Overheard at the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
IAFG

Platinum

Re: Overheard at the LSAT

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:44 pm

beautyistruth wrote:
I doubt they slap you on the wrist for getting higher than the 160s :) But (and I've never taken their course), I imagine that some strategies and tips that aim to put people in the 160s could be quite detrimental for trying to fully understand and dominate the test. For example, encouraging students to aim for finishing three out of four logic games, or three out of four passages, rather than helping them figure out how to get through all four with accuracy.
I don't think there's any 170-or-bust test prep company out there though. They're all going to give this sort of advice.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:46 pm

^ Agreed. Kaplan's teaching is still objectively horrible.

Sienna B. Haste

New

Post by Sienna B. Haste » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Br3v wrote:I remembered hearing (had to be the same person) someone drawing huge lines on their paper. Like they just started on one end and dragged their pencil to the other. I wondered what they were doing. This occurred in at least 2, maybe 3 sections. At first I thought they were just on LG before me, but idk. Maybe there is a test prep company that teaches that for games?
Fordham? If so, it was the girl next to me and, yea, I don't know what that was all about.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:16 pm

Took a Kaplan Advanced course. Had an awesome instructor. Boosted my score by 10+ points and ended up at my top choice school. Ain't that somethin.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:27 pm

beachbum wrote:Took a Kaplan Advanced course. Had an awesome instructor. Boosted my score by 10+ points and ended up at my top choice school. Ain't that somethin.
Your duke right? I remember your ask questions thread. Are you a 2L now? How do you like Duke? The more I research the more I like and it's creeping up towards the top of my list.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:28 pm

beachbum wrote:Took a Kaplan Advanced course. Had an awesome instructor. Boosted my score by 10+ points and ended up at my top choice school. Ain't that somethin.
That's based on the instructor. I've had students boost their scores by 10+ in classes before, but that's because I gave tidbits of advice that didn't come from the company. My beef is with Kaplan's study plan/curriculum. They don't give hard tests/questions to give students false hopes.

Congrats on doing well.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Br3v wrote:Your duke right? I remember your ask questions thread. Are you a 2L now? How do you like Duke? The more I research the more I like and it's creeping up towards the top of my list.
I love it. Duke is just a great place to spend three years, and a great community (/alumni network) to be a part of. If I could do it over again, I would choose Duke every time. And if you're serious about attending, I would definitely encourage you to visit: The people and the community here definitely make the experience.

Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions; I have plenty of free time these days and would be happy to answer any questions.
gaud wrote:That's based on the instructor. I've had students boost their scores by 10+ in classes before, but that's because I gave tidbits of advice that didn't come from the company. My beef is with Kaplan's study plan/curriculum. They don't give hard tests/questions to give students false hopes.

Congrats on doing well.
It's been a few years now, but I seem to recall us working exclusively with real tests and test questions. Maybe things have changed since I went through the system.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:47 pm

beachbum wrote:
gaud wrote:That's based on the instructor. I've had students boost their scores by 10+ in classes before, but that's because I gave tidbits of advice that didn't come from the company. My beef is with Kaplan's study plan/curriculum. They don't give hard tests/questions to give students false hopes.

Congrats on doing well.
It's been a few years now, but I seem to recall us working exclusively with real tests and test questions. Maybe things have changed since I went through the system.
I never said they didn't give actual questions (?). They still give real tests and questions. As someone who took the test three times though, I can certainly tell you that they have a strategy on which ones they give. That's waht I'm getting at. They don't give tests with the stricter curve. They strive to instill false hopes. They don't give the harder logic games that students may see on test-day, they give the ones that will be easy to understand. The system gives students an unrealistic expectation.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:51 pm

And maybe I should be a little bit clearer. Kaplan is fine. That's it. They are better, for some students, than no prep at all. I would NEVER advocate them, though. There are other companies that are far superior. These other companies have higher hiring standards and a better curriculum. This is why I advise against Kaplan. There are better alternatives. Simple as that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:52 pm

gaud wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Congrats on doing well.
I never said they didn't give actual questions (?). They still give real tests and questions. As someone who took the test three times though, I can certainly tell you that they have a strategy on which ones they give. That's waht I'm getting at. They don't give tests with the stricter curve. They strive to instill false hopes. They don't give the harder logic games that students may see on test-day, they give the ones that will be easy to understand. The system gives students an unrealistic expectation.
I guess. Again, it's probably been too long for me to debate you with any sort of specificity. But, to reiterate, I had a great experience, and I didn't feel as though Kaplan was sheltering my fragile ego from any difficult test/questions. We were also encouraged to do regular PTs on our own. But I guess you could be right. Kaplan worked well for me, though.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Lol I'm glad you don't want to debate. I don't really care enough. And don't get me wrong, I'm happy to hear of another student who did well at Kaplan. My experiences working for them just have me jaded (if it wasn't obvious).

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:36 pm

My only experience with Kaplan was their LSAT 180 book. Great concept (hardest questions only!) but horrible execution because there were a handful of typos that ruined my day. (One off the top of my head was in a passage they replaced the word "crust" with "crystal" and I was pissed as hell at one of the questions.)

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Take this stupid debate somewhere else. You guys are ruining one of the best threads on TLS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pedestrian

Bronze

Post by pedestrian » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:41 pm

EvilClinton wrote:Take this stupid debate somewhere else. You guys are ruining one of the best threads on TLS.
+1

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:54 pm

This thread is like post-1950s Detroit.

Eberry

Diamond

Post by Eberry » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:This thread is like post-1950s Detroit.

Full of race riots?

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Eberry wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:This thread is like post-1950s Detroit.

Full of race riots?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:09 pm

Most of this thread feels like some awkward, snarky forum that would exist if all the frequent business flyers got together and decided to make fun of the proles who don't know that their laptops have to be in a separate bin when they go through security. How is this the best thread on TLS?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:10 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Most of this thread feels like some awkward, snarky forum that would exist if all the frequent business flyers got together and decided to make fun of the proles who don't know that their laptops have to be in a separate bin when they go through security. How is this the best thread on TLS?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Last edited by alwayssunnyinfl on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:12 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Most of this thread feels like some awkward, snarky forum that would exist if all the frequent business flyers got together and decided to make fun of the proles who don't know that their laptops have to be in a separate bin when they go through security. How is this the best thread on TLS?
There is little competition for the best thread on TLS. See below:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 10&t=28585

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:13 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Br3v wrote: 171
:lol:

I wanna retake just to prove I can do better.
I'll wait

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:14 pm

gaud wrote:

OFWG's confessionals thread was one of my all time favorites.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:15 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
gaud wrote:

OFWG's confessionals thread was one of my all time favorites.
Did the one "OFWG place to express himself poetically" ever take off? I remember he hadn't seen it for awhile and then I took a small hiatus from TLS

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 pm

That was a great thread, but there weren't enough boobs. Boobs + thread = best thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”