postby jmdogg88 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Did you have a bad Tuesday, little fella'? It'll be ok; it's probably just gas.

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Happy Gilmore wrote:Kid I knew from school said during the break that he finished every section 5+ minutes early and sat there twiddling his thumbs glancing around. (I didn't care to check if he actually was or not)... He posted on Facebook a day after we got our scores that he is going to retake. He scored a 157.

He's either a really fast idiot or a lying idiot. Enjoy John Marshall.

Dude that is really harsh...

politics89

Postby politics89 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:28 am

Sourrudedude wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:

He made it seem like it was almost more of the latter, definitely not a structured tutoring session, just general advice I guess.

What? This is ridiculous. How do I get in on this? I'll gladly raffle off hours of my time...

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 am

I know it's fun to laugh at these people, but some of you guys are showing spite and really being dicks about it...

North

Postby North » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:54 am

Xixak wrote:I know it's fun to laugh at these people, but some of you guys are showing spite and really being dicks about it...

That's what's funny.

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:55 am

North wrote:
Xixak wrote:I know it's fun to laugh at these people, but some of you guys are showing spite and really being dicks about it...

That's what's funny.

Idk some of these posts are making me wince.

North

Postby North » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:09 am

Xixak wrote:
North wrote:

That's what's funny.

Idk some of these posts are making me wince.

Plenty of other people have grandstanded ITT about it being elitist or whatever. It's still trucking.

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:19 am

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Postby North » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:42 am

Sourrudedude wrote:Wait! Is TLS elitist!?

Nah, TLS is informed-ist and job-ist.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”