Overheard at the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:32 pm

I feel superior.....

longdaysjourney

Bronze

Post by longdaysjourney » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:32 pm

jamiLAW wrote:And you know that because you're a lawyer? Lol
I know that because I'm around judges and lawyers daily and have been for over two years and three summers.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:35 pm

My proctor could barely read. She was asian and clearly never even glanced at the rules before reading them out loud. It was kinda funny and made me want to make fun of her but at the same time I felt bad. I was gonna come up to her during the break and be like "So, which law school did you go to?"

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:39 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:
I know that because I'm around judges and lawyers daily and have been for over two years and three summers.
DON'T WASTE MY MOTHERF**KING TIME!!!!

--ImageRemoved--

longdaysjourney

Bronze

Post by longdaysjourney » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:42 pm

MrKappus wrote:
longdaysjourney wrote:
DON'T WASTE MY MOTHERF**KING TIME!!!!

--ImageRemoved--
...and mostly because I watch legal movies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BU2013

New

Post by BU2013 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:43 pm

This is a year old story now, just before the test:

Dude 1: "Dude has your adderall kicked in yet?"
Dude 2: "Been on it a few days so I wouldn't have that problem."
Dude 1: "Shit, I shoulda thought of that--damn your smart, I bet you'll be first in your class at [Florida Coastal School of Law]."

For Realz.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:45 pm

BU2013 wrote:This is a year old story now, just before the test:

Dude 1: "Dude has your adderall kicked in yet?"
Dude 2: "Been on it a few days so I wouldn't have that problem."
Dude 1: "Shit, I shoulda thought of that--damn your smart, I bet you'll be first in your class at [Florida Coastal School of Law]."

For Realz.
:lol:

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Ragged wrote:My proctor could barely read. She was asian and clearly never even glanced at the rules before reading them out loud. It was kinda funny and made me want to make fun of her but at the same time I felt bad. I was gonna come up to her during the break and be like "So, which law school did you go to?"

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:13 pm

aschup wrote:
Ragged wrote:My proctor could barely read. She was asian and clearly never even glanced at the rules before reading them out loud. It was kinda funny and made me want to make fun of her but at the same time I felt bad. I was gonna come up to her during the break and be like "So, which law school did you go to?"
I don't think anyone has gotten banned for being racist against Asians. Blacks/hispanics probably. Asians?

They just scream ORM.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:15 pm

tazmolover wrote:
aschup wrote:
I don't think anyone has gotten banned for being racist against Asians. Blacks/hispanics probably. Asians?

They just scream ORM.
Well in that case:

ThreeYears

Bronze

Post by ThreeYears » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:19 pm

aschup wrote:
tazmolover wrote:
aschup wrote:

They just scream ORM.
Well in that case:

I am Chinese and wary unhappy about this.

dangerousminds

New

Post by dangerousminds » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:22 pm

PDaddy wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:It would be elitist if only certain people had access to good information, or the best prep materials. But everyone has equal access to those things.
have to wholeheartedly disagree with you there...
I once disagreed with the above post, and I am URM. But I have to say that if someone wants the information they can get it. Presumably they went to college, and they have a pre-law advisor. They have peers who are applying, and their peers can serve as resources (book sharing, study groups, etc). They have computers or access to them, and can get on the web, where there is a host of information. If they need books and are too poor to pay full price, they can buy them used. The LSAC gives waivers (over multiple years in some cases) for poorer students.

Some schools offer their students financial aid/scjholarships that pay for grad prep, even if the student doesn't want to apply to his own UG. Most test prep books are sold in the stores, and the same people who claim they have no money are out at clubs on weekends drinking, or at the mall on weekends shopping. Instead of buying new $200 Timberlands and Jordans and spending $50 on alcohol in one night, save that money for law prep.

And LSAT prep courses aren't always a good idea for some students. if you train alone, you can go at your own pace. Many higher scoring URM's have found that this worked better for them after they took a course, where the teachers paid little attention to helping them overcome their weaknesses or were biased towards the other students, for whatever reasons.

A lot of URM's and poor whites do not have the "immediate access" to the same resources (i.e., tutoring, relatives who are lawyers, etc), but they can overcome those disadvantages if they truly want to. At some point, it has to be about desire and discipline.
It's funny because something of sorts was actually discussed on this A&E show about Tony Danza teaching at a school in Philadelphia. Tony Danza was of the view that the students who had not had a strong educational background, could succeed just by their desire and discipline alone; but the experienced teacher had to explain why it was more complicated than that.

Sure everyone can download preptest, and everyone can buy LSAT prep book, but what good are those if they don't understand them at all?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:24 pm

dangerousminds wrote: Sure everyone can download preptest, and everyone can buy LSAT prep book, but what good are those if they don't understand them at all?
They are then useful in letting said person that law school is not appropriate for them..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dangerousminds

New

Post by dangerousminds » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
dangerousminds wrote: Sure everyone can download preptest, and everyone can buy LSAT prep book, but what good are those if they don't understand them at all?
They are then useful in letting said person that law school is not appropriate for them..
Ha. That's like saying school isn't for people with learning disabilities.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:32 pm

dangerousminds wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Ha. That's like saying school isn't for people with learning disabilities.
Did you just say being a minority is the equivalent to having a disability? WOW

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:34 pm

The girl sitting to my right had stolen my chair before I got there and got MAD at me that she had to give it back (assigned seats. . .) The guys to my left had his cell phone in his pocket and vibrating, during the test.

A girl behind me was reading out loud to herself. . . .But the people in my testing room were overall SUPER serious.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:42 pm

A girl told me that she hoped that there were sororities for law students because she would be a shoo-in for president as she would be a grad student.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:44 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:The girl sitting to my right had stolen my chair before I got there and got MAD at me that she had to give it back (assigned seats. . .) The guys to my left had his cell phone in his pocket and vibrating, during the test.

A girl behind me was reading out loud to herself. . . .But the people in my testing room were overall SUPER serious.
Yeah I don't know if I've ever been in such a 'serious' environment before. I chatted with one guy afterwards but nobody and I mean NOBODY exchanged any sort of words/pleasantries etc. through the ordeal. Very strange.

There were 3 hotties in my testing room though.

tenpenny3

New

Post by tenpenny3 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:46 pm

before the test, when you fill out the info and copy the lsac statement, there was one guy who was the last to finish because his name would not fit the space given and asked the proctor twice about it, it held the room up a good 10 minutes, he ended up leaving at the break.

But story:

guy 1: wow im tired
guy 2: me too dude bro, we should of stopped drinking at 4 (am)
guy 1: Nah it straight dude, its football saturday, ill just write an addedum

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Great thread, everyone.

So on Sat, about 15 mins before the start of the test I was warming up by looking over old (PT 57) questions. Here it goes:

Me: [turning pages silently]
Guy: Hey, do you mind if I take a look at a page?
Me: Yes, I actually, I do...mind
Guy: [has a question mark on his face, and about to ask why I mind]
Me: I am busy [looked back down, ignoring his presence]

This moron got up and left (likely to go pee or bother someone else).

Overall, the people outside the testing center were involved in heavy cancellation debates and chain-smoking. I walked as fast as I could to skip all the second-hand BS around me.

P.S. Given that it was John Lennon's bday, I felt like saying at the end: "I just wanted to say 'thank you' on behalf of the group and i hope we've passed the audition." No one would probably get it, so I didn't.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:49 pm

lennonist wrote:Great thread, everyone.

So on Sat, about 15 mins before the start of the test I was warming up by looking over old (PT 57) questions. Here it goes:

Overall, the people outside the testing center were involved in heavy cancellation debates and chain-smoking. I walked as fast as I could to skip all the second-hand BS around me.

P.S. Given that it was John Lennon's bday, I felt like saying at the end: "I just wanted to say 'thank you' on behalf of the group and i hope we've passed the audition." No one would probably get it, so I didn't.
Why couldn't you give the guy a page?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:50 pm

minnbills wrote:

Is this a serious question?

if so:
a) he should have brought his own effing page
b) he saw i had a bound booklet (i.e. i'd have to tear one out for his highness)

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:52 pm

lennonist wrote:
minnbills wrote:

if so:
b) he saw i had a bound booklet (i.e. i'd have to tear one out for his highness)
Future median or below. I called it.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:53 pm

lennonist wrote:
minnbills wrote:

if so:

What? You can't help someone out? Unless you're planning on retaking and reviewing that same test... what do you care if you tear out a page?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:54 pm

MrKappus wrote:
lennonist wrote:
minnbills wrote:

if so:
Future median or below. I called it.
Ya, just let the guy look at it real quick for gods sake.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”