Overheard at the LSAT

Hannibal

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Hannibal » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:50 pm

Before my funny thing, I was talking to a the girl who was seated next to me before the test started. I successfully avoided the awkward score convo, but she talked about hoping for UOP. She was pretty realistic and informed and adorable so i was rooting for her. I lost track of her at the break, but when i came back she sat down and put her head on her desk. Pretty sure she was sobbing. I was pissed off after i botched section 5 so i didnt stick around but i hope she did well.

Anyway, overheard:
"Excuse me, can you write the time remaining on the board?
"No, I will only give a verbal 5 minute warning."
"But how will I know how much time I have?"
"Theres a clock over there."
"Can you reset the clock when you start sections for me?"

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:03 pm

2011Law wrote:
northwood wrote:take test high, score high on test

Which of the following flawed arguments contains reasoning most similar to the reasoning in the argument above?

I'm a stressed-out college student. Also, I have organs. Therefore, since some brick houses have cooks inside them, car thieves are more likely to get caught and cows are more likely to produce geothermal steel power.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:13 pm

alphagamma wrote:
2011Law wrote:

Which of the following flawed arguments contains reasoning most similar to the reasoning in the argument above?

I'm a stressed-out college student. Also, I have organs. Therefore, since some brick houses have cooks inside them, car thieves are more likely to get caught and cows are more likely to produce geothermal steel power.

Which of the following arguments contain flawed reasoning similar to the argument above?
(A) Dinosaurs were killed by volcanic ash in the atmosphere, and there are volcanic rock formations in India created roughly at the time of extinction of dinosaurs. Therefore, the outer core of the Earth has stopped spinning and Aaron Eckhart is our only hope.
(B) Recent advances in history have been able to more clearly articulate the translation of Native American languages into Esperanto. In addition, Esperanto is the lingua franca of the University of San Marino. Therefore, San Marino is located inside Italy.
(C) Nigerian computer scientists are responsible for many parallel computing schemes. In addition, parallel computing is responsible for many advances in Nigeria. Therefore, as Nigerian royalty, I would like you to wire $1000 immediately to my offshore account, as I am at risk of losing my vast wealth. You will be well compensated.
(D) Honeybees are able to recognize their kin by eating their young. In addition, bees are attracted to sugary drinks. Therefore, Michael Bloomberg's soda tax is justified.
(E) stop it the LSAT was yesterday whyyyyyyyyyyy

Cyanide315

Postby Cyanide315 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:44 pm

alphagamma wrote:
2011Law wrote:

+1

So much win.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:49 pm

I mostly agree that people should be able to say what they want on here and people shouldn't take it so seriously. however, does anyone else notice that when people make a mistake or have a question that might be considered "naive", they prostrate themselves and apologize profusely in anticipation of the duche-storm to come? I'm just saying.

aesis

Postby aesis » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:55 pm

Guy 1: "You brought Advil?"
Me: "Yeah. Just in case."
Proctor in the hallway: "Gentlemen. No talking."
Me: "This is break. I can talk about non-LSAT stuff."
Proctor: "No."
Guy 1: "Give me some of your Advil."

tazmolover

Postby tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:00 pm

aesis wrote:Guy 1: "You brought Advil?"

Watch him write a misconduct note secretly to the LSAC.

kaftka juice

Postby kaftka juice » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Last edited by kaftka juice on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:03 pm

kaftka juice wrote:
kwais wrote:I mostly agree that people should be able to say what they want on here and people shouldn't take it so seriously. however, does anyone else notice that when people make a mistake or have a question that might be considered "naive", they prostrate themselves and apologize profusely in anticipation of the duche-storm to come? I'm just saying.

+1
Def have to agree with you there. I was quite intimidated to post anything on here at first. Unfortunately I'm guessing law school will have a similar feel...

Not really.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:13 pm

aesis wrote:Guy 1: "You brought Advil?"

What's the official policy here? IME everyone was talking to each other during the break.

kaftka juice

Postby kaftka juice » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Last edited by kaftka juice on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:14 pm

I don't have any individual funny quotes, but I took the test in Fullerton, CA and one of the proctor's assistants was really freaked out when passing out/collecting materials. I don't know why...it mist have been her first time working for LSAC or something. She messed up passing out the materials like twice, and she was literally shaking she was so nervous.

I couldn't help but laugh thinking, here I am nervous as he'll about TAKING the LSAT, and here someone equally nervous about handing out the damned test. That actually helped to ease my nerves because I was laughing right before the test.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:16 pm

There was a girl crying outside my test center

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:19 pm

No funny stories for me, but someone in my testing room (there were like 8 of us) just left after the break. Everyone kinda thought that was amusing.

/terrible story

whitefeather2011

Postby whitefeather2011 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:19 pm

I grinned throughout my whole test
I'm not a terrrible person, I swear! I just can't help it! I smile when I'm nervous lol
But everyone else looked miserable, and I'm pretty sure they kept looking at me and HAATTTINNGG me for looking like I was just owning this test, and I wanted everyone to know it.

sigh lol

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:20 pm

granger wrote:ITT: a bunch of self-satisfied snobs make fun of people who, gasp, didn't fixate on the LSAT

ITT: a bunch of people who worked their asses off to get what they want making fun of people who, gasp, expected to walk into one of the hardest standardized tests on the planet almost completely unprepared and just wing it.

ITT: a bunch of people who have willingly put themselves through hematohidrosis over the past few months--as well as expended large amounts of time and possibly money--making fun of people who, gasp, spent the last few months lazing around and expect to be rewarded for it.

ITT: a bunch of --ImageRemoved-- (win) making fun of, gasp, a bunch of Image (fail).

(granger...you sound like you will make an excellent lawyer. With your attitude you'll fit right in. Judges and clients are pretty tolerable when it comes to being unprepared.)

jamiLAW

Postby jamiLAW » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:29 pm

And you know that because you're a lawyer? Lol

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:37 pm

jamiLAW wrote:I don't have any individual funny quotes, but I took the test in Fullerton, CA and one of the proctor's assistants was really freaked out when passing out/collecting materials. I don't know why...it mist have been her first time working for LSAC or something. She messed up passing out the materials like twice, and she was literally shaking she was so nervous.

I couldn't help but laugh thinking, here I am nervous as he'll about TAKING the LSAT, and here someone equally nervous about handing out the damned test. That actually helped to ease my nerves because I was laughing right before the test.

Hilarious.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:39 pm

ITT: A bunch of people who didn't prepare for the Oct. LSAT sign up for TLS and troll this thread.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Adjudicator wrote:ITT: A bunch of people who didn't prepare for the Oct. LSAT sign up for TLS and troll this thread.

Superior poster feelz superior.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:47 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:
granger wrote:ITT: a bunch of self-satisfied snobs make fun of people who, gasp, didn't fixate on the LSAT

ITT: a bunch of --ImageRemoved-- (win) making fun of, gasp, a bunch of Image (fail).

Rufio - Rufio - RU-FI-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:51 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:ITT: A bunch of people who didn't prepare for the Oct. LSAT sign up for TLS and troll this thread.

Not at all. Just making an observation.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

Me too.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:31 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:It would be elitist if only certain people had access to good information, or the best prep materials. But everyone has equal access to those things. The difference is in how aggressively they seek it out and apply it. There's no elitism possible here.

I lol'd at the sheer ignorance and naivete.

Anyone can go to a library and surf these boards for free. Anyone can download torrents of all 60 tests for free. Anyone (like me) can apply for an lsac fee waiver and get free study materials. I lol'd at your sheer ignorance an naivete.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:31 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

Me too.

Well, perhaps we're both right. :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”