Overheard at the LSAT

PDaddy

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby PDaddy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:36 am

KevinP wrote:
2807 wrote:A guy next to me was in his first year of law school at a fourth tier. HE was there to take again to raise his score to increase his chances at a transfer.

Never heard of that before.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

He would have to forfeit his entire 1L, but it might be worth it. As long as he's in good standing.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 am

wtrcoins3 wrote:2) Haven't read through this thread, assuming same story elsewhere. But someone was really confused that we needed a picture, and asked me if I thought the proctors actually cared. She never ended up taking the test.

Makes me wonder if this happens often enough that it would be profitable to show up at a large test center with an instant camera to take pictures for people who fuck it away.

I know now that I was *way* too worried about my picture. I took a second picture of myself because I thought the faint shadow on the backdrop in the first one might be "too much". I needn't have worried - one guy at my center had an inkjet-printed photo that looked like it was cropped from a prom picture. He was standing almost sideways to the camera, but I think he was saved because his face was pretty much turned toward the camera.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:44 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:2) Haven't read through this thread, assuming same story elsewhere. But someone was really confused that we needed a picture, and asked me if I thought the proctors actually cared. She never ended up taking the test.

Makes me wonder if this happens often enough that it would be profitable to show up at a large test center with an instant camera to take pictures for people who fuck it away.

good idea

100 bucks a pic?

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 am

Nova wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

good idea

100 bucks a pic?

Almost any price point would be profitable, if I were confident there would be at least 1-2 takers. Instant color film costs me less than a buck a shot, and I know people would be thrilled to pony up at least $20 if it meant they could take the test. What's the penalty for being turned away at the test center? Do you forfeit your fees *and* have it count against your maximum number of attempts?

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:53 am

pretty sure it would not count as an attempt. no money back of course.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 am

ScottRiqui wrote:

I know now that I was *way* too worried about my picture. I took a second picture of myself because I thought the faint shadow on the backdrop in the first one might be "too much". I needn't have worried - one guy at my center had an inkjet-printed photo that looked like it was cropped from a prom picture. He was standing almost sideways to the camera, but I think he was saved because his face was pretty much turned toward the camera.

I find it funny that so many people had what looked like professional pictures for their LSAT photo. I took mine on facetime and printed it out with my printer on computer paper. LSAT proctors don't need to see the blackheads on your nose to realize who you are.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:04 am

I did a Walgreens passport photo and paid $8 for the peace of mind (did the same thing last take).

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:05 am

californiauser wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

I find it funny that so many people had what looked like professional pictures for their LSAT photo. I took mine on facetime and printed it out with my printer on computer paper. LSAT proctors don't need to see the blackheads on your nose to realize who you are.

Honestly, I didn't know how strict they'd be. The LSAC site sure has a bunch of examples of how NOT to do it. And my wife once had a passport application rejected because her pictures were slightly overexposed (although I realize that's a different situation entirely).

You would have laughed if you had seen me taking my picture - backdrop, film camera, studio strobes, light meter; the whole nine yards. But I'm a photographer, so I already had everything set up. I just wanted something better than an inkjet printout to be safe, and didn't want to spend the 45 minutes and $10 to go have passport pictures taken.

MKX

Postby MKX » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:09 am

Had some good ones before the test started. I took the test at Northwestern since it's the school I want to go to, but I didn't feel good about my test so I will be there in October to retake. Anyways stories:

Guy 1: Do you plan on applying here? (NU)
Guy 2: No. I want to go to John Marshall, it's better for me.
Guy 1: Yeah I hear you, I could get in here, but I'm gonna go out to some school in Washington or Oregon because I want to do environmental law and since its more environmental there than here, it'll be better for me.

Random Guy 1: How much did you study?
Random Guy 2: Well I finished finals like a month ago so I took a week off, then I started to study.
Random Guy 1: Yeah me too! Finals was too much man, I need that week off.

Me: Is this your first time taking it?
Some guy: Yeah you?
Me: Officially, yeah, but I took a lot of practice ones.
Some guy: Oh...yeah this is my first time.

:roll:

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:40 am

AT9 wrote:Wow, this thread makes my LSAT experience today seem really boring. I feel a lot better now. Not about the test, about my life in general. Thank you!

yeah, this

IvyLeagueRedneck

Postby IvyLeagueRedneck » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:41 am

I remembered something else about my 61 year-old one-eyed guy. When the proctor (deep Southern accent - picture Foghorn Leghorn) gave his speech about "Here's a final reminder: does anybody here have a cell phone? Anybody? Because it's AGAINST THE RULES!" my 61-year old started to passively raise his hand. The proctor, however, didn't see his hand, and continued, "Because if you have a cell phone, you will be AUTOMATICALLY DISMISSED!" The old man was immediately frightened, and decided it would be better to risk keeping his cell phone hidden than to keep his hand raised and be dismissed before the test had even begun.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:42 am

PDaddy wrote:
KevinP wrote:
2807 wrote:A guy next to me was in his first year of law school at a fourth tier. HE was there to take again to raise his score to increase his chances at a transfer.

Never heard of that before.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

He would have to forfeit his entire 1L, but it might be worth it. As long as he's in good standing.

Are you allowed to restart law school somewhere else?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Great stories guys. June 13 delivered. Keep them coming.

ZGr88n

Postby ZGr88n » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Guy 1: All you need is a 161 and you've got it made.
Me: I'd be super disappointed with a 161, I've been PTing around 170.
Guy 1: Your full of it.
Me: No seriously I would re-take a 161 or I wouldn't go to law school.
Guy 2: Your out of your mind man, and don't know what your talking about, I'd kill for a 161.

Thoughts inside my brain: "You ignorant fools have no idea what you're even talking about. 161 and have it made???? Did you research anything at all? Both of you should cancel right now, go home, and start going through TLS forums (and learn something for once)!"

But instead I replied with a sigh, and moved on with my life by going to talk to other people.

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Not really an overheard, but here's what a weird guy at my centre did:

-Kept swearing under his breath and what I assume was diagramming extremely loudly, for section one and three I just kept hearing "Fuck, fuck fuck, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit"
-Almost exposed himself to the people waiting in line for the urinal talking about how good he felt about the test
-Ran out of the bathroom making gorilla noises and then started stretching and doing push ups
-Got pissed at the proctor once he found out we have to wait around a month for results

Other than that it was a great centre, only ten people were writing.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:32 pm

steel_shot wrote:Not really an overheard, but here's what a weird guy at my centre did:

-Kept swearing under his breath and what I assume was diagramming extremely loudly, for section one and three I just kept hearing "Fuck, fuck fuck, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit"
-Almost exposed himself to the people waiting in line for the urinal talking about how good he felt about the test
-Ran out of the bathroom making gorilla noises and then started stretching and doing push ups
-Got pissed at the proctor once he found out we have to wait around a month for results

People in Canada/Europe sure are weird.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:32 pm

jas1503 wrote:
Nova wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:Guy walks out during break, " How did you do, I did just about as good as everyone "

The woman he was talking too, "Ya me too"

I go inside after break and see his last two sections the last 5-10 questions are all C. LOL

He came with TTTT Pencils, short point sharpened. chump. lol

This User has Been Reported to LSAC for Cheating.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is this serious???

You think you can look at someone's answer sheet without consequences. Every member of the bar who read this has a DUTY to report it.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 pm

no offense, I used to find this thread really funny, but I realize that all of you are pathetic geek losers now.

You're not really superior to anyone because you found an online forum. And btw, costco. $4.99. 10 mins. 4 passport photos. Doesn't take 45 mins and $10.

You guys need to live a little.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:26 pm

warandpeace wrote:no offense, I used to find this thread really funny, but I realize that all of you are pathetic geek losers now.

You're not really superior to anyone because you found an online forum. And btw, costco. $4.99. 10 mins. 4 passport photos. Doesn't take 45 mins and $10.

I see the Lounge is about to have a new reg.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:35 pm

warandpeace wrote:no offense, I used to find this thread really funny, but I realize that all of you are pathetic geek losers now.

You came for the Elitism, but common sense finally set in

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jas1503 wrote:Is this serious???

You think you can look at someone's answer sheet without consequences. Every member of the bar who read this has a DUTY to report it.

Missed the part about him looking at the answer sheet of the guy with all Cs. I'm a bit s l o ...w

jp7420

Postby jp7420 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Nothing that remarkable at my place, other than that the proctor was unexpectedly quirky and amusing.

mvonh001 wrote:Guy walks out during break, " How did you do, I did just about as good as everyone "

The woman he was talking too, "Ya me too"

I go inside after break and see his last two sections the last 5-10 questions are all C. LOL

"Doing about as good as everyone" as an informality would normally be taken to mean "getting an average score" (i.e., about 151), which is easily doable even if you had to guess on a ton of questions for want of time.

jp7420

Postby jp7420 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:06 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:I did a Walgreens passport photo and paid $8 for the peace of mind (did the same thing last take).

Same thing here. My expression in it came out to be super weird, though, but that was my fault. Hope the guy at the desk didn't pay that much attention. >_>

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:23 pm

sublime wrote:
Br3v wrote:
steel_shot wrote:Not really an overheard, but here's what a weird guy at my centre did:

People in Canada/Europe sure are weird.

During PT's I curse a decent amount - under my breath, yet still audible enough. Sometimes it comes out like I am talking to the test. Like when I come to a particularly bullshit question "What the fuck, LSAT. You fucking serious?" lol

Cursing at PTs is pretty normal haha, especially with those bullshit questions! The first LG definitely doesn't deserve 20 "fucks" though. It was more of the gorilla noises and break aerobics that got me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”