Overheard at the LSAT

Sauer Grapes

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:21 am

john1990 wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
Kikero wrote:Never knew this thread existed.

After the LSAT was over while I was walking back to my car I heard a guy complaining about an RC section. He was telling his buddy he hoped that it was the experimental since he'd put all C's for the answers. Unfortunately, I had only one RC section, so I know it wasn't the experimental.

Not everyone has the same experimental section. He may very well have had two RC sections on his exam. HTH

was that guy you heard you yourself? :mrgreen:

Uh. No.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:21 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:

After the LSAT was over while I was walking back to my car I heard a guy complaining about an RC section. He was telling his buddy he hoped that it was the experimental since he'd put all C's for the answers. Unfortunately, I had only one RC section, so I know it wasn't the experimental.

Not everyone has the same experimental section. He may very well have had two RC sections on his exam. HTH

I'm posting from my phone so I was keeping it short. He mentioned a specific passage that was on my test in the only RC section.

Also yes, I confess, it was me. :roll:

ETA: To clarify I'm not saying he only had one RC section and somehow thought it was experimental, I'm saying that he probably had two RC sections but that the one he hoped was experimental was not.
Last edited by Kikero on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:23 am

Kikero wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:

I'm posting from my phone so I was keeping it short. He mentioned a specific passage that was on my test in the only RC section.

Also yes, I confess, it was me. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKgGKIieh0M

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Someone showed up with an opaque tan CVS bag as their "clear ziploc bag," they were complaining that they didn't think "they'd be that strict."

Read your candidate information sheet, damn!

agcl0913

Postby agcl0913 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Two girls were talking before check-in started

Girl 1: Your tattoo is cool. What does it say?
Girl 2: Verbose.
Girl 1: What does that mean?

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:05 pm

I want to go to UH, and I think I heard the lowest they let in is a 140, so I want to get that.

(UH's median is 163).

Sadieche2464

Postby Sadieche2464 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:12 pm

"I have a bottle of champagne to pop as soon as I get home"

Sadieche2464

Postby Sadieche2464 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:15 pm

... And some girl says "the LSAT is really hard"
Another Girl replies "I have absolutely no sympathy for people who can't score high on this test"
1st girl turns away and doesn't say another word for the rest of the time

MLBrandow

Postby MLBrandow » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Guy shows up with a just-opened 6 pack of mechanical pencils, no bag, no snack, no water, no nothing.

Same guy brags about taking the MCAT and how he's taking the LSAT so he can "keep his options open."

Spends most of the pre-test time and breaks macking on two girls sitting next to me, and by the end of the test has this glazed over "oh shit" look on his face.

I glance at his essay, which is half as long as mine while written in larger print, and I see a signature in the essay window... not sure what that's about.

I'll admit i was listening scrupulously for something good to put here, but in the end that's all I really got.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:24 pm

agcl0913 wrote:Two girls were talking before check-in started

Girl 1: Your tattoo is cool. What does it say?
Girl 2: Verbose.
Girl 1: What does that mean?

< Had to google what verbose meant... :oops: lol

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:25 pm

"Excuse me, ma'am, why are you on section 2?"
"Umm..."
"You realize we are on section 1, right?"
"Uh, I think I flipped here accidentally..."
"Ma'am, I'm going to need you to come with me."

What a bummer.

Also:
"Why doesn't Panera sell beer? I mean, it's just liquid bread"

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:03 pm

bdm261 wrote:Someone showed up with an opaque tan CVS bag as their "clear ziploc bag," they were complaining that they didn't think "they'd be that strict."

Read your candidate information sheet, damn!

Shiiiiiit.
We had people bring in a cell phone ("Oh, I forgot! I can't have this in here, can I?") to wearing hats to walking in and out of our room....

Wily

Postby Wily » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:09 pm

cc.celina wrote:"Excuse me, ma'am, why are you on section 2?"
"Umm..."

What a bummer.

What happened to the cheater? I likes me a bit of schadenfreude.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Wily wrote:
"Umm..."

What a bummer.

They let her keep working for like ten minutes and then came back and told her she couldn't take the test and had to leave
She kept saying "I didn't notice the 2 at the top!! I swear!"
Er...

SnapSnapSnap

Postby SnapSnapSnap » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:16 pm

-Normal smalltalk with people in my group before the test. This middle-aged lady asks if it's my first time taking the LSAT, I say yes and ask her the same. She says it's her 5th time, and she really hopes it goes better this time. I ask if she's taken a prep class or done anything differently this time around to get the score she wants. She says, "Nah, you'll see once we start, there's no way to study for this test. It's just logic. It's either you think that way, or you don't. You'll see." [Did you notice she assumed I'd never seen the material before? Classic.] I couldn't help myself, I said it as nicely as I could, but I had to ask, "So, if you 'either think that way or you don't', and you've already taken it four times, um, you know, do you think maybe... you... just... don't... think that way?" Confused stare.

-At the end of section 4, proctor announces, "Look, we know someone in here has a phone, or some type of electronic. We've been hearing it vibrate since we returned from the break." Everyone is totally confused, no one has heard anything. The group (about 50 ppl) is unanimous that we haven't heard anything, but the proctors insist they've been hearing a vibrating noise. The main one says, "We know someone has an electronic in here, so to that person, you have two choices. Either just cancel your score and leave right now, or EVERYONE IN THE ROOM is going to get their score reported with an irregularity that they were suspected of having an electronic device inside the test room." That's when shit hit the fan. It was like Lord of the Flies. A handful of girls started crying, guys starting screaming & cussing at the proctors, it was chaos. One guy makes himself coherent above the other shouting, and yells, "We don't know each other! We're seated alphabetically, we're not friends! No one in here is going to cover up for anyone else. If anyone in here had a device, we'd throw them under the bus so fucking fast--" He started getting up out of his seat like he was going to punch someone, so the proctors told him to sit down and for everyone to wait while one went outside and called LSAC to ask them what to do. They come back and say that LSAC told them to resume the test, but walk around the room through the last section to see if they can locate the so-called device and then remove that person. I happened to be in the back row so I alone knew when they discovered the cause of the "vibrating". It was the fucking air conditioning vent turning on and off. Needless to say, they did not make an announcement of their findings.

-One more: Last year, picking up a friend who took the test at University of La Verne School of Law (provisionally-accredited shithole in a residential neighborhood in SoCal), waiting outside & overheard some 3Ls:
Guy 1: Man, I remember the LSAT, that shit sucked. My goal was 155, I was getting low 150s on every practice test. Then test day came, and bam, 147.
Guy 2: Yeah, that sucks, but you got into law school, so whatever, right?
Guy 1: Yeah, barely!
Guy 2: Well it doesn't really matter anyway. All these fuckin' idiots, spending all this fuckin' money to go to UCLA, USC, Berkeley, are so retarded. Next year, I'm gonna have the exact same degree, know the exact same stuff, pass the exact same bar exam, have the exact same license as they do, for way cheaper. (scoffs) What a fuckin' waste of money.
Guy 1: (scoffs in agreement) I know, man. Joke's on them.

Fo rllz.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Best 8th post in TLS history.

Wily

Postby Wily » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:22 pm

cc.celina wrote:
Wily wrote:
"Umm..."

What a bummer.

They let her keep working for like ten minutes and then came back and told her she couldn't take the test and had to leave
Er...

Damn, what a nightmare. I bet she'll get a misconduct flag on her LSAC account, so she'll always carry this incident around forever like a scarlet letter for the rest of her academic life. Kind of like an arrest record.

I can't say I don't feel a modicum of sympathy for her, with how overly important this test is to people, and how desperate some people are to get an edge.

Jaytray

Postby Jaytray » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:30 pm

cc.celina wrote:
Wily wrote:
"Umm..."

What a bummer.

Er...

Where were you sitting in relation to this girl? I was the guy on her right (curly hair, glasses, black shirt). Her getting kicked out totally threw off my concentration on the first section.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 pm

SnapSnapSnap wrote:
-At the end of section 4, proctor announces, "Look, we know someone in here has a phone, or some type of electronic. We've been hearing it vibrate since we returned from the break." Everyone is totally confused, no one has heard anything. The group (about 50 ppl) is unanimous that we haven't heard anything, but the proctors insist they've been hearing a vibrating noise. The main one says, "We know someone has an electronic in here, so to that person, you have two choices. Either just cancel your score and leave right now, or EVERYONE IN THE ROOM is going to get their score reported with an irregularity that they were suspected of having an electronic device inside the test room." That's when shit hit the fan. It was like Lord of the Flies. A handful of girls started crying, guys starting screaming & cussing at the proctors, it was chaos. One guy makes himself coherent above the other shouting, and yells, "We don't know each other! We're seated alphabetically, we're not friends! No one in here is going to cover up for anyone else. If anyone in here had a device, we'd throw them under the bus so fucking fast--" He started getting up out of his seat like he was going to punch someone, so the proctors told him to sit down and for everyone to wait while one went outside and called LSAC to ask them what to do. They come back and say that LSAC told them to resume the test, but walk around the room through the last section to see if they can locate the so-called device and then remove that person. I happened to be in the back row so I alone knew when they discovered the cause of the "vibrating". It was the fucking air conditioning vent turning on and off. Needless to say, they did not make an announcement of their findings.

I'm imagining a Lord of the Flies/Hunger Games scenario and it's cracking me up. Especially "WE'RE NOT FRIENDS"

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 pm

MLBrandow wrote:Guy shows up with a just-opened 6 pack of mechanical pencils, no bag, no snack, no water, no nothing.

Same guy brags about taking the MCAT and how he's taking the LSAT so he can "keep his options open."

Spends most of the pre-test time and breaks macking on two girls sitting next to me, and by the end of the test has this glazed over "oh shit" look on his face.

I glance at his essay, which is half as long as mine while written in larger print, and I see a signature in the essay window... not sure what that's about.

I'll admit i was listening scrupulously for something good to put here, but in the end that's all I really got.

Hahahahahaha laughed at all of this. pure gold!

ETA: and just died laughing again at the cell phone vibration story... this is by far my favorite thread on TLS.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:11 pm

Jaytray wrote:
cc.celina wrote:
Wily wrote:
"Umm..."

What a bummer.

Er...

Where were you sitting in relation to this girl? I was the guy on her right (curly hair, glasses, black shirt). Her getting kicked out totally threw off my concentration on the first section.

Hahaha I was in the row in front of her a bit to the right, between an asian guy and a hispanic-looking girl, wearing a hoodie. You were probably directly behind me! I KNOW right, I couldn't deal, good thing it was LR because if it was RC i would have flipped a bitch and canceled

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:17 pm

cc.celina wrote:Hahaha I was in the row in front of her a bit to the right, between an asian guy and a hispanic-looking girl, wearing a hoodie. You were probably directly behind me! I KNOW right, I couldn't deal, good thing it was LR because if it was RC i would have flipped a bitch and canceled

lol people who still see race and color in 2012. I seriously can't see it!

honeycomb

Postby honeycomb » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 pm

People outside during the break.

Guy 1: Aww man that was rough
Guy 2: Did you even study!?
Guy 1: I mean, kind of... Did you?
Guy 2: Obviously! I even took a f**king PRACTICE TEST
Guy 1 looks away terrified

Also before the test began I had a girl come up to me with her two parents behind her and her dad looks at me and says "Excuse me do you know what time I should pick my daughter up?" Me: "I'm not exactly sure it will all depend on the proctors" (confused because I too am taking the LSAT and like a big girl don't have my parents with me...) Obnoxious dad: "Well what the heck are we supposed to do? They won't even let her bring her CELL PHONE in can you believe it?!?" Me: "I'd come around 5 and just wait" Obnoxious dad: "Oh so I'm assuming you've actually taken one of these things before!? Where the heck did you come up with that!?" Kind passerby: "Well, it's kind of just common sense..." hahahahhahahaa

MeSoLitigious

Postby MeSoLitigious » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:22 pm

I don't know why this surprises me, but the fact that someone could purportedly prep for months for this test, and then not read ANY information on the Candidate Information Sheet just blows my mind.

Guy today didn't write his name and info on the back of his photo, didn't tape it on, just didn't do basically any of the things that the sheet said to do. And then he was all confused asking people what to do... i kept telling him "Dude, just read the paper you have in your hand RIGHT NOW, that is where the info is!" and he just could not grasp the concept. :| Amazing. :roll:

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Proctor stopped our writing section 8 minutes early

I didn't get to finish >:-|

After collecting it the other proctor realizes the mistake and we get to finish after I pre-maturely wrapped up my argument :evil:

oh well. uneventful at JFK U in Concord. some kid working on LR while she was collecting the tests was about all I saw.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”