Overheard at the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
emkay625

Gold

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Post by emkay625 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:36 pm

Pozzo wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Not an overheard, but some chick brought a 10 piece chicken nuggets with sauces as her snack and I feel like she won the LOLSAT.

Overheard - "Yeah, I took my first practice test last night because I feel like I should have taken at least one full one you know?"
Girl on break was destroying a red velvet cupcake. Cuz, just because it's LSAT don't mean you shouldn't...
[+] Spoiler
yessssssss. These chicken nugget and cupcake people are my people.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:41 pm

Any awkward flirting stories? Those are the best.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:42 am

emkay625 wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Not an overheard, but some chick brought a 10 piece chicken nuggets with sauces as her snack and I feel like she won the LOLSAT.

Overheard - "Yeah, I took my first practice test last night because I feel like I should have taken at least one full one you know?"
Girl on break was destroying a red velvet cupcake. Cuz, just because it's LSAT don't mean you shouldn't...
[+] Spoiler
yessssssss. These chicken nugget and cupcake people are my people.
Were they Wendy's nuggets, McNuggets, or, *shudder*, Burger King nuggets? What sauce was she using?

These are the important questions.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:28 pm

addie1412 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:We're assuming the people that are saying they didn't do PT's, or only did a very small number, didn't do many timed sections, correct?

I don't think more than a couple of PT's is necessarily required if a lot of timed sections were done.
Full PTs help with stamina.

Doing a lot of timed sections doesn't prep you for doing five timed sections with a small break in the middle.
I didn't do a single full PT throughout my prep. I did regularly do like 8 timed RC sections in a row, though (with one break in the middle). Or 4 LR sections and 4 LG sections. But I never sat down like "I'm gonna take PT 72 today" and then score it to try to gauge where I was. I think it helped my confidence not knowing exactly where I stood beyond my performance on individual timed sections. I feel like I probably overperformed as a result of not being psychologically burdened or limited by low PTs. I went into it like: if I've gotten -0 on each of the sections before, I'm capable of a 180 vs: I've never PTed above 16x or 17x, therefore I won't be able to score any higher.

Sorry to derail the thread; I'm just passionate about the no-PT route. :lol:
FWIW I think that's a perfectly reasonable strategy :)

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:09 pm

floatie wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:We're assuming the people that are saying they didn't do PT's, or only did a very small number, didn't do many timed sections, correct?

I don't think more than a couple of PT's is necessarily required if a lot of timed sections were done.
Full PTs help with stamina.

Doing a lot of timed sections doesn't prep you for doing five timed sections with a small break in the middle.
I didn't do a single full PT throughout my prep. I did regularly do like 8 timed RC sections in a row, though (with one break in the middle). Or 4 LR sections and 4 LG sections. But I never sat down like "I'm gonna take PT 72 today" and then score it to try to gauge where I was. I think it helped my confidence not knowing exactly where I stood beyond my performance on individual timed sections. I feel like I probably overperformed as a result of not being psychologically burdened or limited by low PTs. I went into it like: if I've gotten -0 on each of the sections before, I'm capable of a 180 vs: I've never PTed above 16x or 17x, therefore I won't be able to score any higher.

Sorry to derail the thread; I'm just passionate about the no-PT route. :lol:
FWIW I think that's a perfectly reasonable strategy :)

Well, I'd argue doing 8 in a row is also going to help with stamina lol. I think the main thing is I'd never recommend going into the LSAT without ever sitting down and doing LSAT sections for like five hours straight. Even if it's not for mental fatigue, it could just be good to get used to writing that much. The first time I took the LSAT I had never done one with an "experimental" section because I never thought about it and I have a bad wrist from cheering that was hurting like hell by the time I got to section 5. Second time, I did so many PTs with the right amount of sections that my wrist was barely even sore by the end. But of course, that's just me lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:15 pm

Again late to the party, but I remember one from September

September test during break -
Me: So do you have a target school?
Other guy: Not really, I just need a reportable score
Me: So you don't care at all about where you go?
Other guy: I just finished my Master's degree and I'm going to practice Native American Law, and I'm part Native American, so it doesn't matter.
Me: ok
Of note: this guy was African American (or at least black) and claimed he was from Alaska. This test was in rural Alabama.
Not necessarily anything wrong, just super weird encounter/conversation

sethnoorzad

New

Post by sethnoorzad » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:17 pm

They were opening the doors and some guy asked me to watch his stuff while he went to the bathroom. If I had thought about it I would have said no. God, we were waiting there for like 20 minutes and he didn't think to go. . .?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:53 pm

34iplaw wrote:Were they Wendy's nuggets, McNuggets, or, *shudder*, Burger King nuggets? What sauce was she using?

These are the important questions.
10 nuggets for $1.49 is a steal even if they are BK! i can respect those nuggets at that price.

Vino.Veritas

Bronze

Post by Vino.Veritas » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:10 pm

sethnoorzad wrote:They were opening the doors and some guy asked me to watch his stuff while he went to the bathroom. If I had thought about it I would have said no. God, we were waiting there for like 20 minutes and he didn't think to go. . .?
I would not trust someone with my stuff pre-LSAT. It all fits in the ziplock anyway - why not bring it??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:14 pm

I have another late one from September.

In line I am trying not to think lsat/law school stuff (failed) and overheard this guy say how Stanford would accept him with a 158. I was thinking, "man they've really dropped their standards haven't they"

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:08 pm

dj9i27 wrote:I have another late one from September.

In line I am trying not to think lsat/law school stuff (failed) and overheard this guy say how Stanford would accept him with a 158. I was thinking, "man they've really dropped their standards haven't they"
Jokes on you, his dad is beyond wealthy and knows a guy

dj9i27

Gold

Post by dj9i27 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:12 pm

Mikey wrote:
dj9i27 wrote:I have another late one from September.

Jokes on you, his dad is beyond wealthy and knows a guy

[youtube]t2AB7YqmmxU[/youtube]

Start at 1:30 and I'll await response.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:32 pm

late to the party here, but I have a couple mildly amusing (or just infuriating) stories from the June test:

1. Of the two proctors checking IDs as we entered, one of them genuinely almost turned away at least 5 people because she didn't think they looked like their test photo or ID (and all of these people followed all of LSAC's rules--the proctor was just being crazy). Luckily there was another proctor there who was just like "no, that is clearly the same person." Scared the shit out of a few test takers though.

2. Same proctor as #1 had a big soda in a cup with a lid & straw which she was slurping on during the test. I was in the front row of the room, so she was only a few feet away from me. Then, DURING a section, she spilled her soda all over the place. She then proceeded to say loudly, "oops! that's why they don't let you guys bring drinks into the test!" In my head I was thinking what the actual fuck is wrong with you lady...SHUT UP! :evil:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:14 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
kkklick wrote:
apaint wrote:June LSAT:

Spacy Friend: Do you know how long this will take?
Me: Probably around 5 hours.
Spacy Friend: Ok, my flight leaves in 6 hours.
Me: hmmmm....did you study?
Spacy Friend: No, do people usually study?
Me: face in palm

October LSAT:

Me: Hey, taking it again? (thinking to myself duh he is taking it again)
Spacy Friend: Yeah, I haven't studied anymore but hopefully I will do a little better.
Me: Thinking to myself that this kid is a glutton for punishment...Where do you want to go to law school?
Spacy Friend: I am not sure, I just got a full ride to Stanford for electrical engineering so I thought I would see if I could get a full ride to law school too so I have options. I got a 176 last time but had to go the bathroom during the test so I missed a few questions.
Me: blank stare
You serious? Wow some people are just intellectually gifted.
I know this is super old, but I'm just now reading this thread.

It's hilarious to me to see that even here people still just make stuff up. Stanford doesn't offer graduate scholarships for electrical engineering until the end of your first year of graduate school (even back in 2010). Even after all of that, they only offer fellowships and such to extremely talented PhD-seekers who have proven themselves during the earlier course of study.

Source: am engineer that received full ride for graduate degree. Nuked Stanford from my list after finding out they didn't offer scholarships
there appear to be ee grad students with full ride MS at stan in their first year. not true?

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:53 pm

Before the Dec test:

35-40 yo woman: "I only get half of the questions done for each section. I don't think it's even possible to get it all done in time. Why do they do that?"
Me: "Yeah, the timing is really tough." I then went on to finish every question...

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:20 am

Bump from Februrary:

me to a friendly taker at break: "Do you think your preparation method is helping you today"
friendly taker: "Oh, there's no way you can REALLY study for this test. I took a diagnostic and felt okay. Did you do more than that?"
me: "ummmm, yeah, I took all 79 tests over the course of four months."
friendly taker: "er, okay..." *walks away*

In fairness she was probably right that I'm kind of insane, but still. Hard to believe these attitudes are still out there with, you know, Google existing and all.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:46 pm

You are insane. Anything earlier than like 30 or 35 isn't quite as useful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:55 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:You are insane. Anything earlier than like 30 or 35 isn't quite as useful.
^nah games from early tests are crucial

A guy asked me if taking two 5-hour energy shots during break would be a good idea :shock:

I told him he knew his limits better than I did. He drank both :lol: not sure how that worked out for him

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:37 pm

This is from the September test, but it just suddenly came back to me. A person waited until the last second to print out his admissions ticket and his printer ran out of ink on the picture portion, so nothing really printed out for the photo. There wasn't anyplace around the testing center to print out a new ticket, and they would not accept a copy of it on his phone, so the guy was turned away. I felt bad for the guy, he was beyond distraught. Luckily it was only September - still had time to blow December out of the water.

Lwschkmabe11

New

Post by Lwschkmabe11 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Took the Monday February lsat. Not overheard but...
Guy next to me refused to hand in his test before the writing section. The proctor took it from him and he wouldn't let go all while trying to "darken in the bubbles". He was asked to stay behind after the test ended but I don't know if his test got cancelled or what.

Also, so many people had a problem filling in their information on the test. At one point I knew the head proctor wanted to say "you all want to be lawyers but can't bubble in your own names!?"

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Bumping this for today's stories:

I'll start. Guy in line asking what other people were hoping for/practicing at. He proceeded to say the following:

"I took it in February got a 144, so not too bad"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Since there were only two of us in my room, we both had the same RA, "What did you think of X passage" in front of the proctor....

Cue me shaking my head left to right and waving my hands in front of my face, with a pretty hard :x :shock: :x :shock: :? of facial expressions, going DO NOT GET ME KICKED OUT OF THE FUCKING TEST ASSHOLE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:14 pm

Lady next to me was really surprised that nothing was related to "law"

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:31 pm

A guy in my testing center raised his hand before the writing sample and asked to re-bubble his whole sheet, he said he bubbled the entire thing in "wrong" (whatever that means, not sure how you mis-bubble 5 sections). When they said no, he asked how to file a complaint, and how to petition LSAC to let him re-bubble it.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:01 am

rowdy wrote:A guy in my testing center raised his hand before the writing sample and asked to re-bubble his whole sheet, he said he bubbled the entire thing in "wrong" (whatever that means, not sure how you mis-bubble 5 sections). When they said no, he asked how to file a complaint, and how to petition LSAC to let him re-bubble it.
Could you slip him a "just GRE, bro!" note after submission? He should know he has options.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”