Overheard at the LSAT

LSAT Blog

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Postby LSAT Blog » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Eve0000 wrote:During the break overheard a conversation between two girls...

A: I hate that America does this thing where everything is just based on one test. I don't think this test is a good representation of how good of a lawyer you will be.

B: Well I guess they are trying to test your logic since the whole test is about logic.

A: My boyfriend and all the lawyers he works with keep telling me that nothing you do at work is like the LSAT. It's so stupid that everything is based on just this one test. I don't even want to go to law school, my mom is making me!

(More LSAT discussion)

B: My favorite section is logic games mainly because I just hate reading. I never read for college. I refuse to read.

#worstreasonstogotolawschool

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Ha, there were certainly some gems:

Girls sitting behind me in the auditorium before everyone was separated into their own rooms talking to a friend of hers:
"Yeah, I know you can take a wristwatch to take with you during the test, but I don't know, I just can't wear watches. I thought about buying one at Target, they're only like $12 there, but they're just so bulky and I...I like just can't wear them."

Guy in the testing room to another guy:
"Do you remember if there is a reading or a writing section on this". As though there was only one or the other.

Girl to another girl standing in line for the bathroom to another girl:
"I think I'm doing okay, you know not too bad. Are we like...supposed to be going fast?"
Other girl silently nods.

Also, some other fun things:
- In the auditorium as we were all being siphoned off into other rooms, the first set (letters changed) that was called were names K-Mont. Cue half of the auditorium standing up because their names started with "O", "N", or "T". Some people got what was going on, but it wasn't completely resolved until we got up to our room and like 10 people had to be sent back.

- We were testing at high school in the cafeteria and outside the words "Show your I.D." were permanently painted on the wall. Just fitting as we all had to do that.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Just read this whole thread and loled so many times.

Nothing super eventful/entertaining happened in my administration last year. Although we did have an obnoxious proctor who went around while everyone was getting settled and made everyone with pencil sharpener on their desk go put it in their ziploc bag. Then she started reading the test instructions, and when she got to the part about what we could have on our desks she goes "The only things you may have on your desk are tissues, pencils, erasers, pencil...", realizes the instructions say that we can have pencil sharpeners, is clearly embarrassed that she didn't bother reading the directions before hassling all of us, and then pretended that the word "pencils" was repeated in the instructions.

One of my friends took the test today and said that some girl shoved her entire purse and a wad of loose papers into a ziploc bag right before going into the test. At the end of the test the proctor called her up to the front. Why would anyone think this is ok? It completely defeats the purpose of the ziploc bag rule to begin with. Also, it kind of blows that she sat there and took the entire test just to (more than likely) either have it cancelled or have an irregularity reported. I wonder why they didn't do anything about it sooner...

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Hearing people talk about getting scores just above the 50%ile overall to attend a private TTT for $30k+... made me sad and at least happy that I get their score in two sections :/ But mostly sad

foolie

Postby foolie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:31 pm

Nothing too interesting...almost got into an argument with some girl who insisted that there was a curve because Kaplan told her so, but didn't feel like explaining the details to her.

Also, I heard a guy claim to have done great on the games section, crediting his decision to "write that shit out, like, 'if a, then b' and all that".

Mitterrand

Postby Mitterrand » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Right before the test started we had a girl ask if there was a penalty for guessing. She later asked if the writing section was scored. :shock:

paul34

Postby paul34 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:58 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:Hearing people talk about getting scores just above the 50%ile overall to attend a private TTT for $30k+... made me sad and at least happy that I get their score in two sections :/ But mostly sad

foolie wrote:Nothing too interesting...almost got into an argument with some girl who insisted that there was a curve because Kaplan told her so, but didn't feel like explaining the details to her.

Also, I heard a guy claim to have done great on the games section, crediting his decision to "write that shit out, like, 'if a, then b' and all that".

paul34 wrote:A guy got ejected for using his cellphone in the hallway during break. I hope he reads the rules next time.

These are all examples of things that are not funny but DO make you sound like a douche for posting them here. Please none of you come to my school.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:49 pm

shoeshine wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote:Hearing people talk about getting scores just above the 50%ile overall to attend a private TTT for $30k+... made me sad and at least happy that I get their score in two sections :/ But mostly sad

foolie wrote:Nothing too interesting...almost got into an argument with some girl who insisted that there was a curve because Kaplan told her so, but didn't feel like explaining the details to her.

paul34 wrote:A guy got ejected for using his cellphone in the hallway during break. I hope he reads the rules next time.

These are all examples of things that are not funny but DO make you sound like a douche for posting them here. Please none of you come to my school.

Sort of like your avatar . . . :roll:

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:51 pm

shoeshine wrote:

??? When someone was talking to me over break about aspiring towards that score, I wished them luck and we talked about what they thought of law school and where they worked. I didn't sob for them or anything and they could very well be making the only choice that affords them the opportunity to achieve their goal: becoming a lawyer. Being sad that they will likely end up in insurmountable debt and have been deceived by incomplete employment statistics isn't douchey; it's human nature. I was fortunate enough to come upon TLS and other websites that helped me at least operate with more information about law schools while it's almost clear that these people haven't and still believe that a JD is guaranteed money, like that lady who took a leave from work to go to some unaccredited university in Boston (the youtube video that's floating around in one of the other subforums).

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:53 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Sort of like your avatar . . . :roll:

You don't like Bill Clinton? Arguably one of our best presidents and a ladies man to boot?

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:54 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

??? When someone was talking to me over break about aspiring towards that score, I wished them luck and we talked about what they thought of law school and where they worked. I didn't sob for them or anything and they could very well be making the only choice that affords them the opportunity to achieve their goal: becoming a lawyer. Being sad that they will likely end up in insurmountable debt and have been deceived by incomplete employment statistics isn't douchey; it's human nature. I was fortunate enough to come upon TLS and other websites that helped me at least operate with more information about law schools while it's almost clear that these people haven't and still believe that a JD is guaranteed money, like that lady who took a leave from work to go to some unaccredited university in Boston (the youtube video that's floating around in one of the other subforums).

I agree with the previous poster though. When I've read your overheard comments, they def seem douche, even if unintentional.
Last edited by glucose101 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:55 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Again, you completely missed the point of this thread. This isn't about you taking pity on those who are less prepared than you. This is about lulz. Nothing you have posted is funny.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:56 pm

This one here is kind of funny. All he needed to do was read the rules that LSAC sends out like a million times, and are written on the ticket (I think), he has no one to blame but himself. I agree that some stories here make people sound elitist, but this one is a sheer lack of common sense on the part of the idiot w/ the cell phone. I have no sympathy for him. THIS IS NOT VIETNAM, THERE ARE RULES!

Kess

Postby Kess » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:00 pm

One guy in my room raised his hand before the exam and asked the proctor if he knows if the LSAT is still graded out of 180 or is it 100 now?

Hopefully he was joking...

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:02 pm

I overheard a girl during the break complaining about the math section. :?

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:07 pm

shoeshine wrote:Again, you completely missed the point of this thread. This isn't about you taking pity on those who are less prepared than you. This is about lulz. Nothing you have posted is funny.

Whatever. So mocking your peers who are less prepared is better than feeling for them.

Pz ez and gl

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:10 pm

shoeshine wrote:

You don't like Bill Clinton? Arguably one of our best presidents and a ladies man to boot?

You don't understand. My comment says nothing about slick willy. Your avatar is not funny and makes you look like a douche.
HTH

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:20 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

You don't understand. My comment says nothing about slick willy. Your avatar is not funny and makes you look like a douche.
HTH

In the future I will try to live up to your high standards. Sorry we can't all find our avatars on the cover of photography books in the half price bin at Barnes & Noble.

HTH

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:24 pm

shoeshine wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

HTH

In the future I will try to live up to your high standards. Sorry we can't all find our avatars on the cover of photography books in the half price bin at Barnes & Noble.

HTH

:D

snowskate

Postby snowskate » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Flustered and nearly late guy: Sorry I'm late, I went to the wrong classroom.

Proctor: No worries, I'll just need your admission ticket and ID.

Flustered and nearly late guy: Cool, hey can you hold on to my cellphone?

Proctor: You are dismissed, please leave.

hilarious fail. boggles the mind these people presumably aspire to be attorneys and can't read a simple set of rules.

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:38 pm

This was not an overheard at the lsat moment, but threw me off during the test.

Our test center was in a big lecture hall with probably 100 people taking the test in it (there were about 200 ppl taking it yesterday).

Proctor to the girl behind me: Excuse me, can you please remember to keep your eyes on your own test?

Definitely made me self conscious for the rest of the test about where I was placing my answer sheet (I'm left handed so it'd be on my right side)

paul34

Postby paul34 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:39 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

TA923

Postby TA923 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:03 pm

john1990 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
john1990 wrote:sorry no new stories from me, i was talking to a couple people though about the Yankees game and accidentally referred to the Yankees guys as gays "the Yankees didn't use their best gays against the rays" although the Yankees are gay so it w.e
Also i mentioned that i used an adhesive to glue my picture to my ticket stub that i had used to put a safe back together because that's all i had, and i commented on the fact that my picture was black and white and that its not against the rules, to which some one joking replied "dude that's clearly not you your not black and white" lol i aim to entertain :mrgreen:

Fuck you. And not for the Yankee hate. Gay isn't derogatory. Don't use it that way

I simply misspoke, however, i have the freedom to say whatever i want.
Its just semantics anyway, asshole

No kidding. Absolutely no need to tell someone to fuck off because their language wasn't politically correct. Dickwad.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:16 pm

TA923 wrote:
john1990 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
john1990 wrote:sorry no new stories from me, i was talking to a couple people though about the Yankees game and accidentally referred to the Yankees guys as gays "the Yankees didn't use their best gays against the rays" although the Yankees are gay so it w.e
Also i mentioned that i used an adhesive to glue my picture to my ticket stub that i had used to put a safe back together because that's all i had, and i commented on the fact that my picture was black and white and that its not against the rules, to which some one joking replied "dude that's clearly not you your not black and white" lol i aim to entertain :mrgreen:

Fuck you. And not for the Yankee hate. Gay isn't derogatory. Don't use it that way

I simply misspoke, however, i have the freedom to say whatever i want.
Its just semantics anyway, asshole

No kidding. Absolutely no need to tell someone to fuck off because their language wasn't politically correct. Dickwad.

To be fair, he has the freedom to say whatever he wants, but he also has to deal with consequences of saying something stupid/offensive. You have freedom to make yourself look like a douche, and people hearing it have the opportunity to call you out on it. HTH

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”